Octopussy is Moore's best performance???

Comments

If they were paid to sell their ideas, they'd be screenwriters, not film critics.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    If they were paid to sell their ideas, they'd be screenwriters, not film critics.
    Ideas as in their IDEA of how the film was, but good try at deflection; I understand it's all you've got here. Care to comment on @TheWizardOfIce's excellent point?
    Birdleson wrote: »
    The few decent critics out there are worth a read, but not here, this is Bond culture. Objectively, almost all of the Bond films have some embarrassing shit in them that would probably cause me to dismiss another type of film outright. But my love for the character and franchise allows me to look past, even revel in, the worst that the series has to offer.
    Very honest, sir. Bold to say, even.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Birdleson wrote: »
    As far as Bond films are concerned, I consider our opinions here more relevant, informed and legitimate than any other website. Why come here if you're going to throw out quips from people who aren't as invested in the nuances as we are?

Totally agree @Birdleson. I think we come from the same school of thought. Whilst our opinion on OP differs. (One day I'll convert you ;) ) Our thoughts on the Bond series as whole do not. I like all the actors who have played Bond, and can watch all the films with ease and enjoy them. Whilst some films I don't enjoy as much as others. I feel that all of them have some great parts and obviously some areas that don't work.
    But as Bond fans, I think we have come to understand the character, the films, the production values, the changes in style. Far better than any film critic or reviewer who looks at these films in a different perceptive.
    There are many films that get great reviews that I dislike. And vice versa.
    Just because some reviewer says OP is a bad film doesn't make it so.
    I would know. I love OP, and will defend it till the end. If you don't like it, then that's fine. I say, your loss. We all have Bond films that rank lower than others. I'm not a big fan of DAF or TMWTGG, but I know members who love those films. It's a matter of opinion.
    OP does have (imo) one of Moore's best performances as Bond. As equal to his turn in FYEO. SPY, FYEO & OP being his best. Oh hang on, LALD is a good one, and there are moments in MR. Ooops I forgot AVTAK, and I like some of his stuff in TMWTGG too. Yep, I'm a Moore Bond fan. And I don't care what any critic or paid film reviewer says. He was a great Bond.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2014 Posts: 23,883
    Agreed. Moore was a great Bond. Different to Connery, but great nevertheless. Very comfortable in his own skin, like Connery.
    Octopussy was like triple fudge overload ice cream; so thick & full of concentrated sweetness. It had everything. More than everything. It was a singular achievement for Moore, demanding his ultimate range as a Bond actor.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Octopussy was like triple fudge overload ice cream; so thick & full of concentrated sweetness. It had everything. More than everything. It was a singular achievement for Moore, demanding his ultimate range as a Bond actor.

Completely true. It's an immensely satisfying high-frustose corn syrup injection of a Bond movie.
    edited November 2014 Posts: 17,691
    Getafix wrote: »
    It's an immensely satisfying high-frustose corn syrup injection of a Bond movie.
    Nah, 100% sucrose, baby!!!
    Suuuu-weeeeet!

Another thing, Moore looked very uncomfortable in the hunt scene- was that just great acting or was he really miserable there?
    That's where RADA pays off, darling
  • I like good Bond films, not bad Bond films.

There is no such thing
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I love OP and I just might have to say that it's my favorite film of Moore's, possibly. Hell, it just might even be in my Top 5 Bond films. It is fantastic and wildly entertaining.
    There's just something about Moore in OP that seems to click so nicely...
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I think it's his chemistry with Maud Adams. They work so well together in this film. I like to swap OP with AVTAK so OP happens after because it had the perfect ending with Rogers Bond. I could believe he would settle down with Octopussy.

• I think Moore's best film was LALD.TSWLM was probably his most iconic film.OP whilst good has him hitting his stride too much.If Guy Hamilton had directed OP it would have been a riot.
    In LALD he was ultra cool and suave.A debut performance where he slipped into the role and made it his own.It had a fantastic script with less of the gadgets which became a standard in his films.He uses his wit perfectly and there is genuine menace applied to him.
    agentHHH wrote: »
    I think Moore's best film was LALD.TSWLM was probably his most iconic film.OP whilst good has him hitting his stride too much.If Guy Hamilton had directed OP it would have been a riot.
    In LALD he was ultra cool and suave.A debut performance where he slipped into the role and made it his own.It had a fantastic script with less of the gadgets which became a standard in his films.He uses his wit perfectly and there is genuine menace applied to him.

Hm? Really? #-o
    Murdock wrote: »
    I think it's his chemistry with Maud Adams. They work so well together in this film. I like to swap OP with AVTAK so OP happens after because it had the perfect ending with Rogers Bond. I could believe he would settle down with Octopussy.

I agree. Sir Rog and Maude were great together. I wish, like I think many here do, that Rog had retired then and not gone on to do AVTAK which was - IMO - his weakest film by far and a poor swan song for the great man.

BTW; saw Sir Rog at Richmond Theatre on his tour last month. He was fantastic. Amazing for a man of his age. Packed house from ten year old kids with Mums and Dads to the elderly - proving Sir Roger's charm and appeal is for all generations.
    Maud Adams is the best fit for Rog. Right age and there seems to be a genuine fondness. It really is almost impossible to overstate how wonderful OP is.
  • wow people like everything about this movie a lot more than i thought. Alrighty then. I hate it, but i wont judge.
    Ideas as in their IDEA of how the film was, but good try at deflection; I understand it's all you've got here. Care to comment on @TheWizardOfIce's excellent point?

DIe another day is listed at 57% on RT, which is of course horrible but far higher than OP, which at last count was a blistering 38% I believe.

Bet I could go to the exact same source and pull in negative reviews as well. There's a reason that OP has it's score, and DAD as well. But pictures are just not very good.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    DIe another day is listed at 57% on RT, which is of course horrible but far higher than OP, which at last count was a blistering 38% I believe.

This doesn't mean anything since the reviews were written by different people at different times. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Different era entirely.

All that's relevant is how people viewed it then, and how they view it now. Anything that has improved perceptions now compared to when released is a slow burner...Octopussy could be that.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Its amazing how small moments that go too far ruin one's opinion of the film. People often say how stupid OP is because dress like clown, says sit to tiger, Tarzan yell, gorilla mask. These are all very small items non-essential to the plot with the exception of the clown. OP is actually pretty straight forward and serious at times but these items greatly skew the overall feel of the film.

I embrace the silly bits that are taken too far and while there is no doubt Moore as a clown is ridiculous, it at least makes sense within the context of the film. My main issue is that in no way could he get into that costume so quickly!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Its amazing how small moments that go too far ruin one's opinion of the film. People often say how stupid OP is because dress like clown, says sit to tiger, Tarzan yell, gorilla mask. These are all very small items non-essential to the plot with the exception of the clown. OP is actually pretty straight forward and serious at times but these items greatly skew the overall feel of the film.

I embrace the silly bits that are taken too far and while there is no doubt Moore as a clown is ridiculous, it at least makes sense within the context of the film. My main issue is that in no way could he get into that costume so quickly!

True.

And there's other ways of looking at the "clown fit" as you point out!

SFW?
  • doubleohdad is a troll, @chrisisall. Pay no mind to him.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Bet I could go to the exact same source and pull in negative reviews as well. There's a reason that OP has it's score, and DAD as well. But pictures are just not very good.

You're sounding like a broken record old chap. Do yourself a favour and give it a rest eh.
    If you want to take the ranking's of Rotten Tomatoes as a given then that's your issue. Most of us don't really care what RT ranking films get.
    Rotten tomatoes are only usefull for frowing at people..
    jobo wrote: »
    Rotten tomatoes are only usefull for frowing at people..

:))
    doubleohdad is a troll, @chrisisall. Pay no mind to him.

I make my points with logic, and don't need to insult someone to do it.

SImply saying that OP is a good movie when it clearly isn't is just a vocal minority on this thread.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited November 2014 Posts: 5,080

and don't need to insult someone to do it.

No, it's a perfectly reasonable assumption to make after your constant "I hate Moore" agenda. Literally, you make this clear in everything you post.
    I think we would all prefer it if you made your point, and MOVED ON. Talk about something you DO enjoy.
    SImply saying that OP is a good movie when it clearly isn't is just a vocal minority on this thread.

It would seem that it is YOU who is in the minority, here. Most of the people who have posted in these 8 pages have expressed positive views about Octopussy.

Really, what are you doing on this forum if your only motive is to be negative, and disregard 13 years of our beloved franchise?
    It's my beloved franchise as well, but I can be objective and state not just my opinion but point out the views of the world at large to back up my opinions. There are certain virtues in the Moore films which I do point out, just like I freely accept the flaws in the Connery/Lazenby and Craig films, which I think are more in line with what the character should be on screen.

You can state your opinion but I can't?
    Huh?