Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Hey guys, can we do TSWLM vs. OP?
  • TSWLM.

That was easy.
    TSWLM.
    That was easy.

I feel like I *should* like TSWLM better... (Lotus sub, Derek Meddings, Caroline Munro)... but the serious parts of OP genuinely excite me whilst TSWLM is just too comic-book for me to really care on that level. Plus: I really love Moore's performance in OP- by that time he had absolutely nothing to prove, and seemed his most charming & relaxed.
    Oh, and Barry.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited September 2013 Posts: 3,262
    While I can understand why many would pick TSWLM(the more iconic film with the submersible Lotus, Jaws, the ski parachute escape), I'm going to pick OP. I like the way Cold War tensions are depicted better in the 1983 film. Both Stromberg and Orlov want to start WWIII but Orlov's plan seems like something that could actually happen in reality and generates a lot more excitement in the second 1/2 as Bond races across East and West Germany to stop it. Plus, as chrisisall mentions, it's got John Barry's music.
  • Went with Octopussy. They're both fine Moore adventures but I think the 1983 release simply has more to offer. Barbara Bach is streets ahead of Adams as the more attractive Bond girl, but has black marks for it with the highly exaggerated hyperbole ski jump in the pre titles sequence and Kurt Jurgens awful and banal main adversary

OP provides the third greatest pre titles sequence of the series, has plenty of action and suspense, even if Moore does play the fool a little too often. Carly Simon's awful and often irritating theme intro is another reason why TSWLM misses out
    edited September 2013 Posts: 17,691
    Orlov's plan seems like something that could actually happen in reality and generates a lot more excitement in the second 1/2 .
    Yep!
    For all its slick glory, TSWLM just seems more formula and less ultimately 'organic' a tale than OP. To me, anyway.
  • YOLT.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Hey guys, can we do TSWLM vs. OP?

TSWLM but I love both. Easily my favourite Moore films and both are in my top 10.
  • TSWLM was my first ever Bond and OP was my first ever Bond at the cinema.

However, TSWLM wins hands down.
    TSWLM was my first ever Bond and OP was my first ever Bond at the cinema.

It's because of the Lotus sub, isn't it?
    YOLT. Though theyre very close if not next to eachother in my ranks. Same goes for OP/TSWLM but I have to give it to Spy. At least for now.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 6,396
    chrisisall wrote:

When you're 6 years old you WILL believe a Lotus can turn into a submarine. It was the most amazing thing I had ever seen. Imagine the crushing disappointment when I found out years later how that sequence was done! ;-)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Most definitely The Spy Who Loved Me, more than OP, although I enjoy OP.
    TSWLM is great, one of my favorites.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I like the first half of TSWLM better but I prefer the second half of OP. So I'd like to combine them and choose that as my pick for the ultimate Moore extravaganza. Let's call it The Spy Who Loved... er, on second thought let's call it OctoSpy.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 3,494
    chrisisall wrote:

When you're 6 years old you WILL believe a Lotus can turn into a submarine. It was the most amazing thing I had ever seen. Imagine the crushing disappointment when I found out years later how that sequence was done! ;-)

Did you see the 2012 "Top Gear" Bond car special where they now have a working model that actually drives underwater? Sans gadgets, of course.

www.vimeo.com/52658486

• Oh I certainly did @SirHenry. No way I was going to miss that. Just such a shame that they couldn't have found an old Lotus Esprit, but otherwise it was pretty bloody good. I'd chew my own arm off to have had a go in that :-)
    I missed the one before this, and although 'For Your Eyes Only' is one of my favourite Bond films, and certainly my fave Moore film, i've got to go with 'You Only Live Twice'..

The next one, my choice would be - 'The Spy Who Loved Me'..
    FYEO vs YOLT

TSWLM vs OP
    After another leave of absence from myself, I am back, and hopefully prepared to stick around to keep this thread rolling! Clearly, the winner of the YOLT/FYEO match was none other than FYEO!

Next match: Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World is not Enough
    TWINE. Best Bond movie of all time
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Worthy winner.
    I give it to DAF.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    TWINE
  • 00Beast wrote:
    After another leave of absence from myself, I am back, and hopefully prepared to stick around to keep this thread rolling! Clearly, the winner of the YOLT/FYEO match was none other than FYEO!

Next match: Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World is not Enough

It's good to see you back @00Beast

obviously, the winner for this round has to be The World Is Not Enough
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    TWINE, definitely.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited November 2013 Posts: 4,422
    Glad to see you back @00Beast

TWINE was the first Bond movies I saw in the cinema, and it holds a special place in my heart.

TWINE
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    edited November 2013 Posts: 2,044
    None of them are particulary good, as both of them have a steady place in my "bottom three".
    But DAF have some better scenes, a better (and funnier script) and up to Bonds arrival to Las Vegas is a fine film overall. And yes, it has Connery that are fine to good in some of his scenes.

TWINE is just melodrama at it's best, it's boring and awfully directed and written. And it has a inferior theme-song. Too.

DAF (albeit not by much)
    Don't really like either film but as DAF is second bottom on my list, TWINE gets the nod by default.
  • The World is Not Enough wins pretty handily. Both are disappointing missed opportunities that have just enough good points to make it frustrating.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Diamonds Are Forever. Both are very poor Bond films.
    TWINE was less pink shirt and fat uncle Connery.

DAF suffers Connery's return (even if I love the bloke) and would have been better served with Lazenby trying to avenge his wife.
  • Both films have their problems but i will give my vote to DAF for being far more entertaining. TWINE is just a bit dull and has some of the worst action sequences of all the Bond films. Not a huge fan of Charles Grey as Blofeld in DAF and the finalé aboard the oil rig is just plain awful. The song and score are much better in DAF and I prefer Jill St John firing a machinegun in a bikini to Denise Richards defusing a bomb in a tube.