Favourite Bond Moments - Round 26: NTTD- Part 2: Ranking

1242526272830»

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    1. Bond and Nomi's conversation in his villa = goooooood
    2. Happy Ernstday: SPECTRE party in Santiago de Cuba (pre-fight scene) - Vamos!
    3. Bond and a thirsty M chat in his office
    4. misty forest (post-car chase): Bond uses the grenade launcher; winch, Ash goes crash
    5. cargo plane scene - Bond and Nomi get prepped for the finale; Q in his PJs
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    1 the intro with safin
    2 Matera action
    3 Main title sequence
    4 Safin shows Mathilde around
    5 Bond and Madeleine reunite in Norway
  • GBFGBF
    1 Safin's "reveal" in the consultation hour
    2 Bond sailing in Jamaica and returning to his place with fish
    3 Q pretending not to have seen Bond for a while
    4 Felix Leiter's death scene
    5 Bond and Madeleine reunite in Norway + introduction to Mathilde
  • peterpeter Toronto
    1. Safin's intro in PTS
    2. after Bond finds out that Madeleine is a "daughter of Spectre" the tension of the following action sequence is off the charts, that concludes when the couple part ways.
    3. Love watching a grizzled Bond and a laughing Felix have drinks, play a game and discuss business with the Book of Mormon chiming in.
    4. Meeting Nomi sequence that ends with her leaving Bond with the information that she's the new 007
    5. Insisting that Paloma and he should have a drink before going into the Spectre party.

I guess I hafta stop here since I have about thirty other equally favorite scenes!
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    1. Labotory scene
    2. Aston Martin Chase (Hightlight are Shapes Scene, Blofeld at phone and Round against The Clock)
    3. Bond on seal boat.
    4. First part of pts
    5. Universal twist.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited January 2022 Posts: 4,378
    Great diversity so far!

I could easily do a ranking with PTS moments only...
    1. Bond and Madeleine in the DB5. The glass is almost breaking...and then one of the best action cues kicks in
    2. Paloma's introduction and Bond gets the right clothes
    3. Q pretending not to have seen Bond for a while
    4. Young Madeleine running on the ice lake
    5. The enemy's cars reappear on the bridge in Norway and the action score kicks in.
  • KenAustinKenAustin United States
    I've always been a fan of the simple moments in between the action...such as Brosnan's Bond freshening up after his captivity in DAD, or later in that movie when he was smoking a cigar and drinking a mojito in Cuba before meeting Jynx...or enjoying a drink in CR etc...the action scenes are always awesome though of course.
    edited January 2022 Posts: 4,378
    KenAustin wrote: »
    I've always been a fan of the simple moments in between the action...such as Brosnan's Bond freshening up after his captivity in DAD, or later in that movie when he was smoking a cigar and drinking a mojito in Cuba before meeting Jynx...or enjoying a drink in CR etc...the action scenes are always awesome though of course.

Bond walking from his sail boat to the house could be such a "simple" but stylish moment? Or The drink with Paloma in the middle of the action would combine your points then ;)
    Feel free to add your favourite NTTD moments. I'm curious now.
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    1. Island Lair Finale
    2. Norway (2nd act)
    3. Cuba shoot-out
    4. Death scene
    5. Plane escape/interrogation/boat fight sequence
  • edited January 2022 Posts: 6,844
    It'll probably take some time yet for NTTD to fully sink in, but for now:

1. Matera action: Vesper's grave, bridge jump, Primo fight, Aston chase, "Daughter of Spectre," bells and donuts, farewell on the train. It's all so good my top 5 could be composed entirely of these moments.

2. Cuba fight: meeting with Paloma and the birthday bash is a great build-up to the action, but I just love all the wacky gunplay and leaping from banisters and Waldo the fumbled football—backed by Zimmer's growling take on the Bond theme and that high-spirited Cuban music.

3. Bond and Madeleine reunite in Norway: just a really beautiful scene, nicely lit and played very well by both actors and with a really lovely instrumental version of "No Time to Die."

4. Bond fights his way up to the control room: this segment just keeps getting better and better for me, especially that part where the camera pans behind those two gunmen to show us Bond from their perspective rather than following him over his shoulder.

5. Norway chase and forest hunt: love the cars and motorcycles leaping into view, the misty forest, the inventiveness of using the towline, tipping the car over Ash.

But I also have to say I absolutely love the bit where Q pretends to have not seen Bond for a while. I really don't think I caught the part where M says, "I know he's been staying with you" in theaters, but I really like the whole idea of that. It feels like a throwback to LTK where Bond and Q had to bunk together. Bond and Q are such diverse personalities, the thought of them as flatmates and Bond driving Q up the walls 24-7 is actually pretty funny, just as it was in LTK. But it also shows the bond between them and the lengths Q would go to to help Bond out (again, just like the relationship between Desmond Llewelyn and the Bonds he played against).
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    1. PTS. Especially the Matera scenes.
    2. Bond in Jamaica
    3. Cuba sequence (The whole things a blast)
    4. Bond/M scene
    5. The staircase battle
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited January 2022 Posts: 7,518
    2. Bond in Jamaica
    4. Bond/M scene
    5. The staircase battle

Enjoyed all of the film, hard for me to parse it down into 5 enjoyable moments, but this would essentially be my list as well.

I feel like people don't like the Bond / M scene because Bond is disrespectful towards M, but here it makes perfect sense. He is no longer employed by MI6, and M has done something that Bond has a serious problem with.
    When Bond is disrespectful towards M in Spectre (another movie I love), it makes far less sense.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    2. Bond in Jamaica
    4. Bond/M scene
    5. The staircase battle

Enjoyed all of the film, hard for me to parse it down into 5 enjoyable moments, but this would essentially be my list as well.

I feel like people don't like the Bond / M scene because Bond is disrespectful towards M, but here it makes perfect sense. He is no longer employed by MI6, and M has done something that Bond has a serious problem with.
    When Bond is disrespectful towards M in Spectre (another movie I love), it makes far less sense.

Yeah, I detest the Bond/M scene in SP. The dialogue is awful and Bond just comes across as a dick.

Not a fan of the film either...
  • I’ve noticed some more interesting lines I didn’t pick up on the first time in the theater. In Jamaica I believe, Felix mentions something to Bond along the lines of, “Don’t we all just want to get home to our families to tell them we saved the world one more time?” There was another interesting one I’d missed the first time around that escapes my mind at the moment.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    The one I constantly missed was when Nomi tells Bond she “has a think for old wrecks”, needed the subtitles for that one.
    1. PTS
    2. Entire Cuba Sequence
    3. Forest Action Scene
    4. Blofeld Interrogation
    5. Bond & Safin Talk
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The staircase fight is one that could have made my list. I love how that was put together.
    It'll probably take some time yet for NTTD to fully sink in, but for now:

1. Matera action: Vesper's grave, bridge jump, Primo fight, Aston chase, "Daughter of Spectre," bells and donuts, farewell on the train. It's all so good my top 5 could be composed entirely of these moments.

2. Cuba fight: meeting with Paloma and the birthday bash is a great build-up to the action, but I just love all the wacky gunplay and leaping from banisters and Waldo the fumbled football—backed by Zimmer's growling take on the Bond theme and that high-spirited Cuban music.

3. Bond and Madeleine reunite in Norway: just a really beautiful scene, nicely lit and played very well by both actors and with a really lovely instrumental version of "No Time to Die."

4. Bond fights his way up to the control room: this segment just keeps getting better and better for me, especially that part where the camera pans behind those two gunmen to show us Bond from their perspective rather than following him over his shoulder.

5. Norway chase and forest hunt: love the cars and motorcycles leaping into view, the misty forest, the inventiveness of using the towline, tipping the car over Ash.

But I also have to say I absolutely love the bit where Q pretends to have not seen Bond for a while. I really don't think I caught the part where M says, "I know he's been staying with you" in theaters, but I really like the whole idea of that. It feels like a throwback to LTK where Bond and Q had to bunk together. Bond and Q are such diverse personalities, the thought of them as flatmates and Bond driving Q up the walls 24-7 is actually pretty funny, just as it was in LTK. But it also shows the bond between them and the lengths Q would go to to help Bond out (again, just like the relationship between Desmond Llewelyn and the Bonds he played against).

I never expected it but I would rank the NTTD PTS as my favourite of the series (at least right now). All points you mention from the grave to the end of the PTS are outstanding. I would have loved to see maybe 30 seconds more of the car chase but it is also fantastic the way it is. A moment I also love is when Bond smashes Primo from his motorcycle.
    Interesting point mentioned about the staircase fight. I completely forgot that point of view changes there right before Bond shoots the last guys.
    And the misty forest is extremely atmospheric. Action in a foggy forest doesn't sound like the most inventive thing but it works so well because we never had a Bond action scene in the fog and Bond in a forest is also a surprisingly rare used location. The sound editing of the approaching motorcycles was great in the cinema.
  • It'll probably take some time yet for NTTD to fully sink in, but for now:

I never expected it but I would rank the NTTD PTS as my favourite of the series (at least right now). All points you mention from the grave to the end of the PTS are outstanding. I would have loved to see maybe 30 seconds more of the car chase but it is also fantastic the way it is. A moment I also love is when Bond smashes Primo from his motorcycle.
    Interesting point mentioned about the staircase fight. I completely forgot that point of view changes there right before Bond shoots the last guys.
    And the misty forest is extremely atmospheric. Action in a foggy forest doesn't sound like the most inventive thing but it works so well because we never had a Bond action scene in the fog and Bond in a forest is also a surprisingly rare used location. The sound editing of the approaching motorcycles was great in the cinema.

It may have been a necessary choice in terms of where the camera had to go in the scene, but it's still an interesting switch-up from a storytelling point of view.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Everyone, how do you feel about the NTTD epilogue compared to the other epilogues? @GoldenGun will soon be hosting a great ranking game for these. Please visit this thread for the list, or find it here:
    DN: after Crab Key blows up.
    FRWL: Venice section.
    GF: post-Fort Knox scenes.
    TB: after the Disco has blown up.
    CR67: all Bonds in heaven/hell.
    YOLT: after the volcano eruption.
    OHMSS: marriage and tragic ending.
    DAF: La Bombe Surprise.
    LALD: train scenes.
    TMWTGG: junk scenes.
    TSWLM: after Atlantis has been destroyed.
    MR: attempting re-entry.
    FYEO: the PM gets the bird and moonlight swim.
    OP: after Kamal’s demise.
    NSNA: Bond in retirement and Small-Fawcett visit.
    AVTAK: post-Golden Gate Bridge scenes.
    TLD: Kara’s concert.
    LTK: party at the Sanchez villa.
    GE: after the satellite dish explosion.
    TND: M’s memo and Bond staying undercover.
    TWINE: premature millennium bug and Christmas in Turkey.
    DAD: Moneypenny goes virtual while Bond and Jinx relax surrounded by diamonds.
    CR: post-Vesper’s death.
    QOS: Kazan scenes.
    SF: Bond at MI6.
    SP: getting the DB5 and driving off with Madeleine.
    NTTD: everything after you-know-what.

Simply rank them, PM your choices to @GoldenGun and keep an eye out for the new thread! Thanks.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    NTTD has a fine epilogue, but my favourites would have to be FRWL, DAF, LALD, CR, QOS.