The November Man (2014) - Pierce Brosnan's return to the spy genre

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Reviewers do often get to see an advance of the film, before it hits theaters.
    0% positive review of Raten Tomatoes.
    Another turkey; it's over for Pierce.
    Indeed he should quit show biz, StoneShi. I would expect no less from you, actually. How much more negative can you get? We shall see. Ha!

:) I'll still see it and make up my own mind. No matter what, Pierce has had an excellent post Bond career, which is far from over.
    Murdock wrote: »
    How could their be reviews of a movie not out yet? :-??

There will have been a press screening. That's how critics are able to review film before they hit general release.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited August 2014 Posts: 5,080
    You people made the movie sound really really good but from everything I've seen and read I expect nothing more than a cliche action movie that we've seen in the early 2000s :(
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

More spoilers. Is there anyone who can review a movie without some f*cking spoilers?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited August 2014 Posts: 16,333
    Nope, every critic these days has to spoil everything. I don't read reviews for that very reason. I'll wait to see the movie. I don't need some hipster telling me how to watch a movie. I want to see a new spy movie with Pierce Brosnan and that's what I'm going to do.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Nope, every critic these days has to spoil everything. I don't read reviews for that very reason. I'll wait to see the movie. I don't need some hipster telling me how to watch a movie. I want to see a new spy movie with Pierce Brosnan and that's what I'm going to do.

This. Nothing more needs to be said on the film for me. I'll judge it when I see it.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

This. Nothing more needs to be said on the film for me. I'll judge it when I see it.

I thought the main trailer made the film out to be a fairly average B-movie action film sadly. That was without reading any reviews. It may be that the film is surprisingly good but word of mouth hasn't been great.
    Well we know Pierce could not and would not even want to do this as a copy of Bond. It has to be a bit different, and he is excited about this character and the books. I am not expecting another serious spy/detective/thriller film like, say, Heat or Tinker, Tailor... or Inception. I am hoping for a fun action spy film with a main character that I'll enjoy watching in more than one film. I like Pierce and I hope enough folks really like him in this role. I think he still looks great and can kick ass.

I've noticed myself agreeing with only very few critics over the past 15 years or so. I think my expectations for the kind of enjoyable film I am hoping for are realistic enough. No matter, I'll definitely see it and I hope there is a second one.
    I like Pierce too. I admit I don't think he's the greatest of actors but he is entertaining to watch. I've seen him give some crap performances and some good ones.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 1,661
    In this screenshot from The November Man Brosnan looks so much like his younger Bond self! ;)

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fd1oi7t5trwfj5d.cloudfront.net%2Fde%2F97%2Fad93cfd24d0aa2be0747198e9c3d%2Fnovember-man.jpg

That could be a screencap from his version of Quantum of Solace!
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    As of now, no German release date. :(
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    LeChiffre wrote:
    Hopefully he'll make a decent film again. Not done so since The Matador!

The Ghost Writer ???

Agree. I liked GHOST WRITER. And funny, that this movie was shot completely In Germany, but no one noticed.
    This is from Toronto Sun and I eleminate the spoiler

The November Man is a sometimes thrilling spy thriller starring Pierce Brosnan as the anti-Bond.

This is a raw, cruel, violent and often incoherent look at the international spy game. It is a game that 007 would never play, no matter who is standing in James Bond’s shoes.

Prediction: A lot of people are going to hate Roger Donaldson’s movie, which was adapted from the novel by the late American writer and journalist Bill Granger, who died in 2012. Granger was a young man during the Cold War and The November Man has the heavily packed baggage of that era, even though it is set in contemporary times.

As a story, and as a movie, this effort also has a low-budget, old-school, retro look-and-feel. But it also has Brosnan and he makes it interesting, even with (or maybe because of) the age wrinkles, the tightness in his gait, the sad eyes and the world-weariness that has consumed his performances post-Bond. I find all that fascinating. Hence, I can buy into The November Man, even with its obvious flaws. Brosnan always gravitated to complex, conflicted, even impossible characters and this is one of them.

The movie was adapted from Granger’s novel by Michael Finch (who contributed to Predators) and Karl Gajdusek (who wrote for two TV series, Last Resort and Dead Like Me). Brosnan served as one of many executive producers on the movie, so he had a stake in its outcome and, we presume, in the choice of filmmaker Donaldson, a workmanlike veteran from Australia, as the director.

n any case, after a lot of plodding plot revelations, Brosnan finds himself in the cesspool that The November Man creates. The story lurches through a linked series of violent confrontations, daring escapes and a couple of tender moments. All the actors just do their duty, but Brosnan brings something deeper, even a little crazier, to the screen. That is why we watch.
    All the more reason for me to see it.
    edited August 2014 Posts: 12,459
    "All the actors just do their duty, but Brosnan brings something deeper, even a little crazier, to the screen. That is why we watch."

That's why I watch - oh yeah! :-bd I really like Brosnan. Looking forward to seeing him in this one.

Thanks, Germanlady. :)
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 1,661
    "Imagine James Bond without the charm, heart, and sense of humor. All that’s left, if you think about it, is a sexist, narcissistic sociopath. And that’s “The November Man,”

[url]http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/november-man-movie-rev iew-article-1.1917759[/url]

James Bond without the charm, heart and sense of humour?

I thought that was Daniel Craig's Bond!

=))
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Germanlady wrote: »
    This is a raw, cruel, violent and often incoherent look at the international spy game.

But it also has Brosnan and he makes it interesting, even with (or maybe because of) the age wrinkles, the tightness in his gait, the sad eyes and the world-weariness that has consumed his performances post-Bond.

That's exactly how Bill Granger portraied the character in the books, thus Brosnan perfectly nailed it.
    Pretty solid film. 3/5 Going to be a good movie series for Pierce I hope!
    Well, even if this one has flaws, it still has Pierce (always a huge plus for me) and a good character that has potential (from what I can tell). Therefore, I will definitely see this one and I fervently hope there is another one. Because whatever they need to tweak or change a bit to get it even more right, they can do that if given the chance.
    I plan on seeing it this weekend. I'm very excited.
    Cool! Do let us know; I cannot wait to hear your opinion, Murdock. :)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    It's showing near me, but BLAST IT! All day tomorrow I'm booked with doctor & dentist appointments!!!! Even my day off isn't one!! [-( I'll have to wait until Friday....
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    IGN.com gave a 5.8 MEDIOCRE note to the movie. :(
    Yes, I am hearing mediocre for the film but mostly ok for Pierce.
    It seems there may be a
    scene that is too brutal, that sort of takes the audience away from rooting for Pierce, that perhaps surprises the audience. But then again, this is a grimmer, more brutal character. But the big question of all that is: do audiences want that kind of inconsistency with Pierce Brosnan in this role? Personally, I want to be able to root for him the whole film. I don't mind a gritter, more violent character but I do want to be on his side and taken too aback by his actions. He can play darker characters, but this one is set up for a series of films. So I think adapting the book - and the main character in particular - may have been tricky.
    I wonder when we'll ever get another critically acclaimed Brosnan film? It's not November Man by all accounts. He deserves better material.
    It opened with just $861,238 in box office takings on Wednesday.

It's predicted to take around $9 million by the close of the weekend.
    Well, this one is supposed to be (I think) an entertaining action spy flick. Not the kind usually up for being "critically acclaimed." He has had The Matador, which certainly was. I'm happy for him to do a variety of films, the more lending itself to being hailed critically of course, but fun or pure entertaining films, too.