Octopussy is Moore's best performance???

Comments

Parts of AVTAK are pretty poor though. I used to love it growing up but now it just seems really stale.

To me the Frenchman running around, the warehouse fight and the fire truck chase are some of the lowest points in the whole series.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    It still has a Beach Boys cover though... ;)
    ...and Moore bedding Grace Jones (Fleming's Bond wouldn't have gone near her).

I have a theory that the script writer didnt like Moore for some reason and decided to get his own back on him.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    BAIN123 wrote: »

I have a theory that the script writer didnt like Moore for some reason and decided to get his own back on him.

Yes, James Bond baking a quiche...

And Richard Maibaum went on record to say that he did not care for Roger Moore's interpretation of James Bond.

The plot thickens...
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 11,425
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    BAIN123 wrote: »

Yes, James Bond baking a quiche...

And Richard Maibaum went on record to say that he did not care for Roger Moore's interpretation of James Bond.

The plot thickens...

Interesting. Never heard that before. Moore's baking is surreal.

@BAIN, are you saying that because Fleming's Bond was a racist, or because May Day/Jones is insane and scary?

Any way, in the film he beds her to cover his tracks - he does not set out to seduce her.
    A mixture of both really.

They could have at least cut to the next scene as soon as Mayday disrobed. We the audience would have got the message and poor Rog would have been saved from sharing a bed with a muscular mad woman.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Hey mods, is this an Octopussy discussion or just yet ANOTHER Brosnan-Bash-Fest?? :-??

Every thread is. Even the hair thread. Or it will be shortly.
    Lets get back to the topic of Octopussy, which is one of the worst of the Bond films and thoroughly deserves its 42% ranking on rotten tomatoes.com.

There's some well-written stuff on this thread by viewers on this thread, but to the world at large, this baby stinks big time.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Lets get back to the topic of Octopussy, which is one of the worst of the Bond films and thoroughly deserves its 42% ranking on rotten tomatoes.com.

There's some well-written stuff on this thread by viewers on this thread, but to the world at large, this baby stinks big time.

Again, @doubleohdad, the thread concerns Moore's performance as Bond, not the quality of the film.

Just goes to show what a load of rubbish those ratings sites are.
    OK.

From the reviews:

"Bond is old. Wrinkled-foreheaded old. Lecherous coot old. Strategic hairstyle old. Simply…old. That's the biggest takeaway from Roger Moore's second worst outing as 007, hot on the heels of his second best."

Another:

"Worst of the Roger Moore Bond films has a license to bore."

Lastly:

"Bottom-drawer Bond."

There is a drawer beneath it.
    There is, and it's called View to a Kill, with an even lower 38%.
    edited October 2014 Posts: 5,080
    OK.

From the reviews:

"Bond is old. Wrinkled-foreheaded old. Lecherous coot old. Strategic hairstyle old. Simply…old. That's the biggest takeaway from Roger Moore's second worst outing as 007, hot on the heels of his second best."

Another:

"Worst of the Roger Moore Bond films has a license to bore."

Lastly:

"Bottom-drawer Bond."

Still no relevance to the thread. Please post elsewhere.

For the record, I would be apply to supply you with positive reviews of the film from the same source in a separate thread, @doubledad, (as if using people's OPINIONS is basis for fact).
    It is a fact that people have opinions. I like both OP and AVTAK, but they were both pretty much a letdown after the stellar FYEO. The performance from Sir Roger was as good as always, though.
    edited October 2014 Posts: 5,080

It's called A View to a Kill.
    Wait a minute, you may not like my postings, but the reviews and percentages from rotten tomatoes are what they are.

First the "From" disappeared, and now the "A". Next thing you know it will be "To a Kill".
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

First the "From" disappeared, and now the "A". Next thing you know it will be "To a Kill".

Ya gotta laugh! :))
    My god, just another reminder that the general public cannot be trusted. The Bond franchise should be entrusted to me for safe keeping. ;)
    Because they are objective and not based on nostalgia and personal opinion.

Dragonpol wrote: »

Ya gotta laugh! :))

It's shocking. I caught someone referring to TLD as 'LD' the other day.

I came down on them like a ton of bricks. If we stand by while this kind of thing goes on, where will it end?
    I agree, @afix.
    Huh?

They are professional journalists, some of them cinema majors, paid to write their opinions. What agenda would they have to review a lousy movie like Octopussy and deceive the public?

OP is not only not a good movie, it's lousy, actually, judging by the forty percentile.
    edited October 2014 Posts: 17,691
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I come here because no other group is going to understand what I require and appreciate from this set of movies. So, no, I don't think I get a damned thing from outside sites.

I agree. I can rate Friday The Thirteenth movies, but not being a big horror fan, my review would be useless to REAL fans of that series.
    So yeah, these non-readers of Fleming can have their reviews back. :))
    So professional reviewers, journalists and critics are not reviewing the film truthfully?

Most of the world considers OP a lousy picture. I respect someone saying that despite the reviews, they like it, but to slag reviewers and state that only the genre-centric opinions are valid is unfair.

• I'm surprised that some people on this board hate James Bond movies so much, it's mind boggling to me. I loved Octopussy btw.
    I like good Bond films, not bad Bond films.
    So professional reviewers, journalists and critics are not reviewing the film truthfully?
    No, they get paid to sell their ideas, so they concentrate on sounding clever & witty, and sort of actually review movies at the same time. 99% are worthless morons justifying their jobs. To Blazes with them.
    =))
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Huh?

They are professional journalists, some of them cinema majors, paid to write their opinions. What agenda would they have to review a lousy movie like Octopussy and deceive the public?

OP is not only not a good movie, it's lousy, actually, judging by the forty percentile.

Here are some more quotes that I managed to dredge from the fount of all wisdom, Rotten Tomatoes, in approximately 2 minutes:

'Overall, this movie is excellent and I definitely recommend it to all movie-goers, especially Bond fans! 4 1/2 Stars'

'A wild, thrilling, sexy, riveting and utterly spectacular thrill-ride. An explosive action-packed adventure. A pure exhilarating adrenaline rush from beginning to end that dosent let up.'

'One of the sturdier and darker of James Bond films.'

'the most satisfying installment of the franchise in recent memory'

'both skillful and playful, and that's about as high a compliment as I can give a 007 film.'

'And what film are they talking about here pray tell us dear Wizard?', I hear you entreating me?

Die. Another. Day.

So yeah critiques from here are to be held in the highest regard.

I really fail to see what point (if any) you are trying to make here doubleohdad as if this is the best you can come up with to illustrate that OP is rubbish you are clearly clutching at the thinnest of straws.