Controversial opinions about anything

Comments

Creasy47 wrote:
    jobo wrote:
    I feel so sorry for you guys, having no idea what you're missing!

They have an idea, that's why they aren't missing out on it. But, we've trashed so many sports, so which one are you talking about?

Most of them in general! Football in particular! ;)
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 14,855
    jobo wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    jobo wrote:

They have an idea, that's why they aren't missing out on it. But, we've trashed so many sports, so which one are you talking about?

I wish I could miss it. It is everywhere. Thankfully I found some football free pubs in my town.

Here is a way to make my disdain from football very controversial. I tried it on Facebook: Football is also called soccer because it sucks.
  • jobo wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    jobo wrote:

Which one? Liking or not liking sports is nothing to get worked up about, really. It's a fun way to kill a few hours if you're a fan, but if you don't get anything out of it, there's nothing to do really. I can get at least a little into most sports just sitting and watching, although it varies for each one.

Now, team rivalries? If you don't get worked up over those, you're doing something wrong.
    jobo wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    jobo wrote:

Which one? Liking or not liking sports is nothing to get worked up about, really. It's a fun way to kill a few hours if you're a fan, but if you don't get anything out of it, there's nothing to do really. I can get at least a little into most sports just sitting and watching, although it varies for each one.

Now, team rivalries? If you don't get worked up over those, you're doing something wrong.

There's only one football. Needless to say...

And football is about far more than just "killing a few hours", believe me! ;)
    Not "controversial" here in the States, but...

Napoleon was not really the "bad guy" of the Napoleonic Wars.

Britain was.
    CraterGuns wrote:
    Not "controversial" here in the States, but...

Napoleon was not really the "bad guy" of the Napoleonic Wars.

Britain was.

Not controversial in France either. Or in many places in Europe. And even in the UK Napoleon had and has some admirers. Anthony Burgess among others.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Not controversial with me, either.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 1,405
    This is one I tell my friends and co-worker often:

All my life I've deal with people, I've been a disc-jockey, I've coach baseball teams and hockey teams, and my regular job has me dealing with the public every single day.

From experience, I can honestly say that more than 50% of human beings aren't reasonable, you can't argue intelligently with more than 50% of human beings.
    More than 50% of the people I've dealt with were:

-not intelligent enough to understand

or

-had some kind of mental disorder they didn't know about

or

-could not process properly what was being said to them or could not articulate correctly what they wanted to say.

I can't pinpoint the average at 60%, 70% or 80%, but it's obviously more than 50%.

I've come to beleive that "normal" people, normal being a balanced, reasonnable et intelligent person, comes to less than 50% of the population.

My wife who works in a different field than I agrees. We are surronded by so many lazy, idiot and indifferent persons that we wonder how it is that society actually "works"...

Anyone else here came to the same conclusion?
    Definitely. I would say 80 per cent, but that makes them the "normal" ones.
    Definitely. I would say 80 per cent, but that makes them the "normal" ones.

I sadly agree with your conclusion.
    And as for how society can work, it does not.

Or it does, depending on who you ask.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.

All my life I've deal with people, I've been a disc-jockey, I've coach baseball teams and hockey teams, and my regular job has me dealing with the public every single day.

From experience, I can honestly say that more than 50% of human beings aren't reasonable, you can't argue intelligently with more than 50% of human beings.

or

-had some kind of mental disorder there didn't know about

or

-could not process properly what was being said to them or could not articulate correctly what they wanted to say.

I can't pinpoint the average at 60%, 70% or 80%, but it's obviously more than 50%.

I've come to beleive that "normal" people, normal being a balanced, reasonnable et intelligent person, comes to less than 50% of the population.

My wife who works in a different field than I agrees. We are surronded by so many lazy, idiot and indifferent persons that we wonder how it is that society actually "works"...

The older I get the more I see of life
    One sad fact that I face is that people to day don't know how to behave at all well
    Manners are in fact to a large part of the population no more than big houses in the country
    I want so I shall have is becoming the norm
    It does not matter to these people that they can't afford it or don't need it they want it and so by any means they end up getting what they want.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 1,405
    Mrcoggins wrote:

or

-had some kind of mental disorder there didn't know about

or

The older I get the more I see of life
    One sad fact that I face is that people to day don't know how to behave at all well
    Manners are in fact to a large part of the population no more than big houses in the country
    I want so I shall have is becoming the norm
    It does not matter to these people that they can't afford it or don't need it they want it and so by any means they end up getting what they want.

So true, what do you really need in life to be happy?
    I'm not a millionnaire by any means but I've got more than enough money to travel twice a year and feed my 3 kids. People in general gets easily upset with trivial matters...

Health is the most important thing in life, hands down. You're sick, your son, your daughter is sick, everything else looses value.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    I could not agree more JBF
  • Ludovico wrote:
    Ok, so there's plenty of conventional, unimaginative blockbusters. And that makes football any good... because? I fail to see how it works here.

Here in this forum lots of boring blockbusters that make lots of money are being discussed, and making lots of money seems like an excuse for being boring. It's funny then to read football criticized here with the opposite way of thinking.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Regarding the comparative work of a professional footballer and a professional actor, I know which I one I find more admirable. And more challenging.

See, you see nothing indecent in an actor earning more than a whole football team, so all the talk about the money is not really relevant. You don't like football because it's football, that's simple as that, why trying so hard to find other reasons to try to "prove" it's right ? :)

Daniel Craig earns more than a football team and is a football fan by the way :)

I do not like football because it is boring as hell. Simple as that.
  • Football players are often criticized for earning too much money. And sometimes for football being boring.

Some actors earn more than some whole football teams, sometimes for playing in boring formulaic blockbuters. They are paid far less for movies that take you out of your zone of comfort...

But don't forget some Formula 1 drivers earn more than a whole cast of some blockbusters.

And yet Formula 1 is super boring for a lot of people (including me) :)
    I can enjoy a decent game of football as much as the next person , the problem I have is with the game itself , it needs dragging kicking and screaming into the 21st century ,goal line technology and video playback are a must now , players are actively cheating and trying to deceive the ref all the time and get away with it ,rolling round on the floor like they've been shot in the face after the merest of touches , only to jump up and carry on 2 seconds later ,hoping to get an opponent sent off ,its disgraceful.
    And what is it about football that turns people in to raving nutcases ,fans don't have to be segregated at Wimbledon, or rugby matches ,or the Olympics or golf or cricket or formula 1 .Is there any other sport where this is done?
    What did it for me was seeing 9 year old kids in the crowd gesticulating at the referee implying that he played with himself (if you get my meaning ).
    I would never allow a member of my family within 2 miles of a football ground on match day.
    OK , rant over now , What nice weather we re having!
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ok, so there's plenty of conventional, unimaginative blockbusters. And that makes football any good... because? I fail to see how it works here.

Here in this forum lots of boring blockbusters that make lots of money are being discussed, and making lots of money seems like an excuse for being boring. It's funny then to read football criticized here with the opposite way of thinking.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Regarding the comparative work of a professional footballer and a professional actor, I know which I one I find more admirable. And more challenging.

See, you see nothing indecent in an actor earning more than a whole football team, so all the talk about the money is not really relevant. You don't like football because it's football, that's simple as that, why trying so hard to find other reasons to try to "prove" it's right ? :)

Daniel Craig earns more than a football team and is a football fan by the way :)

So if Daniel Craig loves haggis or gammon steak I should have some for dinner too? I don't see nothing indecent about an actor earning loads of money, you are right. Not that there are so many actors who earn indecent amounts of money to begin with, but there you go, kudos for those who do. I find acting a far more challenging and thankless discipline. Daniel Craig earns more than a football team and he's worth far more than a football team IMO.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 2,015
    Ludovico wrote:
    So if Daniel Craig loves haggis or gammon steak I should have some for dinner too?

Nope, there's room for personal taste. Now this is a controversial opinion here sometimes :)
    Ludovico wrote:
    I don't see nothing indecent about an actor earning loads of money, you are right.

Do you know that Sophie Marceau was paid less in TWINE than in most French movies ? Her famous agent, Dominique Besnehard, said he couldn't believe the sum Eon proposed.

We're in a country where the topic of the money earnt by the actors was discussed a bit, but in Hollywood I think it's quite taboo, even if they say that USA is the country where you can speak freely about the money.

To all those who think there's really nothing indecent, well I'll say that I think that the agent of Daniel Craig is probably earning more than most of the cast. The agent. I'm not even talking about Daniel Craig himself. And that the VFX artists at the end of the production chain are close to working for minimal hourly wages. And yet the blockbusters fans come to see the VFX, no ? :)

And it has something to do with football because...?
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 2,015
    The fact sport is much more criticized than movies about being big money business is quite on topic here as the opposite is quite controversial IMO : and yet, blockbuster business is based on tax-cuts. Lots of tax-cuts made in the sake of cultural promotion. It would be a scandal if a sport team was helped that way. VFX studios close in a few weeks because the producers want to benefit from some tax cuts that were created in another country for some years, for instance.

Even when the Avengers line-up came at the Oscar ceremony, it was to joke about the VFX makers, as if a movie about all of them in a kitchen drama would have won more than a billion too... When the VFX winner was on stage on that same ceremony, his mike was cut off far earlier than for other winners. It's an annoying stone in the shoe of cinema stars... But they're lucky, people discuss more about the football players.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    VFX no longer make or break a movie, most of it is pretty competent. Stars DO drag in people though. Harsh reality...
  • Well to detect movies that are made to benefit from tax-cuts, super cheap VFX are a good hint, but usually they go with drama (in some countries, some producers even "must" make some movies to continue to benefit from some tax-cuts, and don't care about earning money with these movies).

As for VFX no longer making or breaking a movie, some say it's still very important for the Chinese market, which is bigger and bigger. Hollywood stars there are less powerful. They say only Tom Cruise has some star power there. I think we'll see in 10 years Hollywood stars learning some Mandarin to try to be very popular there. Speaking Mandarin even for a few days of promo could be a carreer change...
    Speaking Mandarin even for a few days of promo could be a carreer change...
    I guess they must love Serenity then....
    :))
  • Native speakers say they couldn't understand them actually :) I really think mastering some words of the tongue could be enough to make one actor apart of the crowd. But, right now, the actor would be criticized by the mainstream for being too friendly with the Chinese government I think or things like that. Let's see what happens in 10 years when the largest box office money is there.
    The fact sport is much more criticized than movies about being big money business is quite on topic here as the opposite is quite controversial IMO : and yet, blockbuster business is based on tax-cuts. Lots of tax-cuts made in the sake of cultural promotion. It would be a scandal if a sport team was helped that way. VFX studios close in a few weeks because the producers want to benefit from some tax cuts that were created in another country for some years, for instance.

Even when the Avengers line-up came at the Oscar ceremony, it was to joke about the VFX makers, as if a movie about all of them in a kitchen drama would have won more than a billion too... When the VFX winner was on stage on that same ceremony, his mike was cut off far earlier than for other winners. It's an annoying stone in the shoe of cinema stars... But they're lucky, people discuss more about the football players.

So... If I keep on finding football boring Hollywood will carry on being a cynical money machine? Ok. I still find the sport lame. And I still go to football free pubs. Maybe I should ask the landlords what they think about Hollywood blockbusters and stars salaries. Maybe they don't know and that's why they don't put football on. Then again, I love the football free pubs as they are because I find football boring.
  • Ludovico wrote:
    So... If I keep on finding football boring Hollywood will carry on being a cynical money machine?

The world does not turn around you even though you're French ;)

I was just commenting how some needs to prove the fact that football is stupid is a "fact", while it's obviously a taste. And the usual "too much money business" is very weird to read here on a very blockbuster friendly forum, blokbusters being an industry where some people just shaking hands (like actors' agent, or legal property lawyers) are earning incredible amount of money for "not much".

We will never get rid of football, so enjoy it those who can. No big deal.
    New controversial opinion: Dark Angel & Firefly are the two best SF series of the 21st Century.