Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

• I take this opportunity to ask some of the above for their favorite episode from the original series

Some that immediately come to mind would be 'Let that be your last Battlefield', with the two survivors picked up intent on trouble, and Kirk and crew threaten to self destruct The Enterprise (something that actually went ahead in 1984's The Search For Spock), and it's a very good episode, and I also thought of 'The Way to Eden' with the party in search of paradise - "Get down from there you fool!" - and 'The Tholian Web'- which is one of my all time favorites they did, and can never look away for a minute. Also have to mention, 'Charlie X', and 'The Trouble with Tribbles'

I am simply unable to watch the latter with a straight face
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I, like probably 90% of the world, loved "Trouble with Tribbles" (I also loved it's DS9 tribute episode). "Balance of Terror" was a favorite of mine. "The Menagerie" (both parts) is probably the only episode I like that my father and brothers don't. "A Piece of the Action" was good. Who can hate the goatees of "Mirror, Mirror"? I've never actually understood why it is I like "The Menagerie" but not "The Cage". I love Wrath of Khan, but don't like "Space Seed". There's just certain things about my love for Star Trek that I don't understand.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited February 2013 Posts: 16,330
    For me, I love "I,Mudd" It's a fun silly episode. "The Galileo Seven" Good tense episode with Spock taking command of a landing party and having to deal with incompetent officers. "The Man Trap" Absolute favorite of mine. Similar to sci-fi B-Movies of the 50's. "The Doomsday Machine" and "Amok Time" fill in the rest. My least favorite episodes are Assignment:Earth (A backdoor pilot show which very well could have been how TOS ended) and Turnabout Intruder(The last episode of the series sadly.)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I for one love TMP. I agree it's perhaps not in the same boat as the rest of the bunch but this is Star Trek's very own 2001: A Space Odyssey, and being the latter's fan that I am, I couldn't possibly dislike TMP. ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I for one love TMP. I agree it's perhaps not in the same boat as the rest of the bunch but this is Star Trek's very own 2001: A Space Odyssey, and being the latter's fan that I am, I couldn't possibly dislike TMP. ;-)

TMP isn't a bad movie. I consider it the TOS series finale. Then Wrath of Khan the reboot for the TOS film series. :)
    TMP is a pure scifi movie with a very interesting theme, which got a chance because of Gene Roddenberry wanting his ST to be scifi heavy.

TWOK is a total reboot and is brilliant on his own merits (like ALien & Aliens).

I do admit liking the Genesis trilogy a lot, ST V lack the finances to have great finale and ST VI is farewell to classic Star Trek with my favorite crew. That bald guy was kind of okay sometimes and the only other series I liked was DS9, after the 1st season and before the last season.

Did enjoy the new trek and undoubtely will go and see the new one.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited February 2013 Posts: 17,691
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Yes, definitely!
    Among my favourite episodes are: The Doomsday Machine, The Naked Time, The Omega Glory, Shore Leave, The City On The Edge Of Forever, Mirror, Mirror, Amok Time, Elaan of Troyius, The Immunity Syndrome, Journey to Babel.... I'd better stop. :))
    My favourite movies are TMP, TVH & TUC, but I love 'em all!!

And I thank the gods themselves for the remastered TOS Trek with the new FX!!!
    I love the story arc from Wrath of Khan - Undiscovered Country, they feel like a continuing adventure, with all the references to Spock having died in Khan etc and the whole ageing process that runs through all of these films.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I love Undiscovered Country's commentary on the end of the Cold War.
    edited February 2013 Posts: 17,691
    chrisisall wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Are you sure there are not any other episodes of Star Trek: TOS with scenes such as the one I describe in my article on The Bondologist Blog?

I'm sure. I know Star Trek TOS like the Pope knows the Bible. :)>-
    This is the part where I get to wipe a whole lot of egg off my face...
    Dragonpol wrote:
    I've just updated the Star Trek reference in my long article to make it more accurate!
    You'll need to change it again slightly...
    The episode is "Court Martial"- Kirk & Finney are fighting in Engineering, and Finney grabs a big silver-coloured standard 20th Century wrench off a small platform & swings it at Kirk, who dodges and wins the fight anyway, so a little different than you remember, but definitely a WRENCH. /:)
    Sorry for my bad... :\">
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I'm actually watching "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier" right now, it just started. I've never seen this one before and I hear it's not very good but I'm giving it a go anyway.

My ranking out of the ones I have seen:
    1. Star Trek (2009)
    2. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
    3. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn (It's decent but overrated)
    4. Star Trek The Motion Picture
    5. Star Trek III: The Search For Spock (I've only seen a little bit of this movie)

I'll update this list once I've finished "The Final Frontier".
    I'm dying to hear what you thought!
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 7,653
    I think ST V has a lot going for it especially the characterisation and the friendship of the 1st crew of the Enterprise. And for me that is the greatest strength of the TOS.

The ending is a bit Meh and could have used some money for effects to make it more interesting.
    Star Trek 5 trivia: The part of Sybok was written for Sean Connery. He was unavailable, however, so the role went to the eventual actor who played Sybok. The Godlike deity that Sybok is looking for was then named Sha Ka Ree (or however the hell you spell it), named after Sean Connery.
    Star Trek 5 trivia: The part of Sybok was written for Sean Connery. He was unavailable, however, so the role went to the eventual actor who played Sybok. The Godlike deity that Sybok is looking for was then named Sha Ka Ree (or however the hell you spell it), named after Sean Connery.

Shpock! Wesh got to find god! :))

Murdock wrote:

Shpock! Wesh got to find god! :))

It's very easy to speak Trek talk with a Connery accent.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    edited February 2013 Posts: 1,812
    chrisisall wrote:
    I'm dying to hear what you thought!

Well here you go!

1. Star Trek (2009)
    2. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
    3. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
    4. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
    5. Star Trek The Motion Picture
    6. Star Trek III: The Search For Spock

To be honest I wasn't sure if this one was better than "The Wrath of Khan". I know it's taboo to not have 'Khan' in first, or at least second, place. For years I heard how great 'Khan' was and by the time I got around to watching it, it didn't live up to my expectations. It's one that I will watch again and hopefully I will have a better viewing the second time around.
    As for "The Final Frontier", I actually had low expectations, because I heard mostly bad things, and ended up liking it. As someone mentioned above, one of the best parts were the characters and the friendship between them.

Whaoh, high praise indeed for Shatner's efforts. And if it's any comfort to you, I think Wrath of Khan is like Goldfinger, that is, not quite as good as its rep.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Whaoh, high praise indeed for Shatner's efforts. And if it's any comfort to you, I think Wrath of Khan is like Goldfinger, that is, not quite as good as its rep.

However, Wrath of Khan is far more deserving than Goldfinger.
  • the best obviously the remake by j.j. abrams
  • @Qsassistant the original motion picture is the known worst star trek ever while search for spock is second best
    warnertt wrote:
    @Qsassistant the original motion picture is the known worst star trek ever while search for spock is second best

If Anything Generations is the worst.
    Murdock wrote:
    I concur!
    Mr. Shatner should have let The Undiscovered Country be his final turn as Kirk IMO.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    I concur!
    Mr. Shatner should have let The Undiscovered Country be his final turn as Kirk IMO.

If you've read "Up Till Now" He regretted appearing in it. It was literal Character Assassination as Rick Berman and Ron Moore IIRC hated TOS so they came up with this Kirk meets Picard scenario only to kill him off. However the Beginning of Generations was okay. But leading into the TNG portion kills the film. Nothing against TNG but aside from First Contact. there films were bad. I'll watch ST V 100 times over generations.

I'm glad Nimoy and Kelley didn't appear in it like they originally were supposed too. But I wished all the TOS cast turned it down.
    Murdock wrote:
    If you've read "Up Till Now" He regretted appearing in it. It was literal Character Assassination as Rick Berman and Ron Moore IIRC hated TOS so they came up with this Kirk meets Picard scenario only to kill him off.
    I haven't read that, but it's good to hear.
    Murdock wrote:
    Nothing against TNG but aside from First Contact. there films were bad.
    I really like Insurrection as a long & big TNG episode, though!
    Murdock wrote:
    I'll watch ST V 100 times over generations.
    Again, I concur!
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    If you've read "Up Till Now" He regretted appearing in it. It was literal Character Assassination as Rick Berman and Ron Moore IIRC hated TOS so they came up with this Kirk meets Picard scenario only to kill him off.
    I haven't read that, but it's good to hear.
    Murdock wrote:
    Nothing against TNG but aside from First Contact. there films were bad.
    I really like Insurrection as a long & big TNG episode, though!
    Murdock wrote:
    I'll watch ST V 100 times over generations.
    Again, I concur!

Insurrection...to me is at the watchable level of The Final Frontier, It's okay but doesn't have much Rewatch value.
    Any trek fans get this?
    tosboxset.jpg
    I did and I'm enjoying it. :)
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 232
    Murdock,

I don't know where you could get the idea Moore had anything but undying love for TOS. Now whether he could do it and them justice ... that's a whole other issue. But I think you may be confusing Moore with Braga, who hadn't even seen TOS and thought Zefram Cochrane was a girl.

I pitched to TNG for about 50 painful minutes back in 1991 and Moore was totally on his game even back then, spotting my veiled references to TOS and even trying to improve one of my pitches so that Jeri Taylor would buy it (but instead she just kept saying, 'Picard wouldn't do that') ... funny, since one of my pitches was essentially HENRY IV pt 2, which I found out a couple months later is Patrick Stewart's favorite play. Would have had Wesley partying hard like Prince Hal, with a Falstaff like guy I imagined Brian Blessed would have played, with PIcard basically being the Gielgud role in CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT (the welles film adaptaing several shakespeare plays, mainly HEN IV 2)

howzat for a helluva digression?
    trevanian wrote:
    Murdock,

I don't know where you could get the idea Moore had anything but undying love for TOS. Now whether he could do it and them justice ... that's a whole other issue. But I think you may be confusing Moore with Braga, who hadn't even seen TOS and thought Zefram Cochrane was a girl.

I pitched to TNG for about 50 painful minutes back in 1991 and Moore was totally on his game even back then, spotting my veiled references to TOS and even trying to improve one of my pitches so that Jeri Taylor would buy it (but instead she just kept saying, 'Picard wouldn't do that') ... funny, since one of my pitches was essentially HENRY IV pt 2, which I found out a couple months later is Patrick Stewart's favorite play. Would have had Wesley partying hard like Prince Hal, with a Falstaff like guy I imagined Brian Blessed would have played, with PIcard basically being the Gielgud role in CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT (the welles film adaptaing several shakespeare plays, mainly HEN IV 2)

howzat for a helluva digression?

Well I know Braga and Moore wrote Generations that's where that idea came from. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I wasn't sure hence why I used IIRC when I was referring to Moore.
    Generations was a by-committee/studio mandate clusterfart. [-(