Octopussy is Moore's best performance???

Comments

• For Your Eyes Only is often sighted as Roger Moores best Bond film, it was the one film where he took the role seriously and played bond as a world wearied agent rather than his usual camp playboy. The film itself had a down to earth plot unlike the preceding films such as moonraker. The film had its flaws and Moore was perhaps to old but it was still a very solid film and Moore gave a very convincing performance. Moore had dark moments in TSWLM and TMWTGG but this was the one film where the cheesy quips were kept to a minimum and had a darker tone from bond, it makes me wonder how good moore could have been had he played bond in a more serious manner and had the producers not gone down the route of ludicrous plots and preposterous villains. Moore was probably the most charismatic bond, but he could have been so much better as bond had he played the role more seriously.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,883
    mark91 wrote: »
    For Your Eyes Only is often sighted as Roger Moores best Bond film, it was the one film where he took the role seriously and played bond as a world wearied agent rather than his usual camp playboy. The film itself had a down to earth plot unlike the preceding films such as moonraker. The film had its flaws and Moore was perhaps to old but it was still a very solid film and Moore gave a very convincing performance. Moore had dark moments in TSWLM and TMWTGG but this was the one film where the cheesy quips were kept to a minimum and had a darker tone from bond, it makes me wonder how good moore could have been had he played bond in a more serious manner and had the producers not gone down the route of ludicrous plots and preposterous villains. Moore was probably the most charismatic bond, but he could have been so much better as bond had he played the role more seriously.

I can see where you're coming from with this. FYEO was certainly a serious portrayal of Bond, for Moore.

Personally, I did not think it suited his approach so well. It seemed forced.....like some of his immense screen charisma was being suffocated.

I know many do like this performance from him, but personally, I prefer his first two, LALD & TMWTGG, where he still had the lethal seriousness to him, combined with his trademark swagger and charm. Particularly TMTGG which is really one of my favourite performances from him. I loved his interrogation of Lazaar, and Anders in the hotel, his somewhat sexist dismissal of Goodnight, as well as his one on one with Scaramanga. An underrated performance IMO, due to the film not being so successful or appreciated.

I also prefer him in TSWLM, where he had the right amount of seriousness and charm/swagger/comedy. I think TSWLM was his apex.

Don't get me wrong, I see where you're coming from re: FYEO, particularly after the goofiness of MR (in fact, FYEO is sandwiched between two particularly goofy but enjoyable portrayals from Moore....MR & OP).

I just prefer him in TMWTGG, LALD & TSWLM personally.
    I thought the seriousness was more forced in MWTGG. Moore's portrayal seems too aggressive and it doesn't suit him.

Maud Adams once commented that she felt the tougher edge Moore had in GG didn't work at all in her view.

In FYEO he just plays it a bit straighter. Personally I think it's one of his best performances and I find him far more convincing here than in MR.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    I love Sir Rodge for his dedication and ongoing support for the franchise, not like most my top bond, but think TMWTGG was his best performance, aggresive yes but he is suppose to be hunting a man who has made it personal. I think Sir Rodge was good at switching aggression on and off, he played Bond differently almost the way Peter Faulk played Columbo, he gave the bad guys the impression that he was not a threat. And to his credit that was why Fleming originally opposed Sir Sean because he was too muscular he looked a physical threat. I was once in the "Moore was a ponse" camp but having read the novels in recent years my opinion has changed and I appreciate how he played the role differently from others.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited December 2014 Posts: 2,138
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Yes, I want it to be like FRWL
    Then may I humbly suggest you seek out threads that discuss your FAVOURITE Bond movies?
    (See the caps here; you must pay attention)
    It's more FUN to talk about the good bits than to go over & over what you see as the bad bits IMO.

Well, as I've pointed out before, this is a forum for all opinions, not just those that you agree with, not just to talk about gtood bits.

Your my new best forum friend. What I always preach. If you post asking for debate on a subject there will be arguments for or against. Respect others views dont impose your own on others or get defensive and argue why your opinion is better. We are all fans, we have all seen the films enoughs over the years that we have made our own conclusions, you wont convince someone to converting to your opinion. People are different and enjoy different aspects which makes the films special to them, I appreciate some people love some things I don't and vice versa but thats why we love this franchise there is something for everyone. Orbis non sufficit.
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    Then may I humbly suggest you seek out threads that discuss your FAVOURITE Bond movies?
    It's more FUN to talk about the good bits than to go over & over what you see as the bad bits IMO.

Well, as I've pointed out before, this is a forum for all opinions, not just those that you agree with, not just to talk about gtood bits.

Your my new best forum friend. What I always preach. If you post asking for debate on a subject there will be arguments for or against. Respect others views dont impose your own on others or get defensive and argue why your opinion is better. We are all fans, we have all seen the films enoughs over the years that we have made our own conclusions, you wont convince someone to converting to your opinion. People are different and enjoy different aspects which makes the films special to them, I appreciate some people love some things I don't and vice versa but thats why we love this franchise there is something for everyone. Orbis non sufficit.

Thank you. I dont like octopussy, and people get mad at me for that apparently. Jesus christ the series varies so much in style. Of course some people will like and some people wont
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited January 2015 Posts: 5,080
    chrisisall wrote: »

Thank you. I dont like octopussy, and people get mad at me for that apparently. Jesus christ the series varies so much in style. Of course some people will like and some people wont

No. Nobody got mad at you for having an opinion. So don't play that card.

People challenged you because of comments like this, "But I think that everybody can agree that "All Time High" is one of the worst Bond songs of all time", so when you start putting words in people's mouths, then you should expect to be challenged, and you will be challenged.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Performance-wise OP is indeed one of Moore's finest moments. But not his very best imo:

From best to worst (purely on his performance):

FYEO
    OP
    TSWLM
    AVTAK
    LALD
    MR
    TMWGG

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I enjoyed OP, quite like it in fact. Perhaps I might be in the minority as I like
    " All time high" as well. :)) For me, it has a good story with a good pace to it
    And some jaw dropping stunts. As for Moore's performance it is one of his best
    I think this and FYEO are Moore's best performance.
    I like it a lot! Moore's second best after Spy.
    Moore was very confident in OP. It could be seen as his best performance. Almost Connery'esque in the confidence he shows on screen - like this role was his and his alone.

I prefer watching him in his early Bonds because he was younger, but there's no doubt that he was very assured in OP.
    I prefer Moore later on funnily enough (namely TSWLM, FYEO and OP).
  • Shocked. Positively shocked that no one has focused on one of the best scenes in OP: the confrontation with Orlov on the train.

Quite simply one of the best scenes of Sir Rog's tenure and, pound for pound one of the best confrontations in the series.

Roger plays it absolutely straight. With a rising anger to Orlov's crazed plan, it is one of the few times Bond actually passes judgement on a villians caper.

The punctuation of the scene is Bond twirling and shooting the guard in the head (still a shocking bit of violence, especially for good ol' Uncle Rog.)

I can't praise the scene enough and it should be shown

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    bigzilcho wrote: »
    Shocked. Positively shocked that no one has focused on one of the best scenes in OP: the confrontation with Orlov on the train.

Quite simply one of the best scenes of Sir Rog's tenure and, pound for pound one of the best confrontations in the series.

Roger plays it absolutely straight. With a rising anger to Orlov's crazed plan, it is one of the few times Bond actually passes judgement on a villians caper.

The punctuation of the scene is Bond twirling and shooting the guard in the head (still a shocking bit of violence, especially for good ol' Uncle Rog.)

I can't praise the scene enough and it should be shown

Couldn't agree more.
  • Sorry Pt.2

I can't praise the scene enough and it should be shown to anyone who questions Roger's hard edge as 007.

A superb bit of acting between Moore and Berkoff.

"Spend the money quickly, Mr. Bond."
    "I intend to, Kamal Khan."
  • I couldn't speak ill of anyone with any strong opinion about which one of Roger's performances was best. He was honestly excellent in all 7. His portrayal of Bond evolved and changed as time went on but he always gave it his all.

Even though Connery is my favorite Bond Roger is a close second. He made the role wholly his own. He didn't "play James Bond" - he was James Bond while he was on screen. Those who dislike his portrayal must at least admit that much. I myself am very glad I grew to love him after being upset when my father showed me Live and Let Die as a youngster for the first time.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 1,595
    Birdleson wrote: »
    That is one horrible title song. Possibly the worst (if we don't count NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN).

I like Barry's instrumental versions of it that play throughout the film much better than the song itself. I don't mind the song (most of the Bond themes are quite good, I've always thought).

I'd rank it near the bottom though with DAD and TWINE. And I certainly DON'T count NSNA. What an abortion of a song.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

I'd rank it near the bottom though with DAD and TWINE. And I certainly DON'T count NSNA. What an abortion of a song.
    THIS is what going crazy feels like....
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I prefer to listen to the instrumental versions of Die Another Day. I think the theme is quite good. Madonna's vocals and lyrics not good at all.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 7,503
    Not to derail this thread even further, but the TWINE title song is incredibly overrated in my opinion. I absolutely hate the "orchestration"... if it can indeed be labelled as such. Those synthetic sounds that are added to the accompaniment are really tasteless, and it ruines the song overall for me. But maybe that was unavoidable in the nineties...? I don't like the vocalist either...

But enough about that. Carry on with Moore. :) He is excellent in Octopussy, and I agree that the scene where he confronts Orlov is a higlight of his tenure. Its a shame he didn't get more chances to play a hard edged Bond, as he could very much handle that aspect of the character as well.
    I strongly and totally disagree. Octopussy is not a mess of a bond film, It is one of the greatest, with the right mix of seriousness and humor, with the exception of the Tarzan tell. The other scenes that some find cringeworthy, I, along with many others, actually find funny and genuinely enjoyable. I also disagree with the assertion that op was moore's best performances. I see where you are coming from, but I prefer his performance is tswln. I really got the fear element from him in that one.
    Also I LIKE the title song.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I prefer Moore later on funnily enough (namely TSWLM, FYEO and OP).

they are definitely his best three.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I'd Agee Moore looks really comfortable in the role.
    OP is just a classic. At their best, the Moore films are the most pure entertainment in the series.
    OP has the epic of TSWLM mixed with the serious of FYEO, but with a classic Barry score. It is, IMHO, Moore's crowning Bond achievement.
  • ml94ml94 Finland
    "For Your Eyes Only" is Rogs best performance.
    ml94 wrote: »
    Oh, it's great, yeah, it's just that OP gives him so much more to do, acting-wise.

ml94 wrote: »

Personally, I think Rog needs the humour and FYEO sort of robbed him of it....sort of stifled him. I personally think his best is TSWLM, but I really like him in his earlier work too (LALD & TMWTGG) where he had a bit more of a ruthless edge, & of course, OP. Don't get me wrong, I like his FYEO turn, but just missed some of his trademark humour.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I like his FYEO turn, but just missed some of his trademark humour.
    He still got some funny stuff in there. "Put your clothes on and I'll buy you an ice cream." Me & my friends were cracking up, plus, Bond turning down sex? Whoah, that was a new one on us!