NO TIME TO DIE - Questions Thread

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2021 Posts: 14,951
    They need to bring back villains with deadly fauna in general. I guess we had the Komodo dragon scene in Skyfall but that was mostly played for laughs. Jellyfish, barracuda, and of course Dr. No’s squid are all good options imo.

The scorpion drinking game was pretty Fleming-flavoured in Skyfall though?
    I watched NTTD the fourth time tonight.
    The question about what the flower in the does can't be answered for sure. But the idea that Madeleine is bluffing and that the tea is propably given that she obeys (somehow?!) makes the most sense for me.

The film can be confusing for sure. My dad explained my mum that Safin was Blofeld's son and my neighbour on the other hand thought that Madeleine was Blofeld's daughter. :D

To be fair, I guess if either of those were true it wouldn't change all that much and it would still more-or-less work! :)

mattjoes wrote: »
    I don't know whether it was mentioned in this thread or not, but I remember someone pointed out that they felt a story 'beat' was missing which explained Nomi asking M to make Bond 007 once again. I think the 'beat' was that after Nomi picks up Bond in Norway and tells him she's going on the plane with him, he says "thank you 007". His acknowledging her as 007 means something to her.

Weak old sauce though, isn't it. If I were Ms Lynch I'd feel a bit short changed by the way Nomi has almost no impact in this film at all. Ash is more important to the story!
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited October 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Why Primo is so adamant about making Swann drink the tea? “Safin wants you to drink”. Why Safin says “drinking the tea will make her see the light”? That’s quite unlikely to me that was just some regular tea. I believe he wanted to blind her or whatever - after all “he has plants for everything” - but Swann just figured out maybe based on his obsession with her eyes “needing him”. Quite confusing anyway.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    mtm wrote: »
    I don't know whether it was mentioned in this thread or not, but I remember someone pointed out that they felt a story 'beat' was missing which explained Nomi asking M to make Bond 007 once again. I think the 'beat' was that after Nomi picks up Bond in Norway and tells him she's going on the plane with him, he says "thank you 007". His acknowledging her as 007 means something to her.

Weak old sauce though, isn't it.

I don't know, works for me!

Speaking of Ash, I like that character. And his weird grimace at the boat when they discover he's working for the bad guys.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Speaking of Ash, I like that character. And his weird grimace at the boat when they discover he's working for the bad guys.

I really love that audible grin he has before going for the gun that Valdo kicks his way.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I really love that audible grin he has before going for the gun that Valdo kicks his way.
    Same, such a good little moment.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Oh yeah, I like Ash, he's a pretty memorable character. He's much more despicable than Valdo ever is.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    So. Um. Did all those anonymous, presumably innocent workers just get incinerated by the missiles?
    Is this the Bond version of "blowing up the Death Star was a war crime?"
  • mtm wrote: »
    They need to bring back villains with deadly fauna in general. I guess we had the Komodo dragon scene in Skyfall but that was mostly played for laughs. Jellyfish, barracuda, and of course Dr. No’s squid are all good options imo.

Yeah definitely, and I do love that scene. But I meant more along the lines of the villains tossing people to various deadly animals.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    So. Um. Did all those anonymous, presumably innocent workers just get incinerated by the missiles?
    Is this the Bond version of "blowing up the Death Star was a war crime?"

Guilty by association.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    Going to see it again tomorrow so let me throw it back at you guys... given all the questions here do you think there's anything I should really look out for tomorrow that I may have missed the last two times?
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Why don’t nomi and Madeline leave on the glider, is it meant for bond to escape? What happens to it
    edited October 2021 Posts: 7,526
    Why don’t nomi and Madeline leave on the glider, is it meant for bond to escape? What happens to it

I think the glider is meant to be a one-time use sort of thing in this mission. Get them to the island safely, in lieu of something else like a HALO jump. Gliders can't exactly take off under their own power.
    00Heaven wrote: »
    Going to see it again tomorrow so let me throw it back at you guys... given all the questions here do you think there's anything I should really look out for tomorrow that I may have missed the last two times?

For me, I want to try and focus on Valdo's exact allegiances throughout the film (mostly the beginning I guess) to try and figure out his relationship with MI6, Safin, and Spectre.

It seems like he defected from Russia to MI6, but then Safin convinced him to join team Safin, but then Bond was upset with M that he was kept on the payroll, but of course he would be on the payroll if he defected to them from Russia. Did Bond think M would cut him off when (Bond thought) M shut down Heracles?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yeah definitely, and I do love that scene. But I meant more along the lines of the villains tossing people to various deadly animals.

Ah okay, yeah I can deal with that! :)

I think the glider is meant to be a one-time use sort of thing in this mission. Get them to the island safely, in lieu of something else like a HALO jump. Gliders can't exactly take off under their own power.

I did wonder what the talk of it being 'gravity powered' or whatever it was was all about. What does that mean? And it's got a load of light bulbs at the back- weird!
  • RyanRyan Canada
    edited October 2021 Posts: 692
    I did wonder what the talk of it being 'gravity powered' or whatever it was was all about. What does that mean? And it's got a load of light bulbs at the back- weird!

I think "gravity powered" was just a quip about how it works as in "let gravity do its job!"
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ryan wrote: »

I think "gravity powered" was just a quip about how it works as in "let gravity do its job!"

I didn't take it that way: I felt like the camera lingered on its weird flashing rear end when he said that.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 7,526

I didn't take it that way: I felt like the camera lingered on its weird flashing rear end when he said that.

Now that you mention that, perhaps they were saying it is capable of powering up / taking off, and gravity charges the onboard powersource? Like, when it falls, the wind generates the energy.

A lot to think about for a gadget that wasn't in the film much, and served it's purpose.

I still think, the story they told had no indication the glider was to be used again after it got them safely to the island.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    I might pay attention more when I see the film again in a couple of hours to interpret the dialogue, but so far both times I've seen the film I considered the glider to be nothing more than a glorified parachute in terms of its relationship to the story. I don't mean that critically, I just mean I hadn't stopped to think about it all that much beyond Q giving Bond and Nomi something unique to approach the island.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Now that you mention that, perhaps they were saying it is capable of powering up / taking off, and gravity charges the onboard powersource? Like, when it falls, the wind generates the energy.

Yeah I honestly don't know. And the flashing lights in the back looked really Dr Who-level cheap - it was so odd.
    There's a few bits in this film that feels a bit scrappy and unrefined like that; things that I don't know why they're there.
    I still think, the story they told had no indication the glider was to be used again after it got them safely to the island.

Yes I didn't expect them to take off in it: no Bond vehicle gets used more than once! :)
    Plus she parked it stern out, classic mistake ;)
    edited October 2021 Posts: 40,470
    I might pay attention more when I see the film again in a couple of hours to interpret the dialogue, but so far both times I've seen the film I considered the glider to be nothing more than a glorified parachute in terms of its relationship to the story. I don't mean that critically, I just mean I hadn't stopped to think about it all that much beyond Q giving Bond and Nomi something unique to approach the island.

It's an aspect I could do without. CGI-centric action sequences like that do absolutely nothing for me. It could've been another HALO jump or generic parachuting sequence and I probably would've been even happier. Thankfully everything that comes after that more than makes up for an underwhelming entrance into Safin's arena.
  • Denbigh wrote: »

Ash was an absolute blast. Alongside Paloma, by far my favorite character and performance in the film. In my book, the best and most memorable henchman of the Craig era. I wish MGW had felt the same about needing to stick Ash into more of the film as he felt about Primo (who had some intense, mean-looking eyes and all but otherwise didn't do much for me on the performance front). Ash was a real surprise and just outright entertaining in a way few Bond henchmen have been before him.
    Denbigh wrote: »

Ash was an absolute blast. Alongside Paloma, by far my favorite character and performance in the film. In my book, the best and most memorable henchman of the Craig era. I wish MGW had felt the same about needing to stick Ash into more of the film as he felt about Primo (who had some intense, mean-looking eyes and all but otherwise didn't do much for me on the performance front). Ash was a real surprise and just outright entertaining in a way few Bond henchmen have been before him.

I've been a fan of Magnussen's for years so I was really happy when I saw that he joined the film. Unfortunately, the trailers spoiled his friend-to-foe twist, but I thought he was great, had just enough to work with, and I really loved how he plays up the goofy, friendly, almost cringe vibes he puts off in Jamaica before things quickly go south and his true, dastardly intentions are revealed.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

I've been a fan of Magnussen's for years so I was really happy when I saw that he joined the film. Unfortunately, the trailers spoiled his friend-to-foe twist, but I thought he was great, had just enough to work with, and I really loved how he plays up the goofy, friendly, almost cringe vibes he puts off in Jamaica before things quickly go south and his true, dastardly intentions are revealed.

Fortunately I didn't have that spoiled for me. I don't quite remember at which point it dawned on me, but I seem to recall the film does imbed some suggestions that Ash is not one of the good guys ahead of the reveal.

Fortunately I didn't have that spoiled for me. I don't quite remember at which point it dawned on me, but I seem to recall the film does imbed some suggestions that Ash is not one of the good guys ahead of the reveal.

I think so too, but again, I've only seen it the once. I really feel like this film is going to reward multiple repeat viewings, with how much detail and drama and information is packed into little moments and bits of dialogue and whatnot. I can't wait to piece more and more of it together after some more viewings.

Regarding Ash's reveal, there was a trailer I saw where it's that side mirror shot of someone driving and firing at Bond in the woods and it clearly looked like him to me, albeit really sinister looking. I haven't seen the film in over a week so I'm not even sure if that shot made the cut or not. It just instantly stood out to me in the trailer, though I guess it was a bit expected since I think we've had a traitor in every single installment of Craig's era, sans SF.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

It's an aspect I could do without. CGI-centric action sequences like that do absolutely nothing for me. It could've been another HALO jump or generic parachuting sequence and I probably would've been even happier. Thankfully everything that comes after that more than makes up for an underwhelming entrance into Safin's arena.

Yeah it's a bit Marvel.

He's a cracking bastard, really easy to hate- very effective. Much moreso than either Primo or Valdo I think.
    Ah yeah, I didn't have the Logan betrayal spoiled for me either, but for whatever reason it felt easy to predict. It's possible I did read it somewhere.

I did have the ending spoiled for me thanks to a random video title / thumbnail on YouTube's home page ( :'( ) but even that made me more excited to see how they were going to tell the story. My gf, who I watched it with, guessed the end as soon as Bond sent Madeleine and Mathilde off on the boat.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

I think so too, but again, I've only seen it the once. I really feel like this film is going to reward multiple repeat viewings, with how much detail and drama and information is packed into little moments and bits of dialogue and whatnot. I can't wait to piece more and more of it together after some more viewings.

Regarding Ash's reveal, there was a trailer I saw where it's that side mirror shot of someone driving and firing at Bond in the woods and it clearly looked like him to me, albeit really sinister looking. I haven't seen the film in over a week so I'm not even sure if that shot made the cut or not. It just instantly stood out to me in the trailer, though I guess it was a bit expected since I think we've had a traitor in every single installment of Craig's era, sans SF.

That shot would do it of course! It may simply have been that Bond came away with an unfavorable impression of Ash ("Book of Mormon" and all that—great line there) that painted him as an antagonistic, if not outright villainous, character for me.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I did have the ending spoiled for me thanks to a random video title / thumbnail on YouTube's home page ( :'( ) but even that made me more excited to see how they were going to tell the story. My gf, who I watched it with, guessed the end as soon as Bond sent Madeleine and Mathilde off on the boat.

I don't know if I had the ending spoiled as such, but all of the #NoTimeForSpoilers stuff on Twitter which the official 007 channels had launched did suggest that something big was happening in this film, and since Bond had already retired in the last one there weren't many ways it was likely to end, so it wasn't a massive surprise to me.
    Although one of the more makeshift members here did happen to mention Bond's child in the no spoilers review thread... :)
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    Ah yeah, I didn't have the Logan betrayal spoiled for me either, but for whatever reason it felt easy to predict. It's possible I did read it somewhere.

Interesting you say this. That was the precise point my friend guessed where everything would be going once I asked him more in depth about his thoughts on the film.

Also, thank you for the suggestion of Valdo tomorrow (today now?). I will keep an extra eye out. First time around I thought his "swaparoo" in Cuba was confusing just in general so I will pay more attention to him in particular this time.
  • Ah yeah, I didn't have the Logan betrayal spoiled for me either, but for whatever reason it felt easy to predict. It's possible I did read it somewhere.

I went into the film with strong inclinations of where it was all headed in part because of a dumb YouTube thumbnail that probably popped up for everyone in the world and that was probably the same as yours. Was it the one that advertised (without the question mark) "The End of James Bond?" That's about as subtle as calling a track title "Qui-Gon's Noble End." Gee, wonder what that cue is in reference to...

I didn't know 100% for sure but strongly suspected it was coming. The gun barrel forgoing the blood all but confirmed it for me. Very lame and discourteous of the maker of that YouTube video to do that, but there's a fair chance it all would have been on my mind anyway since there had been talk of killing Bond since Boyle's aborted version (which ironically sounds like it was probably a draft that didn't kill Bond in the end).

I went into the film with strong inclinations of where it was all headed in part because of a dumb YouTube thumbnail that probably popped up for everyone in the world and that was probably the same as yours. Was it the one that advertised (without the question mark) "The End of James Bond?" That's about as subtle as calling a track title "Qui-Gon's Noble End." Gee, wonder what that cue is in reference to...

I didn't know 100% for sure but strongly suspected it was coming. The gun barrel forgoing the blood all but confirmed it for me. Very lame and discourteous of the maker of that YouTube video to do that, but there's a fair chance it all would have been on my mind anyway since there had been talk of killing Bond since Boyle's aborted version (which ironically sounds like it was probably a draft that didn't kill Bond in the end).

The title of my video (which also appeared in the thumb nail) was "James Bond Death Scene - Sad" or something to very close effect...