NO TIME TO DIE - Questions Thread

Comments

• Ah yeah, I didn't have the Logan betrayal spoiled for me either, but for whatever reason it felt easy to predict. It's possible I did read it somewhere.

I did have the ending spoiled for me thanks to a random video title / thumbnail on YouTube's home page ( :'( ) but even that made me more excited to see how they were going to tell the story. My gf, who I watched it with, guessed the end as soon as Bond sent Madeleine and Mathilde off on the boat.

I went into the film with strong inclinations of where it was all headed in part because of a dumb YouTube thumbnail that probably popped up for everyone in the world and that was probably the same as yours. Was it the one that advertised (without the question mark) "The End of James Bond?" That's about as subtle as calling a track title "Qui-Gon's Noble End." Gee, wonder what that cue is in reference to...

I didn't know 100% for sure but strongly suspected it was coming. The gun barrel forgoing the blood all but confirmed it for me. Very lame and discourteous of the maker of that YouTube video to do that, but there's a fair chance it all would have been on my mind anyway since there had been talk of killing Bond since Boyle's aborted version (which ironically sounds like it was probably a draft that didn't kill Bond in the end).

The title of my video (which also appeared in the thumb nail) was "James Bond Death Scene - Sad" or something to very close effect...

Oh. Yeah, that's quite a bit more blatant. No real ambiguity there.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Speaking of Ash, I like that character. And his weird grimace at the boat when they discover he's working for the bad guys.

I really love that audible grin he has before going for the gun that Valdo kicks his way.
    Same, such a good little moment.

Ash was an absolute blast. Alongside Paloma, by far my favorite character and performance in the film. In my book, the best and most memorable henchman of the Craig era. I wish MGW had felt the same about needing to stick Ash into more of the film as he felt about Primo (who had some intense, mean-looking eyes and all but otherwise didn't do much for me on the performance front). Ash was a real surprise and just outright entertaining in a way few Bond henchmen have been before him.

I've been a fan of Magnussen's for years so I was really happy when I saw that he joined the film. Unfortunately, the trailers spoiled his friend-to-foe twist, but I thought he was great, had just enough to work with, and I really loved how he plays up the goofy, friendly, almost cringe vibes he puts off in Jamaica before things quickly go south and his true, dastardly intentions are revealed.

Fortunately I didn't have that spoiled for me. I don't quite remember at which point it dawned on me, but I seem to recall the film does imbed some suggestions that Ash is not one of the good guys ahead of the reveal.

That Bond took an instant dislike to him? And that Felix had nothing good to say about him?

I wonder if Ash wasn't inspired by Graham Greene's The Quiet American, especially with the equally clean-cut Brendan Fraser incarnation in the superb if largely undervalued 2002 adaptation...
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Feyador wrote: »
    Speaking of Ash, I like that character. And his weird grimace at the boat when they discover he's working for the bad guys.

I really love that audible grin he has before going for the gun that Valdo kicks his way.

Ash was an absolute blast. Alongside Paloma, by far my favorite character and performance in the film. In my book, the best and most memorable henchman of the Craig era. I wish MGW had felt the same about needing to stick Ash into more of the film as he felt about Primo (who had some intense, mean-looking eyes and all but otherwise didn't do much for me on the performance front). Ash was a real surprise and just outright entertaining in a way few Bond henchmen have been before him.

I've been a fan of Magnussen's for years so I was really happy when I saw that he joined the film. Unfortunately, the trailers spoiled his friend-to-foe twist, but I thought he was great, had just enough to work with, and I really loved how he plays up the goofy, friendly, almost cringe vibes he puts off in Jamaica before things quickly go south and his true, dastardly intentions are revealed.

Fortunately I didn't have that spoiled for me. I don't quite remember at which point it dawned on me, but I seem to recall the film does imbed some suggestions that Ash is not one of the good guys ahead of the reveal.

That Bond took an instant dislike to him? And that Felix had nothing good to say about him?

I wonder if Ash wasn't inspired by Graham Greene's The Quiet American, especially with the equally clean-cut Brendan Fraser incarnation in the superb if largely undervalued 2002 adaptation...

It could have gone either way. They could have shown dislike towards him at the beginning, and then appreciation for him once he'd proved himself.

It wasn't a giveaway at all that he was going to end up betraying them.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2021 Posts: 14,965
    I didn't know 100% for sure but strongly suspected it was coming. The gun barrel forgoing the blood all but confirmed it for me. Very lame and discourteous of the maker of that YouTube video to do that, but there's a fair chance it all would have been on my mind anyway since there had been talk of killing Bond since Boyle's aborted version (which ironically sounds like it was probably a draft that didn't kill Bond in the end).

Yeah chat about killing Bond has been swirling around since then, and folks had been discussing it as a possibility... it didn't come as a massive shock. Which in a way kind of worked for it, because having a really big suspicion that he's going to die makes the first time where you see that scene where he puts them on the raft and says he'll be right back feel like a death knell is toiling.. there was a real knot in my stomach because I pretty much knew exactly where it was going, but I didn't want it to.
    Then he gets shot and you think "ah damn, that's it then" (why was he running so carelessly? Who did he think opened the doors?!)
    mtm wrote: »

Yeah chat about killing Bond has been swirling around since then, and folks had been discussing it as a possibility... it didn't come as a massive shock. Which in a way kind of worked for it, because having a really big suspicion that he's going to die makes the first time where you see that scene where he puts them on the raft and says he'll be right back feel like a death knell is toiling.. there was a real knot in my stomach because I pretty much knew exactly where it was going, but I didn't want it to.

Personally I think that's great filmmaking. You were feeling the same thing as the characters in the scene.
  • Feyador wrote: »

It could have gone either way. They could have shown dislike towards him at the beginning, and then appreciation for him once he'd proved himself.

It wasn't a giveaway at all that he was going to end up betraying them.

That's it actually. I don't think the movie did suggest Ash was a turncoat until the reveal actually happens. I just figured he would be someone who inadvertently gets in the way of Bond doing his job.
    He was brilliant I thought. Really a captivating character and actor. My mind keeps trying to spin him as some metaphor for the toxicity of "fans" or a "fandom", that he pursues Bond to the point of destruction, but I don't think there's enough there. He just keeps saying he's a big fan of Bond, which obviously, it is what it is for the film, but my mind keeps trying to paint something that probably isn't there.
  • He was brilliant I thought. Really a captivating character and actor. My mind keeps trying to spin him as some metaphor for the toxicity of "fans" or a "fandom", that he pursues Bond to the point of destruction, but I don't think there's enough there. He just keeps saying he's a big fan of Bond, which obviously, it is what it is for the film, but my mind keeps trying to paint something that probably isn't there.

I actually took that as perhaps a modern variation on DAF's "You just killed James Bond!" where Bond is some kind of superstar celebrity spy that everyone knows about from Amsterdam to Timbuktu.

It's not quite so ridiculous here because it's just within the international spy community. But it is pretty funny that Ash talks about Bond as if Ash has Bond's spy equivalent of a baseball card at home and wants him to sign it.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 735
    What if anything is going on in the street scene with Ash, Felix & Bond! Recall that Ash bumps into someone, I think, and then does he or someone else say something?

It'd seemed so ... especially as the camera lingered on Ash for a moment while Bond & Felix kept walking, entirely oblivious to it. Maybe it was meant to suggest a bumbling, inexperienced figure .... but otherwise innocent of any bad intentions? So, in effect, an act of misdirection on the part of the filmmakers?
    What if anything is going on in the street scene with Ash, Felix & Bond! Recall that Ash bumps into someone, I think, and then does he or someone else say something?

It'd seemed so ... especially as the camera lingered on Ash for a moment while Bond & Felix kept walking, entirely oblivious to it. Maybe it was meant to suggest a bumbling, inexperienced figure .... but otherwise innocent of any bad intentions? So, in effect, an act of misdirection on the part of the filmmakers?

Could be. I vaguely recall the part you're mentioning. Ash's over-the-top adoration of Bond already did suggest a kind of rookie-ness or inexperience. It was a little odd that Paloma embodied much the same thing. But they were both used so little in the film I guess that didn't matter in the end.

Could be. I vaguely recall the part you're mentioning. Ash's over-the-top adoration of Bond already did suggest a kind of rookie-ness or inexperience. It was a little odd that Paloma embodied much the same thing. But they were both used so little in the film I guess that didn't matter in the end.

Or, that Paloma, like Ash, is pretending to me more inexperienced than she really is ...
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    Even without the trailers, it was obvious that Ash was a villain because of economy in storytelling. Why would Felix would have an assistant who's in all his scenes but brings very little to the story except a few comic moments? Because he will double-cross him and Bond at some point.

Or, that Paloma, like Ash, is pretending to me more inexperienced than she really is ...

I’m still not sure what they were going for with Paloma. It doesn’t make sense that she would tell Bond she had only been in training for three weeks and act all skittish if that weren’t the case. I think they may have been going for some kind of humor here that she’s really nervous about being in the field but then busts out all these incredible, natural combat skills she has. A case of her drastically underestimating her own ability.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 7,526
    Even without the trailers, it was obvious that Ash was a villain because of economy in storytelling. Why would Felix would have an assistant who's in all his scenes but brings very little to the story except a few comic moments? Because he will double-cross him and Bond at some point.

I see what you're saying but again I think it's a little hindsight is 2020. You're right about economy of storytelling indicating that he's a little more important than they're letting on, but it could have led to him doing something good, not just something evil.

In other words, you're right about everything, but you're presenting Ash double-crossing them as the only possible resolution to what they were setting up.

I’m still not sure what they were going for with Paloma. It doesn’t make sense that she would tell Bond she had only been in training for three weeks and act all skittish if that weren’t the case. I think they may have been going for some kind of humor here that she’s really nervous about being in the field but then busts out all these incredible, natural combat skills she has. A case of her drastically underestimating her own ability.

Maybe the filmmakers were both providing some of the glamour that we associate with classic Bond Girls, while reverse-satirizing the more unfortunate examples of helper agents? (Mary Goodnight ... Rosie Carver, I'm looking at you ....)
    I think that the character of Paloma was conceived, at least in part, as a deliberste riposte to all those negative associations that many people (not the cognoscenti, like us) still feel about Bond Girls.

Meaning, the filmmakers are satirizing audience expectations. 'Oh, here we go ... another ditzy, pretty young Bond girl,' you can imagine many saying to themselves upon seeing her at first.

Except she's not ditzy under the surface ... and probably uses her "inexperience" strategically so that men, especially, will underestimate her. Hence Bond's wryly skeptical comment afterwards, "Only three weeks ... huh?!" Or words to that effect ...

And that she has no interest in sleeping with Bond only furthers the riposte ....
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Ryan wrote: »
    I might pay attention more when I see the film again in a couple of hours to interpret the dialogue, but so far both times I've seen the film I considered the glider to be nothing more than a glorified parachute in terms of its relationship to the story. I don't mean that critically, I just mean I hadn't stopped to think about it all that much beyond Q giving Bond and Nomi something unique to approach the island.

It's an aspect I could do without. CGI-centric action sequences like that do absolutely nothing for me. It could've been another HALO jump or generic parachuting sequence and I probably would've been even happier. Thankfully everything that comes after that more than makes up for an underwhelming entrance into Safin's arena.

Usually I'd agree wholeheartedly. CGI action sequences are the main reason I can't get into Marvel. However, I don't mind it too much here since it's a brief scene and more or less just a means to an end. Once they're on the island I'm all good. Fortunately it's a little tidier (to quote Safin) than a certain other Bond CGI action sequence. ;)
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.

I don't recall what the Jamaican man says - I think some kind of local insult? - but I took it as a) Ash not being able to integrate into his environment the way these two grizzled field operators are and b) Ash maybe being a bit racist. I think he immediately checks for his sunglasses and wallet to see if he had been pickpocketed. But maybe I am imagining things.

Also, did Ash fire through his own cars windshield in the forest scene? That seems ill advised, doesn't it? I understand the advantage of not leaning Out, especially in a forest, but still the possible negative effects on your ability to see through the window as well as just a bump in the road leading you to basically shoot into you own motor block seem a bit crazy.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

I don't recall what the Jamaican man says - I think some kind of local insult?

He calls them Babylon.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Even after my third viewing I still didn't catch what Felix says to Bond during the sinking scene. I believe Bond responds "you're from Milwaukee" and I gather that it's supposed to be some continued tension breaking banter, not unlike their rapport in the rest of the scene. Did anybody else catch it? I love their relationship in this film so I regret that I missed a bit of dialogue between them.

I don't recall what the Jamaican man says - I think some kind of local insult? - but I took it as a) Ash not being able to integrate into his environment the way these two grizzled field operators are and b) Ash maybe being a bit racist. I think he immediately checks for his sunglasses and wallet to see if he had been pickpocketed. But maybe I am imagining things.
    Yes, I think you might be onto something here ...
    Even after my third viewing I still didn't catch what Felix says to Bond during the sinking scene. I believe Bond responds "you're from Milwaukee" and I gather that it's supposed to be some continued tension breaking banter, not unlike their rapport in the rest of the scene. Did anybody else catch it? I love their relationship in this film so I regret that I missed a bit of dialogue between them.

Something about growing up on "shrimp boats," I think, presumably an anecdote from Felix's past (on the Gulf of Mexico?), to which Bond responds, "you're from Milwaukee." Felix replies with something along the lines of, 'Oh, is that what I told you.'

There so much of interest going on this movie, especially with some of the dialogue (both extraneous and not) buried within the sound mix, that it's difficult to pick-up let alone recall it all.

I don't recall what the Jamaican man says - I think some kind of local insult?

He calls them Babylon.

Thanks, that's funny ... and accurate, at least regarding Ash, as things will develop.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    Something about growing up on "shrimp boats," I think, presumably an anecdote from Felix's past (on the Gulf of Mexico?), to which Bond responds, "you're from Milwaukee." Felix replies with something along the lines of, 'Oh, is that what I told you.'

Not being from Milwaukee I don't get Felix's slip up, but I could guess it from Bond's answer. Is it well known that you can't fish for shrimp around Milwaukee/Lake Michigan or something?? Or is it an activity not associated with that region of the US, causing Bond to immediately question it?
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Magnussen does a lot with very little, I liked his performance and character in the movie.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 7,526
    Mallory wrote: »
    Magnussen does a lot with very little, I liked his performance and character in the movie.

Same! Very captivating guy. I liked that they went with less screen time with these great characters; it would have been a shame if they’d outstayed their welcome. Less is more IMO.
  • RyanRyan Canada

Yes, I think you might be onto something here ...

There so much of interest going on this movie, especially with some of the dialogue (both extraneous and not) buried within the sound mix, that it's difficult to pick-up let alone recall it all.

I think that's the problem I was having. So much to look at in addition to the sound of the water pouring in, explosions, and music so the dialogue got a little bit lost in the theatre (among some other scenes in the film).

Bring on the home media release so we can further crack some of these mysteries!

Not being from Milwaukee I don't get Felix's slip up, but I could guess it from Bond's answer. Is it well known that you can't fish for shrimp around Milwaukee/Lake Michigan or something?? Or is it an activity not associated with that region of the US, causing Bond to immediately question it?

Yes, I think that's right.

To me (and I'm from Nova Scotia but living in Montreal), "Milwaukee" connotes urban, where there wouldn't, I would think, be a large-scale shrimp fishing industry. Whereas that's something I would associate with Louisiana or Texas, where Felix in the books is born.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer

Yes, I think that's right.

To me (and I'm from Nova Scotia but living in Montreal), "Milwaukee" connotes urban, where there wouldn't, I would think, be a large-scale shrimp fishing industry. Whereas that's something I would associate with Louisiana or Texas, where Felix in the books is born.

Ah right that makes sense then. Thanks!
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    Magnussen already had a couple of scenes with Jeffrey Wright in Game Night, a surprisingly good action comedy from 2018. Magnussen played some kind of a dimwit, one of the main characters (he had an extremely good scene where he tries to bribe somebody by passing banknotes), while Jeffrey Wright basically has an extended (and uncredited) cameo at the beginning.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 68
    I saw NTTD for the second time today and loved it even more!! I went in with looking for things that I missed. The toothbrush, the strand of hair in Madeleine’s office, Walter and Grommit, the Blofeld’s eye and I was happily relieved to catch them all and was really impressed how the possible plot holes that I thought I saw on the first viewing were eliminated on this second viewing. One new minor misstep that came up on the second viewing though was in Norway when Safin showed up in the woods for Madeleine and Mathilde, why didn’t Madeleine just shoot him lol? She had just shot two of his henchmen! Besides that very minor quip this movie really just flows! It never bogs down and even if it does a little it’s to explain the plot and develop the characters even more. I also really like how the action doesn’t over take the film it enhances it. A lot of Bond movies is a little plot to build up the next big, obvious action sequence. The action in NTTD is just a part of the film and flows with it instead of overtake and overshadow the plot. All in all this second viewing just solidifies that NTTD will be a top 5 Bond movie for me indefinitely!