SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    @jake24 And why is that?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    @jake24 And why is that?
    Because now he has the option to quit after Spectre. Anyways, contract mean nothing nowadays in terms of movies, so I wouldn't dwell on them.
    @jake24 Ugh, I hope he doesn't. Wasn't it just confirmed he'll play Bond until 2020?
    RC7 wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    Wonder who'll direct Bond 25, then? Of course, Mendes could still return, he said he wouldn't do Bond 24 yet he's doing it anyway, but this time it seems he wants to do theatre work.

Hopefully EON learnt from their mistakes and will keep Marc Forster and Lee Tamahori away from this franchise.

Depending on the success of "The Man From UNCLE", I could see Guy Ritchie as a serious candidate to direct Daniel Craig's last, and slightly funnier Bond films :-). Christopher Nolan should still be in the running as well. Matthew Vaughn perhaps?

No thanks. Don't want Ritchie anywhere near a Bond film and I don't believe Barbara and Michael would either.

Just for the sake of his name....he shouldn't be hired? I'm curious what kind of arguments you have against Guy.

I can't speak for @RC7, but I don't know if he'd really get the tone right. His "signature" style of film making isn't well suited to Bond, and while UNCLE may turn out to be a fun spy flick, it comes across as a little too flippant and jovial for Bond. It's one thing to be able to do a Bond parody or a caricature of a spy film, but to do a proper Bond film, and take it seriously is an entirely different thing.

Quite. I'm not basing this on his 'name' @Gustav_Graves, but his canon of work. He's style over substance and makes what I would class as, at best, mildly entertaining films. His old producer Matthew Vaughn has proven to be a more adept, diverse and idiosyncratic director than Ritchie will ever be. Layer Cake, Stardust, X-Men: First Class, Kick Ass... vs. Lock Stock, Snatch, Revolver, RocknRolla, Sherlock Holmes... there is just no comparison. There are many, many, many directors I'd prefer to tackle Bond before Ritchie.

Could you name a few?

By the way, I find movies like "Snatch" and "Lock Stock" not exactly style over substance. I find them both. Great cinematic achievements, right up there with Vaughn's great "Layer Cake" (And "Layer Cake" didn't go unnoticed with EON Productions). So it would be a bit blunt to say that Ritchie mostly achieved his best films thanks to Matthew Vaughn.

Both directors, Ritchie and Vaughn, also had some rather 'style over substance' films. People in here weren't exactly charmed by Vaughn's "Kingsman". But let's see how "The Man From UNCLE" turns out. I have a feeling the film could create a new serge in his career.... This film has all the goodwill that could result in producers noticing him again. And that also goes for Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson.

Already labelling "The Man From UNCLE" as a film that could not measure up with a Bond film is a bit.....'too early writing it off'.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    @jake24 Ugh, I hope he doesn't. Wasn't it just confirmed he'll play Bond until 2020?
    It's the first I've heard. But great news nonetheless.
    @jake24 Very great! Let's just hope it stays that way.
  • RC7 wrote: »
    Wonder who'll direct Bond 25, then? Of course, Mendes could still return, he said he wouldn't do Bond 24 yet he's doing it anyway, but this time it seems he wants to do theatre work.

Hopefully EON learnt from their mistakes and will keep Marc Forster and Lee Tamahori away from this franchise.

Depending on the success of "The Man From UNCLE", I could see Guy Ritchie as a serious candidate to direct Daniel Craig's last, and slightly funnier Bond films :-). Christopher Nolan should still be in the running as well. Matthew Vaughn perhaps?

No thanks. Don't want Ritchie anywhere near a Bond film and I don't believe Barbara and Michael would either.

Just for the sake of his name....he shouldn't be hired? I'm curious what kind of arguments you have against Guy.

I can't speak for @RC7, but I don't know if he'd really get the tone right. His "signature" style of film making isn't well suited to Bond, and while UNCLE may turn out to be a fun spy flick, it comes across as a little too flippant and jovial for Bond. It's one thing to be able to do a Bond parody or a caricature of a spy film, but to do a proper Bond film, and take it seriously is an entirely different thing.

Those same worries we had about Sam Mendes. I heard on many occassions, especially from die-hard fans, that Mendes was perhaps too much of a drama director, who could throw away the fun of it. Even now there are people who are still criticising Sam Mendes for his take on the franchise.

Same with Martin Campbell. Look to his non-Bond films, like "The Green Lantern" and "The Mask Of Zorro". Perhaps we could ask Cambell back?

@Gustav_Graves I kind of disagree there with the worry about Mendes. Yes, he was a very drama oriented director, but there wasn't really anything about his particular style that made him unsuitable for Bond. In fact, he has quite a wide range, and if you've seen Road to Perdition, it wouldn't have been difficult to imagine him doing a solid Bond film. I think the issue with Mendes was more so his ability to direct action set pieces and to handle the pressure a film with such an immense scale.

I've already explained my issue with Ritchie (although I don't mind him as a director in general, he's just poorly suited to Bond). Nolan on the other hand, I'm a big fan of, my only hesitation with him is really around creative control and how he'd jive with the Broccoli's. I feel like he would want the producers to be very hands off and while it is becoming a more director driven franchise, I'm not sure how much control they'd be willing to surrender. Also, my other concern is his ability to handle the wit and humor of Bond.
    That was from a nonsense Mirror article I believe.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    RE: This being Craig's last is akin to the whole SP release date business fiasco. Craig will be back for Bond 25 and like I've said many times before you can all quote me on that.
    As for Mendes if he's not coming back which doesn't surprise me considering what happened during preproduction, I'm glad it's made known now and Babs and Michael can start doing their homework properly to get a new helmet for Bond 25. Please no more time wasting.
  • RC7RC7

Quite. I'm not basing this on his 'name' @Gustav_Graves, but his canon of work. He's style over substance and makes what I would class as, at best, mildly entertaining films. His old producer Matthew Vaughn has proven to be a more adept, diverse and idiosyncratic director than Ritchie will ever be. Layer Cake, Stardust, X-Men: First Class, Kick Ass... vs. Lock Stock, Snatch, Revolver, RocknRolla, Sherlock Holmes... there is just no comparison. There are many, many, many directors I'd prefer to tackle Bond before Ritchie.

Could you name a few?

By the way, I find movies like "Snatch" and "Lock Stock" not exactly style over substance. I find them both. Great cinematic achievements, right up there with Vaughn's great "Layer Cake" (And "Layer Cake" didn't go unnoticed with EON Productions). So it would be a bit blunt to say that Ritchie mostly achieved his best films thanks to Matthew Vaughn.

Both directors, Ritchie and Vaughn, also had some rather 'style over substance' films. People in here weren't exactly charmed by Vaughn's "Kingsman". But let's see how "The Man From UNCLE" turns out. I have a feeling the film could create a new serge in his career.... This film has all the goodwill that could result in producers noticing him again. And that also goes for Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson.

Already labelling "The Man From UNCLE" as a film that could not measure up with a Bond film is a bit.....'too early writing it off'.

Snatch and Lock Stock are of their time, right now they look very dated. I wouldn't call either of them 'great cinematic achievements', they were zeitgeisty, cult successes. Layer Cake is still a good, possibly great film, that doesn't rely an overly-stylised aesthetic. Ritchie is a bit like Snyder in that sense for me.

Whether people were charmed by 'Kingsman' is irrelevant, Vaughn proves time and time again that he can tell a well-paced, engaging story. Ritchie struggles. That's the bare minimum one should expect from a director. We know Vaughn was on EON's radar, I doubt that is now the case, but he's certainly the more capable of the two. I don't believe for a minute that Ritchie is a name on EON's list, irrespective of how UNCLE does.
    @PanchitoPistoles Maybe? But so is this Mendes not returning for B25 article.
    I think....what Bond needs now is a director who's willing to consolidate on the legacy created by Martin Campbell and Sam Mendes. They basically re-invented the character in a complete new timeline. What I don't want to see, is another director re-inventing the wheel.

That doesn't mean that I want this director to dance completely on EON's wishes. But I do think I'd like to see slightly more...humorous films. And I think it would be great to see that after "SPECTRE" Bond will do two 'plain solid missions', without too hefty historical dramatic backgrounds.
  • RC7RC7
    And I think it would be great to see that after "SPECTRE" Bond will do two 'plain solid missions', without too hefty historical dramatic backgrounds.

I guess it really depends on SP's denouement. Is this the start of SPECTRE and Blofeld, or is it the end? Have they been in the shadows for the entirety of the DC era and are finally toppled in SP, or is this just the beginning of the sparring between Bond and Blofeld? It's hard to imagine a straight standalone movie that disregards SF and now SP if Blofeld (I believe Waltz is Ernst) remains alive come the final shot of the film.
    @PanchitoPistoles Maybe? But so is this Mendes not returning for B25 article.
    Ok, but that one has a direct quote from Mendes.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    IMO the only director suitable to follow Campbell and Mendes is Nolan.
  • RC7RC7
    IMO the only director suitable to follow Campbell and Mendes is Nolan.

He's not the only suitable one. It depends on what direction they want to take, whatever that direction may be there are/will be several directors who could helm it.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited July 2015 Posts: 16,330
    I'd like Martin Campbell return and finish what he started, should Craig do Bond 25 should he continue after SPECTRE.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I'd like Martin Campbell return and finish what he started, should Craig do Bond 25 should he continue after SPECTRE.
    That would be a dream come true. I can actually see him being lured back.
    @PanchitoPistoles Yes, that is true.
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Happened to be listening to BBC Radio 5
    Not only has the title song been recorded already, it's fantastic according to Mendes. He does sound genuinely excited about it.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    I wouldn't take this statement seriously. Mendes knows how to play the game, if he says he will do one more now all he does is reduces his chance of commanding a higher fee etc. If he does go I have no fear an equally exciting director like Nolan will step in.

• You know what's messed up? Spoiled Bond fans bragging about the most irrelevant little trivialities.

Wrong and confusing dates for the release of the movie were announced months ahead through official channels (23 Oct or 6 Nov, never 26 Oct anywhere), and now they change everything less than 3 months before : Think about those fans from far away who bought plane tickets and hotel nights well in advance to have cheap prices...

We know that after 3 months explaining us that "a worldwide simultaneous release is pure genius from Sony to avoid piracy", you'll now explain us that "to release SPECTRE two weeks in advance in the UK is pure genius from Sony to build momentum for the US release" or some stuff like that. But please don't forget that you live with pink glasses.

In other part of the world, some fans are quite sad they have spent money for nothing, and that they'll have to cancel the cheap plans for less affordable ones, and I think one should feel they have some right to feel so. No need to insult them.

Aston Martin, when it sent out invitations for a private screening of SPECTRE on July 2 believed the movie would be released in November. Aston is one of the companies doing business with Eon, MGM and Sony.

• skropper13skropper13 United States
    I'd be very surprised if craig didn't return for Bond 25 seing as that was the contract agreement originally and I'm sure there will be a cliffhanger at the end of this movie. Also I am very eager to see where bond goes after Craig's tenure. They've started over and given the first mission. Then skyfall was supposed to be after a long career. Now uncovering and re-developing Spectre. It's an interesting question to pose. Where the hell will bond go after Craig?
    skropper13 wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if craig didn't return for Bond 25 seing as that was the contract agreement originally and I'm sure there will be a cliffhanger at the end of this movie. Also I am very eager to see where bond goes after Craig's tenure. They've started over and given the first mission. Then skyfall was supposed to be after a long career. Now uncovering and re-developing Spectre. It's an interesting question to pose. Where the hell will bond go after Craig?
    I might create a thread.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Hopefully like it did from Brosnan to Craig, getting better and better
  • skropper13skropper13 United States
    jake24 wrote: »
    skropper13 wrote: »
    I might create a thread.

Go for it , sure there would be some interesting ideas!
    If Specters story does continue into Bond 25 would any other director other than Sam Mendas be able to finish the story? I mean at least in the right way?
    Michael Wilson agrees to direct Bond 25 and then retire..
    2. Craig won't return
    Well he contracted for 1 more. Few weeks ago he was rumoured out. Then was false. I think Daniel Craig come back for Bond 25 Fifth probably his last. Depend if Bond 25 get release in 2017 for the 55th Anniversary or 2018.

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Craig could easily do two more. One in 2018 and then his last one in 2021.