The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited February 2023 Posts: 2,897
    They only need to release that one poster right there, don't they? It's all I need, anyway. ;)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Venutius wrote: »
    They only need to release that one poster right there, don't they? It's all I need, anyway. ;)

Indeed. The poster has me excited beyond measure. First, Jenna's stunning eyes; then, a sharp knife; and finally, the title. I don't need a trailer, guys. I'm ready to cut deep. ;-) I know it's not the popular opinion, but I thought Scream V the best (big, commercial) slasher I'd seen in two decades. Wildly entertaining, very brutal at times, effectively scary (a rarity for this seasoned horror fan), and very well played by the leads, in particular by Jenna Ortega. In fact, I'm not going to miss Sidney. Her story was good for two films and then got stretched out beyond breaking point. Let the new kids take over. I'm game.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Perfectly put, DarthDimi. Agree with all of that.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2023 Posts: 5,834
    I actually think Scream 3, despite its obvious flaws which I just find hilarious and fun, carried on Sidney's story quite nicely. I think in all Sidney's scenes, they took her seriously which I appreciated and she remained the heart of the film despite her separation from Dewey and Gale.

I agree with you on that regarding 4 and 5 though but have a feeling that might be more to do with how much time had passed since Scream 3 in both real life and the film.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The cast for this is one of my favorites in a long time. Eggers knows how to amass a really, really great set of actors for his films.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    The cast for this is one of my favorites in a long time. Eggers knows how to amass a really, really great set of actors for his films.
    He really does. I do kinda wish it was still Anya instead of Lily but either way this is gonna be incredible.
    Not the ATJ I was looking for x( still disappointed it ended up this way.
    This production is shaping up nicely. Eggers stands on 3/3 for me, so I am ready for Nosferatu.

Wouldn't it be cool if Herzog had a bit part in it?

While not real the fact that we could have gotten Clive Barker’s Godzilla is well yeah!!!! Pretty cool in my mind it’s one of those ideas that suddenly makes so much sense though you never though of it before
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 2023 Posts: 5,834
    Happy to see that, though of course I’ll need to form my own opinions. I am going in as open minded as I can despite reservations.
    I'm going in with zero reservations. A bloody SCREAM -- I've been screaming for that since number 3 left me disappointed, and I've got a feeling that this new crew is doing a terrifyingly good job putting the "slasher" back into the genre.
    what if they revived Jaws into a TV show or animated series like they did with Cobra Kai ?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 2023 Posts: 5,834
    Just got out of seeing Scream VI. I really enjoyed it. I won't say much else but this is my new ranking:

1. Scream (1996)
    2. Scream 2
    3. Scream 3
    4. Scream VI
    5. Scream 4
    6. Scream (2022)
    I need to see it sometime soon. My ranking goes:

1. Scream (1996)
    2. Scream 4
    3. Scream 2
    4. Scream (2022)
    5. Scream 3

A huge factor as to why this ranks as it does for me is the villains + motivations. It's pretty much impossible to top the original for its inventiveness and nostalgic value, also. It's not a popular opinion but 4 was definitely my favorite sequel - I loved Judy, the villain, and character dynamics a lot. 2 is a really solid sequel, pretty good all around. 5 was fine but a little underwhelming for me, especially as I don't think it earned a certain someone's death. 3... suffers the SPECTRE syndrome of retcons and bombastic-ness. I've been increasingly more and more hopeful about 6 the closer it's come up, and I'd be satisfied if it can beat 5 soundly.
    I'm going to try and see Scream VI tomorrow before I get it spoiled for me.
  • edited March 2023 Posts: 12,243
    Updated ranking after a trip to the theater:

1. Scream (1996)
    2. Scream 4 (2011)
    3. Scream 2 (1997)
    4. Scream VI (2023)
    5. Scream (2022)
    6. Scream 3 (2000)

I found the sixth one to be a little more fun, interesting, and fresh than the fifth. Some really intense action and kills. However, there is still something about it that leaves me thinking at the end, how much is really left in the tank for this series. Losing Sidney was really felt, and like when I left the theater after 5, I’m not in any hurry to get another new one. They’re good enough movies, but I can’t help but keep thinking how Scream 4 would have been a more satisfying conclusion for this franchise.
    With a baby in the house, I'm unlikely to be able to see it in cinemas. But I'm all jenna'd jazzed up for this film.
    It was a good bit better than its predecessor but Scream VI still falls into the same meta mistakes and issues that I hate to see, like:
    Going on endlessly about how no one is safe, only to give the main characters ridiculous amounts of plot armor.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    With a baby in the house, I'm unlikely to be able to see it in cinemas. But I'm all jenna'd jazzed up for this film.

Hehe. I’ll definitely say she shines in the film, one of the best aspects, and was probably my favorite of the protagonists this time around. The movie is good, but I definitely think there was room to make it better. One thing I have to get off my chest:
    I do not like how Scream VI tries to have its cake and eat it too in the nostalgia department. Though I didn’t like the decision to move on from Sidney, they at least could have gone the whole mile at that point and focused more exclusively on the new characters and settings. They go through the effort of having a brand new main location for the first time and try some things to be the most different in the franchise yet, but the amount of callbacks is insane and honestly holds the movie back for me. A few touches here and there is fine, but if we expect to see this franchise thrive story-wise without the OG protagonist, I think it’s time to start totally from scratch and drop all the baggage. The film hits heavy soap opera territory more than once.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2023 Posts: 40,372
    I haven’t been a fan of some of his latest stuff, but I’m always willing to give Cronenberg a chance. He’s done a number of films I love, namely Videodrome, The Fly, Existenz, Crash, A History of Violence, The Brood, and The Dead Zone.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I haven’t been a fan of some of his latest stuff, but I’m always willing to give Cronenberg a chance. He’s done a number of films I love, namely Videodrome, The Fly, Existenz, Crash, A History of Violence, The Brood, and The Dead Zone.

Solely due to my extreme love for Videodrome, I'll always be excited for a new film of his. As for his most recent effort, I wasn't terribly impressed. Felt too dry and uneventful to me, as darkly unique as it was.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited March 2023 Posts: 8,009
    Forgot to mention this after I walked out of the screening last night, but I really enjoyed Scream VI.

It's lost a lot of the irreverant humour that made the series what it was, but it had enough thrills in there to keep me engaged. The ending was daft, and at least one character's survival made me roll my eyes, but I still had a good time.

I get that people have this crush on Jenna Ortega, but for both of the last two films I've walked out with a strong desire to set Melissa Barrera as my phone wallpaper.
    Forgot to mention this after I walked out of the screening last night, but I really enjoyed Scream VI.

It's lost a lot of the irreverant humour that made the series what it was, but it had enough thrills in there to keep me engaged. The ending was daft, and at least one character's survival made me roll my eyes, but I still had a good time.

I get that people have this crush on Jenna Ortega, but for both of the last two films I've walked out with a strong desire to set Melissa Barrera as my phone wallpaper.

Melissa Barrera is fine, but consider me a Jenna fanatic. Those eyes! 😉
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Melissa Barrera is fine, but consider me a Jenna fanatic. Those eyes! 😉

Haha! They're definitely a match as sisters, @DarthDimi ;)
    Has anyone of you ever seen the three 'HOTEL INFERNO' films? They are low-budget gore fests with no big names attached that play like a first-person shooter from start to finish. The story involves a hitman through whose eyes we watch it all. He is sent on a mission to kill two bad people in a hotel, but before long it turns out that he has stepped into a maze of horror. Three films, each not much longer than 75 minutes, follow the man on his journey, which becomes more insane and darker with every next film.

Most people will not be able to get past the first 15 minutes of the first film since there is nothing here besides buckets of blood and a video game experience but without us at the controls. And yet, this may be the best DOOM adaptation I have ever seen. Despite their low budgets, these films are great fun! Wild and gory, with an '80s synth score and honoring the rules of games like the original DOOM, HOTEL INFERNO is probably the most "correct" shooter adaptation to date.

I can only hope that more films in this series come our way. Though hard to find, cheap and very niche, the HOTEL INFERNO films are worth the time of both gore fans and old-school shooter fans like myself. The people who made these films obviously put a lot of hard work in them, and they understand the craft of making exploitation flicks that will continue to build an almost underground fan base. I certainly like them, even if I need a shower afterwards.