The Dark Knight Rises :: July 2012 (Spoilers)

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Saw it last night. Honestly, I think it was the best one yet.

I didn't think that Miranda would be Talia, but I sort of guessed that Blake would be Robin.

My favourite line was "this isn't a car"

Can anyone clear this up because there's one thing I didn't get, how did Blake know Batmans secret identity?

He isn't Robin though, it's just his name. If anything he would be Batman 2.0. It was included to give a hopeful ending, so we know that though Bruce is retired, Gotham is safe.

I thought that he'd be protecting Gotham as Robin in the future, hee might use the name as his persona. If he is the next Batman then they should just use him for the next film instead of rebooting the entire series again.

No, it ended perfectly and I want nothing else to come out of it again. And if they tried to get Joseph back I think he would respect Chris's plans to end his Batman story then and there and step away.
    Saw it last night. Honestly, I think it was the best one yet.

I didn't think that Miranda would be Talia, but I sort of guessed that Blake would be Robin.

My favourite line was "this isn't a car"

Can anyone clear this up because there's one thing I didn't get, how did Blake know Batmans secret identity?

He isn't Robin though, it's just his name. If anything he would be Batman 2.0. It was included to give a hopeful ending, so we know that though Bruce is retired, Gotham is safe.

I thought that he'd be protecting Gotham as Robin in the future, hee might use the name as his persona. If he is the next Batman then they should just use him for the next film instead of rebooting the entire series again.

No, it ended perfectly and I want nothing else to come out of it again. And if they tried to get Joseph back I think he would respect Chris's plans to end his Batman story then and there and step away.

And Chris would say no as he is still Batmans "Godfather."
    Virage wrote:
    And Chris would say no as he is still Batmans "Godfather."

Not anymore: http://www.slashfilm.com/christopher-nolan-produce-justice-league-batman-reboots/
  • ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    Creasy47 wrote:
    It's just upsetting to have followed Nolan's trilogy for years and years, just to know that it's slightly irrelevant when a new one comes out, because we have seen Wayne fight for Gotham so long, and finally, he is happy. Now, a new Wayne will probably step in and take over.

The three Nolan films are presented as 'the truth behind the Batman legend'. Sort of, what if Batman was real, how would it have worked. Any future movies would then be the Batman legend itself. I like that. Whatever movies come along in the future we can say "they're based on what happened in the Nolan movies".
    boldfinger wrote:
    Wow. It took me years to get somewhere near the core of TDK, and you guys already understood TDKR from one viewing. I feel really slow on the uptake ;-) .

To be fair, TDK was more complex in its message and themes. TDKR still has those wonderful touches, but it is clearly a straight good vs. evil tale.
    It´s just my jealousy speaking, because I won´t be able to watch the film for 4-5 more days :(( .
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    boldfinger wrote:
    boldfinger wrote:
    Wow. It took me years to get somewhere near the core of TDK, and you guys already understood TDKR from one viewing. I feel really slow on the uptake ;-) .

To be fair, TDK was more complex in its message and themes. TDKR still has those wonderful touches, but it is clearly a straight good vs. evil tale.
    It´s just my jealousy speaking, because I won´t be able to watch the film for 4-5 more days :(( .

Why are you reading the spoilers then? Why would you want such a masterpiece spoiled?!
    I concentrate on the review part and manage quite well avoiding the spoiler parts. But I anyhow don´t mind spoilers too much, I like watching films repeatedly.
    Yesterday morning I managed to read some big spoilers about the end by accident. As it turned out the movie was so good that it didn't ruin my enjoyment.
    Chevron wrote:
    Yesterday morning I managed to read some big spoilers about the end by accident. As it turned out the movie was so good that it didn't ruin my enjoyment.

Was it in comments on an article or below a trailer? That's usually how it happens.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Now more than ever, Nolan has proven himself for Bond.

Good luck Batman reboot. =))
    Chevron wrote:

Was it in comments on an article or below a trailer? That's usually how it happens.

It was a post in a forum. At the end of the post they guy put in ' oh, by the way...' and gave away the ending. It was just pure meanness. Just a troll.

• edited July 2012 Posts: 114
    So just seen it in IMAX last night, had time to sleep on it and think about what I just saw. Suffice to say I thoroughly enjoyed it, much better than tdk, which in my opinion is the weakest of the trilogy. Not by much though, before you all disregard my opinion! I think theyre all top tier movies, I just love begins (bar the end sequence). What bugged me about tdk was the lack of focus on batman and Bruce Wayne. Of course I loved the joker but found several scenes dragging eg boat scene. And the extras which shouted horrible lines really took me out of it 'THINGS R WORSE DAN EVAAA'. The truck chase was similarly ruined by the guy in the swat van spouting cliche lines, when realistically someone would be alottt less chilled about it.

Anyway veering off the point! I think alot of people's mistake is they expect this to be a villain piece, much in the same way that tdk was the jokers film. Bane is not that, he is a minor part of a larger story. Sure his plans and actions are vital to the film, but it's more about batman/Bruce Wayne and the people close to him that are key. For those who have seen, they completely redubbed the prologue for bane's lines. The new dub in my opinion was horrible! The delivery was cringe worthy, maybe that was just me? Even though in first dub he wasn't too understandable, it sounded menacing, this did not. But after this sequence bane voice is back to his normal, hard to understand yet menacing voice.

While on the topic of bane, the fight between the two in the sewers is brutal. In the most gleeful way possible. No music. Just batman doing his best, and failing. Such a rare sight and strangely most delightful thing I've seen on cinema in ages. Christian Bales performance as Wayne/batman is his best yet, which seemly has gone unnoticed by many. In tdk his performance was bland and made the character to be dull. Maybe that was due to having such a flamboyant character as the joker around, or maybe because he didn't have as much screen time as Wayne. Either way his portrayal is far more relaxed, fun, and touching than precious movies.

Regarding the end, maybe convinent but I found it a great last little emotional pull, showing Wayne finally being freed from his torment. I have to say though, I would've done it whereby it cut away after Alfred looked across and nodded. We never see if it was Bruce there. I would've loved that.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The Dark Knight Rises is set to earn about $170 million in the US this weekend. So, it won't beat the $207 million of The Avengers.

I still hope it can give it's $1.5 billion total a run for it's money. Fingers crossed The Dark Knight Rises has the better hold, like The Dark Knight did.
    DarthBork wrote:
    I have to say though, I would've done it whereby it cut away after Alfred looked across and nodded. We never see if it was Bruce there. I would've loved that.

That is exactly what I thought. I wonder if Nolan filmed it like that and then test screenings or studio notes insisted that we see Bruce alive and well and happy.
    Saw the film earlier on today. Thoroughly enjoyable. Not as good as Batman Begins, not that I was expecting it to be, but probably better than TDK although I'll need to see it again to confirm this. Interesting how Selina Kyle was never referred to as Catwoman (if I remember correctly). I liked that.
  • I kinda felt like Nolan put in more action (some of which was not needed) just to use IMAX because is such an advocate. Someone on this forum said The Joker was th character study of the piece, that is dead on. This film didn't feel like a meaningful character piece and didn't manage to get me invested until the last ten minutes. I loved what Tom Hardy did, but I wish he hadn't done such strange voice, which seemed to change every scene (often times he sounded like his Bronson character), but he was a fantastic presence, and affected me even with the only shot of his face with his performance. I cared about Bane in those final bits.
    I think I saw a goof.
    In the DK Fox says the costume is very resistant to knives. So how dose it not survive a pen knife that is placed in Batman by Talia with out much effort!
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I still don't get how Blake knew Batmans identity. Somebody explain please?

And I think Blake would go on to protect Gotham as Robin, not Batman 2.0, because it was hinted at with his name.
    ^ It proberbly comes from Tim Dreak (Aka Robin III) who deducted Batman's identerty from seeing Dick Grayson proforming a trick as a circus proformer and as Robin. Blake saw Bruce when he was little. Let's say he saw bruce do some mannerism that he didn't know he dose. Then Blake saw Batman do the exact samething on the TV, then (like Tim Dreak) works from there.
  • Virage wrote:
    I think I saw a goof.
    In the DK Fox says the costume is very resistant to knives. So how dose it not survive a pen knife that is placed in Batman by Talia with out much effort!

Actually DK said the costume will be more exposed to knives and gunfire due to the separation of the plates.
    @Virage That makes sense I suppose. I wish they'd made it clear why in the film though.
  • One problem I have Spoiler is that they use the name Robin. No Robin was actually named Robin, they woman could have said,"here you go Dick Grayson." or another Robin's name and most of us would have gotten it. If they were worried people till wouldn't they could have added something when he goes to the Batcave. For some reason this really bothers me!
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 2,598
    One problem I have Spoiler is that they use the name Robin. No Robin was actually named Robin, they woman could have said,"here you go Dick Grayson." or another Robin's name and most of us would have gotten it. If they were worried people till wouldn't they could have added something when he goes to the Batcave. For some reason this really bothers me!

I don't follow.

As Indy said, this film did seem to have more action than the other two. TKR had a good balance between action and dialogue aswell as BB.

I did love Bane's voice. You would have never known he was Tom Hardy except for that flashback scene when we saw a very quick shot of him from a slight distance.

What doubled the enjoyment factor of TDK for me was The Joker. Not that I'm saying it would have been a bad film without him or anything.

I was surprised to see the chap who played Scarecrow in TDKR. I've never read the comics. Can anyone answer this for me? Was this guy just playing another character or was he still the scarecrow/Dr. Jonathan Crane and playing the part of a judge for kicks or something? Is this something that happened in the comics?

• Bounine wrote:
    One problem I have Spoiler is that they use the name Robin. No Robin was actually named Robin, they woman could have said,"here you go Dick Grayson." or another Robin's name and most of us would have gotten it. If they were worried people till wouldn't they could have added something when he goes to the Batcave. For some reason this really bothers me!

I don't follow.

As Indy said, this film did seem to have more action than the other two. TKR had a good balance between action and dialogue aswell as BB.

I did love Bane's voice. You would have never known he was Tom Hardy except for that flashback scene when we saw a very quick shot of him from a slight distance.

What doubled the enjoyment factor of TDK for me was The Joker. Not that I'm saying it would have been a bad film without him or anything.

I was surprised to see the chap who played Scarecrow in TDKR. I've never read the comics. Can anyone answer this for me? Was this guy just playing another character or was he still the scarecrow/Dr. Jonathan Crane and playing the part of a judge for kicks or something? Is this something that happened in the comics?

My point is they should have used Dick Grayson, Tim Drake, Jason Todd even, one of the Robin's real names. The hero Robin having his real identity being named Robin? That's just plain wrong.

Is anyone considering the possibility of Alfred just imagining/wishing/dreaming that last scene?

After all, this is from the director of Inception, and there is a dream sequence with Ra's earlier in the film.
    Bounine wrote:

I don't follow.

My point is they should have used Dick Grayson, Tim Drake, Jason Todd even, one of the Robin's real names. The hero Robin having his real identity being named Robin? That's just plain wrong.

I don't even remember that part. When was that?

• at the end where he is talking to the woman and retriving something
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 2,598
    Why Robin when his name in the film is John Blake? I'm confused over this.

Might there be a continuation with another director with Blake playing Robin or was this just a way for Nolan to introduce the character of Robin in a subtle way that will never evolve?
    It's a possibility I guess but not really. Infact, I wanted the assurance that Wayne was still alive.
    DArtagnan wrote:
    Is anyone considering the possibility of Alfred just imagining/wishing/dreaming that last scene?

After all, this is from the director of Inception, and there is a dream sequence with Ra's earlier in the film.

It's a possibility I guess but not really. Infact, I wanted the assurance that Wayne was still alive.