The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

I watched DAF the other day and absolutely loved it, but something odd stood out to me, and maybe it's common knowledge:

Bond, in the guise of Burt Saxby, talks to Blofeld on the phone, and Blofeld tells him to kill WIllard Whyte. Soon after, the actual Burt shows up to kill Willard Whyte. Is this just a mistake, or was there a scene cut, or did I miss something?

Just one odd thing stood out to you?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I watched DAF the other day and absolutely loved it, but something odd stood out to me, and maybe it's common knowledge:

Bond, in the guise of Burt Saxby, talks to Blofeld on the phone, and Blofeld tells him to kill WIllard Whyte. Soon after, the actual Burt shows up to kill Willard Whyte. Is this just a mistake, or was there a scene cut, or did I miss something?

Yes this one is a bit of a classic continuity mistake- I remember it being mentioned in that ancient and venerated tome The Incredible World of 007 :)
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    edited June 2021 Posts: 1,690
    mtm wrote: »

Yes this one is a bit of a classic continuity mistake- I remember it being mentioned in that ancient and venerated tome The Incredible World of 007 :)

You know, I have that book, but haven't read through it for probably 20 years. It's fantastic. I mostly remember it being very pro-OHMSS and pro-LTK perhaps a bit before that was fashionable.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited June 2021 Posts: 4,395
    Why do they film the killing of the british sailors (from the Devonshire)? What is Carver doing with this footage? He can't broadcast it?!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Why do they film the killing of the british sailors (from the Devonshire)? What is Carver doing with this footage? He can't broadcast it?!

No, he can't broadcast it but perhaps he can leak it through diplomatic channels that a large media broadcaster would be privy to, in order to further stir up tensions between the British and the Chinese.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I may be vaguely mis remembering this but I think there was a cut subplot about Stamper Making these films for his own personal enjoyment, rather than Carver wanting it.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Mallory wrote: »
    I may be vaguely mis remembering this but I think there was a cut subplot about Stamper Making these films for his own personal enjoyment, rather than Carver wanting it.
    I was going to make a joke about this, how it was a request from Stamper. I hadn't heard of the subplot. It makes sense though, what with his sadistic interest in torture.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I believe in the book of the film, it’s mentioned that Stamper gets some perverse pleasure watching the films he shot. It’s actually quite a good read, and fills in a few gaps and adds details that are sadly missing from the film.
    I've only flicked through the book. From memory, there was no Charles Robinson, while Tanner took his place.
    In the song Thunderball. Is Tom Jones talking about Bond when he refers to he? Or is he talking about Largo? Or someone else?
    The lyrics do seem ambiguous, but I'd say they refer to Bond. Someone else may know different. Wikipedia says John "Barry had thought he could not write a song about a vague "Thunderball" term or the film's story, so his song was a description of the character James Bond." It also says "Barry teamed up with lyricist Don Black and wrote "Thunderball" in a rush. Tom Jones, who sang the new theme song, allegedly fainted in the recording booth after singing the song's final, high note. Jones said of the final note, "I closed my eyes and I held the note for so long when I opened my eyes the room was spinning."
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I'd Always assumed it was about Largo, " looks at the world and wants it all "
    edited June 2021 Posts: 17,802

I think parts of it could be seen as being about both Bond and the villain Largo depending on how the lyrics are couched. I have read from the lyricist that it's meant to be about Bond though but without that background information it's really up to the listener to decide who or what it is all about. I suppose it works on either level so it could be said that the lyrics have a kind of timeless open ended meaning and could be subject to several different modes of interpretation.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

I think parts of it could be seen as being about both Bond and the villain Largo depending on how the lyrics are couched. I have read from the lyricist that it's meant to be about Bond though bit without that background information it's really up to the listener to decide who or what it is all about. I suppose it works on either level so it could be said that the lyrics have a kind of timeless open ended meaning and could be subject to several different modes of interpretation.

Aw, what would the lyricist know?! :))
    But yeah, of course it's about Bond.

I think parts of it could be seen as being about both Bond and the villain Largo depending on how the lyrics are couched. I have read from the lyricist that it's meant to be about Bond though bit without that background information it's really up to the listener to decide who or what it is all about. I suppose it works on either level so it could be said that the lyrics have a kind of timeless open ended meaning and could be subject to several different modes of interpretation.

Aw, what would the lyricist know?! :))
    But yeah, of course it's about Bond.

I just meant that without the context of what the lyricist said it's open to interpretation. If you read my post again you'll see that I already made that point. It seems three point has to be laboured though. Once a song is out in the ether it can mean anything to anyone and what the lyricist intended it to mean is in itself meaningless. I mean, how many people actually go to the trouble to look up what the lyricist intended? What the listener thinks the song means is what it means to them. They project (albeit subconsciously) their own thoughts and ideas on to it in order to interpret its meaning if they deign to listen to the lyrics at all and don't just concentrate on the tune.
    Well sure, of course everything is up to personal interpretation to some degree. The song can speak to me about Bond, Largo, Vargas, or Saddam Hussein. But if someone asks what a song is about, presumably they're not asking what it means to them subjectively.

And I wasn't trying to be aggressive there! I just thought "the lyricist says it's about Bond, but it could be about anyone" was funny somehow.
    Well sure, of course everything is up to personal interpretation to some degree. The song can speak to me about Bond, Largo, Vargas, or Saddam Hussein. But if someone asks what a song is about, presumably they're not asking what it means to them subjectively.

And I wasn't trying to be aggressive there! I just thought "the lyricist says it's about Bond, but it could be about anyone" was funny somehow.

I see, and I agree of course. I just wanted to point out that without context or background information the song could have several interpretations. obviously the lyricist has said it's about Bond so that's who it is about. I was just thinking more about how lyrics to a song, poetry and sometimes even prose can be misinterpreted depending on the complexity or nuance of the writing and without any background detail provided by the author. Sorry if it appeared I was saying I knew better than the lyricist what his song was about.
    Yeah, and admittedly, Thunderball is a lot less clear than Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Goldfinger, or Golden Gun! And it's probably better for it... 🤔
    Yeah, and admittedly, Thunderball is a lot less clear than Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Goldfinger, or Golden Gun! And it's probably better for it... 🤔

Yes, a song you have to think about has more mileage and listenability than one where the meaning is all laid out for you already like a four course meal! Subtlety and nuance are admirable traits in song writing and indeed in other modes of writing, especially in poetry.

Yes, a song you have to think about has more mileage and listenability than one where the meaning is all laid out for you already like a four course meal! Subtlety and nuance are admirable traits in song writing and indeed in other modes of writing, especially in poetry.

Absolutely. If I made a list of my 20 favorite songs, it's likely I don't know what any of them are about. Even within Bond: AVTAK is genius nonsense.

Absolutely. If I made a list of my 20 favorite songs, it's likely I don't know what any of them are about. Even within Bond: AVTAK is genius nonsense.

Yes, the lyrics are close to doggerel in places but they're interesting and set the scene for the film regardless. It must've had something going for it as it went to No. 1 in the United States, the only Bond song to date ever to do so.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I have wondered about the TB lyrics my whole life. Glad I'm not the only one. ;-)

Which begs the question; who does Tina sing about? "I've been watching you from the shadows as a child." Is she talking about Pierce looking up at Connery, quietly waiting for his turn? Or is that too meta?
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Which begs the question; who does Tina sing about? "I've been watching you from the shadows as a child." Is she talking about Pierce looking up at Connery, quietly waiting for his turn? Or is that too meta?
    Must be about Trevelyan, he felt betrayed since childhood.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I have wondered about the TB lyrics my whole life. Glad I'm not the only one. ;-)

Which begs the question; who does Tina sing about? "I've been watching you from the shadows as a child."
    It's about Kevin McClory.

Goldeneye is odd. It's from a female perspective ("other girls they gather around him/if I had him I wouldn't let him out" and feels like it's a generic femme fatale talking about Bond, though in occasionally odd ways.

"You'll never know how it feels to get so close and be denied" is almost certainly a sexual reference, though, ahem, not one I would expect to see applied to Bond...!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    mattjoes wrote: »

Which begs the question; who does Tina sing about? "I've been watching you from the shadows as a child."
    It's about Kevin McClory.

Good one! :D
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    @mattjoes :))
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    In the song Thunderball. Is Tom Jones talking about Bond when he refers to he? Or is he talking about Largo? Or someone else?

James Bond, surely.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    fjdinardo wrote: »

James Bond, surely.

To be honest I used to think it was Largo but I've gotten used to hearing it's about Bond. As I said above, it works both ways.
    Q Vasilios Sotiropoulos: In the lyrics to Thunderball, who do you talk about as being ‘He’? Is it Bond, No. 1, or Largo?

A Don Black: I was thinking about Bond, thinking ‘He always runs while others walk’. In my mind it was James Bond, but I guess it could work for Largo too.

https://www.007.com/david-arnold-and-don-black-interviews/