Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• edited May 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Assassin's Creed IV: Freedom Cry Hands down the best DLC for a game ever. It's like a mini AC game, with a whole new story, setting, theme song/soundtrack and hero.

Why wasn't this released on Wii U but the main game was? That pissed me off a bit. I had to borrow the 360 version of Black Flag off a mate just so I could play this. It's good though. While slavery was mentioned in AC III and AC IV, it's the main part of the story here. I thought it'd be a Django Unchained type thing but I was pleasantly surprised because it isn't just a slave out for revenge story. It's an emotional story with a lot of heart. Slavery isn't a subject you'd imagine being done well in a video game but Ubisoft managed to pull it off here.

Edward has left the pirate life behind and is now working as an assassin in London, living with his wife and kids. He's mentioned, but he's not in the game. Instead you play as Adewale, a slave turned pirate turned assassin. He was your quartermaster and best mate during the majority of Black Flag until he left to join the assassins towards the end.

Adewale is a beast. Playing as him is really fun and it's very different to playing as Edward, his fighting style is very different. He's by far the strongest, most powerful and most brutal assassin and this shows when he's impaling a slave trader on a branding iron or chopping up guards with his machete. The machete is your main weapon now but you get a whole new set of gear. Instead of pistols, you have a blunderbuss (which is brilliant, it's like a portable cannon), and you have some firecrackers for distracting guards, as well as the usual hidden blades, rope darts and blow pipe (with sleep darts and poison darts). Adewale reminded me of Connor a bit but he was more likeable and better written. His voice actor does a great job too, I really wouldn't mind a full game as him in the future.

The story is probably my favourite out of any AC game. It's over a decade since Black Flag and Adewale is now a fully trained assassin with years of experience under his belt. He's sent by the assassins to get a mysterious box back from the Templars. It never reveals what's in the box but it's important to the assassins, it's the one Ezio gave to that Chinese girl before he died. Anyway, he tracks it to a Templar ship and he manages to get the box, mission accomplished, but his ship gets caught in a storm and he's shipwrecked in Port Au Prince. He meets this woman, a prostitute who runs the local brothel. Adewale doesn't really want to work with her because she's actually affiliated with the Templars (the box was being taken to her), but she's been helping the local maroons (escaped slaves), who are planning a rebellion against the ruler of the island, a French governor. Adewale at first just wants to get back to the assassins because his job is done but eventually, once he gets a ship, he decides instead to stay and help the maroons. I'm actually a descendant of maroons (although they were Jamaican rather than Haitan) so it was cool for me to see my favourite game series have a story involving them.

The gameplay is the usual assassin's creed stuff. Tail/eavesdrop people, sneak through crowds and bushes, assassinate targets, run across rooftops, etc. Most of it you'll have seen in Black Flag but it's given entirely new context. EG- Instead of robbing plantations, you'll be liberating them by killing all the overseers. You can still take ships but there are also slave ships, which you have to be careful with, you don't want to sink it. There's also some new sharks and whales to hunt and a new shipwreck to explore (the Jackdaw, Edward's ship, which I thought was a bit sad to see).

The game really does a good job immersing you in the setting. There are no shops available because a black guy back then wouldn't have been served, all your gear comes from the maroon hideout. Jailers looking for escaped slaves prowl the streets and will attack you on sight. You feel like a vulnerable outsider. It actually does the whole racism idea much better than AC III (Connor being native American had no impact on how he was treated by others in the game world).

The side content here is freeing slaves. Taking over plantations, crashing slave auctions, freeing them from jailers, helping escapees being chased by overseers, etc. The more slaves you free, the more powerful the maroons become, and then they have more resources so you get better weapons and other upgrades. What's clever though is the way they use this is a metaphor. Slave auctions, escapees, etc, are randomly generated and they pop up no matter what; it works as a metaphor because no matter how hard Adewale fights, he can't save them all.

There was one really powerful mission where you're on board a sinking slave ship. You're desperately trying to free all the slaves but the ship tips and it starts sinking. You have to swim underwater past drowning shackled slaves and then the ship tips up and you climb out as water floods in and there's fire all around you while shackled slaves scream for help. It's provably the most distressing thing I've ever played in a game.

If you have AC IV (which I can't recommend enough) then get this. It's also available as a stand alone title for ps3 and ps4.

10/10

TLDR- Freedom Cry is a great, groundbreaking game with an emotional story and a badass new hero.
    Red dead redemption, only got half way through when i initially played it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Just finished the GTA V campaign again. I still like it, and enjoyed it just as much as the last time, but it isn't the "greatest game ever" that some have purported. It keeps the core of GTA intact and innovates the game mechanics effectively, and meshes the old and new very well. I still hold that Red Dead Redemption is Rockstar's masterpiece. I will likely replay that campaign next and the Undead Nightmare DLC, which I have never played previously.

While I have huge favoritism toward 'GTA IV' and find it to be a masterpiece of perfection, I can agree with RDR: that game really was stellar work from start to finish. They nailed every aspect downpat. My only complaint was the ending, but hell, after everything that came before, I can't really dog the game solely for that.
    Goldeneye for the wii at my Fiance's house ( I moved my wii up there) because I am in a 007 mood. Tonight though I will be Finishing Splinter Cell Black list..

Also I picked up Tomb Raider and Doom 3 BFG edition for the 360 this weekend.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited May 2014 Posts: 28,694
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Just finished the GTA V campaign again. I still like it, and enjoyed it just as much as the last time, but it isn't the "greatest game ever" that some have purported. It keeps the core of GTA intact and innovates the game mechanics effectively, and meshes the old and new very well. I still hold that Red Dead Redemption is Rockstar's masterpiece. I will likely replay that campaign next and the Undead Nightmare DLC, which I have never played previously.

While I have huge favoritism toward 'GTA IV' and find it to be a masterpiece of perfection, I can agree with RDR: that game really was stellar work from start to finish. They nailed every aspect downpat. My only complaint was the ending, but hell, after everything that came before, I can't really dog the game solely for that.

I think the ending is what cements the game as a masterpiece. The game played it realistically and didn't hold back. Even without it you have elements like the redemption of John who is turning away from a bad life of crime to care for his family, the commentary on the virus of power and corruption, the rise and fall of men with great aspirations, the fraudulence of the "American Dream", the hypocrisy of democracy and so many other things that make this game brilliant beyond compare. It's moving, it's high-brow, it's unrelenting in its jabs to both the period of the early 1900s and our own time today; it's just phenomenal.

I just began playing the campaign again yesterday and am once again vindicated in my love for it. It feels so cool to ride into town and hear people discussing you behind your back, or storming around while thunder clouds are forming on the horizon. Everything just feels so alive and immersive. During my playing time yesterday I was at Bonnie's farm and was going about my business when suddenly a man walked up to the camp fire near my rooms and started playing his violin. I went to investigate, and soon tons of people were all gathering just to listen, sitting by the fire or taking up a seat on the benches. Then a man and woman began dancing together to the tune. It was a moment I had never experienced before, but I loved seeing it. As John I felt a part of the community and accepted despite my gunslinger past. We were all just a bunch of people joining together to have some fun. Sometimes the simplest things like that in games can blow my mind more than an action set piece or cinematic.
    I'm pretty sure when I got RDR, I did the first few single player missions to give myself that free roam opportunity, and INSTANTLY went out and hunted for many in-game days to rack up money. It was so fun, just hiding from coyotes and whatnot as I hunted snakes, birds, etc. Yet another fantastic game I would love to return to one day. When I get the money, I think I'm going to get a 360 or PS3 again and get some of my favorite games from those consoles.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I'm pretty sure when I got RDR, I did the first few single player missions to give myself that free roam opportunity, and INSTANTLY went out and hunted for many in-game days to rack up money. It was so fun, just hiding from coyotes and whatnot as I hunted snakes, birds, etc. Yet another fantastic game I would love to return to one day. When I get the money, I think I'm going to get a 360 or PS3 again and get some of my favorite games from those consoles.

I hunt a lot too. The thing I love about this game that can't be said for other open world titles is that you can never go broke. There is always something to make money off of, the primary activity being hunting. It's addictive too. I'll be riding around and spot a mess of deer all over the place and spend ten minutes just trying to shoot and skin all of them. That nets you a lot of cash alone, and you just want to keep on hunting once you've started. It's even better when you go hunting in Mexico and come back to sell the goods in Blackwater for increased profits because of the rarity of some animal furs and hearts in those parts.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Anybody remember Soldier of Fortune, for the PC, PS2 and Dreamcast? Just played the PS2 version yesterday.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, talking about all of this really makes me want to get a 360 or PS3 again. Damn.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, talking about all of this really makes me want to get a 360 or PS3 again. Damn.

I've actually been playing through Uncharted 3 again this afternoon. :-)
    All I have on the PS4 is 'Killzone' (which I haven't even opened), and BF4, which just pisses me off anymore due to the broken online. There's really no exclusives coming out for a long, long while that make me excited, so I kind of regret making the next-gen jump so soon like I said I wouldn't do.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    All I have on the PS4 is 'Killzone' (which I haven't even opened), and BF4, which just pisses me off anymore due to the broken online. There's really no exclusives coming out for a long, long while that make me excited, so I kind of regret making the next-gen jump so soon like I said I wouldn't do.

It's why I'm not looking to get one until around Christmas time, although I'm hoping to move house in November so the PS4 may have to wait till my birthday next April.
    Even by November or December, there really won't be anything out that screams 'go next-gen.' I don't know if 'The Division' is an exclusive, but that's about the only one that has me very excited right now. Even 'The Last Of Us: Remastered' could just be played on the PS3. Hopefully they roll out that program soon where you can purchase PS1-PS3 games, so I can get some older classics to enjoy.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Even by November or December, there really won't be anything out that screams 'go next-gen.' I don't know if 'The Division' is an exclusive, but that's about the only one that has me very excited right now. Even 'The Last Of Us: Remastered' could just be played on the PS3. Hopefully they roll out that program soon where you can purchase PS1-PS3 games, so I can get some older classics to enjoy.

Batman: Arkham Origins is out later this year. Can't think of anything else due out. It's all gone quiet regarding Uncharted 4 so I've no idea whether it'll be out this year or next. Maybe there'll be some news at E3.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Anybody remember Soldier of Fortune, for the PC, PS2 and Dreamcast? Just played the PS2 version yesterday.

What's it like? I have often seen copies around, but never bought it. Following <a href="http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/9397/039no-one-lives-forever039-to-live-forever-on-digital-distribution.#Item_3">this</a>, I have been replaying...

lanparti7.jpg

The dialogue, set design, gameplay, score and characters are all superb. Year after year, COD is wheeled out, yet this series is limited to 2 main games and a spin-off. Come in Cate Archer, we need you desperately.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Even when I eventually get a ps4 or an xbox one, I'm not selling my 360. There are tons of games I enjoy on it and I've spent a lot of money on it over the years. I still have my n64 and my ps2 for the same reason.
    Creasy47 wrote:

Assassin's Creed Unity is out around then and it's only on ps4/xbox one, so I'll be getting a next gen console when that comes out. The new Batman game is only on the next gen consoles as well and I'd imagine that most of the big franchises will be doing the same now, either this year or next.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

What's it like? I have often seen copies around, but never bought it.

You play as a mercenary working for an organization called "The Shop", and you're tasked with taking down a terrorist organization. It's a pretty standard FPS story, and its sequel is supremely better, but the main attraction to both games is the amazing amount of ways you can mutilate bodies with weapons (blowing off heads, hands, arms, feet, legs, stomachs). As I say, though, the sequel is better. Played that one on the PC first, but now my PC copy has some odd crusty stuff that I cannot remove in any way, and doesn't work, so I'll have it on the Xbox in a few days.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

What's it like? I have often seen copies around, but never bought it.

You play as a mercenary working for an organization called "The Shop", and you're tasked with taking down a terrorist organization. It's a pretty standard FPS story, and its sequel is supremely better, but the main attraction to both games is the amazing amount of ways you can mutilate bodies with weapons (blowing off heads, hands, arms, feet, legs, stomachs). As I say, though, the sequel is better. Played that one on the PC first, but now my PC copy has some odd crusty stuff that I cannot remove in any way, and doesn't work, so I'll have it on the Xbox in a few days.

Reminds me of the criminally under appreciated Cold Winter.

No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy In H.A.R.M.'S Way

lookback-on-nolf201.jpg

So far, I am in love with this game as much as the first. The rumors of HD remakes must come true... please.
    Just finished the campaign for Red Dead Redemption again. It doesn't get much better than this, folks. The game is one of the deepest and richest strands told through the video game medium, without a shadow of a doubt. It's a story full of shysters, lawmen and gunslingers, where criminals turn peacemakers, rebels become the tyrants they always fought against and we learn that no matter how much we fight it, we can't ever outrun our pasts. At the center of this masterpiece is John Marston, one of the greatest characters to grace this medium or any other. He's done bad things, but is trying to be a better person, and gives his all for his family, no matter the cost to himself. He's sometimes hypocritical, often in over his head, and always conflicted. In short, he's human. It's easy to relate to him along his journey, and you root for him no matter what comes his way. His fight is what makes this game an unforgettable experience along with the support of other characters just as deep and interesting as he. The writing is phenomenal, the characters a joy to analyze and rediscover, the missions enthralling and the tale of John Marston a powerful and unreserved one. Anybody who loves video games and great storytelling and characters deserves to experience what the miraculous Red Dead Redemption has to offer.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I was watching gameplay of it last night, reminiscing. Just found out my PS4 would get me $357, I might trade it in so I can return to some 360/PS3 classics.
    I've been playing a host of different games, mainly sticking with a Star Wars theme, however.

Soldier of Fortune: Gold Edition (PS2)
    Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix (Xbox)
    Star Wars Shadows of the Empire (N64)
    Star Wars Rogue Squadron (N64)
    Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (GCN)
    Star Wars Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike (GCN)
    Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Wii)
    Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars (Wii)
    Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes (PS3)
    Tetris (GB)
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I was watching gameplay of it last night, reminiscing. Just found out my PS4 would get me $357, I might trade it in so I can return to some 360/PS3 classics.

You'd trade in your PS4 just for that?
    It really isn't worth it. I went against what I initially said ("I'll wait at least a year for next-gen) and I regret it. I have two games for the PS4 - 'Battlefield 4' (which is on current-gen, as well), and 'Killzone: Shadow Fall', which I haven't even touched yet. I looked at all of the games coming out in the next year that I really want, and there's only one I really want that is next-gen only, and that's 'The Division.' I just can't justify keeping it for much longer, I need entertaining gaming goodness. If I had the money, I would just buy a 360/PS3 and keep my PS4. That would be the preferred option, but alas, college leaves me broke.
    It's funny, Brady, I just started playing RDR again a week or two ago (I just crossed into Mexico; I can't believe it's only my second time on this campaign) and I happened to see on PSN that you were playing it too, so I knew I had to log in here and hear what you had to say.

You hit the nail on the head. Between RDR and The Last of Us, two best video games of all time in my book.
    It's funny, Brady, I just started playing RDR again a week or two ago (I just crossed into Mexico; I can't believe it's only my second time on this campaign) and I happened to see on PSN that you were playing it too, so I knew I had to log in here and hear what you had to say.

You hit the nail on the head. Between RDR and The Last of Us, two best video games of all time in my book.

Yeah, it's great, the main strengths being characters and storytelling. I just got 100% completion on RDR today, and will likely start playing the Undead Nightmare DLC sometime tomorrow, which I have never experienced before. I'm quite excited.

Yeah, it's great, the main strengths being characters and storytelling. I just got 100% completion on RDR today, and will likely start playing the Undead Nightmare DLC sometime tomorrow, which I have never experienced before. I'm quite excited.

My first playthrough is actually a 100% run. I would argue RDR is flawless. John Marston is my favourite VG character of all time.

My first playthrough is actually a 100% run. I would argue RDR is flawless. John Marston is my favourite VG character of all time.

Yeah, it's pretty difficult not to fall in love with John. Someone you have reason to hate because of his past, but who you grow to adore and respect because he will do literally anything to protect his family. He's definitely one of my favorite game characters as well; complex and unforgettable.

The man they hired to portray John, Rob Weithoff is fantastic as well, and couldn't be more like Marston if he tried. They both care about family more than anything. I've posted this video focusing on Weithoff's life after RDR before, and you should check it out if you haven't see it:

I've watched that video six or seven times before. Never gets old. The man gives possibly the best VA performance ever and then retires to be with his family. Wiethoff would probably be a multi-millionaire by now with all the games he surely would've been offered and he chose the integrity of being with those he loved over all the money in the world. To say I admire the man is an understatement if I've ever uttered one.
    I've watched that video six or seven times before. Never gets old. The man gives possibly the best VA performance ever and then retires to be with his family. Wiethoff would probably be a multi-millionaire by now with all the games he surely would've been offered and he chose the integrity of being with those he loved over all the money in the world. To say I admire the man is an understatement if I've ever uttered one.
    Like I said, the man couldn't be more like John if he tried. And you're right: with his voice, he'd be hired for all kinds of voice acting jobs. What a job to go out on, though. Whoever was involved with casting him for the role deserves a medal of their own.
    No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy In H.A.R.M.'S Way

I have completed the Ohio mission(s), and have reached India. The fight at the end of Ohio took me by surprise. I thought it would be a simple run of the mill gunfight inside the house. The rampaging tornado outside decided to get in on the action by picking the house up, and started to rip it apart.