The Amazing Spider-Man (2012 - 2014)

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Well, it's a comic book movie convention, pretty much ever since Jack Nicholson's Joker offed Bruce Wayne's parents, for the hero and the villain to sort of accidentally create one another. It doesn't always work.
    SPIDER-MAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES Voice Cast Reunites; Plus Character Designs & Storyboards
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/KingPatel/news/?a=110418

This was an amazing cartoon growing up.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    It was an amazing show and Barnes to me will is the definitive Spidey voice. I really loved this show and spidey ' s quips were so organic in context and delivery.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 1,107
    RUMOR: Sony Plan To Bring Emma Stone's 'Gwen Stacy' Back For TASM 3
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=110518

SONY, just get a passionate director, change the producers (Avi Arad has to go sorry) stick to the [frick]ing script, and don't interfere with the director, then you'll get yourself satisfied fans and a great spider-man movie. For [frick]s sake it's not that hard to let go!
    Sony!
    dsccy.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Gwen Stacy back is great news. If you read Spiderman in the 70s, you can guess what this means: I am happy to hear it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited November 2014 Posts: 28,694
    I wouldn't like a Clone Saga adaption here; I just don't think that'd work. Gwen's death was obviously expected by us fans considering all the clues the film gave us while in production, (hell, after that graduation speech you know she'll bite it) but when it came it was still earth-shattering and painful as hell. Andrew acted his Spider-butt off in that scene, as he does in every scene like that. You can feel Peter's pain so intensely that it takes that sequence to a whole new level. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Andrew and Emma's chemistry is the crowning achievement of this new Spider-Man universe, and it's no wonder why Sony are trying to throw Gwen back in.

As I said, I'm not a fan of a clone storyline of any sense, as it would also cheapen the impact of Gwen being taken away so soon and so harshly. This clone rumor does connect with the deleted scene from the film when Peter meets his father again (who supposedly faked his death), but who could very well be a clone himself. I just don't see them going that route, though.

I would love to see, however, Peter tormented by a death that is partly his fault, as he didn't heed Captain Stacy's words of wisdom and considerable skills with the crystal ball. If Gwen returned in flashbacks or Peter's hallucinations of her like they did perfectly with Captain Stacy in the second film I'd be all for it, but none of this clone stuff. If they're going to go the Clone Saga route, as least wait a while, make Peter mourn, and then torment him with it all over again.
    I wouldn't like a Clone Saga adaption here; I just don't think that'd work. Gwen's death was obviously expected by us fans considering all the clues the film gave us while in production, (hell, after that graduation speech you know she'll bite it) but when it came it was still earth-shattering and painful as hell. Andrew acted his Spider-butt off in that scene, as he does in every scene like that. You can feel Peter's pain so intensely that it takes that sequence to a whole new level. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Andrew and Emma's chemistry is the crowning achievement of this new Spider-Man universe, and it's no wonder why Sony are trying to throw Gwen back in.

As I said, I'm not a fan of a clone storyline of any sense, as it would also cheapen the impact of Gwen being taken away so soon and so harshly. This clone rumor does connect with the deleted scene from the film when Peter meets his father again (who supposedly faked his death), but who could very well be a clone himself. I just don't see them going that route, though.

I would love to see, however, Peter tormented by a death that is partly his fault, as he didn't heed Captain Stacy's words of wisdom and considerable skills with the crystal ball. If Gwen returned in flashbacks or Peter's hallucinations of her like they did perfectly with Captain Stacy in the second film I'd be all for it, but none of this clone stuff. If they're going to go the Clone Saga route, as least wait a while, make Peter mourn, and then torment him with it all over again.

I agree with everything sir. If this is true and leads into the Clone Saga, Sony are opening up yet another bag of anguish for themselves .Bringing her back would be horrible brain rape. If this is true, this would be a terrible idea.

It takes away from her death in TASM2 to bring a clone of her back in the very next sequel.

Sony needs to give the rights back to Marvel Studios. They have no idea what they are doing with the Spider-Man film franchise.
    Want An AUNT MAY Movie Without SPIDER-MAN? Sony Might Think You Do !!!
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=110873

Aunt May : The Movie

giphy.gif

JUST GIVE THE RIGHTS BACK TO MARVEL ! Please For God Sake! .

giphy.gif
    Dalton12 wrote: »
    Want An AUNT MAY Movie Without SPIDER-MAN? Sony Might Think You Do !!!
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=110873

Aunt May : The Movie

giphy.gif

JUST GIVE THE RIGHTS BACK TO MARVEL ! Please For God Sake! .

giphy.gif

You have got to be kidding me?!!!! =))
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited November 2014 Posts: 28,694
    Oh no, true believers. I just checked my calendar and it isn't April 1st!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

6m10b_zps7bd3237c.gif

giphy.gif

As bad as this sounds @Dalton12, there are sometimes when I think the Spider-man film rights wouldn't be any better back at Marvel. After all, these are the people who thought it was a good idea to have Peter and MJ erase any memory of their life together in a deal with the devil so that Aunt May's wrinkly old arse could be saved.

But honestly, Sony. What the hell are you thinking?!
    Marvel Studios aren't Marvel comics just so you know. Also, the comics have committed worse crimes in general when it comes to Marvel lore as a whole. Spidey NEEDS to go back to Marvel Studios, the only place where he'll ever truly be done justice.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Spidey NEEDS to go back to Marvel Studios, the only place where he'll ever truly be done justice.
    Big YEP here.
    Marvel Studios aren't Marvel comics just so you know. Also, the comics have committed worse crimes in general when it comes to Marvel lore as a whole. Spidey NEEDS to go back to Marvel Studios, the only place where he'll ever truly be done justice.

True, but I was more implying how some of the same knuckle-heads behind the whole One More Day arc could consult with the Marvel studio. Hopefully such a thing wouldn't happen, but then they did give us Spider-Man 3, so who knows?

[

As bad as this sounds @Dalton12, there are sometimes when I think the Spider-man film rights wouldn't be any better back at Marvel. After all, these are the people who thought it was a good idea to have Peter and MJ erase any memory of their life together in a deal with the devil so that Aunt May's wrinkly old arse could be saved.

I will rather have Uncle Ben : The Movie ! :D

[

I will rather have Uncle Ben : The Movie ! :D

I just hope all this is false reporting and empty gossip. I mean, how stupid would Sony have to be to believe the best way to overcome TASM2's underwhelming reception is to make an Aunt May-centric film?
    Yes I hope this is just a bad joke.
    Maybe Sony is planning a trilogy of spin-offs based on Spider-Man's human characters!

Aunt May spin-off
    J Jonah Jameson spin-off
    Robbie Robertson spin-off

giphy.gif

hY8nqGa.png
    I loved the cartoon show growing up and was an avid viewer! It was great to see him interact with other characters, so wish they would do the same for Spidey in the films!!!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I can't for the life of me understand why its easier for cartoons to keep the rights to certain characters.
    Hit the Presses: The J Jonah Jameson Story

As a youth, little JJ dreamed of nothing more than becoming a powerful newspaper magnate after seeing Orson Welles in the classic film Citizen Kane. His impressionable young mind was enraptured at the thought of giving the people the real stories, not the shock-inducing sensational and empty journalism newspapers all over the world were spouting. But it was only a dream, and a dream that would take some time to realize. You see, JJ's large family was housed in a poor tenement section of New York, and from the age of 13 little JJ would have to work a paper route just to bring home some extra money for his brothers and sisters. Each day he'd pass out the newspapers to waiting readers, wishing it was him making the headlines and calling all the shot from his golden desk.

Though his dream was sapped from him at the beginning of his life, in college JJ was renewed in his mission after anti-war rallies in the 70s sparked an onslaught of false stories in the news. He was on the front lines of the effort in New York, and knew that the protestors weren't the monsters they were being portrayed as in the press. Upon meeting a fellow radical by the name of Robert "Robbie" Robertson, JJ had the idea of creating his own paper right from his campus, which could be copied and sent out to the college community and surrounding New York area, giving them the facts. In his fight against botched media, JJ's bold uprising caught the attention of Arthur D. Bugle, who offered both he and Robbie jobs as part of his newspaper's journal staff. They'd head out into the real New York, smelling out the real stories and help to usher in a new age of honest journalism.

In a film full of childhood wonder, hopes, dreams and a fight against media oppression, the story of J Jonah Jameson speaks to a little part of all of us. Watch his brave ascension from a poor newspaper delivery boy to award-winning journalist of the Daily Bugle, and later, head honcho of the whole outfit, fighting to prove just how much of a fraudulent, no-good lying sack of crap that wretched Spider-Man really is.
    Thank God !
    Sony Says AUNT MAY Movie Without SPIDER-MAN Is A "Silly Rumor"
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=110917
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Thank God !
    Sony Says AUNT MAY Movie Without SPIDER-MAN Is A "Silly Rumor"
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=110917

I bet someone with inflicted hearing heard about the upcoming Ant-Man film.
    SPIDER-MAN Is World's Most Profitable Superhero (And It's Not Even Close)
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/KingPatel/news/?a=111109
    Congratulations to ol' webhead! It's astounding that Marvel brings in that much money from his trademark without even having the film rights to the character.

tumblr_mvnqjz0dVj1rqfhi2o1_400.gif

tumblr_megmrhgXxe1rafymyo1_500.gif

tumblr_n1aibeVfl51qi9hcuo1_500.gif

tumblr_n1m8klwlqd1rumd1ho2_250.gif

...and I raise you

2003839490.gif
  • I think all of the Spiderman movies are best.
    ...and I raise you

2003839490.gif

Oh, well played!

34123-tumblr_m7sdkxbwtt1qco1ibo4_250-key-peele-go-marvel-stan-lee-s-new-heroes.gif?width=250&height=250
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2014 Posts: 23,883
    I am personally not a fan of the reboot. The new characterisations do not resonate at all with me compared with the Maguire years.

I think they veered off course with the Maguire franchise by spending too much time on the sappy Mary Jane romance angle. It was ok (but a little thick) in SP2, but in SP3 I'd had about enought to be truthful.

They totally messed up SP3 with too many villains (and that joker Topher Grace was woefully miscast. He almost messed up Interstellar too).

Pity, I realize there is a rights issue and all that, but they rebooted too early and the new series is not jiving with fans the way that the old one did (if you recall, SP1 & 2 were huge way back in the early 00's).
    Some of the characterizations bug me too, @bondjames, but at least they finally got Gwen right. Watching the take Raimi and co. did of Gwen as basically a ditzy pretty face in Spider-Man 3 was almost too much to take. Seeing Emma's performance of a sharp, independent and cunning Gwen in this reboot as she should be portrayed was refreshing, as was the palpable chemistry she and Andrew had from the start. Their dynamic is what largely saves these films from being a step back from the Raimi ones, and what makes the inevitable tragic end to their relationship so powerful.

I often hear people going on and on about how these reboot films are truer to the character of Peter/Spider-Man from the comics than the Raimi films are, but I don't see them as being any more faithful than those three. In fact, where Tobey succeeded most of all was in making Peter truly feel like the nerdiest, most uncoordinated guy in the universe who was truly an outsider in his world. With Andrew's Peter, I almost feel like he comes off as too cool, and he never feels truly "geeky" or outcasted to me to the level that the comics Peter and Raimi Peter always does.

However, I do feel like Andrew has excelled in the area of drama, and that element is the essential thing he brings to the series. His acting in scenes of high intensity or sadness (Uncle Ben's death, Captain Stacy's death and Gwen's death) are powerful, moving and heart-wrenching. You can feel the pain coursing through Peter's veins when Andrew really gets to command the screen, and it's some of the greatest naturalistic acting I've seen in a while. I feel the same for many of the other actors, except for Dane Dehaan of course, for reasons already discussed. I still can't believe they gave that guy the job, or that they hired writers who portrayed Harry as such a prickish little snot.

I'd actually like to compare and contrast the Raimi films and these films to get really in depth about what works in each separate series sometime soon.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2014 Posts: 23,883
    I agree @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 that the treatment of Gwen was done much better in the reboot.

Unfortunately, Gwen was introducted in SP3, which was already a convoluted mess with all those villains.

In a way, the originals were victims of their own amazing success. After SP2 was such a blowaway hit (critically as well as commercially), I guess Sony had to up the ante and just threw the kitchen sink at SP3, and plot be damned. Pity because up till then the franchise was shaping up nicely.

I personally think Toby did an excellent job as Parker. I agree totally that he captured the nerdy essence much better. You felt for the guy. He had soul. Garfield just comes across like a nerd to me.....a dweeb......but I don't feel for him the way I felt for Maguire (must be the sad puppy eyes!).

Anyway, I hope this is a lesson to other franchises (Bond included) who may choose to reboot again for the sake of rebooting. One does not need to go back and retell origin stories every decade. Bond is a perfect example of how to move forward every decade with a new actor but not necessarily with a reboot (Craig era notwithstanding)
    Maguire's Peter is the classic true Peter Parker. He struggles with many personal problems. Keeping up with school work, paying bills, friendships etc all because of being Spider-Man. He is an interesting and likable Peter Parker because his life is a drama because of juggling both lives, and he is not an unpleasant jerk about it. Give me a Peter Parker who racks himself with guilt over his Uncle's death, who turns to his Uncle in his mind when he has to make tough decisions to quit. Who delivers genuine emotion when he confesses to Aunt May about his role in Ben's death. That's a real conflicted flawed person, not Garfield's Peter. He couldn't do scenes like this. He's not got the emotional depth or character for it. Maguire's Spider-Man is the personification of the true Spider-Man character. He didn't need to be shouting off quips every 30 seconds because that is not what defines who Spider-Man really is.

Every single one of Raimi's villains are well done, and in Venom's case even better than the comic book counterpart. The comic book Venom had the stupidest of reasons for hating Spider-Man. The movie actually improved Venom over the comic book version. In the comics Eddie Brock hates Spider-Man because Eddie published a news story about Sin Eater's identity that turned out to be false when Spidey caught the real Sin Eater. He got fired and his life went to crap, and he blames Spidey for that. All Spidey did was catch a serial killer. He didn't even know Eddie from Adam. They never met. Spidey was not an obstacle to Eddie writing a good honest news story.

In SM-3 Raimi made an actual connection between Peter and Eddie, and he gave him real reasons to hate him. Peter exposed Eddie's fraud, roughed him up and humiliated him, and dated the girl Eddie was infatuated with.

The Goblin story was superbly done. Norman and Harry Osborn were well developed three dimensional characters, and in Harry's case he had a proper friendship with Peter, and not some sloppy rushed 2 minute cheesy scene talking about mirrors and combs and skipping stones. Doc Ock was magnificent, and so true to the comics in so many ways, in spite of the redemption at the end.

The action scenes are magnificent, some of the finest of any comic book movie, and many people believe no CBM action sequence has topped the train fight of SM-2 and I agree.

MJ, aside from SM-3, was well done, and their relationship very well handled. There was proper depth there. MJ was not just a Miss perfect like TASM's Gwen. MJ was a real person with flaws and issues.

The supporting cast of Raimi's movies, especially Jonah and Aunt May, trump every supporting character in the TASM movies, who are all on the whole bland and forgettable, and in Captain Stacy's case nothing but a nagging jerk.
    I think Raimi was at the cusp of greatness until he was dealt the wrong cards.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif