The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2015 Posts: 15,691
    Well, @DarthDimi, I actually enjoyed all the Hellraiser films from the original to the two made in 2005. They're great fun, and a good way to spend 90 minutes when you have nothing to do. About 'Hellworld', I liked that the film almost only takes place in that big mansion ( I love single location films), I loved the whole party thing, the story was interesting, and Lance Henrikson is a legend who is a pleasure to watch in all his films. Only the four young characters got on my nerves a bit, not very well acted. I was surprised by Henry Cavill, who I usually enjoy watching, but here he was quite wooden.

Hellworld Revelation, however, was simply awful and was more offending than Die Hard 5 and Batman & Robin.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I hear you, @DaltonCraig007. Well, at least we all know why Revelations was made... ;-)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    These eyes have yet to sample the horrors of Hellraiser: Revelations. I will pick it up and add it to my collection, just to complete the original series... one day.
    http://www.tasteofcinema.com/2014/the-30-best-horror-films-of-the-21st-century/

Check out this article when you get a minute. I was glad to see some of my favs on the list.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    ''I Saw the Devil'' is one of the best films I've ever seen, bar none.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    22. Ginger Snaps
    21. The Descent
    18. The Others
    10. 28 Days Later
    8. Shaun Of The Dead
    7. Saw
    6. Drag me To Hell

Those are the ones that I have seen. I'm disappointed that the following didn't make the list:

American Mary (2012)
    Outpost (2008)
    May (2002)
    House Of The Devil (2009)
    The Innkeepers (2011)
    The Woods (2006)
    Friday The 13th (2009)
    Dog Soldiers (2002)
    Hatchet II (2010)
    I agree with you, @MajorDSmythe, about 'Outpost'. I love that film.
    Another FT13 poster I made.
    friday_the_13th__part_2__2018__by_galasilva-d8snl0h.jpg
    I recently watched the original Hellraiser- apparently they have all of them on Netflix right now, but I can't be certain since they stopped numbering them, lol

The general impression I get is that not many of the sequels are great, particularly 'Inferno', and if I understand it correctly, only the most recent one doesn't have Doug Bradley as Pinhead, right?

Should I check the rest out? I admit I was surprised that in the first movie, Pinhead and the gang
    don't even show up until the movie's nearly over
    but it seems like it could be a cool series
    GalaSilva wrote: »
    Another FT13 poster I made.
    I like it! Very reminiscent of the original F13 2

You ought to try an alternate version with a white/blue highlight around Jason, as an homage to the original!

00000622-thumb.jpg

I recently watched the original Hellraiser- apparently they have all of them on Netflix right now, but I can't be certain since they stopped numbering them, lol

The general impression I get is that not many of the sequels are great, particularly 'Inferno', and if I understand it correctly, only the most recent one doesn't have Doug Bradley as Pinhead, right?

Should I check the rest out? I admit I was surprised that in the first movie, Pinhead and the gang
    don't even show up until the movie's nearly over
    but it seems like it could be a cool series

I've seen a bit of the newest Hellraiser, which is titled Hellraiser: Revelations and is, as you said, the only one (so far) not to star Bradley is Pinhead. It's terrible and was done very much on the cheap, or at least it looks that way.

I do think that Netflix has all of them available for streaming. The last numbered one is Hellraiser IV: Bloodline, from there they are ordered Inferno, Hellseeker, Deader, Hellworld, and Revelations.

Supposedly there's a reboot on the way from Clive Barker, but they've been saying that for a couple of years now. I have only seen the first three, of which I'd say that Hellraiser and Hellbound: Hellraiser II set the bar well above Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth, even though that film did have some interesting ideas it was just hampered by a certain cheapness about its look as well as some storytelling issues.
    Thanks for the info @Dalton! I will check them out while the gettin's good on Netflix. Thanks for the series order too! That will help. :-bd
    Hellraiser: Revelations was made purely for Dimension to keep holding the series' rights That tells you all you need to know. I have not seen it myself, but by all accounts, and I do mean all accounts, it's abysmal.
    ''I Saw the Devil'' is one of the best films I've ever seen, bar none.

I will have to check that one out for sure. As well as Eden Lake.
    Wolf Creek anyone?

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited May 2015 Posts: 40,503
    Horror fans, rejoice! The upcoming 'Friday the 13th' film will NOT feature found footage, thankfully. They're in the latter stages of a new script, and in a month or two, they plan on returning to Camp Crystal Lake. No word on the release date being pushed back, but winter will be here before we know it, giving them a perfect opportunity for a snowy setting...

And yes, @DaltonCraig007, 'I Saw The Devil' is definitely one of the best films I've seen in a very, very long while.
    edited May 2015 Posts: 13,894
    http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/441703-the-new-friday-the-13th-sequel-wont-take-a-found-footage-approach

“That was a road that we went down and tried to figure out,” Fuller tells STYD. “Ultimately, I think Michael, Drew and I felt that we couldn’t figure that out, so we kind of jettisoned that whole notion and we had to start over.”

---

Translates to: "We considered the next film being a found footage Friday, but we heard the entire fanbase sharpening their machetes, so we came to our senses."

Just think, if it keeps its May 16th release date, then by this time next year, we will have just experienced another Jason bloodbath. B-) About bloody time, I can't believe that it has been 6 years since the reboot.
    @MajorDSmythe, thank you for posting that, I must've accidentally copied the link for the new 'The Walking Dead' companion show!

Six years is way too long, and man, how time flies. Feels like yesterday I was sitting in the theater, watching and loving the reboot for the first time.
    Good move to go back on the found-footage idea. It was a dumb idea from the outset.

I really do hope, though, that they keep the winter setting that was considered at some point in the development process for this new film, though. Seeing Jason operate in the snow would make for a nice change of pace.
    Luckily, enough of us fans complained long enough to get them to change their minds, apparently. Whatever we did worked, and I'm glad it did, because I know I wouldn't of had enough as much excitement for a new F13 movie if it was found footage.

@dalton, the article that was posted yesterday ended with them saying something along the lines of wanting to bring back Jason doing what he loves, but making it so it feels fresh and unique to die-hard fans. That, to me, screams that they're going for a unique approach: a winter setting, found footage, going back to the 80's, visiting a totally different locale than Crystal Lake, something. Or, it could be them just trying to amp people up, and really, we'll simply get another 90 minute long, generic slasher flick (not that I'm complaining, I haven't had my Voorhees movie fix in years).
    Nothing really new, but...

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3346279/friday-the-13th-sequel-2009-remake/

So long as Jason is the primary killer, I will be happy. Give us that, a likeable final girl (and all the other usual characters), the snowy setting and new twists on familiar kills. Snow banks to hide in, ice picks, plows, crampons etc... it should be enough to set any maniacs juices flowing, and their victims blood doing just the same.
    @MajorDSmythe, I'm not sure if you caught this in the article, but:

“It’s not a sequel to the 2009 version,” said Antosca also confirming the potential shift to the 1980’s. “Different characters, time period, style.”

I wonder if that means that they're going back to the 80's, then?! I'm also curious by it being a different 'style.' What could the 'style' be other than brutal, gory slaughter?
    edited May 2015 Posts: 13,894
    That was mentioned in an earlier article, and it did make me wonder. Could the filmakers be revisiting the original timeline, might this one be set post 'Jason Takes Manhattan', pre 'Jason Goes To Hell'?

Now that Paramount are back in the driving seat (according to <a href="http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/christopher-nolans-interstellar-warner-bros-562879">this</a>; article), it wouldn't be too hard to imagine them thinking as though 'Jason Takes Manhattan', 'Jason X' and 'Freddy vs Jason' not existing.
    This day is turning into a real bummer!

Cary Fukunaga has left as the director of 'IT' due to creative differences with the studio.

So we went from having a very talented director who hired a completely off-the-wall choice (solely based on the kid's skills) to play the eerie Pennywise, and he planned on shooting it in New York in two parts (the first film would focus on them as kids, and the second film would obviously focus on them years later when they get back together). The studio wants to shoot it somewhere cheaper, they don't like Poulter as Pennywise, and they want it to be one film, not two. In other words, the project is going to suck now.

http://www.slashfilm.com/cary-fukunaga-it-exit/
    Finally watched Evil Dead 2. (1987)
    What a romp. Just as much fun as the original.
    And it directly sets up Army of Darkness too, which I had seen.
    A rewatch of Army is up next!
    Speaking of 'Friday the 13th,' has anyone here bought the Complete Collection on blu-ray/DVD? I want it so bad (not only so I can do a beautiful blu-ray marathon, but because I really, really want to see 'Jason Goes To Hell.' I haven't seen it in so long.) and I wanted to see what some of your opinions were.
    I have the individual R2 DVDs for most of the series. I did have the UK R2 DVD of 'Jason Goes To Hell', but I sold it and bought the US R1 version which comes with both the rated and unrated versions. It's actually one of my favourite Friday films, but I can see why some fans don't like it. I mean, good god, that opening.... what a way to start the film. As the end, if only Freddy vs Jason had been a more direct sequel to 'Jason goes To Hell', with both Englund and Hodder.

I hav not seen the original 'Evil Dead' for a while, but I don't recall there being much humour in it. 'Evil Dead 2' brought in the humour, and balanced it perfectly with the horror. 'Army Of Darkness' when a little to humour heavy.
    @MajorDSmythe, that opening is what has always sticked with me: I love it. I need this collection! Even 'Jason X,' as ridiculously goofy as it was, had some of the most creative kills in the series.
    @Creasy47 and @MajorDSmythe I loved 'Jason X'. Horror films on spaceships are one of my main guilty pleasures.
    @Creasy47 and @MajorDSmythe I loved 'Jason X'. Horror films on spaceships are one of my main guilty pleasures.

Have you seen that 'Leprechaun' movie in space, or perhaps 'Hellraiser: Bloodline'? I don't remember the former at all, but the latter is definitely a guilty pleasure of mine. Even the third 'Hellraiser' impresses me, and is my favorite in the series because of how creepy it is. I had to special order it on blu-ray from Australia for about $25 or so. Worth every penny!
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Have you seen that 'Leprechaun' movie in space, or perhaps 'Hellraiser: Bloodline'? I don't remember the former at all, but the latter is definitely a guilty pleasure of mine. Even the third 'Hellraiser' impresses me, and is my favorite in the series because of how creepy it is. I had to special order it on blu-ray from Australia for about $25 or so. Worth every penny!

I've seen 'Bloodline' and it was very entertaining!

Jason X has the most cheesiest of dialogue of any Friday film, but it had some sweet kills. Slow neck snap, impalement on giant drill bill, cryogenic drowing / face smashed into desk, stabbed with a machete / hilt pulled through chest.

Most brutal kill still goes to Jason Goes To Hell.