Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I used some XBL currency to pick up the Xbox original 'Max Payne 2' on the 360. One of my favorite games of all time. Years and years later, I still remember the dialogue, level layouts, gunfights, etc. It's such a fantastic game, and it goes to show that some of the best games you've ever managed to play can still exist on old consoles.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Assassin's Creed 4

The side content in this game puts the likes of GTA to shame. While in GTA V I could go and do yoga or play tennis, in this I can take on an assassination contract to kill a smuggler. In order to do this I need to use a diving bell to reach the ocean floor and then swim through a shark infested mineshaft to reach a cave where the target is. Trouble is when you go underwater you leave your weapons and armour on the ship and he's surrounded by armed guards so I have to be very careful, however, I can approach it however I want. I could choke out the guy with the musket and then kill the smuggler by shooting the explosive barrels, I could sneak behind him by swimming underwater and then snap his neck from behind, but I went into corner cover and killed him with a throwing knife then scrambled up the ladder leading out of the cave and dived off a cliff into the sea.

This was a side mission. A side mission! There are 30 other assassination missions like this one and loads of other side content too. This game has raised the bar in terms of open world games. It's by far the best in the series and it's my favourite game ever. I'll be playing this for a long time.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    @thelivingroyale, I played a couple of hours of the 1st Assassins Creed years ago but never completed it or played any other AC game since. If I just get AC4 will I be missing any critical and portably story elements or can I happily not bother with the previous games and just get on with it?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Despite it's repetition in regards to the mission types, the original Assassin's Creed game is still my favourite, that's based on the characters, story and setting. I never finished AC3, and due to that game, I am very sceptical about any further games in the series. However, the amount of exploration in AC4 has me interested. I'm torn, you see. My birthday is a few days after Christmas, when the sales begin...
    Quantum of Solace for the ps2 by far the most underated bond film
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I've finally bought and started on The Last Of Us. I'm only a couple of hours in but liking it so far.

Batman and Assassin's Creed are next on my list after Christmas.
    @doubleoego You'd need to play the others to understand the overarching modern day story but that's always been the weakest part of the games anyway and there's hardly any of it in AC IV.

The only real background you need is this: Templars and Assassin's have been battling each other since the Crusades and they often end up discovering and fighting over ancient artifacts left behind by an ancient civilisation that existed before humanity.

I would recommend the others anyway but you can jump straight into AC 4 and understand it fine.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll get AC4 and take things from there.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Don't laugh... they mocked it on Mock The Week...

Farming Simulator (PS3)

The pace is slow, yet it's a strangely addictive game.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Don't laugh... they mocked it on Mock The Week...

Farming Simulator (PS3)

The pace is slow, yet it's a strangely addictive game.

I have nothing to say... Jedadiah.

I've been getting back in my Metal Gear groove since I finally (read: 2 years later) bought the HD Collection for the PS3. Currently going through MGS3 for Trophies.
    LaTeX
    It is not a game but I find it so entertaining as if it was one. It's a language for writing papers, books and making slides. Very elegant but it would take me some time to master it.
    Playing some 'Battlefield 4' lately. The game really pisses me off, but it's one of the only few I have right now and one of the only current FPS games that I can somehow enjoy.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I completed The Last Of Us a couple of weeks ago. What a great game, a must play for all serious gamers.

The most Batman and Assassin's Creed games are the ones I'm after next. I'll get them as soon as the price drops.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Next game for me to buy will probably be Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. I played it months ago at a friend's, but now I think I need to buy myself a copy, if for no other reason than to say I have every canon Metal Gear game, even if I don't really like Rising.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 40,492
    If I had a PS3, I would buy 'The Last Of Us' in an instant. My friend and I were talking today about what we should go with when we do end up making the switch to next-gen, and with how amazing the Sony exclusives usually are and how dull the MS ones seem to be, I might go the former route and get myself a PS4. The XB1 just really has to wow me if I am going to spend an extra $100, and it just doesn't.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    If I had a PS3, I would buy 'The Last Of Us' in an instant. My friend and I were talking today about what we should go with when we do end up making the switch to next-gen, and with how amazing the Sony exclusives usually are and how dull the MS ones seem to be, I might go the former route and get myself a PS4. The XB1 just really has to wow me if I am going to spend an extra $100, and it just doesn't.
    It'd be great to see you online if you did.

I should get The Last Of Us and Batman: Arkham Origins for Christmas, and I can't wait to play them.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I just might! Sounds like you've got one fantastic Christmas coming up. I usually find a really great game to play over Christmas Break, but this year, it looks like I'll have nothing, sadly. Last year it was 'Far Cry 3,' which was fantastic, but nothing has caught my eye this year in the midst of the industry switching to next-gen gaming. I'll have to find something.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I just might! Sounds like you've got one fantastic Christmas coming up. I usually find a really great game to play over Christmas Break, but this year, it looks like I'll have nothing, sadly. Last year it was 'Far Cry 3,' which was fantastic, but nothing has caught my eye this year in the midst of the industry switching to next-gen gaming. I'll have to find something.

Well, there's nothing wrong with revisiting old favorites and replaying the campaigns. You could do that if you wanted.
    Creasy47 wrote:

Well, there's nothing wrong with revisiting old favorites and replaying the campaigns. You could do that if you wanted.

I think I might. I know I plan on bundling up and watching the 'Band of Brothers' miniseries, and I'll probably throw some Bond films in, as well. I might try and find a good SP game I can pick up sometime before the end of December.
    Tomb Raider was on sale and I bought it, played it, beat it. Wow, what an outstanding game. I'm a big fan of the Uncharted series and this played very similar. Just an all around fantastic game.
    bondbat007 wrote:
    Tomb Raider was on sale and I bought it, played it, beat it. Wow, what an outstanding game. I'm a big fan of the Uncharted series and this played very similar. Just an all around fantastic game.

I really wanted to check that game out at some point. I think I'm going through a list of all available 360 games tomorrow and finding one I can dive in to over Christmas.
    Assassin's Creed 4

I really like the arc Edward has (he slowly loses everything and eventually he realises that there are more important things in the world than himself, then he finally joins the assassins to try and redeem himself and make a difference). This series is brilliant with that, the main character always seems to change throughout the game. These games have some of the best character development I've ever seen in anything.

I'm getting towards the end of the main story now and it looks like the last few missions will just be assassination missions. Done the first one (stole a disguise and assassinated that posh pirate hunter at a party), now there's the spanish Governor bloke and the evil pirate with magic powers left.
    Despite it's repetition in regards to the mission types, the original Assassin's Creed game is still my favourite, that's based on the characters, story and setting

I enjoyed the first game (it was the first xbox 360 game I played and it really blew me away at the time), but I wasn't a big fan of Altair (although I did warm to him by the end and I liked him in Revelations), and I'd argue that there wasn't really a story.

I did like the assassination missions and the setting though.

@Creasy47 If you haven't played them, The Walking Dead and Dishonoured are brilliant xbox 360 games that you can probably get quite cheap now. Assassin's Creed 4 is fantastic too but I know you're not really interested in the series after the last game.
    I've been thinking about it, but I loved ACII and I got to download that for free through the 360's Xbox Live Gold Games Of The Month program or whatever it is, so I may return to that since it'll all be fresh on my new(er) profile. I actually had 'Dishonored' and never got around to it, trading it in (like a fool) towards the Xbox One, only to find myself with a bunch of credit after canceling it and being stuck with no games on the 360. I remember you talking about how great it was, and I see the GOTY Edition is only $40, so I can only assume that'll include everything, unlike the 'Mass Effect Trilogy.' I might check that out instead in a few days.
    All the recent talk of Indiana Jones has made me play this old classic on my MAME:

More 'Battlefield 4' tonight, which equates to more of a bad idea. Well over one month in and the game is worse than it was when it shipped. It's almost as if DICE is going out of their way to make the game worse. This has to be the most broken game I've ever played before.
    Clearly, they thought "if it IS broke, don't fix it."
    Creasy47 wrote:
    More 'Battlefield 4' tonight, which equates to more of a bad idea. Well over one month in and the game is worse than it was when it shipped. It's almost as if DICE is going out of their way to make the game worse. This has to be the most broken game I've ever played before.
    Worse than GTA V on its first days/weeks online?
    Clearly, they thought "if it IS broke, don't fix it."

That's it, and what I don't get is how BF3 was so great, yet they managed to either change everything great about it, not fix what WAS broken in BF3, and just overall ruin everything else. I really can't think of anything BF4 does better than BF3, nor can I think of too many things that do work in the game. It's a joke.
    Mafia 2, Batman Arkham Origins and The Last Of Us. All great games in their own right. The Last Of Us I'm in the midst of my first play through and it's shaping up becoming one of the best "Z" games. Loosely referring to the zombie genre of game and movies. Even though there are no real living dead. But 28 Days Later and the likes show that you don't need to have the living dead to have yourself a Z-Movie.
    @SharkBait, how does 'Mafia II' hold up in the year 2013? I haven't played that game in a very, very long time.