SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    edited July 2015 Posts: 2,494
    The August edition (Issue 173) of Empire Magazine (Australia) features an interview with John Logan in which he mostly discusses 'Skyfall' and working with DC and SM. There's also a few behind-the-scenes images from 'Skyfall' and a note from SM.

The last question is the only one that deals directly with 'Spectre', though doesn't give anything really:

What key lessons from 'Skyfall' will you take with you into Bond 24?
    Take it seriously. Find the wit. Be brave.

Also included in the issue is a double poster, with the b/w 'Spectre' poster on one side and a 'Thunderball' poster on the other.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    JCRendle wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Yes but confirmed by...?

@marketto007 needs no source ;)
    @Marketto007 is the man in the know. If he says it's going to happen, it's going to happen (unless he photoshops a trailer announcement prank) ;)

This. You'll learn pretty quickly that Marketto knows what he is talking about.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Yes but confirmed by...?

@marketto007 needs no source ;)
    @Marketto007 is the man in the know. If he says it's going to happen, it's going to happen (unless he photoshops a trailer announcement prank) ;)

This. You'll learn pretty quickly that Marketto knows what he is talking about.

I would love to be able to say the exact day and time, but I can't, sorry. As I learned from past years: "Protect your sources" :)

The question is when next week. I'm thinking Monday or Wednesday, but I don't know. Stinks because I've been in refresh mode since last week
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @marketto007, I certainly don't blame you, you have to do what you have to do. Thanks for the scoop! One week, ladies and gentlemen, we'll have it in less than a week. No need to freak out any longer.
    so next week it is...
  • leas_moleleas_mole love is the promise of suffering
    The Royal Albert Hall has no event planned on Monday 26th October so could be a possible venue for the World Première.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    I stay with my Wednesday
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    The August edition (Issue 173) of Empire Magazine (Australia) features an interview with John Logan in which he mostly discusses 'Skyfall' and working with DC and SM.

What key lessons from 'Skyfall' will you take with you into Bond 24?
    Take it seriously. Find the wit. Be brave.

Didn't he take it seriously first time round...?

:))
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Bugger is the word, I'm in Italy, this will be the first time I've not seen a Bond film on opening day since the Brosnan days, seen all the Craig's first day.

Oh well, Monday 2nd Nov it will be then.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 2,115
    I think I'm the only person who ALWAYS said SP will get an October release without a doubt.....Looks like someone lost a bet :D

That's what happens when you believe a Sony release with incorrect information, like this one on Dec. 4:

http://www.sonypictures.com/corp/press_releases/2014/12_14/120414_spectre.html

LONDON, UK, December 4, 2014 - 007 Soundstage, Pinewood Studios, London. James Bond Producers, Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli today released the title of the 24th James Bond adventure, SPECTRE. The film, from Albert R. Broccoli’s EON Productions, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, and Sony Pictures Entertainment, is directed by Sam Mendes and stars Daniel Craig, who returns for his fourth film as Ian Fleming’s James Bond 007. SPECTRE begins principal photography on Monday, December 8, and is set for **global release on November 6, 2015.**

PR 101: When you put out incorrect information, you correct it quickly. Sony obviously missed that lesson.

They're still stating November 6th is a global release, that hasn't changed. UK+ROI gets SPECTRE on 26th before global role out on the 6th. It's not incorrect, just confusing.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    edited July 2015 Posts: 2,630
    Gotta do some damage control on behalf of EON/Sony for Variety's screwup of using @Ytterbium's art and proclaiming it as official :D

(Michael/Barbara, I'm free for hire ;) )
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 95
    Is it me our does anyone else think releasing the film on a Monday is strange. I mean it won't be able to challenge Harry Potter for the biggest opening weekend ever by opening on a Monday?
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    jamesdut wrote: »
    Is it me our does anyone else think releasing the film on a Monday is strange. I mean it won't be able to challenge Harry Potter for the biggest opening weekend ever by opening on a Monday?

In the Uk the "weekend box office" runs Monday - Sunday, so the reported figure will be 7 days of sales, not just 3. I believe Toy Story 3 did the same as well. Its a bit of a cheat, and I do think its a little odd.
  • JCRendle wrote: »
    They're still stating November 6th is a global release, that hasn't changed. UK+ROI gets SPECTRE on 26th before global role out on the 6th. It's not incorrect, just confusing.

Are you saying the U.K. is not part of the world? Seriously, Sony messed this up big time.

Are you saying the U.K. is not part of the world? Seriously, Sony messed this up big time.

You know what's messed up? Spoiled Bond fans bragging about the most irrelevant little trivialities.

What's more messed up, was Paramount's decision to reschedule its premiere date from "Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation" from Dec. 25th to July 31st. That's basically shifting on the entire post production team. Off course that won't have big complications either, but it isn't far from ideal either. Hence why the Tom Cruise fans had to wait very long for their first trailer.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited July 2015 Posts: 10,586
    They did it, at least in part, to avoid competing with SP.

You know what's messed up? Spoiled Bond fans bragging about the most irrelevant little trivialities.

What's more messed up, was Paramount's decision to reschedule its premiere date from "Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation" from Dec. 25th to July 31st. That's basically shifting on the entire post production team. Off course that won't have big complications either, but it isn't far from ideal either. Hence why the Tom Cruise fans had to wait very long for their first trailer.

I think you mean "of course" instead of "off course."

I'm typing on a mobile phone :-). But yes, OF course.
    jake24 wrote: »

No, they did it because Paramount was afraid "Rogue Nation" could be swallowed alive by "Star Wars". And they were right with that decision. Though they could have anticipated that way earlier. I call it a case of 'bad planning'.

In any case.....it won't affect "Mission: Impossible"s success a lot now....

I'm typing on a mobile phone :-). But yes, OF course.

Auto correct features on phones and other devices can also be a pain.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 725
    jake24 wrote: »

No, they did it because Paramount was afraid "Rogue Nation" could be swallowed alive by "Star Wars". And they were right with that decision. Though they could have anticipated that way earlier. I call it a case of 'bad planning'.

In any case.....it won't affect "Mission: Impossible"s success a lot now....

Nope. @Jake is right. If SP is good, it's legs would have wounded Rogue's BO. Also, Paramount has known SW's date placement for nearly 2 years. Why wait until the last possible minute and put huge pressure on post production with a last minute switch for something they knew for for a very long time. Paramount and Cruise moved Rogue Nation at great difficulty at the last possible moment, because Cruise has worked hard to turn MI into his own Bond like franchise and Rogue has many similarities to SP. Now SP will appear to have the redundant story lines, particularly as the MI team had SPs full script while MI5 was still shooting. They also stopped production at huge cost to rework the ending. SWs might have been a secondary factory, but SP was the primary reason.
    The prime reason "M:I - 5"s premiere date was changed was.....Star Wars. Every other explanation to that is secondary.

Paramount initially thought "Star Wars" would he a big film, but not THAT big. They saw it grossing perhaps only $800 million to $1 billion. It wasn't until the very first Star Wars teaser trailer last year that Paramount exec's finally admitted they underestimated the scale of the film, and that this film could possible entirely overshadow "M:I - 5" with a global box office gross closer to $2 billion.

"SPECTRE" was not the main reason, as December 25 is a whopping 7 weeks after "SPECTRE"s premiere date of November 6th.
  • RC7RC7

What's messed up?
    RC7 wrote: »

What's messed up?
    Ever since the Dec press conference there have been two camps, the side the believed that "Global Release date" should be taken literally as every country getting the film on the same day and the side that believed that "Global Release date" meant the date that the film would be rolled out for general release around the world, but not all at once.

I never believed everywhere would get the film on the same day - it doesn't work like that. For global release, read general release. Both terms are loose and are used interchangeably in the industry. Both are generally correct, though not Literally correct, yes it's confusing but no one has "messed this up big time".

They've never pretended that everywhere is getting the film at once either. Just look at the trailers.

Russia will be getting SPECTRE, or СПЕКТР, in October.
    Germany and Brazil are getting SPECTRE, or 007 Contra SPECTRE on November 5th
    The Netherlands and the US are getting SPECTRE on November 6th
    France is getting SPECTRE on November 11th

The other countries have Coming Soon (or their local equivalent) or November

If it was always intended for the film to be released on November 6th in every territory, they would have used that date in all posters and trailers, they haven't - they've used different dates and Coming Soon's - all UK posters have had Coming Soon instead of November.
  • RC7RC7

What's messed up?
    Ever since the Dec press conference there have been two camps, the side the believed that "Global Release date" should be taken literally as every country getting the film on the same day and the side that believed that "Global Release date" meant the date that the film would be rolled out for general release around the world, but not all at once.

I never believed everywhere would get the film on the same day - it doesn't work like that. For global release, read general release. Both terms are loose and are used interchangeably in the industry. Both are generally correct, though not Literally correct, yes it's confusing but no one has "messed this up big time".

They've never pretended that everywhere is getting the film at once either. Just look at the trailers.

If it was always intended for the film to be released on November 6th in every territory, they would have used that date in all posters and trailers, they haven't - they've used different dates and Coming Soon's - all UK posters have had Coming Soon instead of November.

I agree, I never saw there being a definitive and literal shared global release date.
    My belief is, they had to wait for confirmation with the World Premiere location (LS, RAH?) to be able to officially confirm the UK release date. Interesting that the Premiere/Release date was release on the same day as the First Night of the Proms - a possible nod towards the RAH?
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 2,115

What's messed up?

Sony told 007 sites that a) They always intended an October opening in the UK and b) they were aware of the confusion caused by the Dec. 4 press release but never corrected/explained it.

Dec. 4 release:

http://www.sonypictures.com/corp/press_releases/2014/12_14/120414_spectre.html

Sony told 007 sites that a) They always intended an October opening in the UK
    My point exactly. So no mess up, just poor wording as I said in the post above.