Bond vs Hinx - Where does it rank among other fight scenes in the series?

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    mepal1 wrote: »
    Did hear that a scene from the fight had to be cut by the censors!

Please tell me you're joking.

• DariusDarius UK
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Hinx definitely deserved more screen time but for the time he was on screen he was excellent.

I'm calling it right now--Hinx is the best henchman in Bond history.

Whoah!! (That's English for stop a horse!)

That's quite a bold claim Sir!

A very good entrance and fight but I feel the writing stopped him from being great.

What exactly is his motivation? Just to kill Bond it seems in the car chase and the train - which is fair enough. Except Blofeld sends the car to pick Bond up so he doesn't want him dead then? Buggered if I know.

Similarly why does he kidnap Madeline rather than kill her? White is nothing to SPECTRE and, indeed dead, so what is their interest in Madeline at all? Where is Hinx taking her in the car?

Or is it just to lure Bond because C is helping them track him via the smart blood (that's a seriously wank name for it by the way - just call it a chip like in CR)?

We just need a little scene where Hinx's motivations are made clear. From his introduction it seems like he is applying for membership to SPECTRE so is he just doing all this to impress Blofeld? Or is he actually under orders?

It's really not enough for him just to keep popping up all over the place without knowing why. Jaws similarly kept popping up trying to kill Bond but that was fine because he was told to 'eliminate anyone who comes into contact with that microfilm' so hence Fekkesh and Kalba bought it and Bond and Anya are next.

But Hinx for reasons known only to himself wants to kill Bond and kidnap Madeline. That's not good enough I'm afraid.

And certainly not good enough to make him best henchman of all time.

Giddyup! that's English horse-speak for "pedal to the metal".

Couldn't agree more.

Hinx is just a slab of beefcake whose sole purpose is to pop up from time to time to "giddyup" things a little and give Bond an excuse to indulge in a little action. He has no lines other than "Oh shit!", he has no character development, no personality, no backstory, no interior motivation, little or no exterior motivation and worst of all, if you removed him, it would make no difference to the plot whatsoever.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Did hear that a scene from the fight had to be cut by the censors!

Please tell me you're joking.

There is footage from the various trailers that are NOT in the final movie. So I can imagine there might be more footage of the train fight as well.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 2,483
    Hinx definitely deserved more screen time but for the time he was on screen he was excellent.

I'm calling it right now--Hinx is the best henchman in Bond history.

Whoah!! (That's English for stop a horse!)

That's quite a bold claim Sir!

A very good entrance and fight but I feel the writing stopped him from being great.

What exactly is his motivation? Just to kill Bond it seems in the car chase and the train - which is fair enough. Except Blofeld sends the car to pick Bond up so he doesn't want him dead then? Buggered if I know.

Similarly why does he kidnap Madeline rather than kill her? White is nothing to SPECTRE and, indeed dead, so what is their interest in Madeline at all? Where is Hinx taking her in the car?

Or is it just to lure Bond because C is helping them track him via the smart blood (that's a seriously wank name for it by the way - just call it a chip like in CR)?

We just need a little scene where Hinx's motivations are made clear. From his introduction it seems like he is applying for membership to SPECTRE so is he just doing all this to impress Blofeld? Or is he actually under orders?

It's really not enough for him just to keep popping up all over the place without knowing why. Jaws similarly kept popping up trying to kill Bond but that was fine because he was told to 'eliminate anyone who comes into contact with that microfilm' so hence Fekkesh and Kalba bought it and Bond and Anya are next.

But Hinx for reasons known only to himself wants to kill Bond and kidnap Madeline. That's not good enough I'm afraid.

And certainly not good enough to make him best henchman of all time.

Hinx's motivation is clear as mother's milk to me. Bond not only killed a SPECTRE operative (Sciarra), but penetrated the organization's defenses and spied on one of its meetings. Doing this to an organization as ruthless as SPECTRE is obviously a death sentence and Hinx, as the newest member of SPECTRE and therefore with the most to prove, makes it his mission to carry out that sentence.

But really, the motivations of henchmen are far less important than their air of menace and redoubtability. And by that measure Hinx is the greatest. No other villain in series history struck me as implacably deadly as Hinx.

• Might be my favorite fight in the series.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    No other villain in series history struck me as implacably deadly as Hinx.

I was kind of with you up until this point.

Two words: Red Grant.

You may be right about Hinx's motivation I suppose but I still have two questions:

Why was he kidnapping Madeline?

And if Blofeld is so keen for Bond to be dead why does he send the car for him? Or is this similar to FRWL? The car is coming to pick up the bloke who has just killed Bond on the train and Bond commandeers it?
  • Blofeld, as demonstrated unmistakably during the almost unwatchable drill torture, is a sadistic psychopath. That being the case, and considering his desire to harm Bond maximally, it only stands to reason that Blofeld send Hinx after Swann in order to author still more pain for Bond.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 7,653
    The Trainfight had the same problem for me as the chase in Rome and the confrontation in the office at the end, where heck were the other people it almost felt unreal how 007's world seems to occupy another dimension not occupied by humans.

Expecially noteworthy was the confrontation between C & M, for an office going online within 30 minutes it was rather empty. We all know by now how many people would be on standby when something that important goes online.

The movies actionscenes (the pts excepted) makes the QoB action scenes almost look realistic and fun to watch.

As for Hinx, his part never was that impressive he has no character and no real dangerous feeling. Anybody calling him more menacing than Red from FRWL should have his head examined.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 9,117
    it only stands to reason that Blofeld send Hinx after Swann in order to author still more pain for Bond.

Dear oh dear! Are you P&W in disguise trying to justify their feeble script?

So Blofeld sends Hinx to the clinic to kidnap Madeline, a girl who Bond has only met 2 minutes earlier in order to author 'still more pain for Bond'?

In that case why not send Hinx to kill M, Q, Moneypenny, Tanner, Felix, Kincaide, that bird in the beach hut at the start of SF, that bird in the SP PTS in Mexico - basically anyone Bond has ever met because if the intention is to 'author more pain' he has more of a connection with any of these people than a woman he has just had a 5 minute chat with.

Not to mention the inherent idiocy in the notion that Hinx rolls up literally a minute after Bond has left his meeting with Madeline so Blofeld, having watched the CCTV of the scene with Mr White, knew that Bond was on his way there and sent Hinx after him saying 'there's a woman who works in that clinic who is Mr White's daughter who Bond is going to see. Just go and kill her on the off chance Bond falls for her in a 5 minute meeting so that will cause him a but more pain.'

But for some reason your already floundering hypothesis that Blofeld only wants to 'author still more pain for Bond' doesn't extend to the train where Hinx now just wants to kill Bond?

All well and good you like Hinx, and I agree he's a good henchman, but the contortions of logic you are trying to put yourself through in order to convince yourself the part is well written are excruciating to behold.
    SaintMark wrote: »

As for Hinx, his part never was that impressive he has no character and no real dangerous feeling. Anybody calling him more menacing than Red from FRWL should have his head examined.

Extremely difficult to argue with that statement - as @Perilagu_Khan has proven above!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    The movies actionscenes (the pts excepted) makes the QoB action scenes almost look realistic and fun to watch.

I never thought I'd feel this way (in terms of being positive about those action scenes in QoS in relation to another film) but I'm afraid I have to reluctantly agree with you. The SP action scenes (pretitles & 'copy and paste' Hinx train scene excepted) were sleep inducing & the plane sequence was as exciting as TWINE imho.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 6,396
    Red Grant is, and will always be, the benchmark to which Bond henchmen (Hinx included) aspire to be.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It's the third best for me.

1. Bond vs Grant.
    2. Bond vs 006.
    3. Bond vs Hinx
    4. Bond vs Jaques Bouvar.
    5. Bond vs Slate
    It is very clear that Spectre wants Madeleine dead as she is the daughter of Mr. White.
    But when Blofeld realises that Bond and Swann haven fallen in love he wants to kill her mainly to cause Bond more pain.
    I think that is all very clear and very well written.
    Some people just want to nitpick on the movie without thinking first, or maybe they just haven't paid enough attention at the cinema.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 9,117
    It is very clear that Spectre wants Madeleine dead as she is the daughter of Mr. White.
    But when Blofeld realises that Bond and Swann haven fallen in love he wants to kill her mainly to cause Bond more pain.
    Some people just want to nitpick on the movie without thinking first, or maybe they just haven't paid enough attention at the cinema.

'Very well written' - now there's a quote for them to put on the poster.

So Blofeld (who knows Mr White is dead already) still wants to kill Madeline simply for being his daughter?

I guess I'm just someone who doesn't think first or pay enough attention at the cinema; killing every relative of someone who betrayed you but you have already got your revenge upon by murdering may seem like coherent writing to you but I just keep finding myself asking the question why? If you're going to do it at all why not kill Madeline before you kill White and send him a DVD of it to cause him more pain? After Hinx was done with Madeline did he also have orders to eliminate White's great aunt and third cousin twice removed?

Believe me I don't want to 'nitpick on the movie' (sic).

What I wouldn't say no to though is a 'very well written' script.

So Blofeld (who knows Mr White is dead already) still wants to kill Madeline simply for being his daughter?

I guess I'm just someone who doesn't think first or pay enough attention at the cinema; killing every relative of someone who betrayed you but you have already got your revenge upon by murdering may seem like coherent writing to you but I just keep finding myself asking the question why? If you're going to do it at all why not kill Madeline before you kill White and send him a DVD of it to cause him more pain? After Hinx was done with Madeline did he also have orders to eliminate White's great aunt and third cousin twice removed?

Spectre didn't know where to find Swann, don't you get it??
    And Bond was leading them to her. It's even in the dialogue in the movie for Heaven's sake.
    Personally i wanted Hinx to really beat up Bond...........which he pretty much did.......until that Swann came along and intervened! :))
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    How did Spectre know where to find Swann? I know White mentioned it to Bond, but did he tell him (in front of the camera) or hint it to him somehow (can't remember and have only seen the film once)?

If in front of the camera, that explains it, but if it was hinted, how did they know where to look? Surely Bond ensured he was not followed.....
    bondjames wrote: »
    How did Spectre know where to find Swann? I know White mentioned it to Bond, but did he tell him (in front of the camera) or hint it to him somehow (can't remember and have only seen the film once)?

If in front of the camera, that explains it, but if it was hinted, how did they know where to look? Surely Bond ensured he was not followed.....

Spectre knew because the conversation between White and Bond had been recorded, and during the conversation between the two White mentioned where to find his daughter.
    When, Hinx arrives at White's house in Austria, the first thing he does is look at the recording camera and smiles.
    Anyway..........i missed loads of little details on first viewing of the film...........second time viewing was more rewarding!
    bondjames wrote: »

Spectre knew because the conversation between White and Bond had been recorded, and during the conversation between the two White mentioned where to find his daughter.
    When, Hinx arrives at White's house in Austria, the first thing he does is look at the recording camera and smiles.
    Anyway..........i missed loads of little details on first viewing of the film...........second time viewing was more rewarding!

Oh right, I remember now. Thanks. Seems silly for White to say it in front of the camera....that's what I meant. He should have passed Bond a note or something. Anyway, he was about to kill himself so probably not thinking straight.
  • it only stands to reason that Blofeld send Hinx after Swann in order to author still more pain for Bond.

Dear oh dear! Are you P&W in disguise trying to justify their feeble script?

So Blofeld sends Hinx to the clinic to kidnap Madeline, a girl who Bond has only met 2 minutes earlier in order to author 'still more pain for Bond'?

In that case why not send Hinx to kill M, Q, Moneypenny, Tanner, Felix, Kincaide, that bird in the beach hut at the start of SF, that bird in the SP PTS in Mexico - basically anyone Bond has ever met because if the intention is to 'author more pain' he has more of a connection with any of these people than a woman he has just had a 5 minute chat with.

Not to mention the inherent idiocy in the notion that Hinx rolls up literally a minute after Bond has left his meeting with Madeline so Blofeld, having watched the CCTV of the scene with Mr White, knew that Bond was on his way there and sent Hinx after him saying 'there's a woman who works in that clinic who is Mr White's daughter who Bond is going to see. Just go and kill her on the off chance Bond falls for her in a 5 minute meeting so that will cause him a but more pain.'

But for some reason your already floundering hypothesis that Blofeld only wants to 'author still more pain for Bond' doesn't extend to the train where Hinx now just wants to kill Bond?

All well and good you like Hinx, and I agree he's a good henchman, but the contortions of logic you are trying to put yourself through in order to convince yourself the part is well written are excruciating to behold.

Extremely difficult to argue with that statement - as @Perilagu_Khan has proven above!

Heh heh. Take a deep breath, junior. There. That's better. Feeling okay, now? Good. Glad to hear it. Because you have veered so far from my original assertion that Hinx is the best henchman that I'm feeling vertiginous. The integrity of the entirety of SP's script is not at issue. I'm not one of those obsessives who dissects every Bond script in search of the easily attained fulfillment that comes with saying "Gotcha!" By their very nature Bond films are outlandish escapism, not a densely footnoted treatise from Gotlob Frege on the mathematical basis of formal logic. Parsing Bond scripts with the sort of monomania you display is easier than shooting fish in a barrel. But at any rate, have fun. As for me, this sort of microscopic scrutiny is the very antitheses of fun.

And Hinx is still the best henchman.
  • SaintMark wrote: »
    The Trainfight had the same problem for me as the chase in Rome and the confrontation in the office at the end, where heck were the other people it almost felt unreal how 007's world seems to occupy another dimension not occupied by humans.

Expecially noteworthy was the confrontation between C & M, for an office going online within 30 minutes it was rather empty. We all know by now how many people would be on standby when something that important goes online.

Ironic words coming from a man who goes through life dragging a portable couch.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    And Hinx is still the best henchman.
    IMHO Hink is not the 'best' henchman (I think Grant still owns that), but I WILL say that Bond vs. Hinx was my favourite fight of the franchise, and easily the equal of the best of them.

Spectre didn't know where to find Swann, don't you get it??
    And Bond was leading them to her. It's even in the dialogue in the movie for Heaven's sake.

Yes thanks for pointing out the bleeding obvious. I do get it that Bond led them to her.

The question I asked which you conveniently just chose to ignore is why did they want to kill her? Just as a petty act of revenge against the already dead White? What threat is she to SPECTRE?

Is this really how the most fearsome criminal organisation in the world spends its time?

Unless maybe they'd made the same mistake with Camille and didn't want Madeline coming back to haunt them. Because all the Craig films are so cunningly interwoven aren't they?
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,418
    Unless maybe they'd made the same mistake with Camille and didn't want Madeline coming back to haunt them. Because all the Craig films are so cunningly interwoven aren't they?

You've just revealed the plot for B25!

SPECTRE would like Swann dead, because she knows about SPECTRE. Simple. What's that you say? Why didn't SPECTRE, with all it's resources, track down Swann beforehand? Well.......
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    A good fight but I'm sort of troubled by the fact that before the uninvited guest turns up (via a reflection like the goon in the PTS of Goldfinger) there are some people in the carriage, but once the action starts it's just Bond, Swann and Hinx, I think an establishing shot of the last patrons leaving showing Bond and Swann alone before the fight would have worked better, because as I watched it I was thinking 'what happened to the other passengers?'
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    I thought the fight was excellent. It was intense and brutal and I really felt Bond's desperation. For some reason, I really enjoyed when Bond threw the candle at Hinx which set his coat ablaze.

I agree, and you're right about the lack of motivations. Based on the trailers, I thought Hinx was going to be Oberhauser's muscle and the go to man to fix certain situations. But it turns out (or what I gathered at least) is he was essentially a nobody with high ambitions to get a spot at the big table.
    A good fight but I'm sort of troubled by the fact that before the uninvited guest turns up (via a reflection like the goon in the PTS of Goldfinger) there are some people in the carriage, but once the action starts it's just Bond, Swann and Hinx, I think an establishing shot of the last patrons leaving showing Bond and Swann alone before the fight would have worked better, because as I watched it I was thinking 'what happened to the other passengers?'

While a shot of some passengers bugging out would have been nice, I don't think it was really necessary. Once the gunshots rung out, I think its safe to assume people scrambled for the nearest exits.
    royale65 wrote: »

SPECTRE would like Swann dead, because she knows about SPECTRE. Simple. What's that you say? Why didn't SPECTRE, with all it's resources, track down Swann beforehand? Well.......

So why take her for a ride through the alps? Hinx not at all bothered about driving insanely through Rome or killing someone in public in a train carriage (albeit the public all mysteriously disappear). Why not just shoot Madeline in the face at the clinic and walk out rather than take her somewhere quiet to do it?
    royale65 wrote: »

So why take her for a ride through the alps? Hinx not at all bothered about driving insanely through Rome or killing someone in public in a train carriage (albeit the public all mysteriously disappear). Why not just shoot Madeline in the face at the clinic and walk out rather than take her somewhere quiet to do it?

Oberhauser for sure wanted to see her first, after all he remembered her.
    Rome wasn't mysteriously empty. There is visible traffic, if not much but it's nighttime.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    All other things aside, it was a great fight, one of the best. But, not to take away from the awesomeness of the fight, there aren't many other fights of this calibre in the series (for starters most of the Moore and Dalton era is out)
  • RC7RC7

I believe this was the point. It adds a wraithlike feel to certain scenes.