The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited July 2021 Posts: 2,032
    I’m trying to think which Bond villain has the earliest appearance in their respective film.

Is it Sanchez in LTK? Or maybe Scaramanga? Blofeld turns up pretty quickly in DAF.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That’s a fun question: I would think Sanchez is a pretty good bet as he’s in the first scene isn’t he? Otherwise maybe 006 in Goldeneye?
  • Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    Scaramanga must be earliest; he's on the beach with Andrea as the film opens.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Tokoloshe2 wrote: »

I'd say Scaramanga too.
    Red Grant appears early in FRWL in the pts as well.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Benny wrote: »

I'd say Scaramanga too.
    Red Grant appears early in FRWL in the pts as well.

Yes, I concur. It surely has to be Scaramanga.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I too agree with Scaramanga ... @Tokoloshe2
    cut my superfluous papilla off and call me
    Bwana if I'm wrong ! ;)
    Scaramanga walks into the scene 18s after the film opens.

Red Grant's feet are seen earlier, but his face only appears around 25s (from a distance).
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Is the, nine years later time jump in GE, the only time we get such a jump in a Bond film?
    I can’t think of any other film that has such an occurrence.
    Is the, nine years later time jump in GE, the only time we get such a jump in a Bond film?

Its the longest time jump so far.

Skyfall has three months (pts to post titles),
    NTTD has, I believe, a jump of 5 years.

I cant think of any others where they have a noted time jump.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    If you strictly follow the dates seen in CR and QOS, then Bond locates Mr White at his villa a whole two years after Vesper's death.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Mallory wrote: »

DAD.

DAD.

So GE, DAD and SF all feature this element of time jumps to varying degrees of length. So it's a pretty recent development in Bond films, perhaps indicative of a trend in filmmaking of the last quarter of a century? I don't really know for sure, but it could be.
    OHMSS takes place over a three month period, September through to End of December.
  • MakeItWorkforYouMakeItWorkforYou originating out of Belarus.
    I would like to see everyone's thoughts of Scarpine, played by Patrick Dauchau in AVTAK- I've always been intrigued by him. Very plain man. But very handsome too- and for a guy like me that speaks volumes. Well dressed, we can tell he's well off, perhaps even wealthy. But I wonder what you think. I look in his eyes and wonder what he's thinking. My other favorite character of AVTAK is Karl Mortner. "Steady pegasus Steddy"
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I don t think Scarpine has too many frieunds.
    I'm sure he is amoung frieunds in Zorin Industries.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I would like to see everyone's thoughts of Scarpine, played by Patrick Dauchau in AVTAK- I've always been intrigued by him. Very plain man. But very handsome too- and for a guy like me that speaks volumes. Well dressed, we can tell he's well off, perhaps even wealthy. But I wonder what you think. I look in his eyes and wonder what he's thinking. My other favorite character of AVTAK is Karl Mortner. "Steady pegasus Steddy"

Honestly, I think Scarpine is one of the worst henchman. First of all: "Scarpine". I get it, "unusual" name. In a film that also features the alien name "Zorin" from planet Zorg. A five-year-old would come up with these ridiculous names.

Secondly, I don't think Bauchau is doing good acting here. I've seen him in smaller parts in other films where he does a lot better. When he first meets Bonds, his line-reading is flat and there's a strange pause at some point during which he seems to be thinking about what else he had to say according to the script. His line-reading is also terribly wooden. Moore keeps looking at him with a smile that seems to hint at either irritation or a prank being cooked in his mind.

Bauchau does a little better during the rest of the movie, though he always moves to the back. He's demoted to the level of thug, albeit the one that Zorin keeps in his inner circle. But he's just a dude in a suit, doing nothing especially different than Zorin's jockeys, girls, engineers. I like the crazy moment when he and Zorin maw down everyone (for absolutely no reason) but even then, he's just the guy next to Zorin. Not that any of this is Bauchau's fault; rather, I'd say he's underused and never lives up to his ominous name (which, I must repeat, is stupid.) The thing with the dynamite is the five-year-old writing the script again. I mean, an evil German with a monocle and a fistful of cartoonish dynamite in a Zepelin is--look, I can't even begin to describe the sheer stupidity of this clownish, childish stuff in my Bond film.

I know this is a matter of taste but I don't think Scarpine looks particularly handsome either. Is he wealthy? I don't know. I guess Zorin takes good care of him.

And Mortner, like I said, looks like the kind of "evil" only a child's mind can come up with. Fleming would've hated these characters, or so I'm inclined to think because I can't presume to know what the master would have thought, of course. ;-) Just to press the issue; this is a film that features a stereotypical French PI named after a vegetable, a monocle-wearing evil German doctor--only the moustache-twirling is lacking--and two blokes with names from a Saturday-morning cartoon. So unfortunately, I cannot join you in your excitement for these guys, but I'm glad you enjoy them, @MakeItWorkforYou! :-)
    I wonder... does Scarpine like to grill? What do you think, chaps hmmm?
    edited July 2021 Posts: 17,727
    I heard Scarpine once tried to fund his own business startup with a sponsored 5 km park run that was supposed to be for charity.
    If Vespar was a double agent then why was she so against giving Bond the 5 million dollars to by back in? Wouldn't she want the bad guys to receive more of the British governments money?
  • MakeItWorkforYouMakeItWorkforYou originating out of Belarus.
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    If Vespar was a double agent then why was she so against giving Bond the 5 million dollars to by back in? Wouldn't she want the bad guys to receive more of the British governments money?

I hope someone can shed light on this. I've thought about this before and it beggars belief. What am I missing here?
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 1,637
    Max Zorin is real name , theres violinist with the same name , unusual but real name. I liked Scarpine , his character seemed real , not cartoony

"Is he wealthy" , not compared to his boss but perhaps good for a mill or 2 , thats not peanuts in my eyes. Im sure hes paid a lot more than most security men , the more ruthless the better is good in Zorins mind.

"Fleming would've hated these characters" , thats like saying Presleys career wouldve died in the 80s , its just guessing

They kill the men so they wont report to authorities Zorins evil scheme (Howe prolly in Zorins pocket though so he will deny Zorin up to no good) , they cannot be sure the flooding will kill all the men

"Dance into the fire" , refers maybe both to Zorins madness as well as City Hall fire and hints that perhaps this time Bond has met his match

I hope someone can shed light on this. I've thought about this before and it beggars belief. What am I missing here?

The subject of when Vesper 'turns' has been debated at length before, because it's not entirely clear. There seems to be evidence that she is corrupt from the start, and other evidence seems to suggest she 'turns' after the torture scene when Mr White arrives.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart

The subject of when Vesper 'turns' has been debated at length before, because it's not entirely clear. There seems to be evidence that she is corrupt from the start, and other evidence seems to suggest she 'turns' after the torture scene when Mr White arrives.

What? I've never heard this. Why do some people think Vesper turns only when Mr White arrives? Do they also think Mathis is a traitor? Because he would have to be in this scenario.
    My read on it is that she is trying to protect Bond by forcing him out of the tournament, and have Le Chiffre win the money and thus fulfil what she sees as “her end of the bargain” and have them release her boyfriend. Of course, is was never as simple as that, but she didnt know it.

Things get more complicated when Bond buys back in via other methods, wins, and she starts to fall for him. Hence the deal to hand over the money, and knowing “she was going to her death”.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    At the end of the day, Vesper didn't give Bond the five million because it added drama for the audience. Same reason Le Chiffre manufactured a car accident that could have killed two people he mistakenly thought he needed alive. Or why he said Mathis was his friend. It's not a well-written movie.
    My read on it is that she is trying to protect Bond by forcing him out of the tournament, and have Le Chiffre win the money and thus fulfil what she sees as “her end of the bargain” and have them release her boyfriend. Of course, is was never as simple as that, but she didnt know it.

Things get more complicated when Bond buys back in via other methods, wins, and she starts to fall for him. Hence the deal to hand over the money, and knowing “she was going to her death”.

This is probably the best explanation.
    This has probably been talked about before. So we all know in GE Trevalyan faked his death. So I assume the bullets that Orumov used in his gun were blanks. If they were blanks used on Trevalyan were they blanks used on that guard who Orumov killed who shot at Bond?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    This has probably been talked about before. So we all know in GE Trevalyan faked his death. So I assume the bullets that Orumov used in his gun were blanks. If they were blanks used on Trevalyan were they blanks used on that guard who Orumov killed who shot at Bond?

Yes indeed, it has been talked before! I think no matter how you look at it, it doesn't make sense! :D My take is that maybe his gun was loaded with real bullets, but he shot to the left side of Alec's head - making it look like he shot at his head to Bond. But even if that's right, when did they come to their little agreement? In the couple of seconds that Alec is out of Bond's sight? Otherwise, if they both want Bond to die, why didn't Alec just shoot him the second he saw him?
    I guess it being a private arrangement between Alec and Ouromov (and not between Alec and the Russian Army- so he wanted to avoid them) kind of explains it... but not really :D

I guess it's up there with 'how come Bond keeps going down under that dam to get into the Russian complex but ends up on top of a cliff?' :D
    Simplest explanation - one blank in the chamber.