Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I recently got this gem.
    tosboxset.jpg
    15 CD's loaded with unreleased music and even new never before heard stuff.

Worth every penny. :)
    More images from the new Trek movie courtesy of Entertainment Weekly...

star-trek-2-into-darkness-chris-pine-ew.jpg
    star-trek-2-into-darkness-benedict-cumberbatch-ew.jpg
    star-trek-2-into-darkness-zoe-saldana-ew.jpg
    star-trek-2-into-darkness-zachary-quinto-chris-pine-ew.jpg

http://collider.com/star-trek-2-into-darkness-movie-images/#more-230606
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    bondsum wrote:
    star-trek-2-into-darkness-zachary-quinto-chris-pine-ew.jpg

Kirk: "Spock, have you noticed... strange lights... on your chest?"
    Spock: "Most curious, Captain. It seems illogical that these lights seem to be effecting me, but largely ignoring you."
    Kirk: "I think... J.J. Abrams... Spent most of the budget... on the lights."
    Spock: "That seems to be the most likely outcome."
    Benedict Cumberbatch Is Khan! Entertainment Weekly Spoils STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS Secret
    read more at : http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=73917
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN? Really? Awesome! 2 Star Trek 2's with Khan!
    Images looking awesome for this! :-bd
    First Benedict Cumberbatch is Khan, then Gary Mitchell then "John Harrison" Now Khan again. MAKE UP YOUR MINDS Paramount. I call BS on the whole thing. Simon Pegg said Kahn isn't in it. then Karl Urban said he was Gary Mitchell then Benedict Cumberbatch was revealed to be John Harrison. I think EW is just making a publicity stunt. I'm just waiting till I see the movie. I really hope it's not Space Seed redone. 8-|
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited February 2013 Posts: 17,687
    Big giant fan of Star Trek here, and as such, I'll have a bit of fun comparing Trek & Bond:

Trek the original series (three seasons) is like DN, FRWL, & GF.
    Star Trek : The Motion Picture is like TB.
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan is like OHMSS.
    Star Trek III: The Search For Spock is like TMWTGG.
    Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home is like TSWLM.
    Star Trek V: The Final Frontier is like NSNA.
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country is like TLD.
    ;)
    Question: Which movie is your favourite?
    I love the science fiction of TMP, and the action in Khan, but the sheer character of Voyage Home is so endearing! In the end, Undiscovered Country rules for me as a stand alone Star Trek movie.
    Thoughts? Mind melds?
  • I tried to do a copy of the above, but found nearly every comparison was with Moonraker - it's in space for crying out loud - what else could be used

My favorite of the releases is The Wrath of Khan, and probably the most serious and violent with the original crew. I never really took to Patrick Stewart and the Generations cast

Did you know Persis Khambatta was shortlisted to be main Bond girl for For Your Eyes Only, but the part when to Carole Bouquet in the end. Apologies if already mentioned but I'm losing focus now as sleep takes over

Some will be aware of two Star Trek threads, but whenever I looked through the other, there's little or no mention of the original cast with Shatner, Nimoy, Kelley and Nichols etc. You can't talk about Star Trek with the omission of those great names, it's just not logical. It's Just mainly focusing on the next release, that I won't be watching as I can't appreciate modern day movies for these kinds of things now

This thread was especially for the original series from 1966 - 69 that I remember and subsequent movie releases with the said original crew from 1979 - 91, and even then there was room for discussion with some of the Generations releases. I don't like what they've done to the franchise now, so I'm happy with past Star Trek and others can have their new Trek and discussions, and everyone's happy. Seems fair enough
    Thanks to TOS R (The Original Series Remastered) I caught playing at night back in 07 I was introduced to the lovely gem that is Star Trek. It's theme, It's characters, It's style and feel. It appealed to me. I stayed up on weekends to 3AM to watch it. Then I found out my local library had it on DVD. :)) When I was young the 24th Century trek era (TNG/DS9/Voyager) and Enterprise never really sparked my interest. TOS trek is what I watch and enjoy the most. I'm happy to see most of the of the original cast alive and well. Nearly 50 years later, they are still legends. :)
    Some will be aware of two Star Trek threads, but whenever I looked through the other, there's little or no mention of the original cast with Shatner, Nimoy, Kelley and Nichols etc.
    The other thread is about that insanely-expensive fanfic movie series by JJ Abrams. :-B
  • Worth mentioning while we're here that on New Years Day I saw The Search for Spock and The Voyage Home back to back. The first is good, but not great, but self destruction of the Enterprise was a bit too much or unnecessary, Christopher Lloyd makes for a good Klingon commander, and Nimoy does a decent directing debut, but the other is a boring non-sensical 'save the whales' idea in San Francisco that is a disaster from start to finish. At least it got back to basics and redeemed itself with the decent Final Frontier in 1989, although the 'search for god' was equally stupid. But at least, it was (back) in it's rightful place - in space - and there was some decent action this time
    the other is a boring non-sensical 'save the whales' idea in San Francisco that is a disaster from start to finish.
    *attempts virtual neck pinch*
    :))
  • I should of thought about that damn movie when we won the Super Bowl last weekend. That'll be some payback for that awful release

Say what you like Sir, but it's a terrible movie. The black sheep of the motion picture releases
    Say what you like Sir, but it's a terrible movie. The black sheep of the motion picture releases
    A Spock's Brain upon you, sir!
  • I can't tell if you're in agreement or just being belligerent. I suggest we continue discussions at a more reasonable hour. Once again, it's a poor release and as relevant to Star Trek as Oliver Hardy would be to the Navy SEALs

Goodnight :-<
    I can't tell if you're in agreement or just being belligerent.
    The latter.
    There is a lot wrong with STIV, but what it gets more right than any other film is the characters. Great dialogue, witty repartee, a cool Kirk girl, a terrific ending....
    Not in space, bummer, no Enterprise, REAL bummer, a couple of too-silly moments, but overall very enjoyable IMO.
  • Murdock wrote:
    First Benedict Cumberbatch is Khan, then Gary Mitchell then "John Harrison" Now Khan again. MAKE UP YOUR MINDS Paramount. I call BS on the whole thing. Simon Pegg said Kahn isn't in it. then Karl Urban said he was Gary Mitchell then Benedict Cumberbatch was revealed to be John Harrison. I think EW is just making a publicity stunt. I'm just waiting till I see the movie. I really hope it's not Space Seed redone. 8-|

Agreed, think khan should be left alone. Appears to be alot of smoke screen regarding the main villain, really hoping its Mitchell.
    I love "The Voyage Home" It's the comedy Star Trek film. after two films of dark grimness, it was time to go to the other side of the court that made Trek equally great. It's good humor and story without a central villain plot. It really gave the other cast members besides William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy to flex there acting muscles a bit. Sure it can be a bit preachy at times but look on the bright side. Humpbacks are no longer endangered...I believe.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Recently bought The Wrath of Khan in a moment of weakness, still have to see it. I think that it was based on the episode 'Space Seed' where Khan originally featured!
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Recently bought The Wrath of Khan in a moment of weakness, still have to see it. I think that it was based on the episode 'Space Seed' where Khan originally featured!

It's the sequel to the episode. :D

edited February 2013 Posts: 17,787
    Do any of the Trekkers/Trekkies know which episode of Star Trek: The Original Series I refer to in this article:

"Amis also made reference to how easily the submarine crews being held prisoner in the ‘brig’ of the Liparus were set free and were able to raid the ship’s armoury. This is a staple of spy and adventure films, however and is not solely unique to the film The Spy Who Loved Me. One is reminded of an episode of Star Trek: The Original Series where Captain Kirk (sometimes referred to as a portly James Bond) and another man are fighting in an engineering room aboard the USS Enterprise and there just so happens to be a large plumber’s wrench lying about with which Kirk can gain the advantage with in his hand-to-hand battle with his opponent. One suspects that the same type of “second-sight sportsmanship” applies in the prisoner escape and breaching of the control room in The Spy Who Loved Me, but as Amis says this fun Bondian romp can easily be forgotten about once it has been viewed, as it is rather hollow and soulless in nature."

http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/kingsley-amis-draxs-gambit-and-reform.html

I'm asking this as a longshot as I remember seeing this scene in an episode and I've no idea of its name - I've a best friend who's a big Star Trek fan!

I'd like to include the episode's title in my article for the sake of completeness!

Kudos to anyone who can come up with the answer.
    Murdock wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

It's the sequel to the episode. :D

Yeah, that's what I meant to say!
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Do any of the Trekkers/Trekkies know which episode of Star Trek: The Original Series I refer to in this article: Captain Kirk (sometimes referred to as a portly James Bond) and another man are fighting in an engineering room aboard the USS Enterprise and there just so happens to be a large plumber’s wrench lying about with which Kirk can gain the advantage with in his hand-to-hand battle with his opponent.

Well, it's "Space Seed", and it was not a large plumber's wrench, it was an anti-matter containment control bulk head pin lock that he unscrewed to use.
    edited February 2013 Posts: 17,787
    Shades of Dr. No with table ornament/Tee Hee in LALD film there with the crushing of Kirk's phaser/Bond's Walther PPK. Amazing how influenes zip in and out in popular culture, isn't it!

I'm not sure it was "Space Seed" - I distinctly remember a friend and I watching the episode - I was sure that there was a wrench just lying around in the engineering room for that purpose of "second-sight sportsmanship" and little else. Are you sure there are not any other episodes of Star Trek: TOS with scenes such as the one I describe in my article on The Bondologist Blog? "Space Seed" is so famous an episode, even I know it. Interestingly, I just bought The Wrath of Khan on DVD!

Of course, this episode does look like the one that I had in mind - so maybe I'm wrtong here. Memory is fallible, to say the least!
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Are you sure there are not any other episodes of Star Trek: TOS with scenes such as the one I describe in my article on The Bondologist Blog?

I'm sure. I know Star Trek TOS like the Pope knows the Bible. :)>-
    edited November 2013 Posts: 17,787
    chrisisall wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Are you sure there are not any other episodes of Star Trek: TOS with scenes such as the one I describe in my article on The Bondologist Blog?

I'm sure. I know Star Trek TOS like the Pope knows the Bible. :)>-

OK - I thought it looked somewhat familiar. I think that I may have "Space Seed" on video somewhere! Thanks for all of your help. I'll amend the article accordingly!

I've just updated the Star Trek reference in my long article to make it more accurate!
    chrisisall wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    I've just updateed the Star Trek reference in my long article to make it more accurate!
    In the four times I've visited, I found your articles nothing if not accurate!
    chrisisall wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    I've just updateed the Star Trek reference in my long article to make it more accurate!

Dragonpol wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

Well, thank you. Accuracy is my bench mark. I do hope you will visit the blog a few more times. There will be some treats in store in the future. Martin Amis replied to my Drax's Gambit post, unbelievably!