Music in SPECTRE

Comments

AceHole wrote: »
    delfloria wrote: »
    Fraid I'm old school and just want the James Bond theme played in full just once during the film. After that Newman can do whatever he wants.

Agreed. Though I do like it being musically 'hinted at' in the PTS and perhaps one or two of the early scenes.
    But the full-on Bond Brass section & guitar should only be used once, in one triumphant scene. Otherwise it just feels forced & amateurish.
    TND had way too much of it, it just irked.

You both loved Skyfall then? It had the whole Bond theme once, Breadcrumbs, and was in plenty of other action cues, every time Bond did something bondian.
    Walecs wrote: »
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    That tells us very little.

Would have been keen to know how Newman has incorporated it into the film.

The only morsel of new info is Mendes saying the songs helps with the storytelling, which is perhaps a tiny indication it will appear during the film, a la WHATTITW.
    So is it confirmed that it will appear?

What part of that sounds like confirmation?

He spoke of Newman incorporating WOTW as a certainty.

I didn't get that sense at all. I think he just means the song itself helps the storytelling because it is very much a song about the movie.

Well, in any case, in the tracklist of the SPECTRE album we do have an instrumental version of WOTW, which makes us think it's going to be used at some point.
    It suggests that Newman has incorporated WOTW into the score. I'm hoping he has anyway.
    It suggests that Newman has incorporated WOTW into the score. I'm hoping he has anyway.

Does it really matter ?
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Skyfail wrote: »

Does it really matter ?

Yes, it'll make the difference between a good score and a beautiful score.
    Skyfail wrote: »

Does it really matter ?

Err... In the sense that properly working the title song into the score is a defining characteristic of many (most?) of the great Bond movies, then we'll, yes. Absolutely.

If you don't care about this kind of stuff then fair enough, but these issues are the bread and butter of a Bond forum, IMO.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    We need the guitar portion of the theme playing!
  • michallo_wmichallo_w Szczecin, Poland
    Instrumantal WOTW sounds pretty amazing!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Thanks @michallo_w. Can someone confirm if this instrumental clip above is a re-orchestration rather than a simple instrumental?

I still find difficult to listen to the actual song without getting nauseous, so if someone could please let me know, I'd appreciate it. To my ears at least, it has been orchestrated specifically for the film (by Newman?) and is not just an instrumental version of the song without singing.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It's the same song as Smith's without his voice. No differences in orchestra.
    Murdock wrote: »
    It's the same song as Smith's without his voice. No differences in orchestra.

Ok, thanks @Murdock. It doesn't sound too bad like this actually, although it still has a bit of a Disney vibe in places to me. Bearable.
    No problem. I love the instrumental version. It's a nice listen.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    I much prefer the song with Smith's vocals.
    I was hoping for a lush original orchestration by Newman. Is there any indication that the score itself borrows any cues from the song?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I was hoping for a lush original orchestration by Newman. Is there any indication that the score itself borrows any cues from the song?

None, yet. However the instrumental version on the soundtrack (which differs from the one above) is fantastic, at least!
  • HMBFFHMBFF Lisboa, Portugal
    edited October 2015 Posts: 204
    The instrumental version is very good.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    How has only one person posted this?
    http://hd-music.info/album.cgi/7517
    edited October 2015 Posts: 23,883
    How has only one person posted this?
    http://hd-music.info/album.cgi/7517

Thanks @dominicgreene.

The clips are way too short to be able to really tell anything. I have a feeling the score will fit the accompanying scenes like a glove (something Newman is very good at) but I'm not hearing too much melody in those admittedly very brief samples.

It definitely has an SF flavour to it, but slightly amped up.

I think we'll only really be able to tell tomorrow once it's released.
  • HMBFFHMBFF Lisboa, Portugal
    Heard it through the grapevine, that the soundtrack is already online... ;)
    Like the variations on the Skyfall underground chase in "Tempus Fugit"
  • Secret Room is fantastic. This is what I wanted last time around. Classic Newman with some Bond flair. His attempts at mimicking Barry's romanticism and Arnold's wall of sound action fell a little short of the mark. Far better improvement here.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Doesn't seem to be working for me.
    Is there an OST review thread?
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 2
    I've kept quiet about this until hearing the whole soundtrack - particularly as many others here have commented far better upon the Barry/Arnold/Newman mimicry and style debate (that and the main reason I created an account long ago was to share Aston DB5 serial info with a fellow member) - but I feel obligated to chime in about the results of Newman's work.

Mind you, I don't discount the amount of effort it takes to score and arrange ANY soundtrack. I can appreciate the work it takes.

BUT - Spectre sounds as if it was phoned-in from Skyfall.

Yes, I can see Newman's score working fine within the context of the film. The almost harrowing, "physically deep" sound of Newman's Bond work practically detaches you from the world around you, whether it is "Bond" or not, much as Barry's Thunderball score virtually immerses you underwater. In this respect, Newman's score worked in Skyfall. I can't speak of Spectre in this respect until I see the actual visuals with the audio, but I suspect the same.

However, other than a few different instruments layered over more-or-less pre-existing Skyfall arrangements, Spectre is pretty much more of the same - if not a bit sloppier for trying to reinvent previous arrangements. Sure, homaging Skyfall isn't a bad thing, but not if a good deal of the score sounds entirely interchangeable.

Regardless, there are two tracks really eating at me: Los Muertos Vivos Estan and Westminster Bridge. If there was any clue that Newman is copping out of the Bond theme (or, in his defense, the powers that be above him might be commandeering this decision), the former track is proof. The Bond theme to slides its way into both of these tracks - and it doesn't take more than a second to realize it's David Arnold's orchestration. Hearing it felt like a complete betrayal to anyone who had a slight glimmer of hope for something new.

As for the second of these two tracks? It sounds like someone on YouTube mashed a pre-existing Skyfall action track with one of Arnold's TND tracks, and didn't even do a good job of it (and my bet is that this is exactly what someone did in Logic for Spectre). Quite frankly, I've heard Bond remixer JMY do this with far more success, even though most of his remixes are heavily Arnoldesque.

Strangely enough, the most stand-out piece is the instrumental version of the (in my opinion) weak and monotonous Writing's on the Wall. At least that provides an entirely new melody of interest (without the constant barrage of tribal-action-bongo-bass-equalized-noisemakers - the last word in creating cinematic tension without any shred of originality), while everything else doesn't.

It's a shame, considering Newman's father put out scores that were right up there with Barry's for originality and class - not to mention that you can't forget them once you've heard them.

-Kurt
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    I love the fact that the 007 theme is heavily incorporated in the score.
    Really really like Los Muertos Vivos Estan and The Eternal City.
    Probably the tracks I like the most from the whole saga

Do you mean the James Bond theme or "007" used in FRWL, TB, YOLT, DAF and MR?
  • EndCredit007EndCredit007 EGYPT
    SPECTRE OST is now available in torrent sites
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy

James Bond theme

James Bond theme

Thanks. :D