Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

• edited May 2013 Posts: 388
    I'm not a big Star Trek fan (although I loved the last movie) but just thought I'd check in to say that I was walking through Leicester Square earlier during the build-up to the premiere. It was pandemonium (and really well done - they'd set up a huge Starfleet insignia in front of the Odeon.) Looks like it's going to be a massive film.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Looks like it's going to be a massive film.

Ohhhh yeah.
    Benedict Cumberbatch and Chris Pine on Graham Norton show tonight peeps!
    It is so interesting how no one complains of the Klingon different look in the films versus TOS. Perhaps due to budgets etc, they had to keep aliens "basic". Nevertheless, the movie Klingons were great and that is the way they should look.

Now at the risk of getting a bust in the chops from some fans:
    Wrath of Khan is a great film but there was a glaring plot flaw / glaring inconsistency that I am sure that all Trekkies spotted it the first time we saw the film. Funny but I find very few fans who mention or even talk of it but there it is in the most perfect and the most beloved of the Trek films. I am sure that Roddenberry complained at the time thatt the writers tried to sneak one past us. I doubt it escaped but fans never mention it. I want to be the first...

When Khan captures Chekov and Terrell, he says to Terrell, "I don't know you," then to Chekov, "I never forget a face Mr. Chekov".
    As most fans know "Space Seed" aired in Season I....Ensign Chekov did not join the crew until Season II ...

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Benedict Cumberbatch and Chris Pine on Graham Norton show tonight peeps!

I will try to catch it! I love Benedict.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    @OHMSS69 the running joke is that Chekov wasn't a bridge officer yet and he held up Khan from using the bathroom. :))
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Murdock wrote:
    @OHMSS69 the running joke is that Chekov wasn't a bridge officer yet and he held up Khan from using the bathroom. :))

I happen to believe it. After all, Chekov being in the restroom all of season one explains why we never saw him, because we never saw a restroom.

You guys are right. With over 400 crew members, Chekov could have been on any other level or deck in Season 1 and was later moved to bridge as helmsman. He may have supervised the security detail that was in charge of Khan prior to exile.
    Seeing the high mortality of "red shirts" he switched his specialty and moved to his new post on the bridge by Season 2...
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    You guys are right. With over 400 crew members, Chekov could have been on any other level or deck in Season 1 and was later moved to bridge as helmsman. He may have supervised the security detail that was in charge of Khan prior to exile.
    Seeing the high mortality of "red shirts" he switched his specialty and moved to his new post on the bridge by Season 2...

And plus Into Darkness has Chekov in a red shirt.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Saw Into Darkness yesterday and loved it! I think it was much better than the previous one. I went to a double feature/premiere and they showed the 2009 film first, which was actually fun to because the previous story was so fresh. There were people crying in Darkness, I'm not going to say why but all well that ends well. Benedict Cumberbatch has to be the highlight of the film, how amazing an actor he is!
    Plan on seeing this on Monday! Really looking forward to it! :-bd
    really depressed to find out that this movie only opens somewher in the beginning of June in my neck of the woods.
    Star-Wars-Star-Trek.jpg
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I've heard some great things about the action, and some mediocre things about the plot.
    I'll see it on DVD.
    Saw Into Darkness last night and loved every minute! The cast really got the characters down as there own now. Nothing felt like imitation. I loved all the references to classic Trek lore. It had things everyone would enjoy and it made me tear up in a few places. This is the Star Trek I know and love. and I was proud to wear my costume with my friend. :)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    It was a very good film indeed and I'm eager to see where they take it from here.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Dalton12 wrote:
    Star-Wars-Star-Trek.jpg

Sadly, I had to look at this picture twice to see what was wrong.
    Murdock wrote:
    Saw Into Darkness last night and loved every minute! The cast really got the characters down as there own now. Nothing felt like imitation. I loved all the references to classic Trek lore. It had things everyone would enjoy and it made me tear up in a few places. This is the Star Trek I know and love. and I was proud to wear my costume with my friend. :)

Did 'In To Darkness' have more, less or the same amount of action as the previous entry?
    Bounine wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

Did 'In To Darkness' have more, less or the same amount of action as the previous entry?

It had less action in it. More focus on story. But what Action there is, is exhilarating.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 2,598
    That's great to hear, thanks. I love action but too much in any film makes the movie to much on the dull side. The first one had too much. The original Star Trek films were more thrillers than action flicks.
    Bounine wrote:
    That's great to hear, thanks. I love action but too much in any film makes the movie to much on the dull side. The first one had too much. The original Star Trek films were more thrillers than action flicks.

Well without spoiling anything for you, I can tell you. To me ST: Into Darkness felt like a classic TOS episode.
    Cumberbatch is quite a phenomenon. I saw him in War Horse, and even before realising it was him it felt like he was eating up the screen, you just have to look at him. And he does the same in this film. Despite the cast really being at home in their roles, as @Murdock already pointed out, Cumberbatch´s presence still looms over them all. And all without face mask and breathing noises ;-).
    I found it a cute little nod that one of the first things
    we see John Harrison doing is dabble with laboratory equipment in finest Sherlock fashion
    ;-).
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 3,333
    According to @boldfinger I've included spoilers in my comments below so I've covered up part of it. Jeezus, I think these spoiler hunters are like modern day conspiracists, they see them in everything. But for you only @boldy...
    I saw it last weekend and although I enjoyed most of it, including the pointless Kirk demotion to First Officer then swiftly back to Captain again which felt like his story arc from the first movie, my enthusiasm began to quickly diminish as soon as Spock used his Galactic Skype call to Spock Prime for a quick solution. It was from this point that the movie turned and slowly began to gnaw at itself from the outside in. There are quite a few plot holes in this movie, which I won't go into for fear of upsetting those that haven't seen STID yet, but will add that they upset the break-neck fluidity of the story. There are plenty of eye-popping effects and tense set-pieces, but overall I came away feeling quite empty inside and had almost forgotten the movie by the time I was outside in the fresh air. Yes, it's big on spectacle but there's not much else to hold the thing together and elevate the movie to the pantheon of the greats as it borrows too heavily from The Wrath of Khan to be that.

Of course if you're not familiar with The Wrath of Khan then the big reveal and reference twists are lost on you. If you are familiar with the original then you might ask yourself why didn't the writers come up with something new. I thought the whole purpose of the reboot was to get out from under the weight of canon and do something fresh, but instead it just cribbed heavily from the Wrath of Khan in the 3rd Act but without the emotional punch that movie packed.

Let's hope the next one goes somewhere more interesting, though sadly we'll have a long wait if JJ wants to be in the director's chair again. Live long and prosper.
    @bondsum, for the sake of those who haven´t seen the movie yet, it would be courteous if you could use spoiler tags in your above post.
    I agree we (the Netherlands) do not get ST for another 2 to 3 weeks so do behave.
    2285622-box_apob.png
    I am guessing the next installment will not be directed by Abrams seeing as he is now involved in the Star Wars saga?
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I am guessing the next installment will not be directed by Abrams seeing as he is now involved in the Star Wars saga?

I think he'll have time to fit it in afterwards.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

I think he'll have time to fit it in afterwards.

But if he makes an amazing job of Episode VII? Then surely Disney won't wanna let him go will they?
    I'm sure he can come back to them for VIII if he wants to.