Thoughts on Licence to Kill?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    LTK is somewhere in the middle for me, and that is pretty damn good.
    I also have to add that Bond lightning Sanchez on fire with Leiter's lighter is perhaps the best bit of poetic justice in any Bond film. Allowing Sanchez to see it right beforehand is the cherry on the sundae of righteous vengeance.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Agreed, infact with some films, I almost feel cheated when the Villain doesn't
    get a nasty death :)
    Revelator wrote: »
    I also have to add that Bond lightning Sanchez on fire with Leiter's lighter is perhaps the best bit of poetic justice in any Bond film. Allowing Sanchez to see it right beforehand is the cherry on the sundae of righteous vengeance.

That and Greene getting the oil can to drink.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    No one but me appreciates that Oscar-deserving performance from Talisa... I totally bought the air-head thing she was doing.... :-??
    True, reminded me of the work of a young Sir Ian McKellen :)
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

The two films have a lot of similarities.
    TripAces wrote: »

The two films have a lot of similarities.
    Yes- they're both in my top 5!
    ;)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,690
    LTK is a definity top 8 outing for me. One of my most rewatchable outings in the franchise, thanks to a powerhouse performance from Dalton, epic action scenes, an intense atmosphere and a very brisk pace.
    Every time I watch it, I keep thinking, It's so sad Dalton didn't get to do at least
    One more. :(
    Sadly with eon, there always seems to be some legal issue, to be dealt with.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    "Another nice touch is the reference to Tracy. Well-acted by Dalton"

See I don't think that is well acted. This moment is over-acted. About as subtle as him yelling at Della "MY WIFE WAS MURDERED YOU KNOW!!!!"

Moore actually did a much better reaction in TSWLM when Anya brings up Tracy.

One of Moore's best little moments as Bond.

What has always puzzled me about that scene is, how does Della not know? Bond has obviously been a big part of their time together and he acts as best man (I assume) and she obviously has a lot of affection for him; just puzzled how she never knew.

Exactly. I got the feeling Felix hadn't known her for long before marrying her (And lets be honest he looks more like her father!)

That unbelievable scene near the end always cracks me up. Leiter recovering in Hospital and getting all cheery about going fishing when he's up and about! I should imagine his poor wife's funeral would be heavier on his mind!

Morphine is a wonderful drug... ;)

It makes you constipated.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    It makes you constipated.

Sadly there are side-effects. Life's a bitch.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    As do all opiates. Amongst other things...
    Do they ? Or is it just where they shove them when smuggling them in ? ;)
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Can someone explain how LTK is like Miami Vice? I have the full Miami Vice box set and really like the series, but other than a storyline with drugs in it, it is nothing like Miami Vice. There is no pop music, no pastel suits, different humour, different clothes, different score, different style of direction (Micheal Mann). Nothing like Miami Vice!
    Edward James Olmos could have ben a great Sanchez if Davi wasn t available.
    Definitely. Or defiantly as most here say.
  • I’m rewatching as many of the series as I get thru by the end of Christmas. Mixing up the order this year and LTK is this evening. I hated the TDs when they were released, not sure I even saw them on the big screen. But I’m interested in how distance and time affect how we feel about Bond. What were the pressures to make this a bit gratuitously grizzly? All a bit Scarface. There’s no 60s chic to this. I grew up in the 80s not knowing what tailoring was. That sort of thing. Not sure this re-watch is going to change anything tbh. But I do like Dalton. And Carey Lowell is really fine.
  • Licence to Kill is the bollocks, that’s my thoughts.
    muzz100 wrote: »
    I’m rewatching as many of the series as I get thru by the end of Christmas. Mixing up the order this year and LTK is this evening. I hated the TDs when they were released, not sure I even saw them on the big screen. But I’m interested in how distance and time affect how we feel about Bond. What were the pressures to make this a bit gratuitously grizzly? All a bit Scarface. There’s no 60s chic to this. I grew up in the 80s not knowing what tailoring was. That sort of thing. Not sure this re-watch is going to change anything tbh. But I do like Dalton. And Carey Lowell is really fine.

I can see where you’re coming from, but that’s what I love about it. The cynical, weary Bond we were introduced to in TLD goes off the rails so hard that he storms into another genre (a very 80s action film, complete with Micheal Kamen score) looking for revenge. Loved it.

Plus it does have its roots in Fleming, there’s a lot of the LALD novel in there. And while I agree on the lack of 60s chic, I don’t think that’s a bad thing. The lack of style suited the story imo, and I’ve always thought that there still enough old school Bond elements there (Q, a proper gunbarrel, that pyramid base) for it to still feel like a Bond film, despite the way it leaps into uncharted, nasty, brutal territory.
    Daltons two films flip flop for 2 or 3 spot in my list.
    Adore them both!
    When 007 magazine got some early photos of a very beaten up Bond ( plus a sneak of the start of the truck action!) I was thinking " this is going to be different type of Bond movie!"
    Then all the brouhaha about the certificate, I was really stoked.
    Loved it from that first viewing in Summer '89, love it even more now!
    It has a story with a beginning, middle and an end, which gets progressively exciting as it gets to the finale, unlike a lot of Bonds!
    A fantastic villain ( deservedly winning our recent poll!) A scary henchman in Dario, Carey Lowell a gorgeous Bond girl, stylishly directed by Glen, and some of the best action sequences in the series, underrated theme song by Gladys Knight, Michael Kamens score is not quite up to the standard of everything else, but he does do a great gunbarrel!
    LTK is still underappreciated by most, but will always hold a position in my top 3.
    Oh, did i mention Timothy Dalton is an awesome James Bond in it?
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Adore them both!
    They flip flop for the 1 & 2 spot for me!
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Adore them both!

Understandable mate, but the sublime OHMSS is my number 1! ( and to think Dalton could have starred in that!!)
    Adore them both!

Understandable mate, but the sublime OHMSS is my number 1! ( and to think Dalton could have starred in that!!)

There is a case to be made that OHMSS is the best Bond movie that has ever or will ever be made. But Dalton is my #1 Bond.
  • I absolutely despised Licence to Kill when I was a kid. Now it’s one of my most watched films, if it doesn’t quite crack my top 10. Love that film.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 15,818
    I love LICENCE TO KILL and cherish my memories of seeing it 11 times during the summer of '89.
    Then saving up the $89.95 to buy the CBS/Fox Home Video VHS version that was released January 4th, 1990.
    It's a superb Bond film.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 17,691
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I love LICENCE TO KILL and cherish my memories of seeing it 11 times during the summer of '89.
    Then saving up the $89.95 to buy the CBS/Fox Home Video VHS version that was released January 4th, 1990.
    It's a superb Bond film.

That's right!! $70 - $90 for a movie on VHS back then!
    We were so badly used....
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    It's a superb Bond film.

Oh man. I paid good allowance money on expensive VHS copies back then. I dropped another pile of cash for the DVD SE box, and I transferred hard-earned paycheck money for the BR box. I don't even want to add the numbers up. Point is, I really feel used in that sense. And it won't be the last time, I'm sure.
  • DarthDimi wrote: »
    It's a superb Bond film.

Oh man. I paid good allowance money on expensive VHS copies back then. I dropped another pile of cash for the DVD SE box, and I transferred hard-earned paycheck money for the BR box. I don't even want to add the numbers up. Point is, I really feel used in that sense. And it won't be the last time, I'm sure.

$70-90! That's insane!

But I guess nowadays they're selling 4Ks for $30-40 and purely digital copies for $20, whereas some Blu-rays you can get for $5. It's all relative.