The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• Apparently, Cunningham had some "About" page that mentioned the 12 F13 films "with a 13th scheduled for next year," and Roy Lee said, "You may be hearing something by year’s end…on that front,” but that could just mean they'll begin filming next year.

But you're right, a F13 shouldn't take long to film and next October would seem an ideal time to release the 13th Friday the 13th.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I just hope Hodder gets a cameo.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Part of me hopes that he could have one last swing of the Machete. But at 67 that's unlikely, and as a relaunch, it should probably have a new Jason to set it apart.

Part of me hopes that he could have one last swing of the Machete. But at 67 that's unlikely, and as a relaunch, it should probably have a new Jason to set it apart.

On that note, Danielle Harris has been hinting at two final Hatchet films. Would Hodder return for those? I certainly hope so.
    I thought the rumour was a for a 2023 release, and F13 films don't tend to take long to film, do they? I don't even know if they have a story ready this time around.

What story teens show up at camp and get killed… there I wrote the story can I get my check please lol
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Hopefully if they do make a film they'll make it a special one considering it'll be the thirteenth entry.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

On that note, Danielle Harris has been hinting at two final Hatchet films. Would Hodder return for those? I certainly hope so.

If he is physically up for it, I think think he would do more Hatchett films. Victor Crowley was written for Kane Hodder, and he & Adam Green had a good working relationship on all 4 films.

If he is physically up for it, I think think he would do more Hatchett films. Victor Crowley was written for Kane Hodder, and he & Adam Green had a good working relationship on all 4 films.

Victor Crowley was the only one in that series I have really liked so far. I want more films like it. But with Danielle. ❤

Victor Crowley was the only one in that series I have really liked so far. I want more films like it. But with Danielle. ❤

In that case, I thought Hatchett 2 would me more up your street. Danielle Harris from start to finish.

In that case, I thought Hatchett 2 would me more up your street. Danielle Harris from start to finish.

I won't deny that Danielle is a reason for me to watch certain films. 😌 But Hatchet 2, while entertaining and certainly an improvement over the first film, is still pretty empty. She had some funny moments in the third one, though.

I won't deny that Danielle is a reason for me to watch certain films. 😌 But Hatchet 2, while entertaining and certainly an improvement over the first film, is still pretty empty. She had some funny moments in the third one, though.

I like Hatchet 2 the most. It's the Evil Dead 2 of the Hatchet films. The blood quota is upped considerably, and the humour is more in your face. While Hatchet 3, you can feel the concept being stretched to it's limits (and not in a good way). Though Hatchet 3 did have it's moments (Victor fighting Derek Meres' character).
    edited January 2023 Posts: 23,528

I like Hatchet 2 the most. It's the Evil Dead 2 of the Hatchet films. The blood quota is upped considerably, and the humour is more in your face. While Hatchet 3, you can feel the concept being stretched to it's limits (and not in a good way). Though Hatchet 3 did have it's moments (Victor fighting Derek Meres' character).

I have to admit that I like the series more for its raunchy comedy than its horror, which I find lacking in originality and 'darkness'. Most of the time is spent on people sauntering into the woods in search of Victor (or his ghost?), while talking for minutes on end. When the good stuff comes--and it always does--it's often not enough for me to truly celebrate these films. Victor Crowley is the exception because the back-and-forths between the characters is amusing enough to keep me actively engaged. Again: comedy beats the horror.

The first film is the weakest, by far. It takes a lot more than some Marilyn Manson and girls throwing their bikini tops off to keep my pulse going. The woods look too much like a set built with plastic and rubber props. And when lights start moving, I expect shadows to do so as well.

What I do appreciate about the series, however, apart from Hodder and Harris, is that it keeps its films short and always with a shockingly abrupt outro that the next one picks up on.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I've been wanting this for so, so long: Eli Roth is making a feature film out of his Grindhouse trailer Thanksgiving:

https://deadline.com/2023/01/borderlands-tim-miller-eli-roth-grindhouse-trailer-thanksgiving-1235214050/

Seems Tim Miller is stepping in to do a few weeks of reshoots on Roth's Borderlands adaptation as a result.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I've been wanting this for so, so long: Eli Roth is making a feature film out of his Grindhouse trailer Thanksgiving:

https://deadline.com/2023/01/borderlands-tim-miller-eli-roth-grindhouse-trailer-thanksgiving-1235214050/

Seems Tim Miller is stepping in to do a few weeks of reshoots on Roth's Borderlands adaptation as a result.

Great news! Now if only Rob Zombie would commit to a feature based on his faux trailer. ;-)
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Great news! Now if only Rob Zombie would commit to a feature based on his faux trailer. ;-)

I'm really surprised he's yet to find a way to bring that to the screen.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    It'll be interesting to see how much the film follows the events of the trailer.
  • I'm still waiting on Edgar Wright's Don't. Score courtesy of David Arnold. ;)
    Looking like no updates on this sacred date, but he lives on in our hearts:

https://media.tenor.com/images/2eb22b76800005d6062fbca050be312a/raw
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    FoxRox wrote: »

Its not over yet :)

I was thinking this earlier. Especially if it was coming this year, today would have been an appropriate date to drop a confirmation, or even begin filming. I still don't think it is going to happen, I hope it does, I just don't think it will.
    I'll just assume the series is dead and is never returning to cranking out installments in theaters. That way, I can only be pleasantly surprised. I can't believe it's been well over a decade since the last film was released.
    Your slasher priest, Dimilicious the Abominable, has a prayer for y'all to honor this Friday the 13th. So bow your head and repeat after me:

On this our sacred day

For the following do we presently pray

Promiscuous teens saying "hey, who's there?"

Headless bodies lying everywhere

We wish for tools with which to impale

For screams from cops set up to fail

For blood to spill and limbs to break

Say Hail to the man from Crystal Lake

Now go home, my fellow sinners from the Order of the Hockey Mask, and celebrate this unholy night with this off the cuff suggestion:

qr84olccih3b.jpg
    jason-voorhees-friday-the13th.gif

I did consider reinstalling the game today, but it's probably deader than one of Jason's victims. It was around this time last year, that I played it last. So much untapped potential, if it wasn't for the lawsuit.
    So happy to see so much love for the big man <3

I bought that Friday the 13th game for my Switch but haven’t played it yet.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2023 Posts: 5,869
    I've always been obsessed with the Friday the 13th franchise and was just as obsessed with the video game. I got it around my second year of university and certainly played it a lot when I had to write my dissertation, which was still on brand really considering my dissertation was a positive take on horror remakes and reboots :)
    Speaking of remakes, I actually liked the ‘09 Friday quite a bit more than I expected. Found it far more enjoyable than the remakes Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street got.
    I really liked the 09 film too. It had a lot going for it. If there was a douche of the year award, then Trent would have won it in 2009.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I think despite some acting here and there, 2013's Evil Dead is one of my favourite remakes/reboots/whatever that film is now considering the franchises canon :D
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Speaking of remakes, I actually liked the ‘09 Friday quite a bit more than I expected. Found it far more enjoyable than the remakes Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street got.

Same here! It ticked all the boxes. Also I really liked its version of Jason. It's second only to Jason Lives in that department.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2023 Posts: 5,869
    So...

https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/3747065/crystal-lake-kevin-williamson-and-adrienne-king-involved-in-peacocks-friday-the-13th-series/

"At a Friday the 13th Part III screening last night, Fuller provided an exciting update on the project, announcing that Kevin Williamson (Scream, Sick) will be writing an episode!"

"Additionally, original Friday final girl Adrienne King will have a recurring role!"