Controversial opinions about anything

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited May 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Exactly, Creasy47 and chrisisall.
    Look at the casting of Michael Keaton in the first Batman; that was a surprise and a very different choice. And it turned out great. Keaton can act. Ledger could act.

Christmas is just well ... like the glittery candy at Christmas, but Richards is not a good actress.

Hugh Grant - I love him still, really enjoy him. But not ever as Bond.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    *shudders* I can confidently say I would've been done with the Bond series had Hugh Grant been cast as Bond. I wouldn't even give that film a shot.

And see, outside-the-box thinking got us Craig, who is phenomenal in the role. It's nice to spice it up and change up casting every now and then instead of casting the same person in the same kind of role in every different film out there.

I guess bad casting ideas are often either too much inside the box, or based on misconceptions. Like when some people thought Robbie Williams could play Bond. However ridiculous, I have heard people defending it. Hence my original opinion: however bad a casting idea may be, someone will defend it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    And of course, you have the opposite side of that coin, where sometimes no matter how fantastic a casting idea is, you'll have the pessimists who want to shoot the idea down just to against the norm.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Christmas is just well ... like the glittery candy at Christmas, but Richards is not a good actress.
    Well Will Smith is a good actor but some fool cast him as James West in Wild Wild West....
    What can you do?
    Creasy47 wrote:
    And of course, you have the opposite side of that coin, where sometimes no matter how fantastic a casting idea is, you'll have the pessimists who want to shoot the idea down just to against the norm.

After the fact it is even worse.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Well Will Smith is a good actor but some fool cast him as James West in Wild Wild West....
    What can you do?

I was never aware of the TV show when I saw the film. It was never shown here in the UK when I was young. But the film was utter garbage regardless of casting controversies.
    the film was utter garbage regardless of casting controversies.
    Well...yeah. I guess it was a lose/lose then.
    :))
    The last thing I saw Will Smith in that I liked was 'The Pursuit of Happiness.' Everything else was absolute trash, I believe.
    I thought I, Robot was one of the best things he was ever in.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Wild West was ridiculous. And also starred an actor I really admire: Kevin Kline.
    I think I've truly liked roughly three of Smith's last fifteen movies.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I think I've truly liked roughly three of Smith's last fifteen movies.
    Name them.
    'Bad Boys 2,' 'The Pursuit of Happiness,' and 'I Am Legend.' The others I either didn't care for, didn't bother watching because they looked terrible ('After Earth'), or haven't gotten around to watching ('Ali').
    Creasy47 wrote:
    'I Am Legend.'
    Y'know, I almost liked that one, but they screwed the source material.
    Plus Chuck Heston's Omega Man covered it all before.
    You didn't like I, Robot @Creasy47?
    I think 'I Am Legend' is much better when you watch it with the alternate ending instead. The theatrical ending is terrible and it fails on so many different aspects. Not only does it not make sense, but it pretty much shits on the entire point of the film.

I haven't seen 'I, Robot' in a loooong time. I thought I remember it being pretty good, but I've seen so many movies that I just constantly forget what I do and don't like. I'll have to watch it again soon.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I think 'I Am Legend' is much better when you watch it with the alternate ending instead.
    Is there a version with the alternate ending placed into the actual movie?
    I also thought that was a much better ending, and also made it markedly different from Omega Man in tone. But my DVD had the alternate ending only as a deleted scene. :-<
    You can play the blu-ray version with the alternate ending attached. I've yet to do it, but I made damn sure you could do so before buying it. It's pretty cheap, too. Hell, even if it didn't, I would just stop it right towards the end and then watch the alternate ending from the Special Features.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 4,813
    I Am Legend was a perfect example of bad CGI. Have you seen the test-shots from the 'making of' videos on YouTube? There was a point when they were planning to use real actors as the infected; creepy contortionist actors who could move unnaturally, and they were horrifying!

For comparison, look at the creatures in 'The Decent'. Similar enough to the dudes in I Am Legend- and those damn guys gave me nightmares!

See this is scary:

descent4.jpg

and THIS looks like a cartoon:

i-am-legend-alt-ending.jpg
    Yeah, the humanoid creatures from 'The Descent' were very well done and still scare me every time I watch the film. I don't know if you all have heard of 'Legion,' but that movie used some contortionist actors to move in really bizarre, freaky ways, and it was well done.
    edited May 2014 Posts: 17,698
    Creasy47 wrote:
    You can play the blu-ray version with the alternate ending attached. I've yet to do it, but I made damn sure you could do so before buying it. It's pretty cheap, too.
    Yep, six bucks on eBay, I ordered it. Thanks man, now I can toss my copy of Omega Man! :))

The animated 'infected' bothered me to no end when I first watched it, but not as much as the s**t ending they originally gave it. This is more about STORY to me than actual execution.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Activists need to leave fast food alone.
    Murdock wrote:
    You think zombies want deep fried or instant brains?
    Sometimes you need what's fresh from the skull.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    You think zombies want deep fried or instant brains?
    Sometimes you need what's fresh from the skull.

Can't people enjoy both by their own choice? Some days I make my own garden grown salsa, the next day I want something fast and easy. We don't need to be babied for our "benefit."
    edited May 2014 Posts: 40,594
    chrisisall wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    You can play the blu-ray version with the alternate ending attached. I've yet to do it, but I made damn sure you could do so before buying it. It's pretty cheap, too.
    Yep, six bucks on eBay, I ordered it. Thanks man, now I can toss my copy of Omega Man! :))

The animated 'infected' bothered me to no end when I first watched it, but not as much as the s**t ending they originally gave it. This is more about STORY to me than actual execution.

You're very welcome! Let me know how it works out for you. Can't beat a good, cheap film. It's why I have such a problem when it comes to ordering movies. Then I just realize some of them weren't worth it, and I trade a few in to pay off a brand new upcoming film I do want. It's a vicious, sad cycle.
    edited May 2014 Posts: 17,698
    Murdock wrote:
    We don't need to be babied for our "benefit."
    Seriously, I mostly agree, but we should also have straight-up poisons taken out of our food chain. Trans-fats are like the slow venom of fast food, it's better to smoke & drink than to eat that felgercarb. Just fry with canola or peanut oil. Also, 'pink slime' (ammonia soaked dog food-quality meat scraps turned into fast food burgers) & high fructose corn syrup (corn solids/corn sugar/whatever they call it now) are nearly as bad. Hey man, I love me my fries & fillet-O-fish, but they need to dial down the cheap toxic profit just a few notches in certain companies.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    We don't need to be babied for our "benefit."
    Seriously, I mostly agree, but we should also have straight-up poisons taken out of our food chain. Trans-fats are like the slow venom of fast food, it's better to smoke & drink than to eat that felgercarb. Just fry with canola or peanut oil. Also, 'pink slime' (ammonia soaked dog food-quality meat scraps turned into fast food burgers) & high fructose corn syrup (corn solids/corn sugar/whatever they call it now) are nearly as bad. Hey man, I love me my fries & fillet-O-fish, but they need to dial down the cheap toxic profit just a few notches in certain companies.

I agree with you about the toxic stuff. They need to remove the bad ingredients. Not the food itself.
    Murdock wrote:
    I agree with you about the toxic stuff. They need to remove the bad ingredients. Not the food itself.

Better Ingredients. Better Pizza.
    Murdock wrote:

Better Ingredients. Better Pizza.

Papa Murdock's. ;)
    I love good pizza. Hell, I love bad pizza.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Sorry for derailing the thread yesterday. I am itching to reply, but realize more talk about chili would be too much for some.