NO TIME TO DIE - Questions Thread

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    matt_u wrote: »
    A possible answer to a question I posed before:
    How does Blofeld know that Bond will be at the meeting?

During the scene on the ship with Felix and Ash, Bond asks to Waldo how did Blofeld knew he would've been at the party, and Waldo looks at Ash, hinting that was him who leaked the info.

That makes sense, that's rather neat plotting.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited October 2021 Posts: 4,343
    I'm pretty sure he was hinting at Bond being a father. Bond having a family puts him in a dangerous new position. A never before seen position that basically means the end of James Bond.
    Given the fact that Blofeld was able to do all the things that he did while in prison it wouldn't be such a big deal for SPECTRE to find out about Mathilde...
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I'm pretty sure he was hinting at Bond being a father. Bond having a family puts him in a dangerous new position. A never before seen position that basically means the end of James Bond.
    Given the fact that Blofeld was able to do all the things that he did while in prison it wouldn't be such a big deal for SPECTRE to find out about Mathilde...

Absolutely, that makes much more sense.
    mattjoes wrote: »

Absolutely, that makes much more sense.

Without mentioning that he spent the previous let's say 4 years speaking to Swann. I'm not saying that she told him, but Blofeld was clearly interested in all the things related to Swann.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Minion wrote: »

There's no reason to believe the blinding was a bluff; stealing someone's sight would be a way to make them docile and obedient. Luckily for Primo, one of his eyes is fake.

Well, she splashed it on Primo, and he wasn't blinded. She also looks like she's bluffing.

And shortly beforehand, Safin was describing a plant that "makes you behave", which is almost certainly what was given to Madeleine.

• ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.

During the scene on the ship with Felix and Ash, Bond asks to Waldo how did Blofeld knew he would've been at the party, and Waldo looks at Ash, hinting that was him who leaked the info.

That's better, I think.
    Although I took that entire scene as Valdo mainly being confused why these two dudes don't know what's going on. He is under the impression Bond was working directly for Safin as he got him out of there and brought him to Ash and suddenly he asks all these questions that he kind of should know the answer to if he were in on it. So he looks at Ash like "Who are these guys? Why are you acting so strange?"

I'll have to start keeping a list of things I want to check out once the film is released on home video...
  • RyanRyan Canada
    I do indeed believe that the whole "Madeleine's secret" thing was misdirection. We're led to think it's something to do with Safin, but as the film progresses it seems more likely that what she has to tell James in Matera is that she's pregnant. Subsequently, Blofeld is now speaking about Mathilde when he says he knows her secret.
    Yep I agree.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Yes, I took it to be a reference to Mathilde, too.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    has anyone timed the pre-credits sequence?

Not sure if it was longer than the TWINE PTS but if not it must be close.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    It's about 24 minutes-ish.
    Yeah the main titles end at 28 minutes.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 301
    has anyone timed the pre-credits sequence?

Not sure if it was longer than the TWINE PTS but if not it must be close.

It was definitely longer. PTS in NTTD has about 24 minutes.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I'll have to start keeping a list of things I want to check out once the film is released on home video...

This is a great idea, I might have to do the same. I still need a second viewing in theaters but I know there are going to be lots of little moments and plot points I still don't pick up on that I'll be itching to figure out and piece together when it's available on 4K and I can watch it whenever.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ryan wrote: »
    I do indeed believe that the whole "Madeleine's secret" thing was misdirection. We're led to think it's something to do with Safin, but as the film progresses it seems more likely that what she has to tell James in Matera is that she's pregnant. Subsequently, Blofeld is now speaking about Mathilde when he says he knows her secret.

Plus and, I know Blowers is trying to mess James up so he overstates it a bit, but when he finds out it's not really the death of him at all. He's quite happy as it turns out!
    (The death of him is something else!)
    mtm wrote: »
    Ryan wrote: »

Plus and, I know Blowers is trying to mess James up so he overstates it a bit, but when he finds out it's not really the death of him at all. He's quite happy as it turns out!
    (The death of him is something else!)

Everything he says must be terribly important. A testimony to his greatness! A celebration of all that is Ernst Stavro Blofeld.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,165
    Minion wrote: »

There's no reason to believe the blinding was a bluff; stealing someone's sight would be a way to make them docile and obedient. Luckily for Primo, one of his eyes is fake.

Well, she splashed it on Primo, and he wasn't blinded. She also looks like she's bluffing.

And shortly beforehand, Safin was describing a plant that "makes you behave", which is almost certainly what was given to Madeleine.
    Since one of Primo's eyes is robotic, that shouldn't be affected by the plant whether it causes blindness or not. If his next appearance wasn't him immediately being killed, we'd probably know for sure.

I'm wondering if I'm the only one who interpreted Safin's "this one makes you obedient" line not quite so literally. Madeleine orders Matilde not to touch the plant presumably because she knows it would be harmful. Safin's remark, to me, was a cheeky "this one makes you do as you're told by your mother," response to Madeleine's outburst. I never interpreted that as actually being some sort of mind-control plant.
    The tea scene is still quite a mystery for me. What I got is that Safin’s plan was to make Madeleine blind but how Swann knew that info about the flowers?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2021 Posts: 14,950
    The tea scene is still quite a mystery for me. What I got is that Safin’s plan was to make Madeleine blind but how Swann knew that info about the flowers?

Wasn't it more that it was supposed to make drug her into being his subordinate? It only blinds you if it goes in your eyes I thought.
    Dammit, Jim! She's a psychologist not a botanist!
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited October 2021 Posts: 7,526

Wasn't it more that it was supposed to make drug her into being his subordinate? It only blinds you if it goes in your eyes I thought.

There's a theory too that the blindness was all made up by Swann so when she threw it at Primo he'd be a lot more concerned about it getting in his eye. Read that here by another member.

Also, not sure how a flower would make you "subordinate" anyway, seems like subordinate is sort of a loose definition for a person's behaviour. Maybe it has some sort of hypnotic effect?

Off topic, but I'm a little surprised the Bond franchise has never used the Irukanji Box Jellyfish; it's sting causes Irukanji Syndrom, and one of the side effects is that it causes the "feeling of impending doom", and I think there are records of victims of the sting killing themselves because of this.

And it's a jellyfish which kind of fits into Spectre's whole aesthetic.

I don't know. Safin says the tea will "make her see the light". Whatever that means. Safin also references her eyes during their reunion in her office, saying he never forgot her eyes begging him for help... he says they "still needs him". Perhaps he wanted to make her blind not only to keep her forever, easily, on his island but that way her eyes would've asked inherently for help...

One thing is for sure. Safin is easily one of the most damaged and creepy Bond villains ever.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

There's a theory too that the blindness was all made up by Swann so when she threw it at Primo he'd be a lot more concerned about it getting in his eye. Read that here by another member.

Yeah that's cool. I guess if it's true or not maybe doesn't matter too much, although I can imagine how Primo didn't see that one coming when she'd basically just told him that she was going to throw it in his face! :D
    Also, not sure how a flower would make you "subordinate" anyway, seems like subordinate is sort of a loose definition for a person's behaviour. Maybe it has some sort of hypnotic effect?

Just makes you suggestive I guess.
    Off topic, but I'm a little surprised the Bond franchise has never used the Irukanji Box Jellyfish; it's sting causes Irukanji Syndrom, and one of the side effects is that it causes the "feeling of impending doom", and I think there are records of victims of the sting killing themselves because of this.

Ooh yes, that's incredibly Fleming-ish.

Yeah that's cool. I guess if it's true or not maybe doesn't matter too much, although I can imagine how Primo didn't see that one coming when she'd basically just told him that she was going to throw it in his face! :D

Just makes you suggestive I guess.

Ooh yes, that's incredibly Fleming-ish.

I'm calling it, for my own Bond stories. ;)
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    Ooo. That idea is brilliant!
  • They need to bring back villains with deadly fauna in general. I guess we had the Komodo dragon scene in Skyfall but that was mostly played for laughs. Jellyfish, barracuda, and of course Dr. No’s squid are all good options imo.
    They need to bring back villains with deadly fauna in general. I guess we had the Komodo dragon scene in Skyfall but that was mostly played for laughs. Jellyfish, barracuda, and of course Dr. No’s squid are all good options imo.

Made me think of this for some reason:
    53hzf350z8kz.jpg
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I watched NTTD the fourth time tonight.
    The question about what the flower in the does can't be answered for sure. But the idea that Madeleine is bluffing and that the tea is propably given that she obeys (somehow?!) makes the most sense for me.

The film can be confusing for sure. My dad explained my mum that Safin was Blofeld's son and my neighbour on the other hand thought that Madeleine was Blofeld's daughter. :D
    Creasy47 wrote: »

This is a great idea, I might have to do the same. I still need a second viewing in theaters but I know there are going to be lots of little moments and plot points I still don't pick up on that I'll be itching to figure out and piece together when it's available on 4K and I can watch it whenever.
    Absolutely. My second viewing allowed me to pick up on little things I'd missed before. For instance, the first time I saw the film, by the time I got to the end, I had completely forgotten that Madeleine had something to say to Bond in Matera, but was interrupted by the bad guys (that something being of course the fact she was pregnant). I hadn't paid attention to Bond's toothbrush either. I'd also missed the significance of Safin (incorrectly) telling Bond that unlike 007, he would leave something behind after his death.

---

I don't know whether it was mentioned in this thread or not, but I remember someone pointed out that they felt a story 'beat' was missing which explained Nomi asking M to make Bond 007 once again. I think the 'beat' was that after Nomi picks up Bond in Norway and tells him she's going on the plane with him, he says "thank you 007". His acknowledging her as 007 means something to her.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,165
    The film can be confusing for sure. My dad explained my mum that Safin was Blofeld's son and my neighbour on the other hand thought that Madeleine was Blofeld's daughter. :D

Reminds me of a remark from the most recent JB&F podcast where a group of three journalists were debating whether it was Madeleine or Vesper who was Bond's wife (which is already wrong), and the third guy remarks, "Wait, wasn't Vesper a drink?"