Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Very, very, very well said, Dimi. I knew from the start when they had a shaved-and-bearded Max in the screenshots, many years before the game's release, that it was going to be bad. They could throw in Hoboken or wherever flashbacks all they want, it just wasn't the same. I recently bought MP2 on the Xbox Live Arcade and I constantly re-play it, it's so entertaining. MP3 was just one massive run and gun game with too many cutscenes and overly massive explosions with characters I couldn't care less about.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Thanks, @Dimi. I don't want to discourage you from purchasing Origins though, because it is good for the most part. I only warn you against expecting a Rocksteady level presentation, as I don't think that was ever a possibility. Tomorrow we are supposed to be getting a big announcement regarding the series, and I'm still holding on to the hope that the Arkham City follow up will be revealed. One can dream...

As for Max Payne 3, I enjoyed it fine enough. I haven't played the past two, so I don't know what makes a good Max game beyond the bullet time mechanic. I liked #3's gameplay, voice acting and characters, but the story was admittedly a massive mess of gangs, corrupt politicians and policemen, so much so that it made my head spin and I couldn't explain the storyline very well if tasked. In one of the cutscenes Max even tells Passos how confused he is by all of what has been going on, and he says "that's the point." I share your pain, Max. Max's never-ending cynicism can get very old as well, but I do enjoy how his character was explored. Overall, it was interesting to see Rockstar take on a linear, closed world game, and it is a thrill ride, especially the last level.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Creasy47, talking about the looks, I first thought that Sam Fisher had entered the realm of MP.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I share that dream! Arkham City rocks. But, I must admit, I prefer Arkham Asylum. I like the isolation in the buildings, the many references to the Batman Comic Universe, the progress of the story and, most of all, Joker. ;-)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    DarthDimi wrote:
    @Creasy47, talking about the looks, I first thought that Sam Fisher had entered the realm of MP.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I share that dream! Arkham City rocks. But, I must admit, I prefer Arkham Asylum. I like the isolation in the buildings, the many references to the Batman Comic Universe, the progress of the story and, most of all, Joker. ;-)

With Rocksteady you do feel like fans are making the games for other fans, which is great, and those references are always fantastic. For me, the best moment of the games so far has been Batman climbing to the top of Wonder Tower, beating his way through thug after thug to reach Strange; what a gloriously epic piece of gameplay. I've hardly ever felt more like Batman, and been so proud of who he is as a character: the eternal immovable object.
    With Rocksteady you do feel like fans are making the games for other fans, which is great, and those references are always fantastic. For me, the best moment of the games so far has been Batman climbing to the top of Wonder Tower, beating his way through thug after thug to reach Strange; what a gloriously epic piece of gameplay. I've hardly ever felt more like Batman, and been so proud of who he is as a character: the eternal immovable object.

I can agree. Credit also to Paul Dini's writing. His comic book material is excellent and he brought the same excellence to the games IMO.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

In between missions, I am taking to the seas to get involved in naval skirmishes. It's official, this is now my favourite game in the series.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, you haven't played the first two MP games? You really should get around to those some day, they're fantastic, some of the best games I've ever played. The storyline really is something special and unique and from the first few moments of the Xbox original opener, it grabs your attention and makes you feel for Max greatly.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Everyone should have played the first two Max Payne games, they were awesome (granted, I happen to like MP3, as well, which it seems quite a few people do not).

Anyway, dusted off (quite literally, the damn thing was covered in dust) the old Xbox because I just bought Half-Life 2 for a dollar at a Goodwill store. First new game I've bought for the device in years. So far, I'm having a blast.
    I loved 'Half-Life 2' and the two episodes it came with. I think 'The Orange Box' for the 360/PS3/PC was one fantastic deal: 'Half-Life 2' and the two episodes, 'Portal,' and 'Team Fortress 2.' I'd love to return to it, but I doubt anyone plays TF2 anymore, which was one entertaining game.
  • I just beat Lego Marvel Superheroes a couple of days ago. To anyone shying away from playing the lego games thinking that they're for kids, you're missing out. They're some of the funnest games to come out in recent memory. I'm still holding out hope for Lego James Bond.
    Portal 2

portal-2.jpg

By now I've played this game often enough to where I can puzzle my way out of any challenge without too much thought. So then why do I keep playing it?

In truth, I think Portal 2 is an amazing game. It's funny, exciting and it shows amazing vistas beyond the beautifully constructed test chambers. I simply love being part of this world, following its particular physics and of course facing the two deadly enemies: GLaDOS and Wheatley.
    @DarthDimi, I love both of the 'Portal' games, and Wheatley is an excellent addition to the sequel.

"Okay, good news, that is NOT a docking station!"
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I loved 'Half-Life 2' and the two episodes it came with. I think 'The Orange Box' for the 360/PS3/PC was one fantastic deal: 'Half-Life 2' and the two episodes, 'Portal,' and 'Team Fortress 2.' I'd love to return to it, but I doubt anyone plays TF2 anymore, which was one entertaining game.

I just snagged it on the original Xbox, though I would have preferred getting the Orange Box.
    I bet it's still fun on the original Xbox. I'd love to have the chance to play it again.
    Oh, it's fun, except for that outrageously long level on the airboat, which has been, literally, half my current playtime.
    Oh, it's fun, except for that outrageously long level on the airboat, which has been, literally, half my current playtime.

I don't remember that level, it's been a very long time since I've played it. Though I remember one of the episodes (I think the 2nd one) had an achievement for carrying Gnome Chompski throughout the entire level, and there's a part where you use a car for a very long time, so you have to put him in the back of the car and wedge him in it, and every few feet you drove, it seemed he would fall out. Very irritating.
    Creasy47 wrote:

I don't remember that level, it's been a very long time since I've played it. Though I remember one of the episodes (I think the 2nd one) had an achievement for carrying Gnome Chompski throughout the entire level

So does Left 4 Dead 2. I've never gotten it. I don't like Gnome Chompski.

And the level with the airboat is called "Water Hazard". It was crazy long, had a puzzle in it that confused me, and was just a pain in the ass in general.
    The hardest one was the one from 'Half-Life 2.' The L4D2 one was easy because you could play on the easiest difficulty and just have friendlies clear the way for you.

OHH, I know what you're talking about. You drive the airboat around through a water tunnel/sewer type area? There's some puzzle involving barrels or something that you have to raise a gate with?
    Creasy47 wrote:
    OHH, I know what you're talking about. You drive the airboat around through a water tunnel/sewer type area? There's some puzzle involving barrels or something that you have to raise a gate with?

Yup, that one. That very puzzle took me some time to figure out.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    The hardest one was the one from 'Half-Life 2.' The L4D2 one was easy because you could play on the easiest difficulty and just have friendlies clear the way for you.

My best friend and I often play Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 whenever we get together, the most recent being a few days ago. We always put the game on advanced or expert and then do the final bridge level in #2. Utter madness... ;)
    That bridge level during the L4D2 finale is insane, especially on Expert. When my friends and I played that section together on Expert, we just booked it straight there, no revives, nothing. I think most of them got left behind or were tossed into the water by Tanks, and I was the only one that made it to the helicopter. So intense.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    That bridge level during the L4D2 finale is insane, especially on Expert. When my friends and I played that section together on Expert, we just booked it straight there, no revives, nothing. I think most of them got left behind or were tossed into the water by Tanks, and I was the only one that made it to the helicopter. So intense.

Yeah, it's insanity. One time I was the only one left, but since I hadn't played the game for a long time I went the wrong way, doubled back and got just feet from the helicopter before being ravaged by a horde. I could literally reach out and touch the helicopter. My friend and I both managed to make it once, which was beyond satisfying.
    I think a few of my friends and I also had a moment like that where two or three of us made it to the helicopter, but one of our friends was way back and still alive, so it wouldn't take off yet, and we had Hunter after Spitter after Tank rushing off. We just got bombarded and killed, it was very insane.
    I hope I'm not the only one who plays L4D2 on the PC. I've got a sh*tton of mods from the Workshop.
    I hope I'm not the only one who plays L4D2 on the PC. I've got a sh*tton of mods from the Workshop.

I don't play on the PC at all, sadly. I looked into getting into some RTS games a few months back, but it never panned out, so I just stick with my 360.
  • I just finished Max Payne 3 yesterday and I thoroughly enjoyed it, I didn't play the original games either, but this one was quite fun all the way through and I felt I got sucked into playing it, and just wanted to keep playing, even when it ended. lol I think it's a great game and I'm definitely hoping for a fourth.
    I just finished Max Payne 3 yesterday and I thoroughly enjoyed it, I didn't play the original games either

Play the first two. There are video games that you just shouldn't go through life without playing. Grand Theft Auto 3, Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein 3D, Max Payne 1 & 2, Super Mario Bros, Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Red Faction, maybe the first Halo (the only good one), Dead Space... the list goes on and on.
  • I did watch some gameplay of the first two but I don't think I could get along with the gameplay mechanics. We can just hope they will do an HD remake.
    When I bought Max Payne 3 I actually got a free download along with the disc for the first game, but I just haven't had the ambition to ever play it. I only got the game because Rockstar was developing it, not out of a fanboy's excitement, so it's no wonder why.
    NightFire...

it really is an underated classic