SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• edited August 2014 Posts: 2,015
    Wow, Marketto, you keep on impressing me :) Where does it come from ? Frankly, I think they would have put this one a bit under the radar...
    Matt_Helm wrote: »
    Wow! Maybe you should go and find yourself a job in the spy business ;)

I worked (but indirectly, long story) a little bit (a very little bit, because the prototype of the tool I worked upon was not satisfying enough) for some guys in the VFX industry, in the previsualisation on set department.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Why was this even necessary?

Turn it the other way round : if Craig and Rapace had invested the energy to prepare a 20 second long fight choreography that's quite intense, they would have made it very clear it was them on the screen, and therefore no silhouette :)
    Couldn't Craig film what is by far one of the simplest choreographed fist fights in all his 3 Bond movies? It's not like they were firing off real guns.

This ends with a 20 second long shot with no cut. The Bond/Slate fight in QoS or the stairway fight in CR ? Well, it's 1 or 2 seconds long at best when it's Craig on screen I think. Not because he can't handle more, but because you won't risk so huge budgets on a stuntman hitting him in the face and so on.

And it would be even more risky to have non-professional stuntman Ola Rapace "hitting" Craig. Here they had a professional stuntman "hitting" Rapace, Rapace could use all his energy to reply :)

In this scene, you have also obviously CG when Patrice falls (and I still wonder why they didn't use the images from the trailer instead, frankly), and before that Bond under the lift during the vertical shot was IMO 100% CG too (I think the avatar looks a bit too shiny). But Bond running and jumping on the lift at the beginning is 100% the real Craig - although I'm sure there are also CG to remove matresses and wires, and that he didn't put his right feet on something as narrow as what we see on screen.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    http://www.meinbezirk.at/obertilliach/chronik/kommt-james-bond-zum-agentenshowdown-nach-obertilliach-d1051905.html

Just says, that Obertillach in Austria MIGHT be the place, they want to go and that DC will be there in January for 3 days. If that is all, it will only be a mini scene.

You are too cautious be a tabloid journalist or a webzine author : the line about the skidoos chase could be turned into a scoop :) Never mind it's a beispiel from the author !

• edited August 2014 Posts: 6,601
    I think, at times they do "easy" stunts with a stuntman. For example in CR, in the Embassy sequence, when Bond throws Moluka out of the window, its Ben doing that. Can't DC do that? Sure he can, but probably not in the save way the other stuntman needs it to fall savely.

@parachute: Overall the logic is right, but you can see clearly its DC much more then a few seconds in the stairwell fight and there ARE a lot of cuts and bruises due to risky fight scenes, even on the main stars.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 2,015
    @parachute: Overall the logic is right, but you can see clearly its DC much more then a few seconds in the stairwell fight and there ARE a lot of cuts and bruises due to risky fight scenes, even on the main stars.

Yes, but I was talking about the length of each shot : only 1 or 2 seconds. They can stop the shooting between each shot (that's why it's so boring on set). If they had wanted to do a 20 second shot of 50 years old non-professional stuntman at all Isaac de Bankole trying to "hit" Craig with a machete... hm... was it worth it ? They have to choregraph everything, they're not just thinking only about not really hitting the other guy.

For instance, when Craig is really thrown on the wall near the end of this stair scene, you can see it's not Isaac de Bankole who's throwing him like a rugby player, but a professional stuntman who knows what he's doing. They can give Craig some protection on his back only for this 2 seconds shot, etc.

Also, when Craig really jumps under the lift in SF, there's room for bruises and aches if he misses his jump, even with matresses and safety wires.. The same obviously for the train scenes in the PTS. But a bad punch on the face by a fellow actor is another matter for the close-up scenes in the next days ! :)
    OK :)
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    The question is not what DC is or isn't able to do but what the Insurance Company allows him to do. It's as simple as that. To be honest, I'm amazed at how much they still allow him to do after all the problems he had during QoS.

Great find @Germanlady. Three days are enough for a few close up shots for a bigger scene or for a small scene. We'll see.
    Its probably in the November Man thread, but it sure makes sense here ;) Watch the second one
    http://screencrush.com/pierce-brosnan-jimmy-fallon/?trackback=tsmclip
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Its probably in the November Man thread, but it sure makes sense here ;) Watch the second one
    http://screencrush.com/pierce-brosnan-jimmy-fallon/?trackback=tsmclip

Thanks for bringing that second vid to our attention and yes, it's a very poignant tidbit in relation to the topic if discussion.
  • Germanlady wrote:
    http://www.meinbezirk.at/obertilliach/chronik/kommt-james-bond-zum-agentenshowdown-nach-obertilliach-d1051905.html

Just says, that Obertillach in Austria MIGHT be the place, they want to go and that DC will be there in January for 3 days. If that is all, it will only be a mini scene.

The article @Germanlady found also says that filming is planned of a chase on skidoos and that a mountain village will be built above the village of Obertilliach.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    It's the use of CG that I question. For the silhouette fight they should have used what ever Craig and Ola could do and then use stuntmen for the rest. The gun shots could have still gone off without needing to light up the their faces. The scene would have still worked and they could have spared themselves an unnecessary CGI effects expense.
  • Silhouette fighting with lots of camera cuts looks unwatchable to me (who is who ?!).

About skidoos and mountain village, the first is an example from the author of the column from what I understand, the second looks like a more reliable piece of information, but finally, like in Roma, they hope Bond will come here that's why they want to stay quiet about it.. Well, in Roma, the guy bragged a lot Bond would come to Italy thanks to him :)
    Anyone signed up to this:

A UK production blog that loans out vehicles and equipment to film people has updated when Bond 24 will start filming.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Anyone signed up to this:

A UK production blog that loans out vehicles and equipment to film people has updated when Bond 24 will start filming.

Is this a reliable source?
    The Knowledge: Film, Television and Commercial ...
    www.theknowledgeonline.com/
    Diese Seite übersetzen
    The Knowledge is a comprehensive production directory, giving you contact information of crew and comprehensive information on UK film, TV and commercial production. ... Wise & Co Chartered Accountants View Showreel. Any Effects
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    That is an interesting new source, if reliable! Sounds like it could be.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2014 Posts: 13,350
    Note that article says Daniel Craig has been taking skiing lessons. This is what the Sun article mentioned for those able to read it. It's for a sequence they want to top Majesty's.

I'm sure the first day of filming will be posted elsewhere online soon.
    Getting excited now. :)
    Bond on skis ... I hope DC is a quick learner. And I personally don't need constant cutting to close ups to make the scene exciting. Just saying ...

And I know it is not confirmed yet. But looking more likely.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2014 Posts: 13,350
    It's confirmed but not announced.

As for when filming begins, my guess is Monday 1st December.
    Very cool. Yes: Cool ~ snow~ skis ... ;)
    Hope it's a well written scene and not a complete homage to OHMSS or TSWLM.
    I want it to have its own character, something memorable (whether dramatic, or chase, or romantic, or whatever).
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I don't know if I'm the only one, but I want the return of OHMSS theme during the ski chase (if there's going to be one).
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    Given that the same site is talking about Kate Upton as a Bond girl, I suggest everyone save their 495 GBP to find out what they claim is the production start date.
    Okay, we shall note that, JamesPage; thanks. :)

And for the OHMSS theme during the ski chase, I personally really do not want that. I don't; it would take me out of the scene too much - I do not need a musical cue homage during some scene.
    Samuel001 wrote: »
    Note that article says Daniel Craig has been taking skiing lessons. This is what the Sun article mentioned for those able to read it. It's for a sequence they want to top Majesty's.
    What article, Sam? Just the Sun one or somewhere else?

Oh ok, thanks Sam. So nothing really confirmed yet.
    Glad we are getting some news now.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 4,619
    JamesPage wrote: »
    Given that the same site is talking about Kate Upton as a Bond girl, I suggest everyone save their 495 GBP to find out what they claim is the production start date.

What if Kate Upton really ends up being the Bond girl? :) Something else: JamesPage, what do you make of David Arnold's tweet about him not composing the score of Bond 24?

If they want to top Majesty's ski sequence, they're only going to do it by having Blofeld chase Bond down the alps again, but bigger and better. And I don't think that's happening here. It's going to be snowmobiles after Bond. I don't doubt it should be great.. but I'm hesitant to say we'll ever top Majesty's sequence.

And they are to build an entire convincing mountain village in Austria by a shoot date in January? It is 5 months away, but for us to only have 1 report of it is interesting. That's going to take a lot of work.

Also, for those who think it may be just a minor scene, Craig was only on the Skyfall lodge set for less than a week if I remember correctly. They just need him for some running shots, slow skiing shots, closeups, etc. Hopefully we get a great stunt team, which I have yet to be disappointed with the team thus far.

Earlier this week I reported that I was more excited for MI:5. The promise of a ski chase in the Austrian Alps and the possibility of a car chase through Rome may have swayed me, finally, back to being excited for this production. I just can't have too much faith in Mendes.
    December 1st is my birthday what a great birthday preasent if Bond 24 does begin filming on my BDay... it would be even cooler if Bond 24 Is The Hildebrand Rarity or A fleming title in general
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »

If they want to top Majesty's ski sequence, they're only going to do it by having Blofeld chase Bond down the alps again, but bigger and better. And I don't think that's happening here. It's going to be snowmobiles after Bond. I don't doubt it should be great.. but I'm hesitant to say we'll ever top Majesty's sequence.

And they are to build an entire convincing mountain village in Austria by a shoot date in January? It is 5 months away, but for us to only have 1 report of it is interesting. That's going to take a lot of work.

Also, for those who think it may be just a minor scene, Craig was only on the Skyfall lodge set for less than a week if I remember correctly. They just need him for some running shots, slow skiing shots, closeups, etc. Hopefully we get a great stunt team, which I have yet to be disappointed with the team thus far.

Earlier this week I reported that I was more excited for MI:5. The promise of a ski chase in the Austrian Alps and the possibility of a car chase through Rome may have swayed me, finally, back to being excited for this production. I just can't have too much faith in Mendes.

Well @JWESTBROOK, you can also top the Majesty's ski chase by doing what I have mentioned in my own topic, right here :-): http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/5596/bringing-skiing-to-new-levels-in-bond-24-bring-in-julian-carr-halvor-angvik#latest

Why was this even necessary?

Couldn't Craig film what is by far one of the simplest choreographed fist fights in all his 3 Bond movies? It's not like they were firing off real guns.

This is just nitpicking really. Today's CGI has improved so much.......that I don't give a shit. We don't live in the "Die Another Day"-era anymore. So criticism about CGI should still be there, but it's way less relevant than 12 years ago.

Also, when DID we actually start criticising that tiny bit of CGI in "Skyfall"? Yes, exactly, once entire articles appeared about the subject of CGI in "SK". We, simple humble posters on this forum, didn't see those CGI-elements ourselves.