Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

• Generations (1994) was good but it didn't have the original crew, apart from a curious cameo appearance by Chekov, Scott and Kirk himself, in which the latter dies. Not even sure what they were doing there as it all should of finished off nicely with The Undiscovered Country, but it appears they were there just to ease Stewart and the new faces into their new positions on the Enterprise

I don't bother watching anything beyond this and up to Deep Space Nine and beyond for example. Star Trek is Captain Kirk and the original crew. I basically fail to recognize anything on from that
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    chrisisall wrote:
    Generations was a by-committee/studio mandate clusterfart. [-(

Yep, could have killed the movie franchise if it hadn't been for First Contact saving it.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 204
    If I'm being honest, I believe ST V: The Final Frontier is the QoS of the feature film series, thoroughly underrated and misunderstood. I watched it on blu-ray and I have to say it's nowhere even close to being as bad as people say and in many ways a spiritual successor to ST : IV The Voyage Home. Character wise, there's something great about the banter between Spock, McCoy and Kirk this three old buddies just kicking it. Aesthetically it's a bit jarring with the reuse of alot of the TNG corridors and sets, and the neon lighting in the Jefferies tubes and shuttle bays are so 90's it hurts ... It's a shame with some of the special effects but it is in no way the worst. I'm shocked I'm even saying this, but Insurrection is the worst of the films in my opinion, mainly because Jerry Goldsmith let me down with his soundtrack and because I don't feel Data dying served anything much in the same way as Trip dying on Enterprise (a.k.a Star Trek : Trip - since almost every other episode seemed to revolve around him) served anything.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I'm shocked I'm even saying this, but Insurrection is the worst of the films in my opinion, mainly because Jerry Goldsmith let me down with his soundtrack and because I don't feel Data dying served anything much in the same way as Trip dying on Enterprise (a.k.a Star Trek : Trip - since almost every other episode seemed to revolve around him) served anything.
    I guess you mean Nemesis, and yeah, I quite agree.

How about a little discussion (in the most respectful terms) about Star Wars vs. Star Trek?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    0013 wrote:
    How about a little discussion (in the most respectful terms) about Star Wars vs. Star Trek?

That could get its own thread, and most of it wouldn't be very respectful. There are some people out there who are strictly Star Wars, some strictly Trek. I lie in the first category, but I do like Star Trek.
    Star Trek, Star Wars, Galactica, Firefly- it's all good.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I used to think of myself as solely a Star Wars fan, owning the VHS trilogy and various toys/models. I only remember seeing bits and pieces of Star Trek on TV as a young fellow. However, having TNG/Voyager/DS9 back on TV has allowed me to take more interest in the Star Trek universe, and I've discovered why it's so great (long overdue, I know). I have TOS, but am yet to watch it. So far, my favourite series is TNG. I love the cast, and the messages are powerful. Excellent writing, indeed. I'm also enjoying Voyager. I've been trying to get into DS9, but so far it hasn't brought the suspense that TNG provides. My friend tells me that DS9 gets better after the first season, so that's something to look forward to. I've also watched the films which came after TNG (only seen them once each- so I cannot rate them just yet). My next mission is to watch TOS, followed by films I-VI.

I cannot say whether I like Star Wars or Star Trek more- both universes are compelling. I grew up with SW, but with only so much of it to watch compared to ST, my interest in ST has more longevity. Looking forward to the new films from both franchises.
  • @QBranch If you have the original series available, I suggest you get involved with viewings as soon as you are able. I own most myself, and there are some truly epic adventures to get involved in, and seen with some aforementioned titles in previous responses

When people watch, It could well be to do with different eras, for different ages. Some of the older ones will take TOS over Deep Space Nine and some of the younger amongst us, or even as a whole, will favor the latter or even Next Generations than the original set-up

I never was one for Star Wars. Yes they're similar of course, but Trek is Space exploration, and Wars is Space shoot-em up and battles, at least that's how I see it. I won't be watching the new releases, as say what you like, I think what they present today, is something I fail to recognize with what they've done to the series or names themselves. I don't want to see favorite characters such as Kirk, Spock and crew, portrayed by some kids who simply won't be able to capture anything of how it was before, and maybe it shouldn't have been attempted again. 'Into Darkness' is a good choice for a title, but as with most film franchises outside of Bond now, maybe they're releasing one title too many these days. In danger of spoiling the name a little ? I don't know. Just not 100 per cent happy with what they're doing, that's all
    @QBranch If you have the original series available, I suggest you get involved with viewings as soon as you are able. I own most myself, and there are some truly epic adventures to get involved in, and seen with some aforementioned titles in previous responses
    Good idea. I'll, um, make it so! :P
  • Sorry I was just falling asleep. What's going on ? Did they find Private Ryan ?

Only to add, be sure to get the movie releases that go with it with the original cast, that were released in theaters between 1979 - 91. No need to stop at #4 (The Voyage Home) if I read it right, but you'd do better to skip that one altogether and just go with The Final Frontier and The Undiscovered Country. Then take in Generations and get ready for Picard and the new faces, but it was something I never really got used to. It was original cast or nothing I always felt

Goodnight
  • chrisisall wrote:
    I'm shocked I'm even saying this, but Insurrection is the worst of the films in my opinion, mainly because Jerry Goldsmith let me down with his soundtrack and because I don't feel Data dying served anything much in the same way as Trip dying on Enterprise (a.k.a Star Trek : Trip - since almost every other episode seemed to revolve around him) served anything.
    I guess you mean Nemesis, and yeah, I quite agree.

Yes, my bad I meant Nemesis!
    SkyTrek_zps18a527bd.png
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Well, Q's got a weird look on his face, but Craig doesn't look out of place at all in that TNG uniform.
    diana-rigg-mirror-universe.jpg
    Hehe Oh how nice is this? :D
    ENTERPRISE EXCLUSIVE: In The Beginning With Brannon Braga
    Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/scifimediazone/news/?a=75808#QpbpE7IFwXt3Zh6P.99
  • bondsum wrote:
    star-trek-2-into-darkness-zachary-quinto-chris-pine-ew.jpg

Kirk: "Spock, have you noticed... strange lights... on your chest?"
    Spock: "Most curious, Captain. It seems illogical that these lights seem to be effecting me, but largely ignoring you."
    Kirk: "I think... J.J. Abrams... Spent most of the budget... on the lights."
    Spock: "That seems to be the most likely outcome."

The lights are actually scannable codes...it's something he did with the first film as well on the bridge...scan them in with your phone see what comes up...
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Just seen the new trailer to this and it looks amazing. Cumberbatch is going to steal the show as one of the best villains in a cinema blockbuster. Summer movies this year are looking to be pretty epic.
    New trailer looks good ,i still think Cumberbatch a future James Bond.
    Fav Star Trek episodes devil in the dark, what little girls are made of, the cage and where no man has gone before .To be honest could have named a lot more.
    I too saw the new trailer and it look incredible. Can't wait to go to the cinema in my new costume. :D
    Looks like fun; I'll be there.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    Alice...Eve.
  • She stole the trailer....

John Harrison character has got to be related to Kirk...that's the twist it's got to be...no need for spoilers here that's just my view.

It does look like a stunning movie to watch...too much batman influence going on for my likeness too much darkness - let's see anyway...still haven't forgiven JJ for wiping out the entire ST history for a sake of an easily written reboot. A bit of a cop out.
  • Just seen the latest trailer for the new film. Looks very promising. Gonna be booking tickets to see that at the cinema.
    A bit of a cop out.
    A bit?
    :-< :))
    So looking forward to seeing this! Looks awesome! Roll on the release date! \:D/ <:-P :-bd
    Bump! ^_^

My favorite Spock moment.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    Murdock wrote:
    Bump! ^_^

The Undiscovered Country is a forgotten classic. This is the best one I really could show to my little brother because you can't exactly show Wrath of Khan, First Contact or Star Trek 09 to a 6 year old, can you?
    Murdock wrote:
    Bump! ^_^

What a FINE final 1701 movie.
    edited March 2013 Posts: 16,332
    The Undiscovered Country is a forgotten classic. This is the best one I really could show to my little brother because you can't exactly show Wrath of Khan, First Contact or Star Trek 09 to a 6 year old, can you?

I don't know about this one to show to 6 year old. When I first saw it, the Assassination of Gorkon scene was pretty shocking. I'd maybe start with The Voyage Home.