Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

Lazenby's "This never happened to the other fellow" is kind of either or both of breaking the fourth wall and just speaking to himself if you ask me. Obviously a reference to Connery though.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited March 2014 Posts: 17,691
    FoxRox wrote:
    Obviously a reference to Connery though.

Obviously. But I can take it the other way too, so it doesn't bother me at all.

But on topic, LTK blows SF out of the water IMO.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 1,817
    Murdock wrote:
    I'm okay with the winking fish. It's a heck of a lot better than Bond winking at the camera.
    neversayneveragain-wink.jpg

But that ain't Bond, that is Sean Connery in some McClory movie.
    barryt007 wrote:
    0013 wrote:
    Skyfall
    But LTK has great moments too. Perhaps there are artistic elements that could've been improved: the score, photography and taking away that damn winking fish!

Dont get me started on that bloody fish !!
    Why oh why,after a dark,serious film did they have to put that there at the last moment !!
    When i saw that at the cinema i was totally peed off and people in the audience were saying things like 'WTF' etc ?

Embarrassing...... ~X(

Yes... I don't know why... It's so weird and out of place.
    Birdleson wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    barryt007 wrote:
    Why oh why,after a dark,serious film did they have to put that there at the last moment !!
    Well mate, the bloody fish winks every so often. And they used it. I don't mind it a bit.

Actually, that part doesn't really bother me that much for that reason. I just let myself believe that it's a mechanical function of the thing and it's time to wink had come. I'd still rather it wasn't there, though.

Hahaha i will try that approach next time i watch it ,good thinking !

chrisisall wrote:
    Sounds right @Birdleson. The OP is a bit iffy, but yeah, it fits in there.
    I've always given a free pass to Lazenby though, since it *could* be a reference to Cinderella to himself with us just looking in his eyes... ;)

That's actually a very clever explanation,that I never thought of myself.
    Gives one the chance to ignore the fourth wall break, if one doesn't like such silliness. Some people get turned down by such things, even so I'm not one of them.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Just off topic for a sec:
    Birdleson wrote:
    So, if NSNA is included, how many times has Bond broken the fourth wall? OHMSS (obvious), NSNA (the wink) and I include the theme song being played by Vijay (along with Bond's reaction to it) in OP.
    Brosnan's quip in TND, "They'll print anything these days"... I'm convinced he breaks the fourth wall here due to the delivery, and he's pretty much looking at the camera.
    License to kill is WAYYYY better than Skyfall.
  • LTK is very realistic compared to how SF turned out.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Sf for the most part has an even tone, LTK's tone is all over the place, it should have either been gritty or just stuck with TLD's model.
    Shardlake wrote:
    Sf for the most part has an even tone,
    Yeah, but it's still not as realistic as LTK.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 11,425
    Much as I hate to come to SF's defence, I have never regarded realism as a key ingredient of a Bond movie. I don't really understand why some people rate it so highly - in the context of Bond, of course.

That's not too say I want films like MR or DAD. Just that an element of the fantastical/absurd is actually what makes Bond special, IMO. I think Mendes got it right in that sense - I just don't think that overall the film is as great as many are making out.
    License To Kill all the way,Better Bond, better action,better Bond girls, better everything!
    edited March 2014 Posts: 17,691
    Getafix wrote:
    I just don't think that overall the film is as great as many are making out.
    Well, it's not. But TND isn't as great as I make it out to be either.
    There is only a tiny number of truly perfect Bond movies, and they star Connery or Dalton.
    While I do agree that the script is flimsy at times there is one critical aspect of SF I think clinches the deal - the ACTING.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    While I do agree that the script is flimsy at times there is one critical aspect of SF I think clinches the deal - the ACTING.

The acting is much better in LTK.Dalton easily beats Craig in that department.Also helps that LTK ends with a terrific tanker truck chase rather than a home alone homage in scotland.

AstonLotus wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

The acting is much better in LTK

Is it? The likes of Kelifer is laughable.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    I just don't think that overall the film is as great as many are making out.
    Well, it's not. But TND isn't as great as I make it out to be either.
    There is only a tiny number of truly perfect Bond movies, and they star Connery or Dalton.

TSWLM...?
    TSWLM is very good but it's not perfect. Mainly because of Bach's poor performance and an underused villain.

I only watched it the other day.
    Outrageous. Bach is one of the best Bond girls - ever!
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 11,189
    The character I agree is a good one but it's Bach's performance that drags her down. I can't do an impression of her on here but if you think delivering..lines..like..this..in..one..tone..of..voice is good acting then fine.

"Why..don't..you..lie..down"

"The..cylinder..head..gasket".

There's a shot when Bond's in a lift and when the door opens you can hear her say "how interesting". Possibly one of the worst line readings in the series I've ever heard. Not far off Tommy waseau in The Room.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    The character I agree is a good one but it's Bach's performance that drags her down. I can't do an impression of her on here but if you think delivering..lines..like..this..in..one..tone..of..voice is good acting then fine.

"Why..don't..you..lie..down"

"The..cylinder..head..gasket".

There's a shot when Bond's in a lift and when the door opens you can hear her say "how interesting". Possibly one of the worst line readings in the series I've ever heard. Not far off Tommy waseau in The Room.

Come on - give her a break. I admit it, she's not a great actress, but I just think she works pretty well in the movie. She looks great and seems to fit the tone of the picture really well. I think she's pretty memorable in her own unique way.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Meh, she's alright but not that great. Moore makes up for things though (definitely one of his best performances as Bond). His presence makes her more manageable.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Meh, she's alright but not that great. Moore makes up for things though (definitely one of his best performances as Bond). His presence makes her more manageable.

I think they make one of the better pairings from the Moore era. Perhaps one of the best of the series.
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

I think they make one of the better pairings from the Moore era. Perhaps one of the best of the series.

They made a fairly decent pair but I wouldn't go so far to say best in the series.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Craig gives a far more balanced performance of Bond than
    Dalton ever delivered in the role.

TD fans like to go on about his acting and he's great in certain aspects but as an all rounded 007 Craig is considerably "yes considerably " better.

Davi is good but I'll take Bardem personally for his introduction alone, plus I don't remember Craig turning Yorkshire when playing Bond.

"thing were about to turn nasty"

SF will age considerably "yes considerably" better.

LTK is always going to be certain Bond fans favourite and not much more. I used to think it was my favourite Dalton but from a recent watch TLD stands up better.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Shardlake wrote:
    Davi is good but I'll take Bardem personally for his introduction alone, plus I don't remember Craig turning Yorkshire when playing Bond.

"thing were about to turn nasty"

It's hard to tell when Craig mumbles so much.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 11,425
    TLD is the better of the two TD movies, IMO.

Yes, Dalton's Mancunian accent does pop up here and there. Apparently he's got a bit of a thing about his accent. At RADA they tried to wipe out his regional accent and in the process his confidence was completely shot. He does not have much positive to say about RADA actually. In his own words, it took him a long time to find his own voice again after that. A shame he doesn't seem to have much control over when the inner Manc comes out. Verges from RSC to Corrie and back again in the same scene! Still a very good actor though. More range than DC, IMO.
    Shardlake wrote:
    Craig gives a far more balanced performance of Bond than
    Dalton ever delivered in the role.
    IYHO?

Let's be real here... Dalton could have done the stoic, steely it's-all-on-the-inside performance, but that's the easy way out. He wanted to take chances. Not all chances work out for the best, but it's far more interesting than playing it totally (or near totally) safe. IMO.

Personally for me Craig's performance in the Dench death scene was more powerful than anything Dalton did. It was the first time for ages I genuinely felt sorry for Bond.

There are times when I'm not so certain about Craig's performance like when he's at the bar in Macau BEFORE he stares into Severine's eyes ("yeesss"), but I'd say overall its stronger than Dalton's in LTK.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Licence to Kill, by far.