Controversial opinions about anything

Comments

• edited May 2014 Posts: 2,782
    That all the world's religion's were borne out of Sumerian creation beliefs and we were genetically created by the anunaki who were the original Masons, who were themselves the servants of the Serpent Queens; the SSS-TA. And that is where the term Satan originates from.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    So, Conan roots-?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm going to say something pretty controversial: I hate soccer. I'm sorry, I can't stand it! I'm perfectly fine with people celebrating their love for something - hey, I wouldn't be on this forum if I wasn't hardcore into something - but this world cup craze is just ridiculous IMO. These next couple of weeks I'll be hiding myself, running away from people who want to chatter me up about soccer as if I care. Well I don't. I find my neighbour's cat more fascinating when she barks than the results of a soccer match between two countries I haven't even heard of.
    As a film freak, I'm not entirely unsympathetic; I just don't see myself exaggerating like this. I'm not going to cry like a baby if Bond 24 should only make 120 million at the BO. I'm not going to punch someone in the face when he or she says something negative about Dalton. I'm not even going to get worked up over it. I won't paint my face in 007 logo's and somehow I don't see how spending time with my hobby is synonymous with drinking gallons of beer.
    Even then, if you really are into this and you study the soccer players, teams and matches carefully, I respect you for it. We all have a hobby. But what's with all those people who don't know the first thing about soccer, yet so desperately try to be part of it by pretending to be experts? Some of them formulate opinions that would make a banana feel smart. They prognosticate like it's an exact science: it's going to end up 2 - 0 for this and this and ... and this reason - and it goes on like this for hours! Then, when the game ends on 1 - 4, some more crazy bull gets pulled to explain that. People love the team of their home country, even if a) they hate their country for almost every other reason and b) most of the players in the team come from the other side world anyway.
    Still, I'm fine with almost all of this but please, leave me out of it. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't care one second about soccer. Drop all you want to say about soccer in the sports pages but keep it off the front page of my news paper. I expect news, i.e. things that matter on the front page. Game results are not more important than political, environmental, financial, ... news. Also, chant all you like in pubs, stadions and at home. Just don't scream your longs out with silly soccer chants while I'm riding my train to work, in the morning, hardly awake, my mind set on a day of teaching. Have fun, by all means do, but let me sleep at night and keep things decent when you walk by my house.
    Soccer, I hate it. And for that, you don't get to disrespect me. But I know this whole thing is pretty controversial.
    It's not called SOCCER! ~X( ;-)
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 11,189
    What I don't get is that to be obsessed with Football is fine, but to be obsessed with anything else is weird.
    @DarthDimi I do recognize your dislike for football, I am currently watching the WC field hockey taking place in the Netherlands and I see a clean sport that actually gets improved after every major event. The fans are brilliant, the referees do a great job (unless you are Belgian, than less so) and the overall game is exciting, fast and powerful. And the women teams are filled with hardworking athletes that manage to look good and very strong. The men play a very passionate and fast and powerful game. But when it gets to the monetary aspect they do not get the money sports like Football, American Football, tennis, golf and such get paid. A source of annoyance.

I find the monetary strain that football and their fans have on a local level way too much. We as tax paying individuals pay a lot of money for the upkeep of football club, the other sports just get less. The moronic fans of the game of football really should foot the bill in security and police presence instead of the general citizen. Which would lead to a more severe approach of said fans instead of clubs claiming they cannot be blamed, which is poppycock in my humble opinion.

NOT controversial at all.

And I agree with WillyGalore it is called football over most of the world.

I wanted to address what I perceive to be the majority of our forum members. ;-)

We call it football too. ;-)

DarthDimi wrote:

I wanted to address what I perceive to be the majority of our forum members. ;-)

For once the perceived majority of the forum members can go and f......... themselves simply because their football version is closer to rugby and "ball" is handled extensively by their hands. :D
    And as kickers they hire generally football players of the correct persuasion.

And do not forget the World Championship Football is the largest watched televised sport event after the Olympics world wide.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I'm going to say something pretty controversial: I hate soccer.
    Don't feel bad- I don't like sports!
    :O
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I'm going to say something pretty controversial: I hate soccer.
    Don't feel bad- I don't like sports!
    :O

As in physical exercise or what? :\">

define sports?
    Well not exercise- I like that.

But baseball, basketball, etc- I just never had an interest in any of it. I'm a weirdo
    Well not exercise- I like that.

But baseball, basketball, etc- I just never had an interest in any of it. I'm a weirdo

You're not, @Master_Dahark. As I kid I just couldn't understand what fascinated people so much about other people on a bike or kicking a ball around or swimming back and forth between twee sides of a pool or skiing down a cliff or ... Boring as hell! And don't know those people and I'm not the one doing the sports so why I would spend hours and hours watching them go through the same seemingly endless routine, I wouldn't know. My heroes were (and still are) film characters. ;-)

I find football/soccer boring and very Eurotrash.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited June 2014 Posts: 14,101
    I don't follow sports these days- but I can see the appeal, as many years ago I was into basketball, rugby league and cricket, to a degree. My most proud moments of participating in sports would have to be: placing third in the 100m sprint (13.? seconds) on high school sports day; learning how to spin bowl a cricket ball on my own; and shooting 11 hoops in a row while playing 'around the world' basketball before school started. So I can definitely see the appeal in sport, but that line people cross into becoming too obsessive a fanatic truly baffles me.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I'm going to say something pretty controversial: I hate soccer. I'm sorry, I can't stand it! I'm perfectly fine with people celebrating their love for something - hey, I wouldn't be on this forum if I wasn't hardcore into something - but this world cup craze is just ridiculous IMO. These next couple of weeks I'll be hiding myself, running away from people who want to chatter me up about soccer as if I care. Well I don't. I find my neighbour's cat more fascinating when she barks than the results of a soccer match between two countries I haven't even heard of.
    As a film freak, I'm not entirely unsympathetic; I just don't see myself exaggerating like this. I'm not going to cry like a baby if Bond 24 should only make 120 million at the BO. I'm not going to punch someone in the face when he or she says something negative about Dalton. I'm not even going to get worked up over it. I won't paint my face in 007 logo's and somehow I don't see how spending time with my hobby is synonymous with drinking gallons of beer.
    Even then, if you really are into this and you study the soccer players, teams and matches carefully, I respect you for it. We all have a hobby. But what's with all those people who don't know the first thing about soccer, yet so desperately try to be part of it by pretending to be experts? Some of them formulate opinions that would make a banana feel smart. They prognosticate like it's an exact science: it's going to end up 2 - 0 for this and this and ... and this reason - and it goes on like this for hours! Then, when the game ends on 1 - 4, some more crazy bull gets pulled to explain that. People love the team of their home country, even if a) they hate their country for almost every other reason and b) most of the players in the team come from the other side world anyway.
    Still, I'm fine with almost all of this but please, leave me out of it. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't care one second about soccer. Drop all you want to say about soccer in the sports pages but keep it off the front page of my news paper. I expect news, i.e. things that matter on the front page. Game results are not more important than political, environmental, financial, ... news. Also, chant all you like in pubs, stadions and at home. Just don't scream your longs out with silly soccer chants while I'm riding my train to work, in the morning, hardly awake, my mind set on a day of teaching. Have fun, by all means do, but let me sleep at night and keep things decent when you walk by my house.
    Soccer, I hate it. And for that, you don't get to disrespect me. But I know this whole thing is pretty controversial.
    Darnit you express it better than I do.

Oh and there's a football free pub in my town.
    SaintMark wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

For once the perceived majority of the forum members can go and f......... themselves simply because their football version is closer to rugby and "ball" is handled extensively by their hands. :D
    And as kickers they hire generally football players of the correct persuasion.

And do not forget the World Championship Football is the largest watched televised sport event after the Olympics world wide.

^:)^
    Ludovico wrote:
    I find football/soccer boring and very Eurotrash.

tell them that in South America.

It's trash there too.
    Ludovico wrote:
    It's trash there too.

how about the popularity in the US? In Africa, In Asia?

It seems not to be limited to one continent but played on a rather large scale worldwide.

Except in Qatar. ;)

Soccer/football is equal opportunity, universal trash. Except in Qatar. I can something can only sink so low.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    That all the world's religion's were borne out of Sumerian creation beliefs and we were genetically created by the anunaki who were the original Masons, who were themselves the servants of the Serpent Queens; the SSS-TA. And that is where the term Satan originates from.
    Although not 100 percent accurate, you are onto the truth.

As for football, what is more boring than that? Except some other sports.
  • Funny, IMO, to read so many anti football comments in a forum where it seems cinema = blockbusters :) There's more emotion in any average football match than in some of the "best" Hollywood calibrated products, IMO.
    Because football is not calibrated? And sure, there's plenty of emotion. I can't say it is very deep, but it is a very emotional sport.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    How many football games have been played now? I have seen a few and feel that I do not miss a thing if I never see another. Just do reruns of some old ones, no one would notice the difference.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I share your dislike for Football (or Soccer), Dimi. What rustles my jimmies, is how tv schedules are shifted around when it's on tv. Why, when there are dedicated sports channels?
    I share your dislike for Football (or Soccer), Dimi. What rustles my jimmies, is how tv schedules are shifted around when it's on tv. Why, when there are dedicated sports channels?

There aren't any dedicated sports channels on free-to-air TV in the UK.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2014 Posts: 13,912

Not free view, no. I would still put Football into Room 101, right after Michael Grade (because he's made of rubber, and he wobbles).

Not free view, no. I would still put Football into Room 101, right after Michael Grade (because he's made of rubber, and he wobbles).

Nothing to do with his decision to cancel Doctor Who all those years ago? ;-)

Nothing to do with his decision to cancel Doctor Who all those years ago? ;-)

Not at all, no...

That has about as much truth as Grade cancelling the show because of the production values, and not for his own personal grievance with Colin Baker.
    Correct, Major. I must suffer the same fate here. What's even worse, after this whole month of football madness, there's another couple of weeks of bicycle madness, when dozens of doped up cyclists basically drive around the country during a whole afternoon and somewhere in the final ten seconds launch themselves towards the finish, meanwhile trying to avoid crazy fans who are frantically waving flags and body parts at them. Another ridiculous sport, that. I still can't believe that people remain interested in it when nearly every single world champion of the last twenty years has either been found guilty of doing dope or has died from 'mysterious' and 'unexpected' heart attacks and such. TV programming is practically dominated by all kinds of shows dedicated to these Summer sports.

But okay, I will confess something. I have for years followed professional snooker. I know, some don't think of snooker as a physical sport. I'm fine with that. But at least in snooker I can see a clear thought process come to fruition. With geometrical precision, obeying every law of Newtonian physics, a table is cleared by means of patient calculation. I understand that this is in turn what others find boring. It's not the type of thing where the inner beast awakens to beat up a full stadium of hooligans and normal people. Honestly, after the 1985 Heysel Stadium disaster, where loads of nitwits massacred dozens of people, I would have thought that this level of aggression might have gone cold. But no, football keeps driving people to primitive alcohol-induced madness. My own dad used to shout at the TV when a ball hit the goal, until my mother, with a little stimulation from me, told him which kind of ball sports he was going to do without if this nonsensical shouting didn't stop. ;-)