The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    So we getting a series, not a film? I'd rather a film, to be honest. It feels a bit of a let down.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    So we getting a series, not a film? I'd rather a film, to be honest. It feels a bit of a let down.
    I can understand that but there's a lot of possibilities with a TV series and it sounds like they'll making an active effort to celebrate all elements of the franchise which excites me :)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited January 2023 Posts: 23,544
    A bit let down myself. A 90-minute film, fleet, brisk and uncomplicated, with all the proper thrills in the right places, is all I've ever asked for in this series.

A TV series has potential, yes, but that includes the potential to expand and elevate F13 above and beyond something it simply isn't, or to bleed buckets of boredom as is the case with so many TV series that lose track of their ambitions after episode 2. Perhaps I don't feel like looking for yet another 10 or so hours to complete yet another obstacle course full of filler scenes that cover up any lack of exciting material.

Maybe I will love the TV series, though. Time will tell. But right now, I'd rather have had three good films than another TV series. Not everything is TV series material in my opinion.
    For the most part I really don't watch / care for TV, so it's definitely a disappointment for me. The concept of streaming services has never appealed to me is a big reason why.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

The series has been in the works for a while, from what I know. And I think they're looking at making another film on top of that at some point.
    For Jason fans this does feel like a slap in the face….

And again we have a Friday the 13th in October this year why can’t we have a film
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Maybe I'm in the minority here but I just couldn't care less about prequels, especially horror ones. What a way to suck out any and all remaining mystery and detail from a character and universe.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm in the minority here but I just couldn't care less about prequels, especially horror ones. What a way to suck out any and all remaining mystery and detail from a character and universe.

I'm with you, mate. Prequels can work in superhero stuff, or if the filmmaker built a big mystery in one film (e.g. X) that almost requires a deep investigation into what happened before (e.g. Pearl.) But absolutely nothing in the F13 series hints at treasures of untold events from the past that we absolutely have to explore to "get" why Jason goes after horny teens with a machete near the lake where his mom was decapitated.

If the point of a TV series is to "expand the mythology", I'm out. I hope they'll at least be smart enough to keep pulpy slasher material within the confines of pulpy slasher material. I'm not waiting for big Jungian analyses of all the people and events that brought us Sir Jason Voorhees Esq.

I mean, if we must do a TV series, at least let us do what Ash vs. Evil Dead did: short eps in rapid succession, honouring the original material, feeding the fans exactly what they've always enjoyed, and without hours of redundant dialogue. If one season amounts to 4 hours of delicious, bloodilicious, boobilicious and Jasonicious fun, I guess I'm fine with it. Anything even remotely as dull as the later seasons of The Walking Dead is a tedious celebration of boredom I wouldn't want my worst enemy to suffer.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Agreed about not explaining away the mystery of these things. I want to see the swan gliding on the lake, not its feet peddling frantically away through the mire. No ambiguity unexplained is counter-productive.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I think we dodged a bullet with the F13 film we almost had a few years back. First Elias was the killer, then Pamela, then Jason. :-??

You mention The Walking Dead, @DarthDimi. I gave up during the Negan storyline. This guy was such a piece of shit, he'd cuckold any man around him, and brag to their face. So it's obvious that everyone in his 'group' hates him. We are supposed to accept that no 3 people conspire to bring him down. Then he clashes with Rick's group, to put it mildly. Then as the episodes drag on, he's still alive. I gave up, eventually. The last thing I remember was
    Sasha's death.

I have heard the odd bit of TWD news, from time to time, and was surprised that it was still going.
    I think we dodged a bullet with the F13 film we almost had a few years back. First Elias was the killer, then Pamela, then Jason. :-??

You mention The Walking Dead, @DarthDimi. I gave up during the Negan storyline. This guy was such a piece of shit, he'd cuckold any man around him, and brag to their face. So it's obvious that everyone in his 'group' hates him. We are supposed to accept that no 3 people conspire to bring him down. Then he clashes with Rick's group, to put it mildly. Then as the episodes drag on, he's still alive. I gave up, eventually. The last thing I remember was
    Sasha's death.

I have heard the odd bit of TWD news, from time to time, and was surprised that it was still going.

That's my point exactly. I gave up around the same time then. TWD has become my prime example of shows that are a waste of time. Cut the seasons with Negan in half, and you'd still have little going on. If you have material for about 6 eps, then give us 6 and don't stretch things to 20+ eps.

Again, a F13 TV series is not what I asked Santa, but some shows work so I guess a TV series is still better than nothing. In any case, I hope we get x eps with high-quality material for x eps, not for only half of what they give us.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2023 Posts: 5,869
    It may just be cause we've been starved for so long but as I've mentioned above I think there's a lot of possibilities and I can't help but be positive. As someone who loves the mythology of the franchise and has enjoyed considering over the years how someone could possibly interpret the Pamela and Jason Voorhees dynamic in a slightly different way, I feel like a TV series is a perfect place to explore it all.

I also think, with Kevin Williamson and Adrienne King being involved, that the people behind this wanna create special and something that honours the franchise while doing that in a slightly different format which gives them a lot more breathing room.

Pamela is just too irresistible and I can see why someone would want to try and develop her, and again this format is the best place for it cause they can have their cake and eat it too because one film they would be limited to pick either Jason or Pamela. Not Elias, as we've learnt from the script that @MajorDSmythe has mentioned above.

But Pamela she started it all and I think that is sometimes forgotten underneath the mammoth that is Jason Voorhees and I'm sure we're gonna get more than our fair share of the classic Jason, although I'm more excited to see sack head Jason who I love and want to see done again before he gets the hockey mask.

But anyway, for now I'm really positive about this.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Plus, you know......Bryan Fuller is pretty good at what he does!
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Plus, you know......Bryan Fuller is pretty good at what he does!
    +1
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 6,844

The series has been in the works for a while, from what I know. And I think they're looking at making another film on top of that at some point.

Well, they did run the first Friday the 13th show concurrently with The New Blood and Manhattan, so there's nothing to say they won't roll out a film at the same time. That profile of Cunningham's did mention there was a 13th film planned for this year. @CraigMooreOHMSS, did you hear about an upcoming movie from any other source?

I too would prefer a film and am skeptical about how well a TV show would work for Friday the 13th for all the reasons already stated. Character development has never been a strength or a selling point of these films and to try to stretch the property out over a season or more of television runs the risk of going off-brand. For some reason I don't think we're about to get some Stranger Things-quality character development alongside Jason blood-bathing things up.

I'd rather have 90 minutes of the Friday the 13th we all know than 90 minutes of the Friday the 13th we all know padded out by 510 minutes of underdeveloped characters talking their way toward or around the illusion of a story arc. But who knows, maybe it'll be great.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

Ghostface chases Jenna Ortega and Hayden Panettiere across NYC in Scream VI first look

https://ew.com/movies/scream-vi-hayden-panettiere-jenna-ortega-first-look/

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F6%2F2023%2F01%2F17%2FScream-VI-011723-01.jpg
    image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F6%2F2023%2F01%2F17%2FScream-VI-011723-02.jpg
    image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F6%2F2023%2F01%2F17%2FScream-VI-011723-03.jpg
    image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F6%2F2023%2F01%2F17%2FScream-VI-011723-04.jpg
    image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F6%2F2023%2F01%2F17%2FScream-VI-011723-05.jpg
    image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F6%2F2023%2F01%2F17%2FScream-VI-011723-06.jpg
    Guys, I'm superthrilled. I loved Scream V to death, NPI. Looking forward to the next one. Besides, anything with Jenna, I'm there.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Guys, I'm superthrilled. I loved Scream V to death, NPI. Looking forward to the next one. Besides, anything with Jenna, I'm there.

I really wish I shared your sentiments, Dimi. I loved the first three growing up but have soured on the last two releases. They have their moments but it's all a bit too self-referential and meta for my tastes nowadays (which I guess isn't fair when the older films operated in that style too). Maybe I'm just a sour "old" man anymore. I'll still check this one out when I get the chance, maybe in theaters. It could be just unique and different enough to make me love it.

I really wish I shared your sentiments, Dimi. I loved the first three growing up but have soured on the last two releases. They have their moments but it's all a bit too self-referential and meta for my tastes nowadays (which I guess isn't fair when the older films operated in that style too). Maybe I'm just a sour "old" man anymore. I'll still check this one out when I get the chance, maybe in theaters. It could be just unique and different enough to make me love it.

I completely share your opinion when we are talking about S4. The fifth one, however, really impressed me in terms of acting, thrills, violence, ... I still call it the best slasher I've seen in the past 20 years. 😉 I had such good fun with number V.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I'm more excited for this film in comparison to the previous film. This time I feel like the directors have been let off the leash. I enjoyed Scream 5 but I do feel like it was too simple and too much of a retread of the original. I can understand why they did it but now going forward they can do something really fun with the franchise like they seem to be doing with VI.
    edited January 2023 Posts: 40,468
    I think people are loving V so much more than I did that I clearly need to give it a rewatch and see how I feel with a new look at it. Same thing with that Malignant film - I must revisit it to see if I find the magic in it like everybody else.
    I think people are loving V so much more than I did that I clearly need to give it a rewatch and see how I feel with a new look at it. Same thing with that Malignant film - I must revisit it to see if I find the magic in it like everybody else.

I have to admit that I went in with the lowest of expectations. That first scene with Jenna was, indeed, a retread of the original scene with Drew, but man was I impressed by the acting, music, and MPAA-defying level of aggression! That scene suddenly gave me a lot of hope for the film, and it delivered.

I have to admit that I went in with the lowest of expectations. That first scene with Jenna was, indeed, a retread of the original scene with Drew, but man was I impressed by the acting, music, and MPAA-defying level of aggression! That scene suddenly gave me a lot of hope for the film, and it delivered.

I think my issue sometimes is I take issue with something a certain installment does that other installments got away with. One of my issues with V was, after the reveal, realizing just how much Ghostface's stature absolutely did not line up with the killer(s), yet I'm sure the other ones were just as guilty of that.

Of course, that wasn't hugely detrimental to the film, and I can't even seem to put my finger on what all I didn't really like about this new one (wasn't crazy about a lot of the characters, at least), so I think a rewatch is firmly in order sometime soon.
    Maybe I'm not seeing things clearly anymore because of Jenna Ortega's charisma. 😊
    Maybe I'm not seeing things clearly anymore because of Jenna Ortega's charisma. 😊

You're in love and it's putting the blinders on you!
    https://deadline.com/2023/01/m3gan-2-release-date-1235226429/

Has anybody seen the first one? I'm tough to please with horror anymore but I've not cringed at a trailer the way I did with that one in a very long time. I legitimately couldn't believe it was a film someone paid to get made...and, of course, everyone seems to be loving it.

You're in love and it's putting the blinders on you!

I am. And it is. Just don't tell my wife. ;-)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

That's what I'm talking about!
    That actually looks real good. Ghostface is more like Jason here than a stealthy killer waiting in the wings, I feel. However, I really can't stand that new main girl, whatever her name is. She's awful with that line delivery and it instantly reminded me of how little I liked her character in the last one.
    Denbigh wrote: »

That's what I'm talking about!

It's a big yes from me. Also, there's a faint "Chi Chi Chi cha cha cha" at the end, almost like in the F13 films. 😉