Octopussy is Moore's best performance???

edited October 2014 in Bond Movies Posts: 23
Okay let me get this straight. Octopussy is a mess of a movie. A horrible, cheesy, cringeworthy, awful mess of a Bond film. Yes, it has some great action sequences, but these are suffocated by the tentacles of bad film making. I recently gave Octopussy a chance, and it still remains in my bottom 3. But something stuck out to me this time. Roger Moore does a fine job. A damn fine job. Hell, he does a great job! He plays Bond like he's a little bit older and wiser, a man who isn't as strong as he once was. The scene that stands out to me is when he knows the bomb is at the circus, and Moore truly looks worried. He looks as if he knows he might not pull this one off. He hijacks an innocent pedestrians car! And its great! TSWLM is hands down Moore's best film, i know, and Octopussy will always remain a horrible film, but theres got to be someone who notices Moore's interesting, and different approach to playing 007. Anybody?

Mod edit: language "cleaned"

Comments

I don't mind Octopussy despite being incredibly uneven, it certainly has its moment's. Roger also had his moments, certainly his scenes with Maud Adams were very good, some of his best acting during his tenure.
    Roger Moore is performing at his best as Bond here. His performance is a good mix of seriousness and humor. When Moore tries not to be primarily an action star, and more like his urbane con-man as with the Saint, he comes off the best.
  • While I agree that the defusing the bomb moment, and the run-up to it, is brilliantly directed and Moore at his best, I can't go along with the rest of his performance. He looks quite overweight and sweaty in the India scenes (I think he had a dicky stomach during much of that shoot) and his line delivery seems a bit too arch and oily. He toned it down imo for AVTAK where he seems mostly more understated and cooler, thing is everyone has him down as the old horse for the knacker's yard in that.
  • I think OP is probably Moore's best performance if we're talking Fleming. He's closest to Fleming here, I think, and it's probably his best performance period.

I also strongly disagree with you about Octopussy being a horrible film.
  • Octopussy is not bad at all? It sounds like you think that everyone on here dislikes OP? I love it.... Wayborn is one of my favourite Bondgirls and the film is just well done all in all...
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    OP is a fantastic Bond movie. As a film of two-halves it hits all the marks in both: an epic and hilarious pure Moore-esque outing for the first hour, and then a stressful, tense, darker cold-war thriller in the 2nd half. Moore is is awesome in this, althought for his 1980's outings I prefere him in FYEO.
    OP is a brilliant movie, for me Sir Roger Moore found his stride with TSWLM and continued great. His top Spy orientated stories were FYEO, OP & AVTAK.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    SaintMark wrote: »
    OP is a brilliant movie, for me Sir Roger Moore found his stride with TSWLM and continued great. His top Spy orientated stories were FYEO, OP & AVTAK.

Agreed.
    I don't think its his best performance but I can't see any other actor that played Bond be in Octopussy. Octopussy was meant for Moores Bond.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Just my quick take on Moore's performances.

Moore is at his coolest in LALD. He doesn't have the classic Moore Bond charm and style, but there are some very bad ass moments.

TMWTGG is an uneven blend with some inspired moments and then others that fall flat from Rog.

TSWLM is where Moore really hits his stride and nails it. Absolutely love the scene at Kalba's club where Triple X and Bond have a 1-up battle that strikes a nerve with Bond.

MR is another classic Moore entry. The camp is amped up, but there are serious moments as well. Great one-liners throughout.

FYEO is Moore's attempt at a serious spy thriller. While it doesn't fit his natural style, it's also an inspired effort at times and shows off his versatility. The plot and subject better suited Dalton or Connery, but I'm glad Rog got a chance to show off his serious side.

OP is similar to MR for me. Back to his natural stride though I prefer MR's performance, Roger is great here and the moment with the nuke is one of the few times in the Series that really got me panicked. Of course he was going to stop the bomb but damn talk about waiting til the last possible moment!

AVTAK was Moore's weakest performance for me, though not because of his age and look. It was an acceptable send off and the whole film definitely gives the vibe of an end of an era. There is some classic Moore with his exchanges with Patrick Macnee who play off each other brilliantly. Other parts seem run of the mill going through the motions though.

I think OP is a very good Bond and one of Moore's best performance, but I think his best was FYEO, and maybe even TMWTGG, even though the latter was pretty bad.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    IMO, OP is the 'perfect' Moore Bond movie.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I wouldn't say it's his best performance as Bond, but it's one of his best. He was in top form and still looked great for the part being 55 years old. Though his performance in this I could believe Bond was a well seasoned agent. This was his Skyfall.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Murdock wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it's his best performance as Bond, but it's one of his best. He was in top form and still looked great for the part being 55 years old. Though his performance in this I could believe Bond was a well seasoned agent. This was his Skyfall.
    Agreed. I'd say TSWLM was his best overall Bond if it had had a Barry score.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    Agreed. I'd say TSWLM was his best overall Bond if it had had a Barry score.

I agree. :)
    I think FYEO is his best performance as much as i love LALD!
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    I think FYEO is his best performance as much as i love LALD!

I'm with you. Think FYEO shows Roger could play Bond tougher and still have the Moore charm and grace.

Always like him in LALD as well. He is very confident and steps into those shoes with ease.

OP has always been my favorite Moore film. As for his best performance, I have to say TSWLM ranks as his best performance. He was great and at his charming, lovable and gentleman spy self in OP and FYEO but I have to say he was his best in TSWLM.
    Moore has pretty even and after TMWTGG he found his stride and stayed consistent for the rest of his Bond outings.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    It's certainly one of Moore's best performances, yes but I think FYEO is actually his best performance as Bond.
    I don't think Bond was meant as anything than the combination of thug/gentlemen, and Roger Moore's Bond sure has the gentleman part down, but the other part…
    Octopussy remains the bottom of the barrel in the series, along with View to a Kill.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 11,425
    OP grows on me moore and moore over time. One of my favourite Bond movies. Top ten IMO.

And yes, if not his best, then one of Rog's best performances.
    I thought FYEO was Moore at his best, followed by TSWLM. After that possibly OP, but for me his two exceptional performances were FYEO and TSWLM.
  • TSWLM will always be my favorite. He's best at the serious parts in FYEO and OP, but TSWLM is just a tour de force of absolute suavity. There's no one-liner he can't pull off, no situation that makes him lose his cool.
    The defusing the bomb scene in OP is a highlight in the entire series.
    "DAMMIT LET GO. LET ME GO DAMMIT THERE'S A BOMB IN THERE"

*crowd gasps*
    Wonderful
    It sounds a bit corny writing it but Moore plays the scene very well.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 11,425
    That RADA training shines through! ;)
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    It's interesting that there isn't a consensus pick for Moore's best performance. I'd probably have to go with TSWLM if I was forced to pick but FYEO is an extremely close second. Also, thanks to the OP (no pun intended) for being able to appreciate Sir Rog even though you don't enjoy the film.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Getafix wrote: »
    The defusing the bomb scene in OP is a highlight in the entire series.

Agreed. It is so realistic I get goosebumps when I see it! :)