The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

Is it just me or everyone is always talking about Barbara Broccoli --or Babs as the kids say these days-- and Michael G. Wilson gets way less attention?

He is not amused.

michael.png
    Something I don't think is often noticed, is MGW stopped wearing glassed a while back. That made him look years younger. At around the same time, he started to slow down a bit (though he still participates in interviews with the lovely Barbara).
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I enjoyed his cameo in NTTD and the fact it was quite recognizable to me, unlike some others he's had. I hope they don't take too long getting this next era started so he can return for yet another one.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Is Gregg Wilson visible in NTTD?
  • Who does Hugo Drax call to find a replacement for Chan in Moonraker? Seems like someone he liaises with frequently and knows about Jaws.

Why does Oddjob smile when Tilly Masterson misses in the Swiss mountains? Like he knows his boss was nearly assassinated?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited November 2021 Posts: 17,695
    Who does Hugo Drax call to find a replacement for Chan in Moonraker? Seems like someone he liaises with frequently and knows about Jaws.

Why does Oddjob smile when Tilly Masterson misses in the Swiss mountains? Like he knows his boss was nearly assassinated?

1. Drax phones up Hire-A-Henchman. They guarantee to speedily make up any staffing shortfalls for megalomaniacs worldwide or your money back. It's like central casting for henchmen.

2. Maybe it was an early version of the racket Nick Nack had going with Scaramanga in TMWTGG where if the Big Bad dies the henchman is the sole beneficiary of all of his riches?
  • So some questions to those around and fans of the franchise in the 1980's:

1) How different did For Your Eyes Only feel? Was it a welcome change upon its release?

2) What was the general consensus of A View To A Kill at the time?

3) What was the direction people were hoping the series would go to after A View To A Kill and Bond after Roger Moore at the time?

4) How did you feel watching Licence to Kill at the time in 1989? Was this the Bond you wanted after A View To A Kill?

5) Was Licence to Kill inevitable after they returned to story driven plots in For Your Eyes Only?
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 372
    1/ Yes. Everybody thought Moonraker was ridiculous and way below Spy.
    2/ Disappointed but we still loved parts of it including Macnee and Walken.
    3/ Actually fans didn't want Brosnan because the consensus was that Pierce would follow in the Roger Moore mould. So we were happy when Dalton replaced him and they promised a more down to earth Bond.
    4/ I was kinda disappointed by LD, but I loved LTK. I thought it was more badass and more Fleming than the other. However, many of my friends thought it wasn't James Bond anymore and just a copy of Lethal Weapon and Miami Vice. Most of those had never read any Fleming novel of course.
    5/ The 80's Bond see the team trying stuff, then re-adjusting for the next film. LTK is part of that. In fact, I wanted all 4 Brosnan to be even more hard hitting than LTK. Apart TND I don't think they achieved that level.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited November 2021 Posts: 712
    Most of the above, @Stamper, corresponds well with my memory of the era. Except my initial reaction to GE was, (1) it should have been darker and (2) it should have been Sean Bean as James Bond! [It took me a few years to come around to GE and love it just as it is ... well, maybe not the score, of course.]
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 372
    Interesting, for me, GE suffered to True Lies having been released over a year before.
    True Lies action for me, was what the James Bond of the 90's should have equaled.
    But of course you can't do that when you got half or a third of James Cameron's budgets.

For LTK reception, remember there were different edits, with the US getting a PG version.
    I think that's the reason it tanked, it should have been uncut as the uncut version is way more hard-hitting.

Those of us who saw the uncut first, were going "Yes, that's how edgy Bond should be!".

I remember when Bond grabs the harpoon, says "Compliments of Sharky!" and nails the frogman, I went "YEAAAAHHHHH!!!" LOL from then on, I was 200% into the film and story.

Fans always wanted scenes like Moore killing the guy from the cliff in FYEO. From that moment on, it was clear to the audience that's where Bond should go, but I'm guessing Cubby was the conservative who wanted to keep those films family oriented, and it took a while to break from that influence.
  • LocqueLocque Escaped from a Namur prison
    Is M's "Ah, for fuck's sake" in NTTD the first F-bomb in a Bond movie?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Locque wrote: »

No, M uses the word in SF, and Pepper is also saying it in LALD, although cut off so it is more implied.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I came across this and as a car enthusiast and a Bond fan I would probably love it:

550x723.jpg

One question though, is the Alfa Romeo GTV6 covered? If not, I’d be disappointed and the title of the book would also be incorrect :p
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    Locque wrote: »

No, M uses the word in SF, and Pepper is also saying it in LALD, although cut off so it is more implied.

You could even allege that Dalton is saying it in TLD when he's trying to tell Kara to board the plane. It definitely looks like he's mouthing it! :)

Maybe I'm starting "Bond mouthing things" v 2.0 with that one ;)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 13,877
    I thought I saw Paloma mouth it too when she runs out of ammo.
    When you are here, do you find yourself talking and thinking more about the things you like about the Bond films/books/games, or the things you dislike about them? Does that "balance" affect your enjoyment of the Bond films/books/games in any way?
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited December 2021 Posts: 712
    Can anyone provide some information or, even better, maybe a link with detailed information about John Barry's rocked-up, re-recording (or is it a re-mix?) of his OHMSS theme?

About the only thing I know is that it appeared on his 1970 album entitled "Ready When You Are, JB".

For those unfamiliar with it, here it is in all its drum-filled, heavy-synth glory:

Also here:

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I want someone to answer @Feyador, but I have another one. Do we have a technical questions thread? I'd like to capture some screenshots of NTTD for an art project, but don't know quite how to.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited January 2022 Posts: 2,025
    Are there any recorded comments from Fleming about the success of DN and FRWL? He died in 1964 so will have been alive to see the immense reaction to those films.
    Does anybody know who played Vesper in this screen test? And was it someone seriously considered for the role or someone they brought in just for Craig to act against?

• BennyBenny keeping tabs on youAdministrator, Moderator
    edited May 2022 Posts: 14,770
    In Octopussy, who do Mishka & Grishka work for?
    If they work for Octopussy, what’s their motive for helping Kamal Khan?
    If they work for Kamal then why are they performing at Octopussy’s circus.
    It’s revealed that Octopussy and Kamal are partners with Orlov for the fake jewellery theft, but that’s a business deal that all benefit from. The odd usage of the twins is quite confusing .
    You could even throw Orlov into the equation as one of the twins is seen at the Kremlin art repository with Orlov.
    I think they’re great villains and are a good inclusion in the film. But I got thinking about it whilst sat in traffic this morning, and couldn’t really answer it.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    Ultimately Kamal. His dealings seem to have overlapped with Octopussy's in multiple ways. It's nt hard to imagine him infiltrating here troupe, or recruiting from it.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    I have two questions:

1. When did you see Bond drink water? He's only drinking liquor. He has a higher risk of having a kidney problems and also liver problems. I never saw him drinking water.

2. If the villains die, they're rich, right? Where do you think their wealth will go? What will happen to their properties and wealth? 
    MI6HQ wrote: »
    I have two questions:
    2. If the villains die, they're rich, right? Where do you think their wealth will go? What will happen to their properties and wealth? 

Where ever the villain is from their wealth probably would be taken by that country's government
    Or by their heirs : family, friends (think Nick Nack for Scaramanga), etc.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    @MI6HQ
    I once wrote a short "essay"about Bond and water. As far as I know, Bond never drank water. He even isn't seen drinking after the desert scene in TSWLM.
    Leiter is drinking water in QoS and Beam tells him better no to do, thinking that kids peed in it...
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Are there ever flashbacks in the Bond films? I can't really think of any. The opening of NTTD is a borderline case, where the action happens chronologically in the film, but the first scenes are of course previous to the other Craig films.
    Apart from old scenes in title sequences there are flashbacks in OHMSS and DAD. I believe there are even more.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2022 Posts: 14,810
    MR as well of course, when Bond dreams of a horse's arse and Q's face.

OHMSS is sort of different in a way, isn't it? If you mean the bit in M's office, Bond seems to be sort of imagining things he didn't see but knows happened i.e. he was presumably unconscious when Tracy was taken out of the avalanche? I think we see him flail around a bit but did he see it? I'm not sure. But there might be another flashback in it I've forgotten.
    @mtm Yes, I thought about the scene in OHMSS you mentioned. I'm not sure if this is "officially" a flashback...