The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Good point, and just before Felix lands, the hats disappear momentarily.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    They must be magicians hats. Felix did sport magic trousers too in 65. The CIA is into all sorts of black magic.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2021 Posts: 14,861
    QBranch wrote: »

One of the parachutists does have them in mid air, I wonder if they tied them on to his hands? :D
    They must be magicians hats. Felix did sport magic trousers too in 65. The CIA is into all sorts of black magic.

Ooh what’s this? Something in TB I missed?
    mtm wrote: »

One of the parachutists does have them in mid air, I wonder if they tied them on to his hands? :D

Ooh what’s this? Something in TB I missed?

When he and Bond are in the helicopter, his pants switch back and forth between shorts and regular trousers.
    edited February 2021 Posts: 13,879
    They switch a total of four times! And they're not even the same colour!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ha, no way! I’ve never spotted that. Maybe he couldn’t decide.

Don’t the partings in their hair leap spontaneously onto the other sides of their heads in that scene too?
    They switch a total of four times! And they're not even the same colour!

Yes, the whole thing is absurd. I hardly notice what else is going on.
    Ha, no way! I’ve never spotted that. Maybe he couldn’t decide.

Don’t the partings in their hair leap spontaneously onto the other sides of their heads in that scene too?

Such as this. Never noticed that. It is all very unsettling.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Plus doesn't Felix start talking with Pinder’s voice? C’mon film crew, attention to detail, lads!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Plus doesn't Felix start talking with Pinder’s voice? C’mon film crew, attention to detail, lads!

When he mentions the Manta Ray I believe? It's Earl Cameron's voice. The list of gaffs in TB is very lengthy.
  • DaltonFanDaltonFan California
    Why do some Bond fans think that Lashanna Lynch is going to be the new 007 From now on when it's obviously just for No Time To Die? I'm getting sick of explaining it to people.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    These are not clever people! Maybe that explains why Eon haven’t put it explicitly in any of their publicity? They knew a loud group of people would wilfully misunderstand?
    Wait, Bond's gonna be a woman?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    :))
    Not really a question. More a comment on a scene.
    In MR, Bond discovers Drax lab in Venice where the deadly nerve gas globes are assembled.
    We all know what happens next.
    “I think you owe us an explanation OO7.”
    Obviously Bond can’t admit to Drax, that he has a vial of the nerve gas, or he’ll know Bond is on to him, but I would love to hear what Bond came up with.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think what's amazing about that scene is that Freddie Grey is all angry and embarrassed and later M says "so there was a laboratory"- as if Bond would lie about it! :D

I was watching Octopussy on the weekend and spotted the line from Orlov in the bit where Bond is eavesdropped on his pen: "I get what I want and you get the genuine jewellery" to Kamal Khan. So is that the deal? That's what Khan is after- the money? What's the actual setup in that film: is he Octopussy's client? And if he just wants the money why does he care if the nuke goes off or not? Does he care? It's all very vague.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited February 2021 Posts: 2,036
    @mtm

You’re right, its all rather vague but to me Khan’s only interest in money, and maintaining his position as a high society Prince. I get he is partnered with Octopussy as a business partner of sorts, smuggling jewellery and money printing plates (as he steals them at the end), to fund this lifestyle. I think Vijay remarks he is an exiled afghan prince.

Presumably, before the events of the film, Orlov approached Khan and made a deal - Khan would use Octopussy’s network to smuggle a nuclear bomb into the US Air Base, in exchange for the valuable jewellery of the Kremlin. Either all of it or part of it - I’m not sure. Octopussy herself is only in on part of this deal - the jewellery smuggling. Hence Khan’s betrayal.

They agreed to switch the real jewellery in the Kremlin Art Repository with fake items, and when the fake faberge egg is stolen by 009, thats when they need the real one back, and the plot kicks off.

I suppose Khan doesnt really care about a nuke exploding, thousands of innocents dieing and the soviets invading Western Europe. But since when do Bond baddies care about these sort of trivial things 😂
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes, I tend to think that scene where him and Gobinda are passed by Bond in the car, racing to stop the bomb, is played a bit wrong. Khan seems keen for him to be late, but really he should be indifferent as to whether Bond stops it or not: he's got what he wants out of the deal. Really they shouldn't have had Gobinda involved with the bomb at all.
    @mtm

Its in Khan’s best interests that the bomb goes off. At that point he doesnt know Orlov is dead and the KGB are on to them. Khan doesnt want to be seen to “double cross” Orlov and potentially be tracked down by him and the Soviets at a later date.
    Does the fact that Kamal Khan is in cahoots with Russian General Orlov only make hime more of a villain.
    Surely an Afghan Prince, even an exiled one would have some resentment toward the Russian's for the take over of his homeland (1979-1989) maybe, possibly?
    Khan is motivated be greed and what he can get out of the situation.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Mallory wrote: »
    @mtm

Its in Khan’s best interests that the bomb goes off. At that point he doesnt know Orlov is dead and the KGB are on to them. Khan doesnt want to be seen to “double cross” Orlov and potentially be tracked down by him and the Soviets at a later date.

Yes that's true, I guess it's better for him if it does go off. Still, he's got a pretty big angle on Orlov if he chooses to try and come after Khan.
    Benny wrote: »
    Does the fact that Kamal Khan is in cahoots with Russian General Orlov only make hime more of a villain.
    Surely an Afghan Prince, even an exiled one would have some resentment toward the Russian's for the take over of his homeland (1979-1989) maybe, possibly?

Depends why he went into exile.
    Is/was John Cleese bitter he never got a long run as Q in the series? He has always come off in the past he was.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I always thought it was weird he did the Bonds (although I know he didn't exactly do them for the art!) bearing in mind he famously said the three laws of comedy are 'no puns, no puns and no puns' and Bond's personal sense of humour rarely rises above punning! :)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2021 Posts: 14,861
    Tomorrow Never Dies picky observations:
    Bond has just 48 hours to save the world and is sent to Hamburg. At what point did he decide to pack his Naval uniform just in case he visits a military facility in official status?
    Bond and Wai Lin are taken by helicopter to Carver's building in Bangkok. As they are speaking to Carver on a very high floor we can even hear his helicopter as it is prepared for his takeoff. And yet the building doesn't have a flat roof and is in fact, for want of a better term, very pointy: where does the helicopter land?
    If the Devonshire did in fact sink in Vietnamese waters, why are the Chinese getting close to declaring war?
    Why does Carver accompany the Stealth Boat on its mission?
    How does the Sea Drill levitate up through the ship?
    :)
    @mtm

The sea drill has always irked me, especially as it has a long cable at the back, connecting it to the stealth ship.
    @mtm About Elliot Carver, hubris, plain and simple. That was his baby, his plan, he wanted to be where the action was.

My question, which is not exclusive to Bond films: what's with beige/brown clothes villains? I've read many pulps where a badguy, often a mobster, has a "camel skin" jacket or coat. Blofeld in the novel TB wears one, if I'm not mistaken. In the films his Nehru suit is beige/brown (until SP that is). Goldfinger wears brown too, if I'm not mistaken. My question is: why?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It's not a hugely unusual colour, is it? I'm sure plenty of them don't wear warm colours.
    It's not a hugely unusual colour, is it? I'm sure plenty of them don't wear warm colours.

Not unusual, but it seems pretty much in fashion for villains, at least for villains of crime and spy fiction. Almost to the point of being a cliché: I remember one parody of a hardboiled novel where it is specifically mentioned that a mobster wears a camel skin jacket.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Not unusual, but it seems pretty much in fashion for villains, at least for villains of crime and spy fiction. Almost to the point of being a cliché: I remember one parody of a hardboiled novel where it is specifically mentioned that a mobster wears a camel skin jacket.

I'm knockin'em bandy in I?
    l00nnv6n2pok.jpg

Still, without being all Freudian on thus, I'm wondering if there isn't some significance.