It's Carnival Time! - The WORLD CUP FINALS 2014.

Comments

I think Australia will unravel in the second half, Holland should win comfortably, I'm saying 3-1.

• Tom Cahill what a goal. Shams about the booking that rules him out of last group game.

Also reading reports that Cristiano Ronaldo ruled out of World Cup by injury.....
  • You won't see a better goal than Tim Cahill's all tournament.
    Well I've already seen Van Persie's first goal :)
    Done with the head, in every sense of the world.
    You won't see a better goal than Tim Cahill's all tournament.
    Well I've already seen Van Persie's first goal :)
    Done with the head, in every sense of the world.

Cahill's technique was incredible. the ball came over his shoulder, onto his weaker foot, with the sun in his eyes.
  • I prefer a technique that almost no one dares to try (like diving not for a powerful header but for a soft one above the goalkeeper), to a technique that everyone is trying (and then some are successful from time to time) :)
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 479
    Another good victory for Holland, this time they showed that they can grind out a hard game, well played by the Aussies, but Holland deserved it in the end. They were better in the second half. Ideally, the Dutch will want Spain to win tonight, as it means their superior goal difference should score them 1st place, even if they lose to Chile.
    Sammm04 wrote:
    Another good victory for Holland, this time they showed that they can grind out a hard game, well played by the Aussies, but Holland deserved it in the end. They were better in the second half. Ideally, the Dutch will want Spain to win tonight, as it means their superior goal difference should score them 1st place, even if they lose to Chile.

nope, a draw between Chili and Spain would be best for the Dutch.
    SaintMark wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:

But then Chile can overtake their points if they beat them, which they definitely could (although I hope not) and the teams that finishes second will likely have to play Brazil. As much as I think any team could beat Brazil at the moment, no one will want to play them in the knockout stages.

Sammm04 wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:

But then Chile can overtake their points if they beat them, which they definitely could (although I hope not) and the teams that finishes second will likely have to play Brazil. As much as I think any team could beat Brazil at the moment, no one will want to play them in the knockout stages.

Chili has to win to escape Brasil, but I find it not improbable that Mexico ends 1st and Brasil second, and that case you let Chili win. :D
    Spain on the back foot from the beginning, this looks to be a great match.
    This should be a great game. Due to Spain's terrible goal difference, they must win tonight.
    Bye Bye Spain? ;-)
    Oh dear....
  • RC7RC7
    Spain have been nothing short of abysmal.
    As a great man once said:

"Game over, man! Game over! What the f*** are we gonna do now? What are we gonna do?"

Adiós España.
    España :-h
  • Amazing first half in the Spain / Chile game. Looks like tournament over for Spain but anything can happen in 45 minutes......
    Spain may as well not have shown up at this rate, they've simply filled up a space that could have been put to better use by another European team, like Ukraine or Sweden. The difference with Australia is they have played their hearts out and actually challenged the teams they were playing, Spain have been dreadful.
    Spain are in deep trouble, need one of the greatest comebacks assuming they make it to half time.
    Spain are surely gone now? Full credit to Chile! =D>
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 7,500
    Sammm04 wrote:
    Spain may as well not have shown up at this rate, they've simply filled up a space that could have been put to better use by another European team, like Ukraine or Sweden. The difference with Australia is they have played their hearts out and actually challenged the teams they were playing, Spain have been dreadful.

Now you are pushing it...

But something very wrong has obviously happened to Spain side. The team play and organization has completelty evapporated, and the players are all running around by themselves with no aim, in utter desperation. You would expect the most experienced side in the tournament to cope better with conceded goals, but this team surrendered almost immediately. I am almost tempted to speculate there's been some kind of disharmony in the dressing room off field, because this team looks like it has completely deterioated.
    Watching Spain right now is akin to watching a recovering alcoholic, who despite cleaning up his act over the past 6 years has spectacularly fallen off the wagon.
    All good things come to an end!
  • RC7RC7
    Watching Spain right now is akin to watching a recovering alcoholic, who despite cleaning up his act over the past 6 years has spectacularly fallen off the wagon.

I'd say more like a band who've made a couple of seminal albums and think they're now so good they can pack in the hard work and coast by, farting into a kazoo on loop.
    In some ways, it's slightly sad. This is the last time we will see this truly great team play in the form with which it won everything possible.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 7,500
    The defending champions have all failed misserably in modern World Cup history. France failed to score in 2002, Brazil had no life in 2006, Italy failed to qualify from the easiest group in 2010... But this might turn out to be the worst collaps yet...

Maybe tha problem is that all of them have used the same winning formula that initially won them the trophy. Modern football is aliways evolving and one needs to adapt, not necessarily stylistic but at least in personal. Del Bosque could have shaken up things more, but basically he stuck with the same platers that won in 2010.
    It's the 5th time the defending champions have gone out at the group stages. Definitely seems to be a curse. Of course, being English, I'd just love to have that opportunity to be defending champions. ;-)
  • RC7RC7
    It's the 5th time the defending champions have gone out at the group stages. Definitely seems to be a curse. Of course, being English, I'd just love to have that opportunity to be defending champions. ;-)

While, correct me if I'm wrong, it's the first time a defending champion has been the first team to be eliminated from the tournament?
  • Australia has been eliminated simultaneously :)
    Spain Australia is going to be quite weird.
    Maybe tha problem is that all of them have used the same winning formula that initially won them the trophy. Modern football is aliways evolving and one needs to adapt, not necessarily stylistic but at least in personal. Del Bosque could have shaken up things more, but basically he stuck with the same platers that won in 2010.
This discussion has been closed.