No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Walecs wrote: »
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Interesting comments from the BAFTA New York SPECTRE Screening and Q&A:
    The head of Spectre is Ernst Blofeld, referred to as No. 1 in the Ian Fleming books.
    Wrong. He is referred to as No. 2 in the Ian Fleming books. Poor journalism as usual.
    Wait really?
    I did not know this... I need to read the books ( :((( )
    Who is #1 ?
    I wish they would stop being such sluggos (Boris) and get working hard on pre-production in February, not in the spring or whenever they feel like getting around to it.
    Feb is long enough break.
    Cripes how much time off do they need?
    Most of us in the real world barely get our minimum 3 weeks off.
    Craig needs to make Bond his first priority.
    There is nothing more important that he needs to be doing. Only 6 men have been charged with the awesome responsibility of playing James Bond, and each with a limited time window.
    So get cracking all of you, and get the next movie out by Nov 2017 latest.
    Just do it!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 10
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    It is absolutely plausible to get these out every other year. I never said it'd be the easiest route, but it's most certainly plausible, and any arguments stating we would get an inferior product if that were the case are unfounded. Tacking on one extra year to the production or delaying it a year could possibly help, but it's never any sort of guarantee.

I'm pretty certain Spectre would have come out in 2014 if Mendes hadn't being so tied up with other projects.

I don't get it everyone wanted Spectre and Blofeld back now we have them and everyone want them to go way?

I say have one more film with Spectre and blofeld before killing him off for another 30 years
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,399
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I didn't want Blofeld or SPECTRE back either for the same reasons. I was afraid that EON would repeat the same mistakes with him. That being said, I was very happy with Waltz's portrayal of the character and hope they keep him on as Blofeld for at least one more film and have Craig have a final one on one with him and finish out the SPECTRE arch and close the book on Daniel's run and SPECTRE's arch and go back to Bond fighting new and original threats. Plenty of unused Fleming villains left, I want to see them adapted.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Starting spring 2016 seems soon...and yes I know they mean just early development. I hope they aren't using same writers.
  • EndCredit007EndCredit007 EGYPT
    I read this as "go and see Spectre it was so successful that we are doing a sequel next year"
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Craig is tied up with Othello next year, so wouldn't that be a perfect time to get the story/script in place?
  • In an interview with the Norwegian film magazine CINEMA, Léa Seydoux says she would like to return in Bond 25:

http://www.cine.no/incoming/article1250777.ece
    I have no desire to see Mendes direct another Bond film. And I certainly have no interest in a trilogy. Move on. Let's have a stand alone Bond without all the psychological mumbo jumbo since the death of Vesper. I didn't mind Seydoux, even though she seemed too young, but let's be done with her. Let's have a new invigorated Bond whereby someone in the secret service determines that now, more than ever, having a field agent capable of infiltrating a secret organization is important. Let's not blow up any more London locations. Let's dispatch Blofeld in the PTS, but in a way that is not comically preposterous. There were so many ways Waltz could have been a more effective Blofeld, but the writers seemed not have lacked inspiration.

In LTK Bond gets very close to Sanchez. Lot's of danger there because you never knew when his cover would be blown.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    royale65 wrote: »
    Craig is tied up with Othello next year, so wouldn't that be a perfect time to get the story/script in place?
    Not if Dan himself is involved. That still doesn't mean he can't find time to work on the script alongside whoever else is.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Bond 25 in 2017, make it happen. I prefer the two year schedule anyway because it allows for taking more chances and not sweating a failure as much. It also allows a great Bond (Craig) to make more films in his prime.

I certainly understand anyone's desire to avoid stress. Like most people, I'm stressed, but I'm also not paid millions of dollars with months of down time. They need to get on with it. A well oiled machine can accomplish a lot by continuously working rather than shutting down. I'd forgive them the occasional three year gap for a breather, necessary recalibration or perfecting a script (ahem).

I respect and appreciate Craig's commitment and role in co-producing, but that is obviously taxing him more than just acting in it. They should ease the heavy lifting by hiring whatever else is needed... a finished script, more stunt coordinators, a director who understands Fleming, Bond, the reboot, the greatness of Terence Young and the need to create a compelling modern evil network, SPECTRE.

I want Lea Sedoux back too. Hinx as well. Waltz in the background. New, great, villain.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited November 2015 Posts: 40,459
    @DoctorNo, as we've said, it won't happen IF Craig is returning for a fifth movie. By the time they would have to start shooting next year, he'll be in the midst of doing some theater work and won't be available for a while.

@Suivez_ce_parachute, I wouldn't say the torture sequence in SP was a plothole; Blofeld clearly states that Bond won't recognize anyone IF he punctures the correct spot in his neck upon the second drilling. It goes without saying that he doesn't penetrate the right area, thus it only causes some minor pain and disorientation for Bond.
    Thank you Creasy47 I caught that the third time clearly the drill missed which makes bond the most luckiest man in the world.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited November 2015 Posts: 5,962
    Murdock wrote: »
    I didn't want Blofeld or SPECTRE back either for the same reasons. I was afraid that EON would repeat the same mistakes with him. That being said, I was very happy with Waltz's portrayal of the character and hope they keep him on as Blofeld for at least one more film and have Craig have a final one on one with him and finish out the SPECTRE arch and close the book on Daniel's run and SPECTRE's arch and go back to Bond fighting new and original threats. Plenty of unused Fleming villains left, I want to see them adapted.

I was also on record here a while back as not being in favor of Blofeld returning. They stumbled with his reintroduction.

When Craig returns, I just hope they find a better balance of psychology and plain old spycraft. I don't want to see all of the Spectre villains return (especially not Lucia and HInx--they're served their purpose); the film will be top-heavy already with Blofeld and Madeleine in addition to the MI6 crew. Give us some new and fresh characters and plotting.
    Obviously B25 will set up a new plot with new characters. I wouldnt be suprised if Blofeld gets the same amount of screentime in B25 as he did in SP.
    dragonsky wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Interesting comments from the BAFTA New York SPECTRE Screening and Q&A:
    The head of Spectre is Ernst Blofeld, referred to as No. 1 in the Ian Fleming books.
    Wrong. He is referred to as No. 2 in the Ian Fleming books. Poor journalism as usual.
    Wait really?
    I did not know this... I need to read the books ( :((( )
    Who is #1 ?

Numerical denominations are shifted in the novels. So sometimes he's number one, sometimes someone else it. It just so happens that in Fleming's Thunderball, he is number 2.

But each member knows which number Blofeld is assigned and at what time, and that he is in charge. It's just another level of confusion for anyone outside, as number one isn't constantly the same person or same rank.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited November 2015 Posts: 15,423
    HASEROT wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    I don't want to see all of the Spectre villains return (especially not Lucia and HInx--they're served their purpose); the film will be top-heavy already with Blofeld and Madeleine in addition to the MI6 crew. Give us some new and fresh characters and plotting.

i think Hinx is prime to return, ala - Jaws... and i would welcome it.. considering everything his character went through - to merely be dragged off a train seems like a weak way to go... but - we never saw his demise, nor did we see a body - so i think his return is perfectly plausible - he was one of the highlights of SP for me....... actually, i thought he was going to return to fight Bond one last time in the ruins of the old MI6 at the end (which they probably should've done lol).
    I agree with that. While I don't think we'll be able to have more arc extracted from Lucia, who served her purpose and did say she only knew her husband was part of that committee and that's that, the only character that would be returning in his full form is Hinx. Someone with that shape and strength who is a hard man to kill wouldn't end up like that. Just like Jaws, he will return. If not for B-25, then probably for the next one.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I wouldn't be so sure.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,116
    Yes I thought Fleming's idea to shift the numbers was very clever. I wish that would make or translate in film someday.

Forgot Blofeld was umm number 2 in TB novel.
  • Risico007 wrote: »
    I don't get it everyone wanted Spectre and Blofeld back now we have them and everyone want them to go way?

I say have one more film with Spectre and blofeld before killing him off for another 30 years

I'd be fine with that had the plan to use Blofeld and Spectre been built up over a few movies like it was in the Connery era. Instead we had 1 film (Spectre) try and ret-con Blofeld into the previous 3 movies in an incredibly sloppy manner. I want Bond 25 to have virtually no connection to Spectre, bring them back when they actually spend time putting together a full plot.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    bondboy007 wrote: »
    I'd be fine with that had the plan to use Blofeld and Spectre been built up over a few movies like it was in the Connery era. Instead we had 1 film (Spectre) try and ret-con Blofeld into the previous 3 movies in an incredibly sloppy manner. I want Bond 25 to have virtually no connection to Spectre, bring them back when they actually spend time putting together a full plot.
    I agree with you and think they will take one of two routes with B25:

1. come back relatively quickly with a resolution to this story and try to tie all the points together (likely to be difficult to do given the hash they made of it, but perhaps necessary). This is more likely if DC is back, since wrapping it up makes sense.
    2. forget this altogether and move forward with a new story like you suggest. That would be even more likely if we get a new actor for B25

• Does the distributor have any word to say in the creative process ? Such as cast, director, script ?
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited November 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Ireland a possible location? -Barbs said in 2013 at the Institute of Directors event at the weekend in support of the film industry in Ireland.

“we’ll come here. Ireland is gorgeous. I’d love to come here and make a Bond film" .

I understand she wanted to feature Ireland in Spectre but it did not work out for location against the story