NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    I don't get it. A lot of NTTD is pure out fun. The ending you can argue isn't ... But it's not like the fun isn't there. It's just hyperbole because of one moment in the ending.

Can I say... Toys out the pram?
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited December 2021 Posts: 2,895
    Best gag in NTTD: 'I've just shown someone your watch.'
    Excellent - that's the kind of deadpan humour that suited CraigBond.
    I do think they spoiled it a bit with the 'blew his mind' follow-up, though - has anyone actually said that since 1971?
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 12,914
    Venutius wrote: »
    I do think they spoiled it a bit with the 'blew his mind' follow-up, though - has anyone actually said that since 1971?
    Absolutely yes heck yeah it's been said. I've been around since before 1971. My co-workers, family, and acquaintances use it today. I see it in modern pop culture. You gotta be kidding with a complaint like that.

Every audience I was with had a positive reaction to it. So maybe you are kidding. Can't think why though.

mind-blow-21.gif?w=364giphy.gif?resize=331%2C385&ssl=1200.gifhttps%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2017%2F03%2F27%2F11%2F56%2Fgiphy.gif712_1000.gif

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    00Heaven wrote: »
    I don't get it. A lot of NTTD is pure out fun. The ending you can argue isn't ... But it's not like the fun isn't there. It's just hyperbole because of one moment in the ending.

I agree. Much of Craig's tenure was filled with humor; it was just a little more subtle. I laughed heartily in CR when everyone at the poker table orders Bond's drink, much to LeChiffre's frustration. It still cracks me up. He whines, "Is that it? Is everyone ready to play poker now?" To which, Leiter replies something like, "Someone's in a hurry." This is good stuff.

Also of note: Bond's reaction to Q sitting next to him at the museum in SF. Remember, Bond has no idea at first that this is Q. He thinks it's some young "puff" sitting a little too close to him on a bench. Bond's reaction is effin' priceless. Craig gets the facial expression perfect.
    Absolutely yes heck yeah it's been said. I've been around since before 1971. My co-workers, family, and acquaintances use it today. I see it in modern pop culture. You gotta be kidding with a complaint like that

I haven't heard anyone say it since I was a little kid, tbh. 'Blew my mind' was the kind of old hippy speak that was banished from England along with the likes of 'far out' as soon as punk swept flares and afghan coats aside. Mind you, it could easily have been revived without me noticing - I'm in parochial Yorkshire and I haven't been 'down with the kids' for decades.😉
    edited December 2021 Posts: 12,914
    Venutius wrote: »
    Absolutely yes heck yeah it's been said. I've been around since before 1971. My co-workers, family, and acquaintances use it today. I see it in modern pop culture. You gotta be kidding with a complaint like that

I haven't heard anyone say it since I was a little kid, tbh. 'Blew my mind' was the kind of old hippy speak that was banished from England along with the likes of 'far out' as soon as punk swept flares and afghan coats aside. Mind you, it could easily have been revived without me noticing - I'm in parochial Yorkshire and I haven't been 'down with the kids' for decades.😉
    I don't associate enough with kids to be able to comment further.

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    "Blew his mind" doesn't strike me as old fashioned at all. My guess would've been that people still say it commonly.
    I was disappointed that I was the only person who laughed at the “blew his mind” line. I thought it was great, especially the look on Craig’s face.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Zarozzor wrote: »
    I was disappointed that I was the only person who laughed at the “blew his mind” line. I thought it was great, especially the look on Craig’s face.

It got laughs each time I watched it in theatres. Thought it was a great line.
    Oh man I flipping loved that. It was the most old-school Bond pun Craig ever got to give and I adored it. Despite what some have said I never want the cheesy Bond puns to go away. They’ve been a part of the films since the very beginning (“I think they were on their way to a funeral”).
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Oh man I flipping loved that. It was the most old-school Bond pun Craig ever got to give and I adored it. Despite what some have said I never want the cheesy Bond puns to go away. They’ve been a part of the films since the very beginning (“I think they were on their way to a funeral”).

I know that some fans say they are indifferent to the cheesy one liners but I love them. Even most of the dumbest manage to make me laugh.
  • Venutius wrote: »
    Absolutely yes heck yeah it's been said. I've been around since before 1971. My co-workers, family, and acquaintances use it today. I see it in modern pop culture. You gotta be kidding with a complaint like that.

Every audience I was with had a positive reaction to it. So maybe you are kidding. Can't think why though.

mind-blow-21.gif?w=364giphy.gif?resize=331%2C385&ssl=1200.gifhttps%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2017%2F03%2F27%2F11%2F56%2Fgiphy.gif712_1000.gif

Then there's Stark in Infinity War

bbe566adb79f3ed4d1d82a41984354ef.jpg
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    See? Boomer idioms still thrive to this very day. ;)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Boomer?

*flashbacks to NTTD*

991.gif
    Heavy, maaan - that's so far out it's like...cosmic. Bond is the commander and I'm just the space cadet.
    Hey, Nixon, don't harsh my vibe, man...peace!
  • NTTD is all-time classic Bond for me. Happy Christmas EON. You deserve it for a job well done.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Q&A with Rami, Daniel Craig, and Cary Fukunaga at a screening of No Time to Die in NYC. Dec. 7th 2021

I do think Hollywood has forgotten or is less inclined to provide pure fun these days. I get sick and tired of “emotion” used to disguise creative bankruptcy.

The new ghostbusters looks more of the same. Nothing like the original which was a sleazy, cynical, utterly hilarious riot. Just nostalgia and whimsy so people can tweet about how much they cried, like that’s the high water mark of entertainment.

I pine for the 80s.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    TripAces wrote: »
    00Heaven wrote: »

I agree. Much of Craig's tenure was filled with humor; it was just a little more subtle. I laughed heartily in CR when everyone at the poker table orders Bond's drink, much to LeChiffre's frustration. It still cracks me up. He whines, "Is that it? Is everyone ready to play poker now?" To which, Leiter replies something like, "Someone's in a hurry." This is good stuff.

Also of note: Bond's reaction to Q sitting next to him at the museum in SF. Remember, Bond has no idea at first that this is Q. He thinks it's some young "puff" sitting a little too close to him on a bench. Bond's reaction is effin' priceless. Craig gets the facial expression perfect.

His reaction to "I'm your new Quartermaster" - priceless

"You still have spots!" hahahaaaa
    And thus NTTD has reached $160m.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Mark my words, Craig will be fired from the role. They will get someone new, just wait and see.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Mark my words, Craig will be fired from the role. They will get someone new, just wait and see.

Craig will explode with anger at being let go.
    It would be the greatest injustice that ever happened to a Bond actor. EON will never live it down!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    That'll teach him for not being able to drive a stick.
  • QBranch wrote: »

And for having a bad knee!
    He's done his bit and we thank him for his service. AGAIN! Goodbye.

[And more seriously may never be able to thank him enough, really.]

5773430_170x100.png
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    QBranch wrote: »

And for having a bad knee!

I bet his knee isn’t bothering him too much now.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 214
    The Numbers has NTTD at $771m worldwide as of this weekend

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/No-Time-to-Die-(2021)#tab=box-office

Expect Spidey to suck out all the air from the Box Office next weekend....but it might still add $1m to its US total by the time the blu-ray is released.

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited December 2021 Posts: 4,343
    The Numbers has NTTD at $771m worldwide as of this weekend

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/No-Time-to-Die-(2021)#tab=box-office

Expect Spidey to suck out all the air from the Box Office next weekend....but it might still add $1m to its US total by the time the blu-ray is released.

It’s curious since The Numbers three days ago had NTTD at $761M while Mojo provided a bigger gross, $765M, and now they both list the estimated total of $771 so there’s definitely something off.
    Let’s see what happens with the actual numbers tomorrow.