The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    mattjoes wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    Do we have a list somewhere of the scenes where we here the Bond theme? Not only a few notes but the whole Bond melody? Like the ones in the hotel room (FRWL) or during the Little Nellie action.

Here's a YT video someone made of every appearance of the Bond theme in the movies:

I really struggle to hear the theme in some of these like TLD. What part of theme is at 1:08:46?

Yeah I can't quite work that one out. Is it based on the Bond vamp maybe?

I don't hear it either, neither melodically nor harmonically.

I've a quick question for all you music people...what is the word 'vamp'. I've heard it used on here a lot, but I've never known what exactly it is, save for a short way of saying 'vampire'.
  • What’s gadget has Bond been assigned most often throughout the movies (not counting a tricked out vehicle)? My mind jumps to a combination lock solver. Off the top of my head Bond has some variation of that in YOLT, OHMSS, MR, and TND, but there’s probably another gadget that has it beat.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    @SomethingThatAteHim Would you count a watch?
  • It would be interesting to know if he was given a watch more than anything else but I guess I’m wondering more about the specific function of the gadget. I bet a watch would be #1 after a car though (or maybe even topping a car?).
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited August 2021 Posts: 13,879
    I think he has more tracking devices or bug detectors than lockpicks.
    I'd say probably a watch. Even SPECTRE has one! Oh and it might be for the controversial thread, but I want them to bring back the suitcase from FRWL.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2021 Posts: 14,861
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Do we have a list somewhere of the scenes where we here the Bond theme? Not only a few notes but the whole Bond melody? Like the ones in the hotel room (FRWL) or during the Little Nellie action.

Here's a YT video someone made of every appearance of the Bond theme in the movies:

I really struggle to hear the theme in some of these like TLD. What part of theme is at 1:08:46?

Yeah I can't quite work that one out. Is it based on the Bond vamp maybe?

I don't hear it either, neither melodically nor harmonically.

I've a quick question for all you music people...what is the word 'vamp'. I've heard it used on here a lot, but I've never known what exactly it is, save for a short way of saying 'vampire'.

In the Bond theme it's the four-note repeated sequence which the strings (usually) play under the twangy guitar bit: so in the classic gunbarrel sequence you get the brassy fanfare as the white dots cross the screen, then the vamp plays as Bond strolls across the screen from the right, when he shoots the 'riff' part of the theme (twangy guitar tune) plays.
    What’s gadget has Bond been assigned most often throughout the movies (not counting a tricked out vehicle)? My mind jumps to a combination lock solver. Off the top of my head Bond has some variation of that in YOLT, OHMSS, MR, and TND, but there’s probably another gadget that has it beat.

I guess his Shaper Image card in AVTAK is a sort of variation on that too, along with the lockpick in TLD; although maybe lockpicks aren't quite the same.

I would guess explosives would be the other alternative? The GE pen, MR watch, Spectre watch, TLD keyfob, TND lighter, LTK Dentonite toothpaste, DAD watch detonator, must be a few more... Would those all count as the same thing?
  • Yeah explosives were my other thought. And good call on the tracking devices as well, Q Branch.

I guess it just struck me how often the combo lock solver was used because I usually only remember it being in OHMSS (because the scene is so good!) but then it’s popped up in almost all the Bond films I’ve rewatched recently. It’s sort of a weirdly specific gadget to use so often, but I guess it is practical and an easy way to have some cool near-future tech.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Are there any Opera heads here?
    I was just watching QoS in my Craig re-watch leading up to NTTD and as always the Tosca scene stuck out to me. I've never seen the Opera, so I read the plot summary on Wikipedia and something seems off. The scene that is taking place while Bond is listening in on the Quantum meeting is seemingly an execution. Then, during Bonds flight/fight with Quantum goons we hear and see another scene where a man and a woman sing together and the woman then stabs the man. That second part very clearly seems to be Tosca killing Scarpia at the end of Act 2, but from the plot synopsis I can't find an execution up until the very end of Act 3. So am I just interpreting this wrong or did they show scenes out of order? Does anybody know this or maybe can identify the music of the earlier scene?
    I think the director mixed and matched the scenes and the music for more effect.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Gerard wrote: »
    I think the director mixed and matched the scenes and the music for more effect.

That was always my assumption. I wasn't familiar with Tosca at the time but I had always assumed it was cut and displayed for maximum effect alongside the action unfolding outside of the play itself, merely for artistic effect and cause it looks cool. Otherwise, that whole play would've been over in 5-10 minutes.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

That was always my assumption. I wasn't familiar with Tosca at the time but I had always assumed it was cut and displayed for maximum effect alongside the action unfolding outside of the play itself, merely for artistic effect and cause it looks cool. Otherwise, that whole play would've been over in 5-10 minutes.

I wasn't even going to comment on how, apparently there are people in the dining room while the Opera is being performed...

I wasn't even going to comment on how, apparently there are people in the dining room while the Opera is being performed...

Made it that whole way for a fancy event but opted to eat instead. That food must've been stellar.
    I was just watching QoS in my Craig re-watch leading up to NTTD and as always the Tosca scene stuck out to me. I've never seen the Opera, so I read the plot summary on Wikipedia and something seems off. The scene that is taking place while Bond is listening in on the Quantum meeting is seemingly an execution. Then, during Bonds flight/fight with Quantum goons we hear and see another scene where a man and a woman sing together and the woman then stabs the man. That second part very clearly seems to be Tosca killing Scarpia at the end of Act 2, but from the plot synopsis I can't find an execution up until the very end of Act 3. So am I just interpreting this wrong or did they show scenes out of order? Does anybody know this or maybe can identify the music of the earlier scene?
    I have the 2007 Tosca DVD, and in QOS, when we first see the scaffold go up and the eye folding down, this moment is near the end of act 1, about 44 minutes in.

At about 45 minutes, people are led out to be executed, with the execution just before the end of act 1 (nearing 47 minutes).

We see Tosca stab Scarpia. This is in act 2, at 1:31:30.

Conclusion: It's in order, except for one quick shot in QOS where there is a brick-like pattern shown on the pupil of the eye projection in the background, and the eye appears to deteriorate. On the Tosca DVD, this moment is at 1:10:51, a while before the stabbing, but in QOS, immediately after it.
  • What’s gadget has Bond been assigned most often throughout the movies (not counting a tricked out vehicle)? My mind jumps to a combination lock solver. Off the top of my head Bond has some variation of that in YOLT, OHMSS, MR, and TND, but there’s probably another gadget that has it beat.

This is an intriguing question. If we're talking form, then surely no other gadget has been used more by Bond than cars or watches. It would be interesting to count all the instances and see which has made more appearances.

If we're talking function then I suspect it would come down to locksmithing, tracking, or explosives as has been mentioned. Bond uses a credit card lock-pick in TWINE as well. Again, it would be interesting to add up all the instances and see which has featured most often.
    There is an inconsistency in AVTAK. Tanya Roberts' character introduces herself as 'Stacey Sutton' in the scene at her house, but in the chateau party scene she says her name is 'Ms. No-I-Didn't'. Can anyone explain?
  • Pre-NTTD, I count 13 instances of Bond using or being issued a gadget-laden car: GF, TB, OHMSS, TSWLM, FYEO, TLD, GE, TND, TWINE, DAD, CR, SF, and SP.

While there is a tricked-out car in YOLT, it is neither owned by or used by Bond.

In OHMSS, his Aston Martin carries equipment in the compartment similar to the AM in CR.

Bond uses a tricked-out watch in TB, LALD, TSWLM, MR, FYEO, OP, GE, TND, TWINE, DAD, and SP. Including NSNA brings the total to 12.

As far as form goes, cars take the win. But watches aren't far behind.
  • mattjoes wrote: »
    There is an inconsistency in AVTAK. Tanya Roberts' character introduces herself as 'Stacey Sutton' in the scene at her house, but in the chateau party scene she says her name is 'Ms. No-I-Didn't'. Can anyone explain?

I'll field this one. "No-I-Didn't" is the name Stacey adopted from her first husband. Irish in origin, it's often confused with the Irish surname "No-U-Didn't," which dropped the "O" from "O'No-U-Didn't" sometime around the turn of the 20th century after sparking an unnecessary number of fist fights upon first introductions.
    gadget rings: 2
    knife gadgets: 2
    bug detectors: 3
    recording devices: 3
    safe crackers: 4
    pen gadgets: 4
    lock picks: 5
    gadget glasses/goggles: 5
    bathroom accessory gadgets: 5
    scuba gadgets: 5
    grappling gadgets: 5
    tobacciana gadgets: 6
    decoders/hackers: 7
    phone gadgets: 9
    tracking devices: 10
    gadget cameras: 12
    gadget guns: 12
    gadget watches: 15
    gadget explosives: 21
  • Excellent work, @QBranch! For gadget watches are you counting different gadgets within the same watch in some cases (LALD, for instance)? Otherwise, I’m curious which three I’m missing.
    Just went through my prop master list. Not counting multiple gadgets outfitted in one watch, but I did include NTTD; there are two separate watches in DAD (remember the pin detonator watch was confiscated in North Korea, then later, Q issued him his 20th, the watch with crown-mounted laser).

Also, Roger had the unseen garrotte rope in his watch in AVTAK, worn during the Eiffel Tower chase:

https://propstoreauction.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/78/lot/18322/
  • Ah, that makes sense.
    QBranch wrote: »
    I have the 2007 Tosca DVD, and in QOS, when we first see the scaffold go up and the eye folding down, this moment is near the end of act 1, about 44 minutes in.

At about 45 minutes, people are led out to be executed, with the execution just before the end of act 1 (nearing 47 minutes).

We see Tosca stab Scarpia. This is in act 2, at 1:31:30.

Conclusion: It's in order, except for one quick shot in QOS where there is a brick-like pattern shown on the pupil of the eye projection in the background, and the eye appears to deteriorate. On the Tosca DVD, this moment is at 1:10:51, a while before the stabbing, but in QOS, immediately after it.

Thank you!
    My pleasure! Their clothes are a bit different on my copy. Other than that, it's pretty faithful. It's cool to see the rear projection eye open up too. It splits apart like two sliding doors.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Is QoS the only time we see Bond properly drunk (the plane chat with Mathis)?
    Mallory wrote: »

I guess you could argue he's pretty drunk in M's apartment in SF, or the scenes preceding it.
  • LocqueLocque Escaped from a Namur prison
    Is No Time To Die the first Bond movie with a 3D version?
    Mallory wrote: »

I guess you could argue he's pretty drunk in M's apartment in SF, or the scenes preceding it.

Also the scene in SP when he talks to the rat.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    A question for the forum.
    Is there an existing discussion for outright Bond advertisements?
    My current thought is to collect the No Time To Die product reveals. Searching Google associated with MI6 Community I didn't find one--noting it's different than the Bondian Ads intent.

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/1555/bondian-ads#latest

Or if someone starts it, they will come.
    corn-field-10479889.jpg
  • QBranch wrote: »
    gadget rings: 2
    knife gadgets: 2
    bug detectors: 3
    recording devices: 3
    safe crackers: 4
    pen gadgets: 4
    lock picks: 5
    gadget glasses/goggles: 5
    bathroom accessory gadgets: 5
    scuba gadgets: 5