Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I did watch some gameplay of the first two but I don't think I could get along with the gameplay mechanics. We can just hope they will do an HD remake.

An HD remake isn't necessarily going to alter the gameplay mechanics. You don't need amazing graphics to have a good game. I went back and played MP2 a few weeks ago, and I have to say, I haven't had that much fun with a game in a long, long time, and that's after playing such big, AAA 360 titles.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, play the first one. It's fantastic. Then, if you enjoy it, buy the second one off the PSN Store, if it has it. I know the 360 store has both, not sure about PSN.
  • I know, but it can, I said HD remake, not just an HD port. Think about the upcoming Fable Anniversary that has Fable 2 features in it. I like the idea the one guy who posted here about having MP3 mechanics and the story be the originals. That sounds really appealing.
    I know, but it can, I said HD remake, not just an HD port. Think about the upcoming Fable Anniversary that has Fable 2 features in it. I like the idea the one guy who posted here about having MP3 mechanics and the story be the originals. That sounds really appealing.

I had no idea that the 'Fable Anniversary' was going to incorporate features from the sequel. That's really cool. I had plans to buy it, but now? Definitely. As for even the gameplay in MP1 and 2, though, I thought it was fantastic. I didn't really care for the MP3 mechanics, just felt way too run and gun. I would just blew through the enemies in sections without a care in the world, but with MP2, I would actually save in certain sections and kill a group of enemies in so many different ways because of how entertaining it was.
    Time Crisis on the PS1.

Still love this after all these years. Shame I no longer have a G-Con45 but it works well with a mouse. Incredibly cheesy dialogue and ham acting of the finest calibre.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I know, but it can, I said HD remake, not just an HD port. Think about the upcoming Fable Anniversary that has Fable 2 features in it. I like the idea the one guy who posted here about having MP3 mechanics and the story be the originals. That sounds really appealing.

Most of Max Payne 3's mechanics were simply the same ones as Max Payne 1 & 2. The biggest differences between them were the cutscenes (Max Payne 1 & 2 used graphic novel cutscenes, which set the mood better) and the weapon selection mechanics (Max Payne 1 & 2 allowed you to do that one thing I love about old games: carry every weapon at one time; though, sadly, you couldn't dual wield two different weapons).
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'm a few hours into The Last of Us (started it yesterday evening), and I'm really enjoying it. The characters, dialogue and atmosphere are strong in classic Naughty Dog style, and I love the survival and combat elements. A hell of a game all around.
    I'm a few hours into The Last of Us (started it yesterday evening), and I'm really enjoying it. The characters, dialogue and atmosphere are strong in classic Naughty Dog style, and I love the survival and combat elements. A hell of a game all around.

You're in for a real treat. Just remember to pick your jaw up off the floor once you've finished ;-)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2014 Posts: 28,694
    I just finished The Last of Us but minutes ago. One hell of a game, I must say, that makes you feel a whole spectrum of emotions. The gameplay, story, voice acting and everything else was top notch, but I'm not surprised considering that it's Naughty Dog. After you finish the game, the choices of the characters you have played for the entire game's length truly stay with you, and the story makes you question just what you would be driven to do to survive in a world struck with a pandemic.

My thoughts on the last bit of the game (obvious spoilers ahead):
    I knew all the game was leading up to getting Ellie to the Fireflies at the hospital, but didn't know she'd have to die for a cure to be found. As Joel escaped and shot his way through the hospital to save Ellie's life, in effect choosing her well being over the rest of humanity, I have to say I was quite divisive. Was Joel acting like a brutal, selfish monster, or a caring and sacrificing protector, giving anything to save someone he cared about? This divide, the moral ambiguity of Joel's decision to interrupt the Fireflies' plot is the most compelling part of the game for me, and one I find myself questioning as well.

What would I have done in the same situation? Would I walk away, or give everything to save Ellie if given the chance? If I was Joel, I think I'd act just like he did. The man had lost nearly everyone close to him, primarily his own blood daughter since the pandemic began, and was driven to do some brutal and sacrificing things to survive. Then his paths had crossed with Ellie, the one person who grew on him and filled the void left by his daughter Sarah's passing and he was suddenly faced with this difficult choice: her life, or humankind?

We spend the whole game with Ellie, a girl who holds the pressures of the world on her shoulders, the one chance for a cure in a population full of nothing but survivors or infected. Despite that responsibility she bears, she has that childlike wonder, that appreciation of nature and other life (like giraffes), and shows unbelievable strength to survive when pushed to the very brinks of her limits. You begin to fall in love with this girl just as Joel begins to, and also become prepared to kill anyone in your way to save her life. Sure, the Fireflies had a mission to protect mankind and find a cure through Ellie, but what if that's not what she wanted? Where's her say in the matter? Ellie had no idea that she was being used and sacrificed, unable to make the decision herself, to share whether she wanted to go under the knife to save mankind.

As the game ended, we had two figures, Joel and Marlene at crossroads. Both had cared for Ellie, but while Joel would give anything to save her, Marlene was prepared to give Ellie up to find a cure, giving one life for a thousand. I don't know if Joel was right to take Ellie away and kill Marlene, and I don't know if Marlene was right to let the operation commence, nearly ending Elllie's life, but that's the beauty of the game's storytelling. I was often overcome by the story, by the morals that it questioned in me, and the many gasps I felt as some of the most horrific and beautiful things unfolded before me, respectively.

I think the ending reflects the relativity of morals and the lack of absolutes in this crazy world of ours. As Joel ran through the hospital with Ellie in his arms, I was overtaken by the poignancy of the moment, because while the Fireflies would've seen him as nothing more than a selfish bastard taking humanity's last chance with him, Joel (and myself) sees his actions as those of a father, protecting the person who had grown to be like a daughter to him. While it is true that the difficult decision he makes results in the entire journey he made to get Ellie to the Fireflies being all for nil, his choice reflects just how far we would all go for the ones we love, even if that means lying to protect them and putting their interests before those of ourselves and even the world.

It's efforts like this that show just how far video games can go beyond entertaining time-killers to moving, challenging pieces of art that make you look at yourself in a new light and question your own moral compass. The Last of Us is a triumph, and I thank all those on this forum who drove me to play it. I'm glad I did.
    @0Brady
    Did you know David was voiced by Nolan North? And how did you react to the giraffes?
    Batman Arkham City, I've been kind of stagnated with games lately due to poor internet availability and because DRM has become more important than the games themselves.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Doom 3 BFG Editon with a quick stop off at GoldenEye 007 Reloaded (for a Trophy or two).
  • I got The Last of Us and Arkham Origins for Christmas. Very out of character for me to have waited this long to get the Batman game, lol. I also got a Gamestop giftcard so I picked up Portal 2.

As mentioned by other users, The Last of Us is truly a wonderful experience in every way. My girlfriend actually asks me to play it just so she can watch! I'm not too far into it; I just met Bill in that boobie-trap filled town. But I keep hearing the ending will make your jaw drop

Arkham Origins is great so far- especially after beating Deathstroke... there was alot of cussing coming from yours truly. I really like the tone of this game too- how Batman is still totally mysterious to the police and some people don't even believe he exists yet.

Portal 2 is the older game of the bunch but it's insanely addicting. I had the first Portal game on that 'Orange Box' game that included it with Half-Life 2, but I never got fully into it. Portal 2 however has much more variety and the puzzles are fun and difficult, but not difficult to the point of just giving up, like in the first game (for me, anyway ;) )
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Portal 2 is the older game of the bunch but it's insanely addicting. I had the first Portal game on that 'Orange Box' game that included it with Half-Life 2, but I never got fully into it. Portal 2 however has much more variety and the puzzles are fun and difficult, but not difficult to the point of just giving up, like in the first game (for me, anyway ;) )

I'm glad you like Portal 2, @Master_Dahark! I consider it one of my very favourite games ever. Did the Wheatley comedy work for you?

@0Brady
    Did you know David was voiced by Nolan North? And how did you react to the giraffes?
    Re- David:

I didn't know Nolan voiced David, no. It was only after I finished the game and googled it that I found that out. It shows just how great he is as a voice actor, to the point that his very distinctive voice can be made almost unrecognizable to someone like me, who is a big fan. I also didn't know he was the Penguin in Arkham City until long after I'd completed the game. Gotta love him, and David was so creepy. My heart was never beating faster than when he is after Ellie with that big knife, and you have to face off with him in that restaurant in a tension filled cat and mouse game. Brilliant stuff.

Re- Giraffes:

Oh, I loved that part. When Ellie drops the ladder in a big hurry I was worried, and went desperately after her not knowing what to expect. Imagine my surprise and joy when I saw that big giraffe head poking above the top of the building; truly a wondrous image, especially when you get near it and pet it, then gaze on as the herd moves across the city. A natural marvel in the middle of a man-made metropolis; some simple beauty after a sea of horrific brutality.
    @0Brady

The soundtrack by Gustavo Santaolalla is also quite sensational. Beautifully underscored.
    @0Brady

The soundtrack by Gustavo Santaolalla is also quite sensational. Beautifully underscored.

Yes, the music was fantastic. It hit all the right beats, and really made the atmosphere flourish.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2014 Posts: 13,894
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

So I upgraded the armour and cannons of the Jackdaw, and took to the waves. It wasn't long before I encountered one of the Legendary Ships, so I thought that I would try my luck... I got the ships armour down to the red, but it delt the Jackdaw a crippling salvo of cannon fire that put me out of action. But like the Terminator, i'll be back...
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Currently playing GoldenEye007 on my N64 Emulator. Surprisingly easy to play with a keyboard given all the buttons you need to press. Whilst I still enjoy it, I definitely think the story mode isn't as good as Everything or Nothing. But GE's strength was always in it's multiplayer.
    I'm takin' a trip down memory lane myself, Grand Theft Auto 3.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

Me too. I've been playing Vice City a lot. It's the first time I ever really seriously played a GTA game because I never really owned one, but it is a fun experience. I finally unlocked the attack chopper and having fun with the vigilante mission. :D
    That's more fun in San Andreas.
    Murdock wrote:

Me too. I've been playing Vice City a lot. It's the first time I ever really seriously played a GTA game because I never really owned one, but it is a fun experience. I finally unlocked the attack chopper and having fun with the vigilante mission. :D

Vice City still remains my fav GTA. The level of humour is wonderful.
    Wanted to treat myself for going back to college this semester, so I traded in my 360 and games (while they were worth something) and got myself a PlayStation 4. I've played 'Battlefield 4' (graphics are absolutely amazing on it), and overall, the system was worth every penny.

Got a free trial of PlayStation Plus (will get a full membership when I get paid again), so I downloaded the game 'Outlast' for free. One of the scariest, most intense games I've played in a long, long while. Had two friends come over to watch me play, and I turned the lights off and the volume way up. My side ended up hurting at one point from jumping so hard.
  • From Russia With Love

Played it for the first time in years last night. This game could've been so good but a few things let it down.

The game itself is pretty fun. It's more polished than Everything Or Nothing and it introduces some cool new ideas (like the point shooting thing, where you can shoot grenades on guards bodies). It's the story that let's it down. FRWL is one of the worst choices for a game adaption. There isn't much action and they weren't even allowed to use the villains (so SPECTRE are now "Octopus").

They should've either made an original story or adapted Goldfinger (not sure why they didn't just do Goldfinger anyway as it's such an iconic Bond film). It'd make so much more sense. Why did they decide to do FRWL?
    From Russia With Love

Played it for the first time in years last night. This game could've been so good but a few things let it down.

The game itself is pretty fun. It's more polished than Everything Or Nothing and it introduces some cool new ideas (like the point shooting thing, where you can shoot grenades on guards bodies). It's the story that let's it down. FRWL is one of the worst choices for a game adaption. There isn't much action and they weren't even allowed to use the villains (so SPECTRE are now "Octopus").

They should've either made an original story or adapted Goldfinger (not sure why they didn't just do Goldfinger anyway as it's such an iconic Bond film). It'd make so much more sense. Why did they decide to do FRWL?

I completely agree with you. An original storyline set in the 60's with Connery could have been great, instead of the bastardised version we ended up with.
    Goldfinger has even less action than FRWL though, so I don't agree with that either. A new Connery Bond game with an original story would be brilliant.
    Doom 2.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Goldfinger has even less action than FRWL though, so I don't agree with that either. A new Connery Bond game with an original story would be brilliant.

Yeah but they didn't even use half the action in FRWL. Plus they can take some liberties with GF that'd work much better than the ones they took with FRWL.

For example, the PTS. Extend it a bit, have some shooting before Bond blows up the heroin plant. When he sneaks into Goldfingers plant in Switzerland give him some guards to fight, and make the car chase a bit longer. When Bond escapes at the stud farm, turn it into a stealth level with Bond sneaking around, taking out guards, etc. Have one or two levels where we control a soldier fighting in the Fort Knox battle before going back to Bond and having the fight with Oddjob. And if they still don't have enough levels, do what they did with the FRWL game, have an original stand alone PTS then move onto the film after the title sequence.

I think these changes (and a few more) would make GF work as a game and I also think these changes are much better than the ones in the FRWL game.
    I like elements of From Russia with love yet I don't understand the Love affair many have with EA they took as many risks as Activision and did as many mistakes I would argue.
    The Walking Dead

Loved it. Much better than the first episode of series two. I'm starting to care about the characters now, the gameplay was more fun, the bit at the end after the shootout was brilliant and really tense.

I also really liked how it tied into 400 Days, I wasn't expecting that at all, and Kenny's alive! <:-P

And to top it all off, Michael Madsen is playing the main villain. Brilliant. With the way the story is going now, I wouldn't be surprised if this ended up being even better than the first season.