Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Murdock wrote:
    I don't know about this one to show to 6 year old. When I first saw it, the Assassination of Gorkon scene was pretty shocking. I'd maybe start with The Voyage Home.

Definitely.
  • My little one has discovered the box in the corner....I try to limit her to 30 mins a day but that's never going to work...she gets terrified with some Dora episodes...you forget their imagination at that age runs riot poor things....best leave it for another three years...for me books are still cool. Do they do junior star trek stuff?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    My little one has discovered the box in the corner....I try to limit her to 30 mins a day but that's never going to work...she gets terrified with some Dora episodes...you forget their imagination at that age runs riot poor things....best leave it for another three years...for me books are still cool. Do they do junior star trek stuff?

There's Star Trek: The Animated Series, so that might be good. And each episode (22 in total) is 30 minutes long, so that's in your time frame. :)
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 2,782
    Murdock wrote:
    My little one has discovered the box in the corner....I try to limit her to 30 mins a day but that's never going to work...she gets terrified with some Dora episodes...you forget their imagination at that age runs riot poor things....best leave it for another three years...for me books are still cool. Do they do junior star trek stuff?

There's Star Trek: The Animated Series, so that might be good. And each episode (22 in total) is 30 minutes long, so that's in your time frame. :)

Thought have that but it's still on the box and not a book, but thanks dude, I'd rather blood her in with the kirk and co when she's a bit older. the animated series did feature the original cast didn't it?
    Murdock wrote:

Thought have that but it's still on the box and not a book, but thanks dude, I'd rather blood her in with the kirk and co when she's a bit older. the animated series did feature the original cast didn't it?

Yes, Everyone except for Chekov. I consider it the last 2 years of the five year mission. :)
  • So thingy is going to be Khan's son from the Wrath of Khan, the son that was cut from the original film...how crazy....and how did he survive and what about the laws of time....my head is spinning
    So thingy is going to be Khan's son from the Wrath of Khan, the son that was cut from the original film...how crazy....and how did he survive and what about the laws of time....my head is spinning

What are you talking about?
    See Inside The Enterprise Of STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS
    Enterprise%20Bridge_Star%20Trek%20into%20Darkness_01.jpg

Enterprise%20Bridge_Star%20Trek%20into%20Darkness_03.jpg

Enterprise%20Bridge_Star%20Trek%20into%20Darkness_04.jpg

Enterprise%20Bridge_Star%20Trek%20into%20Darkness_05.jpg

Enterprise%20Bridge_Star%20Trek%20into%20Darkness_06.jpg

Enterprise%20Bridge_Star%20Trek%20into%20Darkness_07.jpg

Enterprise%20Bridge_Star%20Trek%20into%20Darkness_08.jpg
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited April 2013 Posts: 13,350
    It seems solid enough. Now all they need to do is not muck up the third and final one.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Sounds good. I'm looking forward to watching it.
    Dalton12 wrote:
    See Inside The Enterprise Of STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS
    Enterprise%20Bridge_Star%20Trek%20into%20Darkness_01.jpg

Enterprise%20Bridge_Star%20Trek%20into%20Darkness_03.jpg

Enterprise%20Bridge_Star%20Trek%20into%20Darkness_04.jpg

Enterprise%20Bridge_Star%20Trek%20into%20Darkness_05.jpg

Enterprise%20Bridge_Star%20Trek%20into%20Darkness_06.jpg

Enterprise%20Bridge_Star%20Trek%20into%20Darkness_07.jpg

Enterprise%20Bridge_Star%20Trek%20into%20Darkness_08.jpg

That set is amazing!!!! :O Roll on May when we finally get to see it!!!! \:D/ <:-P
    Chris Pine and Benedict Cumberbatch on the Graham Norton show friday night peeps! :-bd
    We all know that even numbered Trek films (Nemisis being the exception) are all very good. Undiscovered Country is a forgotten gem. It is a damned good movie and was a great sendoff for the original Trek characters.
    Kirk and McCoy in that Klingon prison
    The murder of Gorkin
    Kim Cattrall as a Vulcan
    Christopher Plummer as the main villain
    This movie has so many memorable moments and characters but is often overlooked and forgotten. I highly recommend it and yes, I think it is less violent than Wrath of Khan and less scary than First Contact.

Speaking of First Contact, didn't the Borg look so much more terrifying on the big screen than they ever looked on TNG?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Wrath of Khan was great.
    Undiscovered Country was awesome (and a great Cold War analog).
    I happened to like All Good Things, even though it was an odd-numbered Trek... wait... Oh, yeah, Movie Number Seven was Generations. Oops.
    First Contact was my favorite movie until Star Trek came out (and I'm sure that'll be surpassed by Into Darkness).
    Nemesis was good (I think), mainly because I liked the battle scenes near the end (Enterprise and 2 Romulan Warbirds vs. Shinzon's ship, c'mon, that was awesome).
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 2,341
    From what I understand, Gene Roddenbery was listed as a consultant for WRATH OF KHAN but they took very little and I mean little feedback from him. THE MOTION PICTURE was his brainchild and what a mess that was!
    Anyway, when Roddenberry saw the script for WRATH he fired off many angry memos to the producers. He did not like Spock dying, he hated the characterzations, and he really dispised the battle scenes between Enterprise and Reliant. I guess after flying bomber missions in WW2 he really was never a fan of any storyline that used battle scenes.
    Despite creating the phenomen Star Trek Roddenberry was not much of a writer. Some of the better eps were not written by him and with all his nasty notes on WRATH, this is the most beloved and many will argue THE BEST OF THE TREK FILMS.
    This is not a knock on Gene Roddenberry, he was a genius in many ways but the films were best served without him.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Roddenberry had problems with many parts of his franchise, and apparently tried to de-canonize TOS when TNG started carving its niche.
    We are well aware of the "Even Numbers never suck" in regards to Trek films but I am most interested in you all ranking the Odd numbered films. My vote goes to
    The Best: STAR TREK III SEARCH FOR SPOCK
    The Worst: Pick one: INSURRECTION or STAR TREK V

Actually Search for Spock is the only odd numbered film that I enjoyed. It came out in the summer of 1984 and went up against Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Gremlins, Ghostbusters, and a few other summer hits. It held it's own and is quite good.
    I enjoyed The Final Frontier and Generations, and The Motion Picture is decent. I do prefer Search for Spock to The Voyage Home, though.
    Undiscovered Country rocks, but I like 'em all to different degrees.
    Actually I did like Generations (number 7) but I did not like Insurrection and Final Frontier sucked anally. TMP was just a rehash of the season 2 episode, The Changeling. Fans deserved more and a better story. they spent too much on the sets, and uniforms and too little on story and director.
    None of them (odd numbered Treks) could hold a candle to Search for Spock
    I wish they would make a Seven of Nine movie...I miss pre jj trek
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    None of them (odd numbered Treks) could hold a candle to Search for Spock
    I really REALLY like that movie.
    Trek movies are harder to rate for me than Bond movies; I love 1,2,3,4,6, and I like 5 a lot, regardless of the dopey stuff & bad FX.
    But the movies after Undiscovered Country are all sort of just okay-to-meh for me.
    I do like the new timeline films but I do hope they will eventually return to original timeline. It can get a bit annoying when Hollywood decides to reboot everything and it can sometimes seem like a cheap way to just renew a series. But still looking forward to the new movie.
    We have Klingons - and they look mean, really mean and just nasty...no honor in these guys....JJ just go and rub your light sabre vigorously as you are destroying my Trek world.
    As far as Trek villains go, I was always surprised that in TNG the Klingons are at peace with the Federation (albeit shaky) while the Romulans remain on the outside.

Personally I always liked the Romulans and found them more endearing than the Klingon Empire. The Klingons had more episodes (TOS) devoted to them and their ruthlessness than the Romulans. Maybe the Powers to be just felt they were more interesting and made for better TV. I don't know.

I would compare the Klingons to Japan in the late 1800's to 1940's.
    While the Romulans were more like the Soviet Union from 1920-1991
    I'm certain the "peace with the Klingons" angle that TNG took was simply to put one on the bridge (and I'm glad they did, because Worf was cool). If the Romulans were the ones they were at peace with, there'd be another pointy-eared alien standing somewhere on the bridge of an Enterprise, and it would have been nearly the same as Spock.
    TNG Klingons went too far with the Honor and warrior angle and made them into a stereotype. TOS Klingons were the best.
    edited May 2013 Posts: 17,691
    Murdock wrote:
    TNG Klingons went too far with the Honor and warrior angle and made them into a stereotype. TOS Klingons were the best.
    I liked the Klingons in the movies the best- some TOS-like (Kruge), some more evolved (Gorkon).