Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited September 2014 Posts: 17,691
    FoxRox wrote: »
    the debut Bond film has always been one of my favorites in the series, and for me personally is the king of Terrence Young's films.
    Agreed. If only Barry had done the entire soundtrack it would have been pure perfection!
  • Dr. No
    Dr.No
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Dr. No.
    I am lovin' the Dr. No love here. =D>
    chrisisall wrote: »
    the debut Bond film has always been one of my favorites in the series, and for me personally is the king of Terrence Young's films.
    Agreed. If only Barry had done the entire soundtrack it would have been pure perfection!

True. At least we still got the classic theme arranged by him. I didn't mind the soundtrack too much, but if Barry did the whole thing it undoubtedly would have been better. Something about DN has always really appealed to me; I like how it doesn't scream "I'M THE FIRST JAMES BOND MOVIE EVER" - it's really not too easy to tell. Connery is terrific in it, of course, and I'm just constantly engaged by the mysterious plot. It still has one of my favorite storylines of the series. Also, Julius No is my favorite villain of the Connery films.
    Something about DN has always really appealed to me; I like how it doesn't scream "I'M THE FIRST JAMES BOND MOVIE EVER" - it's really not too easy to tell. Connery is terrific in it, of course, and I'm just constantly engaged by the mysterious plot. It still has one of my favorite storylines of the series. Also, Julius No is my favorite villain of the Connery films.
    All agreed! DN (& TLD IMO) just reek of Fleming near OTT madness whilst keeping a leash on it.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 2,189
    It's clear that DR. NO wins this one. Don't get me wrong, FYEO is great, but its nothing next to DN...
    It's clear that DR. NO wins this one. Don't get me wrong, FYEO is great, but its nothing next to DN...
    A BIG yep. Not really a contest.

Always loved this thread when it was up and running, and even more pleased to have it back!

Like many of you seem to agree, Dr. No is easily the superior film.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    This is a tough one. I love both of them for different reasons. I'd have to give a slight edge to Dr. No though.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    FYEO, by a long shot. I find DN to be plodding and fairly tedious.

The reason it doesn't shout it's "the first James Bond film" is because nobody could have guessed the success the film would achieve.

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Tough decision here. I want to say tie, but I think FYEO just edges it for me. Just checked out my ranking list from December '11 (I rarely rank them), and FYEO is one above DN in 6th/7th place.
  • Dr No
    I love FYEO but am deeply in awe of Dr No.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    b28679099334f5806457a979c4876434.jpg
  • Dr. No
  • Campbell2Campbell2 Epsilon Rho Rho house, Bending State University
    FYEO
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    pachazo wrote: »
    This is a tough one. I love both of them for different reasons. I'd have to give a slight edge to Dr. No though.

I will just echo this.
    Even though FYEO i think is possibly Moore's strongest performance as Bond? I would most likely air on the side of Dr No!
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    I would most likely air on the side of Dr No!
    "air", LOL, are you American?
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I would most likely air on the side of Dr No!
    "air", LOL, are you American?

Lol! Nope! Just tired!
    Lol! Nope! Just tired!
    That explains it.
    :)>-
    Jump-starting this discussion back up again! I'm going to try to keep this one going for longer than one page this time, haha.
    It's probably fairly clear that DN was the round winner for this last one; I wasn't too terribly surprised, though I thought FYEO would receive a little more support!

Next round begins now!

The Man with the Golden Gun vs. Tomorrow Never Dies
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The PTS of TND alone is better than the whole TMWTGG
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    TND, absolutely, and both of them didn't sit well with me in the last few viewings.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I'm currently doing my Bondathon, and the winner for me is The Man with The Golden Gun.

1. Roger Moore is at his peak in TMWTGG, as is Pierce Brosnan in TND. I much prefer Moore's interpretation of Bond to begin with (much more gravitas imho) and in TMWTGG he is just brilliant.....a bit of a b'stard, and I love it. Pierce is good in TND (although imho it's not his best performance) but harder edged Roger in TMWTGG is gold (no pun intended).
    2. Barry's score is audacious and bold. It may not be his best but I think it's better than Arnold's TND effort (which I really appreciated more during my Bondathon than I did in the past however).
    3. I prefer bikini clad Goodnight and sulty Anders much more than stiff Paris & action girl Wai Lin
    4. Christopher Lee... Nuff said
    5. Nic Nac vs. Stamper. It's a draw (Nic Nac is original but a wimp.....Stamper is just derivative of Grant/Hans)
    6. Plot - TND is too derivative of the great TWSLM without bringing too much new to the table (although the press angle is a nice and innovative one that should have been incorporated into a less copycat style outing). Although TMWTGG's plot is so-so, it is at least somewhat original (and the man to man between Bond and Scaramanga is enticing)
    7. Asian locations - far better utilized in TMWTGG from my point of view
    8. Action - clear (and I mean 'clear') win for TND. It's not even close. This film features some of the best sequences in the series, including the amazing pretitles and the incredible bike chase. The car chase I give to TMWTGG as I was more engaged with that one).
    9. Better kung fu in TMWTGG (yes, I think more highly of Hip's nieces than I do of Wai Lin).

I like TND quite a lot (it's one of the few films to move up in rank during my recent Bondathon) and both films are a blast, but overall I find TMWTGG to be a more engaging and unique Bond experience.
  • The Man with the golden gun

Even though it as fallen quite a bit in my ranking, i still find it to be a very fun bond movie. And Lee is an excellent villian.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    TMWTGG way ahead.