The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    They are Ti Wests latest, right? I seem to have fallen off a bit on new Horror films (I can't remember the last one I watched). I did enjoy both House Of The Devil, and The Innkeepers, so i'll have to make an effort to see these too.

Indeed, they are, Major. X and Pearl are his latest creations, and so far they have impressed the hell out of many a horror fan.
    Love em both. So hard to pick, but I’d probably just say Pearl barely for Goth turning it up to 200 in her performance. I think X is probably the better traditional, crowdpleaser and throwback kind of horror, while Pearl is particularly character driven and a little more unique.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited December 2022 Posts: 5,869
    The other frustrating thing is "The Academy" recently tweeted about her performances in X and Pearl, and you know, as others have said, they're not going to nominate her. I'm aware that the people who decide don't run the Twitter but still...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The latest installment in the franchise, Scream VI, will receive its first, minute-long teaser trailer tomorrow:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3743587/scream-vi-official-sequel-title-unveiled-ahead-of-tomorrows-trailer-debut/
    I’ll have to check it out. My expectations are almost rock bottom since Sidney is gone, but hopefully they can make something good out of it still. It just won’t be the same.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I’ll have to check it out. My expectations are almost rock bottom since Sidney is gone, but hopefully they can make something good out of it still. It just won’t be the same.

The way they've been promoting the copious amount of gore has me instantly turned off and clearly demonstrates it's not aiming to be the sort of installment I want to see. Then again, I haven't been terribly impressed with the series in a long time so I guess that's no surprise. I'll still see it when I get the chance though.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I quite enjoyed the last one but I didn't come out of it hoping that they'd make another. It seemed like a solid way to finish everything off, and that is more than most horror series get.
    I agree with you guys. As in, I feel like the hype of extra extra gore will be a cheap way to try to fill the void, and 5 was a fine enough place to end it. I’d still have been fine with 4 being the last - a quite good and underrated entry IMO.
    Scream (V) is one of the best slasher experiences I've had in nearly 20 years. And if Jenna Ortega is back, well then so am I.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I think I'm more excited for this one than 5 because I feel the directors are gonna be unleashed and create something really perfect for the franchise but quite original. The fifth one relied on the original film a bit too much in my opinion.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited December 2022 Posts: 8,026
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I think I'm more excited for this one than 5 because I feel the directors are gonna be unleashed and create something really perfect for the franchise but quite original. The fifth one relied on the original film a bit too much in my opinion.

I think that was kind of the point, though. It was riffing on legacy sequels that do just that. Hell, just look at Maverick. It's basically the same as the first film, structurally. Talking about the genre as a whole has always been Scream's thing.

Although, it still makes sense. Legacy sequels come in with an almost slavish sense of respect to the original, then their respective sequels come along and up-the-ante in terms of violence and gore (see, Halloween Kills) and essentially undo the work. So maybe there's still themes there for them to explore.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited December 2022 Posts: 5,869
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I think that was kind of the point, though. It was riffing on legacy sequels that do just that. Hell, just look at Maverick. It's basically the same as the first film, structurally. Talking about the genre as a whole has always been Scream's thing.
    Oh for sure, I understood that and felt it made sense to do so, but I found it hard to really fully enjoy because I felt like it was relied on that too much, and all the new stuff wasn't exciting enough to get the right balance.

But anyway...

Fj8T2CRVUAEjfMB?format=jpg&name=large
    image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F6%2F2022%2F12%2F14%2FScream-VI-121322.jpg
    Well, that's a teaser, I guess.
    Nothing to take away from it one way or another. On paper though, no Sidney + over the top gore + NYC setting seems like a recipe of jumping the shark to me. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if this turns out to be a 6/10 or better for me.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    What is that, Ghostface Takes Manhattan?

And seeing the mask looking so weathered, is giving me Halloween / Halloween Kills / Halloween Ends vibes.
  • FoxRox wrote: »
    I agree with you guys. As in, I feel like the hype of extra extra gore will be a cheap way to try to fill the void, and 5 was a fine enough place to end it. I’d still have been fine with 4 being the last - a quite good and underrated entry IMO.

I wasn't the biggest fan of 5 myself and actually really did enjoy 4, so I would have been perfectly happy if the series had ended there. But I know the opposite is true for many fans in that they didn't care for 4 and did enjoy 5. I'm willing to give the next one a shot. With the Manhattan setting and Halloween-esque time-ravaged mask it looks like they might be starting to homage other horror series in more overt ways. Which could be a good thing. At this point, it wouldn't be the worst direction for them to take Scream over-the-top.
  • edited December 2022 Posts: 12,257
    Yeah, I was thinking the one way this film could work for me is perhaps a really wacky, one-off entry that just embraces a certain tone that works. I probably wouldn’t be able to help myself from enjoying it if it is like the final act of Jason Takes Manhattan for all of or most of the movie. I’ll definitely still try it at least, just setting low expectations.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    2023 is drawing to a close, and we didn't get the big news on the next Friday The 13th film. Who didn't see that coming?
    2023 is drawing to a close, and we didn't get the big news on the next Friday The 13th film. Who didn't see that coming?

It's frustrating, really, especially since Halloween whipped out 3 films in 4 years, two of which were seriously blocked by the pandemic. Even Hellraiser seems to be on the right track again, as is Scream. Meanwhile, newcomers such as Ti West's X series and Terrifier come out cheap to very positive reviews at a fast rate. Yet the houses of Jason and Freddy have been in virtual lockdown since 2010. It can't have anything to do with a lack of interest or talent. So what is it, then? Rights issues? Too many suits trespassing on the creative side of things? Budgetary complications? Surely, these films aren't too difficult to make since their target audiences are relatively easy to please, and with vastly fewer means than the next Star Wars or Bond. A bonafide F13 is like a pizza: the ingredients are well-known, readily available, and easy to use. Add a few olives on the top, and it's a guaranteed crowd-pleaser. So what's the matter? No cheese? The oven isn't working? Chef left too soon? Tell us already why we haven't gotten another F13 in nearly a decade-and-half. Same with ANOES. Even Netflix is beating them to it with its Fear Street series. Promiscuous teens near Crystal Lake, buckets of blood, and a big bloke with a machete: the script will write itself. Bloody hell, guys. I'm hungry for another F13, if only to give zombie Siskel the finger! 😎
    I’d love another classic Friday, I think there’s more to mine there than Halloween or Nightmare (the “big 3” in my mind; wouldn’t mind Nightmare permanently retired permanently personally). But it feels unlikely, and if it happens, probably won’t be the same.
  • The advantage that Halloween, Friday the 13th, and some other series have is that their main character wears a mask and can be played by anyone. Yes, Hodder brought a lot of personality to Jason through his physicality, but still those franchises can more easily rotate the actor behind the mask. Nightmare on Elm Street feels intrinsically tied to Robert Englund in the same way that Indiana Jones feels tied to Harrison Ford. I feel like you would really need some impeccable replacement casting or a complete reimagining to make future Nightmare films work.
    The advantage that Halloween, Friday the 13th, and some other series have is that their main character wears a mask and can be played by anyone. Yes, Hodder brought a lot of personality to Jason through his physicality, but still those franchises can more easily rotate the actor behind the mask. Nightmare on Elm Street feels intrinsically tied to Robert Englund in the same way that Indiana Jones feels tied to Harrison Ford. I feel like you would really need some impeccable replacement casting or a complete reimagining to make future Nightmare films work.

While I tend to agree, something like James Bond proves it can go on if done well enough. But yeah, I’m cool with Nightmare staying RIP. Englund is insurmountable. Not saying there can’t be good new ones, but it’d be very tricky. Hated the first attempt without him, though that had many issues other than the main actor too.
  • FoxRox wrote: »
    The advantage that Halloween, Friday the 13th, and some other series have is that their main character wears a mask and can be played by anyone. Yes, Hodder brought a lot of personality to Jason through his physicality, but still those franchises can more easily rotate the actor behind the mask. Nightmare on Elm Street feels intrinsically tied to Robert Englund in the same way that Indiana Jones feels tied to Harrison Ford. I feel like you would really need some impeccable replacement casting or a complete reimagining to make future Nightmare films work.

While I tend to agree, something like James Bond proves it can go on if done well enough. But yeah, I’m cool with Nightmare staying RIP. Englund is insurmountable. Not saying there can’t be good new ones, but it’d be very tricky. Hated the first attempt without him, though that had many issues other than the main actor too.

Yes, Bond proved an exception to that idea, though OHMSS was notoriously dismissed, even with John Barry and everyone else working on overdrive to sell the new Bond. They ultimately had to get a very popular TV spy into the role and go a very different direction with things in Live and Let Die...which could work for Nightmare, just totally revamping everything. But it would be a challenge. I never saw the Jackie Earle Haley attempt since the bad reviews dissuaded me, but I imagine it's everything you'd fear a Nightmare film would be without Craven and Englund. Without those two, I think you really do have to reinvent the wheel where Nightmare's concerned.

Yes, Bond proved an exception to that idea, though OHMSS was notoriously dismissed, even with John Barry and everyone else working on overdrive to sell the new Bond. They ultimately had to get a very popular TV spy into the role and go a very different direction with things in Live and Let Die...which could work for Nightmare, just totally revamping everything. But it would be a challenge. I never saw the Jackie Earle Haley attempt since the bad reviews dissuaded me, but I imagine it's everything you'd fear a Nightmare film would be without Craven and Englund. Without those two, I think you really do have to reinvent the wheel where Nightmare's concerned.

Actually, Haley did very well. The film simply made the mistake of being a remake of a film most fans had already seen countless times. They could have chosen the path of Halloween 2018: a requel. In any case, I thought that Haley was an asset and I wish we could have seen more of his Freddy.

I disagree that Freddy cannot have a future without Robert Englund. Sure he can. He is the ultimate supernatural boogeyman and new generations of fans--teens today--are not clinging to the image of Englund the way we are. A new Freddy is perfectly possible, one that we might like even. Of the three big ones, I want more Freddy the most myself. The right actor can bring us a new Freddy who isn't a copy of Englund. I still think that Freddy has the highest scare potential of the big three, though that is just a personal comment, of course. 😉
  • DarthDimi wrote: »

Actually, Haley did very well. The film simply made the mistake of being a remake of a film most fans had already seen countless times. They could have chosen the path of Halloween 2018: a requel. In any case, I thought that Haley was an asset and I wish we could have seen more of his Freddy.

I disagree that Freddy cannot have a future without Robert Englund. Sure he can. He is the ultimate supernatural boogeyman and new generations of fans--teens today--are not clinging to the image of Englund the way we are. A new Freddy is perfectly possible, one that we might like even. Of the three big ones, I want more Freddy the most myself. The right actor can bring us a new Freddy who isn't a copy of Englund. I still think that Freddy has the highest scare potential of the big three, though that is just a personal comment, of course. 😉

There's definitely a lot more room for creativity with Freddy with the ability to go into dream worlds and with the right director on board anything's possible. I never would have thought an Ash-less Evil Dead could work until Fede Álvarez proved me wrong.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

There's definitely a lot more room for creativity with Freddy with the ability to go into dream worlds and with the right director on board anything's possible. I never would have thought an Ash-less Evil Dead could work until Fede Álvarez proved me wrong.

I wish he could make the next Freddy flick. I'd be up for that.

It's frustrating, really, especially since Halloween whipped out 3 films in 4 years, two of which were seriously blocked by the pandemic. Even Hellraiser seems to be on the right track again, as is Scream. Meanwhile, newcomers such as Ti West's X series and Terrifier come out cheap to very positive reviews at a fast rate. Yet the houses of Jason and Freddy have been in virtual lockdown since 2010. It can't have anything to do with a lack of interest or talent. So what is it, then? Rights issues? Too many suits trespassing on the creative side of things? Budgetary complications? Surely, these films aren't too difficult to make since their target audiences are relatively easy to please, and with vastly fewer means than the next Star Wars or Bond. A bonafide F13 is like a pizza: the ingredients are well-known, readily available, and easy to use. Add a few olives on the top, and it's a guaranteed crowd-pleaser. So what's the matter? No cheese? The oven isn't working? Chef left too soon? Tell us already why we haven't gotten another F13 in nearly a decade-and-half. Same with ANOES. Even Netflix is beating them to it with its Fear Street series. Promiscuous teens near Crystal Lake, buckets of blood, and a big bloke with a machete: the script will write itself. Bloody hell, guys. I'm hungry for another F13, if only to give zombie Siskel the finger! 😎

Well there was the lawsuit, but that has now been settled (if splitting the rights between two warring individuals can be called 'settled'.

Off the top of my head, I don't even remember what studio owns Jason. First it was Paramount. They soled the rights to New Line after Jason Takes Manhattan's failure. New Line was the home of Jason for Jason Goes To Hell, Jason X and Freddy vs Jason. Platinum Dunes then picked the rights up for Friday The 13th (2009). Then the rights shifted back to Paramount, this had something to with a bidding war for a Christopher Nolan film. Paramount held the rights for 7 years or so, and failed to act on it. Following this, they then reverted back to New Line.

Well there was the lawsuit, but that has now been settled (if splitting the rights between two warring individuals can be called 'settled'.

Off the top of my head, I don't even remember what studio owns Jason. First it was Paramount. They soled the rights to New Line after Jason Takes Manhattan's failure. New Line was the home of Jason for Jason Goes To Hell, Jason X and Freddy vs Jason. Platinum Dunes then picked the rights up for Friday The 13th (2009). Then the rights shifted back to Paramount, this had something to with a bidding war for a Christopher Nolan film. Paramount held the rights for 7 years or so, and failed to act on it. Following this, they then reverted back to New Line.

That's about as confusing as trying to follow the real Fabergé egg around in OP. ;-) But yes, politics as usual. If any splitting-down-the-middle has to happen, let Jason himself do it. :-D
  • edited December 2022 Posts: 6,844

I wish he could make the next Freddy flick. I'd be up for that.

I'd love for any horror franchise to fall into his hands, but for the moment I'm pretty majorly stoked he's going to be doing the next Alien film.

On Friday the 13th, Cunningham "announced" there's a new one scheduled for next year and It producer Roy Lee suggested the same. The movie may not come out next year*, but I feel confident things are in the works.

*Then again, 2023 has a Friday the 13th in October. What better time, right?
    I thought the rumour was a for a 2023 release, and F13 films don't tend to take long to film, do they? I don't even know if they have a story ready this time around.