Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• edited December 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Assassin's Creed- Return to the castle and fight your way past the assassins to kill the mentor bloke who has possessed the village and made clones of himself.

Assassin's Creed 2- Storm the vatican and beat up the pope.

Brotherhood- Run through a battlefield and kill Ceasare by fighting him and chucking him off the wall

Revelations- Save the girl then parasail from the back of a carrige and then fight the templar prince in mid air after going flying off a mountain

Assassin's Creed 3- Chase Lee onto an exploding boat and finally kill him after tracking him down to a pub in the frontier.

In comparison to these, the finale of AC 4 (which I won't spoil), was pretty weak. Good ending though and I liked the after credits scene, sets up AC 3 well if you were playing them in chronological order.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 2,107
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @SharkBait, how does 'Mafia II' hold up in the year 2013? I haven't played that game in a very, very long time.

It's still worth of playing if you're into the genre.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 12,837
    The Walking Dead

It was really good. I'm already starting to connect to some of the new characters and playing as Clementine works well and doesn't really change the experience, which was my only real worry.

Lots of improvements over series 1. It's much smoother, the pointer is better and the screen's less cluttered.

Nothing from 400 Days yet, which I think is surprising. The choice at the end was quite hard and the next time bit is interesting because it hints as a returning character (who Clementine thought was dead).

Could be Kenny or Christa but my money's actually on Lily.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @thelivingroyale, I picked up 'Dishonored: Game Of The Year Edition' last night, so I'm looking forward to playing it and all the DLC over Christmas Break!
  • @Creasy47 Nice one, enjoy it! It's a brilliant game. My advice would be to take your time with it and explore, do the side objectives, etc. Also make sure to save fairly regularly, especially if you're trying to do it all undetected.
    @Creasy47 Nice one, enjoy it! It's a brilliant game. My advice would be to take your time with it and explore, do the side objectives, etc. Also make sure to save fairly regularly, especially if you're trying to do it all undetected.

I think because so many achievements go into different playstyles and restrictions that I'm going to just play it once, get accustomed with the world and whatnot with no worries about achievements, then go for them after my first playthrough.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (PS3)

GAME are selling it for £22.49, so I decided now is a good time to pick up a copy. I've only played it for about an hour, but already I prefer this to AC3.
  • I've been playing The Saboteur recently. It's a little older, but I do love the setting of occupied Paris during WW2.

You know what I'd love to see? A Bond game in the vein of Blade Runner on the PC. Anybody remember that bad boy? That's going back a long way.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited December 2013 Posts: 28,694
    I've been playing The Saboteur recently. It's a little older, but I do love the setting of occupied Paris during WW2.

You know what I'd love to see? A Bond game in the vein of Blade Runner on the PC. Anybody remember that bad boy? That's going back a long way.

I liked that game too. It had its faults, but still offered a lot to the gamer.
  • I've been playing The Saboteur recently. It's a little older, but I do love the setting of occupied Paris during WW2.

Yeah, shame there was never a sequel. If they tidied up a few of the loose ends, it could've been a classic.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited December 2013 Posts: 13,350

GAME are selling it for £22.49.

As are Amazon. I'm holding out until after Christmas and hoping the price drops even further. I can't wait to pick it up.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I've been playing The Saboteur recently. It's a little older, but I do love the setting of occupied Paris during WW2.

Yeah, shame there was never a sequel. If they tidied up a few of the loose ends, it could've been a classic.
    I thought it ended rather well, all things considered. Plus, I believe it was the final game for the developer Pandemic Studios before they were dissolved, unfortunately, so no sequel could've happened anyway.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Samuel001 wrote:

As are Amazon. I'm holding out until after Christmas and hoping the price drops even further. I can't wait to pick it up.

I would suggest buying it from GAME now. I was going to hold out too, but I figured that £22.49 was a fair price.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, @JamesBondRadio - The Saboteur was great fun to play.
    Samuel001 wrote:

I would suggest buying it from GAME now. I was going to hold out too, but I figured that £22.49 was a fair price.

Quite right, and the price may go up again after the holiday season is over. I say snap it up now.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I'm going to risk it and hope it goes the other way. £22.49 is a great price and I'd hate to miss out on an even lower one if it means waiting just a week longer.

I know I could come undone here but so be it.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I'm going to risk it and hope it goes the other way. £22.49 is a great price and I'd hate to miss out on an even lower one if it means waiting just a week longer.

I know I could come undone here but so be it.

You could always get it at this price and wait to see if the price drops. If it drops in one week, you can request a price match and they'll just refund you the difference, or you could not open it and wait two or three weeks to see, then return it if the price does change and get the lower priced one.

I thought it ended rather well, all things considered. Plus, I believe it was the final game for the developer Pandemic Studios before they were dissolved, unfortunately, so no sequel could've happened anyway.

Blade Runner was a great game. Sometimes I even think it's better than the movie. (don't shoot me!)

• SharkBait wrote:
    Blade Runner was a great game. Sometimes I even think it's better than the movie. (don't shoot me!)

Haha! No worries, I haven't actually seen Blade Runner, the movie, I just played the game. Maybe it is me that deserves a bullet ;-)
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

I'm up to:
    Where Edward acquires the Blow Pipe with the sleep & berserk darts.

I am enjoying this one much more than AC3. Based on what I have experienced thus far, this is going to be in my top 2 Assassin's Creed games. It is closing the gap on the original game for the no 1 spot.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    last game I played was Call of Duty Ghosts. Pretty good game actually. I loved playing as Riley the German Shepard dog. pretty good idea.

I have been playing minecraft alot recently too....so damn addicting!
  • My last one was Battlefield 4. Don't really play the singleplayer too much. The multiplayer is where it really shines.
    last game I played was Call of Duty Ghosts. Pretty good game actually. I loved playing as Riley the German Shepard dog. pretty good idea.

I have been playing minecraft alot recently too....so damn addicting!

Minecraft is ridiculously addicting. I love it so much, it's so entertaining. I bought the Natural Texture Pack the other day at only $.50, so I'm looking forward to returning to the game to play it with a different texture and style.
    007 Bloodstone

Still a favorite! Everything about this game impresses me: the glorious graphics, the life-life AI bots, the excellent cover-shoot system, the ruthless fisticuffs, and the thrilling driving missions, which are a very nice treat. I can't believe it doesn't get more credit; I'd definitely play Bloodstone any day of the week over Legends or GoldenEye Reloaded, that's for sure.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Batman: Arkham Origins

This is one of the games I got for Christmas, alongside The Last of Us, so I have been playing the hell out of it since the 25th. I can't remember the last time I was so divisive about a game, but here it is.

What Doesn't Work:

This game can be a buggy, glithcy mess. The game will lag as it desperately tries to render the game world, which can get quite annoying as it happens more often than I'd like to admit. The game features more collectibles for you to pick up like the riddler trophies in Asylum and City, but while they were cleverly hidden in puzzles and hard to get at times in those games, here they are literally out in the open, take little to no effort and only a few of the packs are cleverly hidden from you. It's definitely less fun to run around and pick them up in light of this.

And now for the straw that broke the camel's back. In Origins there is something called The Dark Knight System which are combat, predator and exploration type challenges that the player must complete. It is quite easily one of the worst systems I have ever seen in a game, aside from all the glitches and bugs it has at times. The Dark Knight System is basically a series of challenges for each area like combat and predator that require you to accomplish certain feats that can only be done in the order that the game stipulates. Now, for the combat and exploration sections this isn't an issue, but with the predator mode that requires you to complete predator related challenges (titled The Worst Nightmare), it is. The Worst Nightmare challenges can at times be buggy and are not specific at times concerning exactly what you are to complete. Some challenges task you with "using a sonic batarang in a predator encounter" but fail to inform you what classifies as a predator encounter.

Most of the challenges stipulate that you complete these feats in predator rooms, which are rooms full of gunmen, ledges and the whole nine yards that we know from Asylum and City, but once again the game doesn't explain whether the challenges have to be done in these types of environments or out in the open game world. To make things even worse, some challenges can only be done at two points in the game because of what that challenge requires you to do, one area which is at the end of the game, meaning that if you miss your chance to get a challenge completed by the time that predator room/encounter arrives you have to start the game all over in New Game Plus or the new I Am the Night Mode, the latter which only gives you one life and if you die during the story, even at the near end of the game, you have to start all over. NO THANKS.

If you are a new player and don't know that you not only have to do these Dark Knight System challenges in order or that the predator rooms that are needed to complete them are a rarity in the game and show up but once or twice, you are screwed. The game doesn't make you aware of this at all, so unless you are a mind reader during your first playthrough you are screwed. It's not possible to prepare for these challenges on your first playthrough anyway, since you have no idea what is coming in the game or how many predator rooms you have ahead of you to complete the challenges in. Because you need two particular predator encounters in the game to complete the Worst Nightmare challenge section, the second room which arrives right at the end of the game, there is nothing for you to do if you miss your chance unless you play New Game Plus or if you're an idiot, the suicidal I Am the Night Mode. All this could be fixed if predator rooms respawned enemies after you left like in City so that players could return to the predator rooms to complete the challenges, but no, in Origins everything is left completely empty once you have cleared it, meaning you can't finish the challenges if you missed your chances in the campaign. At this point I have completed all I can of the Dark Night System challenges, but until the developers fix the problems with the system and find some way to respawn enemies in predator rooms to make it more efficient and reasonable for players to complete the challenges, I'm done with it. It's such a broken part of the game, and the Worst Nightmare challenges are aptly named as they truly are a nightmare to complete...

Some things about this game, both in the campaign and in these kinds of challenges feel like serious instances of lost potential that could've been great if helmed by a more competent developer.

What Works:

I always like to get the negatives out of the way first and finish on a good note, so here we go. Despite my negativity in the first few paragraphs, this is a good game and does have a lot that works. Roger Craig Smith is an admirable Batman, taking a role that has been made quintessential forever by King Conroy (bows head) and does his own thing with it in an effective way. He gets the Batman tone down, and some of his line deliveries are such pure Batman it hurts. Troy Baker is an equally good Joker in a role that has again been made quintessential by King Hamill (bows head again). He has the vocal ticks of Mark's Joker down pat and does the part justice. While they can only play second chair to the two kings, Troy and Roger both do great work in this game and it really does feel like these two are younger versions of the characters we have seen in Asylum and City.

As for the story, I like it quite a lot, though it doesn't have that Paul Dini touch the previous two did. There are some things about it that anger me, like how underused Black Mask and Deathstroke are even after they were overplayed by the marketing for the game, but on the whole it is a satisfying experience. Some of the new gadgets are just plain cool, like a claw device that allows you to shoot a wire between two guys, knocking them out or making it possible to string enemies to gargolyes by shooting a line between them and the vantage point. It feels very Batman, and that is very good.

The relationship with Bruce and Alfred is also very important to this story, and developed effectively. You really get a feel for their relationship, one that is still stressed as Bruce has only been at his crusade for two years at this point. How the developers played with their dynamic was extremely satisfying, and I would love to see more of it. You can even go back to the batcave at any time to speak with Alfred, and the game will give you XP for it, which is a cool little feature.

Another relationship that gets developed is between Batman and Gordon. It's very interesting because Gordon and the rest of the GCPD consider Batman an enemy to Gotham and will do anything to bring him in, which you see as the game plays out. How the game plays with the dynamic of the Batman and Gordon is very satisfying, where they often butt heads at crucial points in the story, two immovable objects on a collision course with each other. How these two characters gain respect for each other and what they are faced with in the game that bring them together is satisfying as well, and something I'd like to see more of.

The side missions are also a blast, some of which are even better than some parts of the main story. You have to complete these sidequests to get the full effect of the game.

Conclusion:

With Arkham Origins, WB Montreal have created a game this is worthy of being included in the Arkham series alongside Asylum and City. While the game lacks the polish, detail, care and dedication the Rocksteady team delivered, it succeeds at being a Batman game that touches on interesting origins of the characters and the city of Gotham as a whole. WB Montreal took what worked in the past two games and kept it just the way it is, from the movements to the combat and other mechanics, which is fantastic. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies here. They also added some new features to the game which are very cool and much more effective than the previous games, like the ability to fast travel all across the game world, making it more effective to get things done. The boss fights are also much better than before, where you are presented with threats that feel serious as you face them, and many require thought and planning to beat which is great.

This game also makes you feel like a detective, where you can investigate crimes, pick them apart and recreate them to find a suspect before going out to find them, beat them to a pulp and have them taken in. This is one of my favorite parts of this game because it makes Batman worthy of being called "The World's Greatest Detective." And as ever, it is endlessly thrilling to look down on a massive group of baddies, swoop in, and clean them up with devastating power as only Batman can. While the game has its fair share of issues and may be inferior in some crucial ways to Rocksteady's efforts, Arkham Origins is a worthy addition to a series of video games that have given Batman new life in the medium.
  • I'm still playing Assassin's Creed 4. I've taken over all the naval forts now and I've nearly done all the assassination contracts.

I also tried to sink one of the legendary ships and I died instantly. Very challenging even if you upgrade your boat a lot.
  • I bought GTA V just over a week ago and I just finished the story mode and it was amazing! I think I'll download the year of the Snake DLC for Sleeping Dogs now.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Great review, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7! I still struggle somewhat with figuring out if I should get the game or not. I love the previous two, have played them often, but I keep hearing things about Origins, things your confirm by the way, that keep me from buying it.

I remember how shockingly disappointed I have been with 'third' games so far. F.E.A.R³ and Max Payne 3 are the best examples. I find myself playing them for the sake of completism, but that's hardly the way to do it.

So with Origins, I'd hate to experience another let-down. Especially the part of the challenges you describe.
    @DarthDimi, I thought I was the only one who was massively disappointed with 'Max Payne 3'! I anticipated it for all those years, finally got it, and it just lacked the beauty and addictiveness that the previous two had.
    @Creasy47 I was also also disappointed with MP3. I felt extremely underwhelmed by game's end.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    For me, MP3 was a movie, and one I didn't particularly like. Oh yeah and here and there you get to do some playing yourself. Two minutes or so before the next quarter of an hour of cut scenes starts. Not to mention how delicately one has to follow the game's script. You must go left for if you go right, you get shot. Something like that. By the way, @Creasy47 and @WillyGalore, am I going crazy or did Max sometimes die from bullets that seemingly came from nowhere? Take half a step back and bang! Game over. Huh? Not a shooter in sight! (Which is actually kind of weird in this game since shooting is all one ever does. At least in MP2 we had a few funny moments with Big Head Vinnie or Mona's funhouse or even the police station. MP3 takes me on a Red Bull / steroids ride. That is, as mentioned before, during those brief moments I actually get to do something myself.)

MP and MP2 were two of the very best video games I ever played. They were clever, had a great story and a powerful setting. I love this NY mobster thing that they did. Suddenly, with MP3, we're South of the border. It felt so wrong, so unlike anything MP, so alienating. As for Max, he was never very happy but he's so bitter and cynical, suicidal even in this game, I don't like him. I don't like being him. That's rather problematic in a video game. And the cut scenes keep showing me things I hate. I hate the choices he makes. Little I can do about that though because, despite it being a video game, I essentially get to watch rather than play and make the calls myself.

Bottom line, MP3 is to MP and MP2 what I Know Who Killed Me is to The Terminator and Terminator 2: something entirely different, something entirely disconnected, something I didn't ask for and something I don't particularly like.

I don't care if they sew Gognitti's head back on his body and reanimate it or if they bring up another twin sister of Mona, but if there's ever a fourth MP game, I want them to ignore MP3, pretend it was all a bad dream, and continue in NW with Max versus funny mobsters.