No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Wouldn t mind Ritchie directing Bond, and it would be nice to have someone in place as soon as possible.
    Curious to see who will write it if Ritchie directs and who will score it?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    Pass on Ritchie. Come on.

Agreed. He's a horrible idea.
  • I say yes to Ritchie... either for Craig's 5th or a fresh start with Bond #7.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I'm all for Ritchie. Roll in.
    Love his 2 Sherlock Holmes films, but not sure if he would be a good fit for Bond?
    I still think Nolan would be a guranteed billion dollar film.
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    I still think Nolan would be a guranteed billion dollar film.

No, he would not. It is a dream.

• edited December 2015 Posts: 709
    Guy Ritchie in frame as Bond director after The Man From U.N.C.L.E success:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/guy-ritchie-frame-bond-director-6962038

Man from Uncle....SUCCESS?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=uncle.htm

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
    echo wrote: »
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    Pass on Ritchie. Come on.

Agreed. He's a horrible idea.

This tabloid gossip item is a plant by Ritchie's team. He is no doubt salivating at the thought of directing a Bond.

ION now has the clout to go after the best directors in the world for 25. No way is Ritchie in that group. Yes, some posters loved Uncle but there is also the fact that Richie's Uncle was a flop. What gossip item plant will be next, "Richie will direct Cavill in Bond 25." This tidbit will probably be in the Daily Fail in 2 days.

• Yep. Ritchie is just a British tabloid name that can be thrown out there to generate a few clicks.

EON is all about the prestige these days. If Mendes leaves, they will want someone comparable, with Oscar and critical acclaim pedigree. That's why I really think we should be prepared for Tom Hooper to start showing up heavily in the rumor mill, who is on record as saying he'd be interested.
  • Richie as director. I don't see it. After SKYFALL when Mendes said he wasn't coming back I wanted Joe Wright. Even after the disaster that was PAN i still think Joe Wright could direct a Bond film. It will be visually stylish with Wright at the helm. He even said he was interested during Skyfall's release.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 15,423
    The thing is, I don't see it happening yet. Because the film series are still under the influence of the dark Nolan avalanche and regardless of the few throw-ins of the old fashioned humour in pedestrian mode, Spectre is still a Nolan-inspired flick. And I heavily believe there is at least one more story in the arc to tell, if not two, and the organization along with Blofeld will indeed have at least an involvement.

Guy Ritchie directs pulp. And pulp often requires stylish humour and escapism in the tone, like the Sherlock Holmes and UNCLE categories, and even Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels of the old. Violence is there, but nothing is taken too seriously most of the time without being a parody of themselves. The Bond films are not there in terms of their journey so far. So, Ritchie isn't a likely choice as of yet.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 725
    The thing is, I don't see it happening yet. Because the film series are still under the influence of the dark Nolan avalanche and regardless of the few throw-ins of the old fashioned humour in pedestrian mode, Spectre is still a Nolan-inspired flick. And I heavily believe there is at least one more story in the arc to tell, if not two, and the organization along with Blofeld will indeed have at least an involvement.

Guy Ritchie directs pulp. And pulp often requires stylish humour and escapism in the tone, like the Sherlock Holmes and UNCLE categories, and even Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels of the old. Violence is there, but nothing is taken too seriously most of the time without being a parody of themselves. The Bond films are not there in terms of their journey so far. So, Ritchie isn't a likely choice as of yet.

Your post covers all the reasons Ritchie won't be directing 25 far better than my post
    noted. @dinovelvet's post about the prestige issue also nails it.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 709
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    If Babs wants 25 in 2017 then I bet we have 25 then.

...sounds like with or without him.

OK, what I don't understand here is - If DC comes back for Bond 25 vs If DC doesn't come back and they hire a new actor, won't these be COMPLETELY different films? As in story, characters, themes, tone, everything? So how can they start developing a new film without knowing if they're continuing an era or starting over again? They can't just write a script for Daniel Craig's Bond and then just put someone else in the role, because DC's era has built up very precise themes, characters, and relationships, specific to the way he plays Bond.

I presume a Daniel Craig Bond 25 is going to continue with ongoing relationships involving M, Q, Moneypenny, Tanner, Madeleine Swann, and possibly SPECTRE/Blofeld again. Now if DC steps down, what, are they going to stick Idris Cavill in there and pretend he's the same person who was Franz Oberhauser's adopted brother who held the dying Judi Dench M in his arms, and he's just going to pick up the exact same relationship with Moneypenny, M, and Q?
    If they have to recast, then that means a new supporting cast too. A 40 year old Moneypenny with a new younger actor isn't going to work. I suspect they'd want to get a new Q as well since 35 year old Ben Whishaw is no longer the "young upstart" who clashes with the older Bond. They would probably keep Fiennes as M the same way they kept Judi.
    I think when Craig leaves, the series will be relaunched again.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    Guy Ritchie in frame as Bond director after The Man From U.N.C.L.E success:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/guy-ritchie-frame-bond-director-6962038

Man from Uncle....SUCCESS?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=uncle.htm

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

This. The title of the article already gives way to showcasing how much of a horribly contrived rumor the rest of the article is.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    That is possible. Or they may just continue on with an actor in his 40's like they've done in the past. I'm curious to see which whey they go (soft reboot with a younger actor or straight continuation of timeline).
    bondjames wrote: »
    That is possible. Or they may just continue on with an actor in his 40's like they've done in the past. I'm curious to see which whey they go (soft reboot with a younger actor or straight continuation of timeline).
    If they go with an older Bond who is the same age as the Bond we have now in the films (not the actor's age, the character, just to confirm), then we might not need a reboot, at all, for a short amount of time. But, as this character does age, his birth year being 1968, I think in the future, we might get a Bond that isn't the current one we have in the shoes.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Yes, that's possible @ClarkDevlin. They are in an interesting position now, having rebooted and given this Bond a bit of continuity and a specific timeline. I really don't know what they are going to do, but I have to agree with those who suggest that if it's a new actor for B25, then we likely aren't going to see it before 2018, because they have a lot to figure out in terms of direction.
    I think Q, M, Tanner & Moneypenny can be carried over to another era. But I have a feeling EON & Babs asked Dan if he was up for B25 if they started the SPECTRE story.
    There's not a cat's chance in hell of Guy Richie directing a Bond movie. And whoever said he's a proper Londoner clearly doesn't know his onions and should go to the bottom of the class - he's a Hertfordshire lad! Besides, the script for Bond 25 is well in advance. There's no need for a director to be attached at the writing strage, especially one of Richie's caliber. A made-up story.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I like onions.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 5,979
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    I think Q, M, Tanner & Moneypenny can be carried over to another era. But I have a feeling EON & Babs asked Dan if he was up for B25 if they started the SPECTRE story.

I tend to agree. Whishaw and Harris are young enough to carry over, and let's face it, Fiennes will only get better with age. It's the ideal pension for him (not that he needs it, but all actors want to act and he could have a Lee-esque run).

This is probably why Craig got the co-producer credit as well.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I don't know obviously but I kinda get the feeling Craig wasn't entertaining not returning for B25 at the start of SP.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 154
    Craig got a co-producer credit on SP mainly to compete, mythologically, with the Mission Impossible series. Part of the public respect for the MI series comes from the fact that its star is also its producer -- plus the fact that Cruise does a lot of his own stunts. This is the reason that a marketing point was made of saying "that's really Craig running across those roof tops in SPECTRE" (as though that truly compares to really hanging outside a flying airplane or outside a skyscraper).
    gklein wrote: »
    (as though that truly compares to really hanging outside a flying airplane or outside a skyscraper).

Dubious.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    I don't know obviously but I kinda get the feeling Craig wasn't entertaining not returning for B25 at the start of SP.

My thoughts exactly. SP ends ready to see certain characters return who have not been killed. This suggests to me at least that B25 will have a story arc that encompasses part of SP. That would look silly with a fresh Bond actor, as a new actor needs to own the role, not simply be a Daniel Craig stand in. I believe, therefore, that B25 was discussed with Craig while or before the script to SP was developed, and he will return.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Craig got a co-producer credit on SP mainly to compete, mythologically, with the Mission Impossible series. Part of the public respect for the MI series comes from the fact that its star is also its producer -- plus the fact that Cruise does a lot of his own stunts. This is the reason that a marketing point was made of saying "that's really Craig running across those roof tops in SPECTRE" (as though that truly compares to really hanging outside a flying airplane or outside a skyscraper).
    Yeah, or moving around on top of a train at high speeds.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 725

Many SF articles noted that Craig asked Mendes to direct SF and also offered Bardem his role before getting EON's approval. He also was heavily involved with all of his films scripts, for better or worse as he is no writer. He should have had co-producer status on SF, his credit on SP was probably in recognition of that. Cruise's responsibility for the MI films is huge, but it doesn't diminish Craig's behind the camera responsibilities on his 4 Bonds and Cruise dangerously hanging from stuff shouldn't diminish Craig's heavy stunt work on all 4 of his films.