Octopussy is Moore's best performance???

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited November 2014 Posts: 17,696
    I make my points with logic
    SImply saying that OP is a good movie when it clearly isn't
    You'd better go back to the Vulcan Academy, my friend; you have not achieved Kolinahr.
    There is a severe difference between logical thought and emotional opinion.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 11,425
    As someone who happily dismisses the entire Brosnan era I think it's fine for @doubleohdad to slate Sir Rog if he wants to. Each to their own.

I just raise an eyebrow in amused disdain.

;)
    illogical double-post

chrisisall wrote: »
    You'd better go back to the Vulcan Academy, my friend; you have not achieved Kolinahr.

I use outside sources to document and back up my opinions, and the opposing viewpoint says, "Nuh-uh?" and my opinion is not logical?

Huh?
    Getafix wrote: »
    As someone who happily dismisses the entire Brosnan era I think it's fine for @doubleohdad to slate Sir Rog if he wants to. Each to their own.

I just raise an eyebrow in amused disdain.

;)

Thanks, sir.

• edited November 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Rog has virtually admitted that a lot of the time he played Bond as himself rather than the other way round.

Doubleohdad is harsh at times but I think he at least has a bit of a point.

Personally I just don't believe Moore IS Bond in a film like Moonraker.

That said I don't think OP is all that bad at all. Ok I don't consider it the virtual masterpiece some on here do but neither is it anywhere near as bad as its reputation seems to dictate. It at least tries to have a bit of class and suspense mixed with humour. Louis Jourdon is brilliant too.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited November 2014 Posts: 5,080
    It's my beloved franchise as well, but I can be objective and state not just my opinion but point out the views of the world at large to back up my opinions. There are certain virtues in the Moore films which I do point out, just like I freely accept the flaws in the Connery/Lazenby and Craig films, which I think are more in line with what the character should be on screen.

You can state your opinion but I can't?
    Huh?

Don't put words in my mouth and pull the "I'm not allowed to express my opinion?" rubbish.

I don't see how using reviews and such from a website that Bond fans take no interest in in any way makes your argument any more valid (as if a rating of 42% from 36 reviews indicates that the entire world abhors the film). As @Birdleson said a few posts back, we are true Bond fans whose opinions and reflections of the films are greater than ANY reviewer, whether it be Roger Ebert or Empire Magazine, and we recognise the faults of the films, but manage to find light in every film.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 11,189
    This bloke obviously isn't a big fan of Rog either.

...and he worked on the early films

Everyone has an opinion
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

I use outside sources to document and back up my opinions, and the opposing viewpoint says, "Nuh-uh?" and my opinion is not logical?

Huh?

I dont see how one can empirically quantify creative arts as being good or bad as so much is in the eye of the beholder and to pinpoint why you think something is good is a very ephemeral thing to attempt.

However I can say with some degree of certainty that just dredging up some quotes from a website to back up your point of view neither constitutes logic nor proof.

I'm sorry to be the one to break it you but Rotten Tomatoes is not the fount of all human knowledge. You may think that having a body of reviews backing up your point (whatever that is - so far all I can discern is that you think OP is shit. Discuss) means you have won the argument but I dont regard a random selection of critics and members of the public as experts on Bond.

The people on these forums with thousands of posts whose opinions I have grown to respect (sorry old chap that does not include you at present, nor, I daresay, the future) constitute experts on Bond films and if you had a large consensus from people here backing you up it would be worth a million times the opinion of some jobbing film reviewer working on a local rag who thinks he knows Bond films just because he has seen GF (the best obviously), has heard of George Lazenby (a disaster in the worst film of the series which was a box office disaster) and knows for sure that Daniel Craig's gritty reboot is exactly like the books, none of which he has read.

Heres an idea - why dont you actually offer a thought of your own that we can discuss instead of hiding behind people who are, at best, dubiously qualified to comment and at worst are just the general public for whom Bond films are all the same: gadgets, villains stroking cats and cheesy one liners?

BAIN123 wrote: »

...and he worked on the early films

Everyone has an opinion
    AHHH! "But Pierce brought it back."
    I like this bloke! :)>-
    It's my beloved franchise as well, but I can be objective and state not just my opinion but point out the views of the world at large to back up my opinions. There are certain virtues in the Moore films which I do point out, just like I freely accept the flaws in the Connery/Lazenby and Craig films, which I think are more in line with what the character should be on screen.

Huh?

Don't put words in my mouth and pull the "I'm not allowed to express my opinion?" rubbish.

I don't see how using reviews and such from a website that Bond fans take no interest in in any way makes your argument any more valid (as if a rating of 42% from 36 reviews indicates that the entire world abhors the film). As @Birdleson said a few posts back, we are true Bond fans whose opinions and reflections of the films are greater than ANY reviewer, whether it be Roger Ebert or Empire Magazine, and we recognise the faults of the films, but manage to find light in every film.

So you're basically saying that only your opinions matter?

Uh-huh.

Sorry, but I think I make my points fairly and you seem to simply object to my opinion. I feel like I can discuss a film's merits and shortcomings. That's what these threads are for, not just to cheerlead.
    @chrisisall That last line is probably going to ruffle a few feathers :-S (*hides*)

Huh?

Not sure where this came from. Where, in any of my posts, have a said this? Again, you're putting words in my mouth.

Huh?

Sorry, but I think I make my points fairly and you seem to simply object to my opinion. I feel like I can discuss a film's merits and shortcomings. That's what these threads are for, not just to cheerlead.

You haven't discussed, once, the merits of the film at hand. What shortcomings have you identified without playing the "Rotten Tomatoes" card? I recognise that Octopussy has its faults, but I don't resort to using faceless reviewers opinions on the film as evidence.

No, only your's don't.
    :)) Sorry old man, couldn't resist, you set it up. =))

Seriously though, I could post a thousand word essay stating the reasons why OP is a well made & entertaining film, or gather 50 deliriously positive reviews, but in the end all I can say is that it's a well-structured film with good pacing & excellent music. If you want it to be like FRWL, you'll obviously hate it. If you accept different takes on Bond (the way I accept different takes on the Batman) there is much fun to be had.
    Mileage varies; says so on a tee shirt.
    No, only your's don't.
    :)) Sorry old man, couldn't resist, you set it up. =))

Seriously though, I could post a thousand word essay stating the reasons why OP is a well made & entertaining film, or gather 50 deliriously positive reviews, but in the end all I can say is that it's a well-structured film with good pacing & excellent music. If you want it to be like FRWL, you'll obviously hate it. If you accept different takes on Bond (the way I accept different takes on the Batman) there is much fun to be had.
    Mileage varies; says so on a tee shirt.

Yes, I want it to be like FRWL, a good movie.

I prefer a tough, thug-like gentleman. That's Bond.

Not some old guy with more gags, winks and tickles than guns and fistfights.

Gimme a two-fisted Bond any day of the week.

Keep the silliness.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited November 2014 Posts: 9,117

Keep the silliness.

This is Bond to you is it? Just a bloke who goes round punching people?

Maybe you fancy Steven Seagal as the next Bond?
    Out of interest, why do you think it just has to come down to combat ability in terms of what you look for in Bond? Surely you'll agree that there's more to his character than being "hard"?
    Yes, I want it to be like FRWL
    Then may I humbly suggest you seek out threads that discuss your FAVOURITE Bond movies?
    (See the caps here; you must pay attention)
    It's more FUN to talk about the good bits than to go over & over what you see as the bad bits IMO.
    It's like asking if Batman has to be tough.

Of course he does.
    ...and yet Adam West is very popular as Batman. :p

Of course he does.

That's not my point. Why do you think he has to be JUST "tough"?

Of course he does.

Of course there's another side to Bond, the gentleman, world traveler, but yeah, I'd expect the world's best spy to be tough.

IN the end, I think that's what happened with the Moore films, where clearly he was not of the same snuff as the two pervious actors, and actually quite honestly from what I've read about sean and las they clearly were of a rather prickly personality, so perhaps the producers were tired of dealign with bigger than lifer personalities or in George's case, fragile insecurities and wanted another type of personality and so they focused more on the suave Bond than the tough guy.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    edited November 2014 Posts: 3,351
    It always baffles me why others get upset with someone else's personal enjoyment (or lack there of) of a film.

@TheWizardofIce hit the nail on the head with his analysis.

We can debate what we liked or disliked about a film, the film in general, but to try to prove one way or another that a film is empirically bad, seems fruitless. Sometimes I feel like the conversation evolves into:

A: I like this film!
    B: You can't like this film, it's bad!
    A: But... I enjoy it.
    B: Well you have a bad taste in movies then.

Even if you were able to quantify what a good or bad film was and how good or bad it was; moreover, if everyone based their opinions and personal enjoyment based on this, then everyone would have the same thoughts about the movie. Sounds boring to me.

Of course he does.

Of course there's another side to Bond, the gentleman, world traveler, but yeah, I'd expect the world's best spy to be tough.

IN the end, I think that's what happened with the Moore films, where clearly he was not of the same snuff as the two pervious actors, and actually quite honestly from what I've read about sean and las they clearly were of a rather prickly personality, so perhaps the producers were tired of dealign with bigger than lifer personalities or in George's case, fragile insecurities and wanted another type of personality and so they focused more on the suave Bond than the tough guy.

Although I'm not to sure about why you think the producers took a different direction (and I do believe that Moore could be tough!), I agree.

=))
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    :D

I went back a page in the thread to find his name and came back to type and my mind made the incorrect jump. Whoops! Sorry Wiz :p
    Yes, I want it to be like FRWL
    Then may I humbly suggest you seek out threads that discuss your FAVOURITE Bond movies?
    (See the caps here; you must pay attention)
    It's more FUN to talk about the good bits than to go over & over what you see as the bad bits IMO.

Well, as I've pointed out before, this is a forum for all opinions, not just those that you agree with, not just to talk about good bits.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    I have no trouble with @doubleohdad 's opinions. He had just started to become fairly repetitive (and not in the most pleasant way, but so it is) and on several threads.

He simply repeats his opinions (typically about Moore) in various different threads in a (usually) negative manner as to instigate. He knows most of us here like Roger so he just continually pulls out the "I h8 Rog" card.

So maybe he's not a troll, but he seems to be treading a thin line as a member on a Bond fanforum. You and I can disagree all day long about Octopussy but still remain on excellent terms. His posts feel more like attacks.

Also

10/10.
    Well, as I've pointed out before, this is a forum for all opinions, not just those that you agree with, not just to talk about good bits.
    Look man, no fan of Fleming's Bond likes the nonsensical bits in the motion pictures all that much, but we accept many of them in exchange for a great time, and sometimes, just sometimes, SOME of us find the moments amusing.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 7,506
    BAIN123 wrote: »

"But Pierce brought it back"? Pierce?? :-O Rage brewing! ~X( :ar!

No, no, just kidding, its not that important :P

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited November 2014 Posts: 17,865

Keep the silliness.

Well Leslie Charteris did refer to James Bond in a 1965 article as "Mike Hammer in a tie" Wiz. But I get your point of course! :)