What country would you like to be the MAIN location for BOND 26?

Comments

• SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    Russia. Obviously not for real but let's villainise the Russians. The cold war is back after all and only one man can take them on.

Cool! I like the last line "only one man can take them on"!
    I want it to be used in a future Bond Film poster.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited May 2022 Posts: 17,797
    Russia. Obviously not for real but let's villainise the Russians. The cold war is back after all and only one man can take them on.

That might be a bit too near the knuckle at the minute I fear and Eon have never been keen to politicise their villains, especially in potential foreign markets for their film. From DN onwards the villains were working for SPECTRE instead of SMERSH or the Soviet Union more generally as was the case in the original Fleming novels.

Later on in the 1980s and 1990s when they stopped using SPECTRE as the villains they only represented villainy from Russia as being from renegade generals such as Orlov, Koskov or Ourumov. These renegades were out for their own geopolitical or financial ends which were seen as at odds with the general foreign policy of Mother Russia and moderates like General Gogol. I think Eon will continue down this path of not needlessly politicising the plots of their Bond films and so they should. Plus, we've already had Russia as a location in GoldenEye which wasn't really all that long ago in the grand scheme of things.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I've long had the idea of doing a more long form write-up of just how positively Russia was portrayed in the series despite Bond being a Cold War spy and the very tumultuous political climate that was always in the background as the films released. EON was smart to leave the villainy to rogue Russians (as they've done with other nations before and after) instead of painting the higher echelons of the nation in a bad light, all while showing characters like Gogol in a very endearing way. There is something bizarrely diplomatic about the Russia/western relations in those films, where the nations are never warm partners or the best of friends by any measure, but are always willing to work together if their refusal to break bread means the end of them all.

I think a moment that really underscores the careful yet thoughtful stalemate between Russia and Bond's countrymen that dominates throughout the series is in FYEO, where Gogol wants the ATAC device, but Bond instead decides to destroy it. In that moment, each side is at peace and can walk away from the situation knowing that, although neither nation could utilize the power of the ATAC, at least destroyed it could be of no use to anyone.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Two countries that we haven't been to in a while and that i would like to see utilized more are Spain & Greece. We've barely seen Spain to begin with.
    As for Greece you could make a great PTS in Athens, with the Pantheon and a chase at the Piraeus Harbour (think Blood Stone) or the Islands (possible Colonel Sun adaption).
    edited May 2022 Posts: 3,390
    If we're going for a cold war style of Bond Film, there's so many places that Bond still not visited yet and could make for an interesting location other than Russia:
    1.) Belarus
    2.) Poland
    3.) Estonia
    4.) Lithuania

Also Switzerland and the Netherlands.

Spain was not that utilized in TWINE, those scenes in Bilbao, so yes, I also want to see more of Spain, and better utlized, if they're in Spain why not go to Ibiza too?

I also want Bond to return in Amsterdam, and have him visit a villain lair in Finland with northern lights on the background.
    MI6HQ wrote: »
    If we're going for a cold war style of Bond Film, there's so many places that Bond still not visited yet and could make for an interesting location other than Russia:
    1.) Belarus
    2.) Poland
    3.) Estonia
    4.) Lithuania

Also Switzerland and the Netherlands.

Spain was not that utilized in TWINE, those scenes in Bilbao, so yes, I also want to see more of Spain, and better utlized, if they're in Spain why not go to Ibiza too?

I also want Bond to return in Amsterdam, and have him visit a villain lair in Finland with northern lights on the background.

I think you can rule Belarus out as a potential location now.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Budapest, Hungary
    Almeria, Spain
    Cape Town, South Africa

There's some fantastic roads in Almeria, see Jamiroquai Cosmic Girl video
    Can't believe I'm about to write this...As we all know there's an unwritten law somewhere that Canada, Australia and New Zealand never, ever shall be Bond locations. Having said that, if that law be changed or simply broken, then it might be pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty efficient to use them all -- here it comes -- in ONE MOVIE AND GET THEM ALL OUT OF THE WAY !!!

Bond on the Sydney Harbor Bridge - bit of an homage to AVTAK, eh ? Too soon after QOS to have Bond in an action sequence at the Opera House ? Bond in the Hobbit Village in New Zealand - how terribly cute. Selecting locations in Canada is bound to be problematic, though. Montreal ? Toronto ? Windsor ? Vancouver ? Or just have Bond step his toe over the line, then turn to the camera, break the Fourth Wall and say: "There ! Done it !" or just "Well, the other fellows never did that, did they ?"
  • By order of preference, I think my location wishlist would be the following:
    1. India
    2. Kenya
    3. Persian Gulf
    4. Kazakhstan
    5. Argentina
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Since62 wrote: »
    Bond in the Hobbit Village in New Zealand - how terribly cute.

An Aidan Turner supporter, huh.

New Zealand would be a great location. A perfect villain hiding lair.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    New Zealand would be a great location. A perfect villain hiding lair.

Right, the fact that a lot of super rich people have bought themselves vast tracts of land and with it citizenship or at least residency papers in New Zealand, because they think it would be the safest place in any number of possible coming catastrophies makes it a pretty good spot for a Bond villain. So good even, that I think it might be a bit too on the nose and the New Zealand Government might not be happy to give filming permits if that's the premise.

Not sure whether I'm for A Turner as Bond...turns out that, in real life, he's much taller than he was in the Hobbit films
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    By order of preference, I think my location wishlist would be the following:
    1. India
    2. Kenya
    3. Persian Gulf
    4. Kazakhstan
    5. Argentina

Great choices. Would also be interesting to see Pakistan. Can imagine a nice homage to TLD - “I know a great restaurant in Karachi”.
  • fadetoblack7fadetoblack7 Chicago IL
    Whatever they decide to do, I hope there’s good contrast between the locations - that to me is the key. Like the India to Berlin locales in Octopussy.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.

Not sure whether I'm for A Turner as Bond...turns out that, in real life, he's much taller than he was in the Hobbit films

Acknowledged @Since62! Still ripe for poking fun.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Whatever they decide to do, I hope there’s good contrast between the locations - that to me is the key. Like the India to Berlin locales in Octopussy.

Agreed, I always appreciate a nice contrast between locales but I'm equally a fan of one particular location dominating a film's proceedings (like DN or even a large portion of OHMSS).
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Agreed. I think it was Cubby who once said that he didn't like to have Bond ever return to a location, but OHMSS has the poignancy of returning to Portugal. (I know that OHMSS was a Harry film.)

And NTTD also makes a meaningful return to the lake house in Norway. Rules are meant to be broken?
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    And Octopussy goes back to India at the end.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'm equally a fan of one particular location dominating a film's proceedings (like DN or even a large portion of OHMSS).
    Same for me. I think it would be all the more relevant for Bond 26 after all these previous installments which were set in several countries each time. A movie with one particular location dominating the story could be a breath of fresh air.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I'd be interested in seeing Bond go to countries like Albania or North-Macedonia. The latter is scattered with odd buildings. https://amuse.vice.com/en_us/article/438adw/macedonia-faking-own-past
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited May 2022 Posts: 17,797
    I'd be interested in seeing Bond go to countries like Albania or North-Macedonia. The latter is scattered with odd buildings. https://amuse.vice.com/en_us/article/438adw/macedonia-faking-own-past

I suppose Bond briefly visited Albania (while it was still behind the Iron Curtain) in FYEO when they had the raid on Kristatos's heroin refinery. I guess that was Greece or somewhere else standing in for Albania though as the Cold War was still ongoing at that time and filming there would've been out of the question.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Australia. France. Spain. Croatia. Belgium (even Trump called it a "beautiful city")

No to Italy. Four of Bond's movies took place there. Loved the Matera bit, but give Italy a time-out.
    Here's mine:
    1. Has anyone mentioned Maldives?
    2. Bhutan
    3. Lebanon (if the bombing didn't happened, but maybe the country is in a better situation now?)
    4. Philippines (particularly Vigan and Puerto Prinsesa, a view of Chocolate Hills, or the rainforests).
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Singapore
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Singapore
    Been championing this for a while, though I imagine it being very expensive to film there.
    QBranch wrote: »
    Singapore
    Been championing this for a while, though I imagine it being very expensive to film there.

After NTTD's succes, that shouldn't be a problem, no? ;-) I love the city, there are so many cultures mixed, old and new mixed, from the Raffles to the rooftop, plenty of places to go to.
    Riadh, Saudi Arabia
    e3331a06cb92418fac36a8ee3d7dcdfd.jpg

La Mont Michel, France
    2a6be55d19f5ace8aa0ffa86fb696c9e01230660.jpg

Singapore
    c68cbc936e1499f61219070faed16454.jpg

Greenland
    0x0.jpg?format=jpg&width=1200

• echoecho 007 in New York
    Italy. Including all the M, Q, Moneypenny, May, and Tanner scenes.
    echo wrote: »
    Italy. Including all the M, Q, Moneypenny, May, and Tanner scenes.

You're sure about that man? :))