The Girls' Room

Comments

Sandy wrote:
    Good luck with the renewal @Germanlady (by the way congrats to your daughter)! I need to find courage to organize my app (tiny, owned by the uni). I simply have no space where to put so much stuff. I guess I'll have to start looking for a new one sooner than later.

I'm starting to get tired of the discussions, which is not good. I know my feeling is shared by others. Weather is steaming hot in here, sucks away my energy I'm afraid :)

It is - like I said and also, how it gets so tiring. But once its going to be all about the music, I am off anyway..

I have only been outside a bit today with all the work - so not effcted by any heat. It was nice enough inside.

Did you intend to stay in the little app? If you are all set, you might like to make yourself a real home.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I can stay till the end of the year, at least! But as I'm staying in Germany for a long time I'll get an appartment for myself, a real one! But I love the place where I'm living right now, it's just a shame it's so small.
    Out of the three Ladies here, we have two interesting ones.
    A Portugese in Germany and a Yank in Japan :)

The leadown is a German in Germany. How boing :((
    Germanlady wrote:

Ah, don't say that GL! No matter what some people thing, you are nothing but boring ;)
    Sandy wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

Ah, don't say that GL! No matter what some people thing, you are nothing but boring ;)

Thanks, but I so love to travel and be someplace else, its absurd I live in Germany
    ;) Even though, there is still a lot good in this country.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 1,497
    I am always calm when I write my posts.... I never pound on the table, or on my keyboard, I don't yell at my computer screen.........

Oh but I wish you did! It's part of your mystique! JK ;-)
    Germanlady wrote:
    I never said that Bond, or any man for that matter, that dresses in women's clothes is weak. I am just saying is it contrary to the original character.

Then try to see the intend, which was..

...try to grab the utmost attention to the topic of the ad. It was Daniels idea, knowing that Bond changing from Bond to a woman would surely get more attention then just the same without the dress change. So, it was done to multiple the views for the subject matter. Thing is - Bond can do those things and there is no reason to feel insecure about it.

I respect the ad for the message it is presenting, but I do have a problem with it. In spite of the message, it is the producers basically admitting that they think the Bond character is misogynist--basically apologizing for the character and the history. It's almost as if they are ashamed of the image of Bond. To me that's hypocritical, because if they truly feel this way, why do they continue to exploit the character and his misogynist qualities for financial gain?
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 6,601
    JBFan626 wrote:

I respect the ad for the message it is presenting, but I do have a problem with it. In spite of the message, it is the producers basically admitting that they think the Bond character is misogynist--basically apologizing for the character and the history. It's almost as if they are ashamed of the image of Bond. To me that's hypocritical, because if they truly feel this way, why do they continue to exploit the character and his misogynist qualities for financial gain?

Bond in his long history is all that is critisized in that ad, yes. To make a point, who better can you choose, then someone known to be a macho man? There is and never was a question about it and in real life, a lot of his behaviour towards women (more so in the old films) would be a No Go today.
    BUT he is a film figure or novel character and as such, is ALLOWED to be whatever the writer or prods make him to be and that is fine. We love him that way...he is fantasy
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 80
    JBFan I think you are missing the point, governments, the military, judiciary, media, finance and commerce are all predominantly run or controlled by males who in turn influence how society is run. Women, non whites and the disabled either have to do it by themselves, have to pas a patronising quota approval entry into society, sponsors, tokenism or having to work twice as hard to prove their worthy to break through the glass ceiling, face resentment for making it and when and if they do make it, the ladder gets pulled up behind them. Still today if a male and female walk into a room the vast assumptions will be she is the assistant. We even have posters clambering for the return of a Male M.

If Bond an iconic alpha male can appear to acknowledge the gross disparity more people will sit up and take notice more so than the likes of Barbara who is viewed by some as another feminist bitch hell bent on emasculating men and this sort of argument I find rather trite considering the dice is already loaded by the male dominated hierarchy.

Remember men have the right to vote (and do things as they deemed fit) whereby women were given that right and in some instances no rights at all.

It’s also interesting to note the comments re male/female should be afforded equal rights re custody of children. In the not too distant past males were considered the bread winner and a woman’s domain was to stay at home and look after the kids. Now that women have proven they can do both the law which was designed to maintain the status quo didn’t factor in men who want to nurture too.

The hard reality is that it’s only certain changes of laws on behaviour and not so much attitudes that have directly impacted on some peoples way of life. If a man has to actually fight for some rights and not take things for granted, then perhaps changes can be made that will benefit and gives us all an even break.
    Great post, hisqos.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 80
    Germanlady wrote:
    Great post, hisqos.

Thanks GermanLady, my grammar is a bit off. I don't post much, more of a lurker, but some things just need to be said from a female perspective.
    Didn't even know, you were female. Could have been from an understanding guy.
    But you could post on here among the girls ;) and from tim to time some guys.
    Welcome to the girls room @hisqos! Hope you post more times here :)
    This topic has been a bit lonely lately, time to change it. Are any of the girls around today?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Waking up here in Japan. Friday is always a happy day (last day of the work week) but tiring, too (I really work two jobs at my school, not just one). A little burnt out.
    Anyway, on to Bond world: So happy with the Skyfall teaser trailer! Liked the costume designer's video blog, want more of that. Really want to know the Skyfall theme song and singer! That is what I want next. What do you really want to know NEXT about Skyfall? I am hoping this summer (which I don't enjoy; sticky humidity and too hot) will fly by.
    We haven't seen any footage or set photos of Ben Winshaw or Helen McCrory, so I'd like to see what they look like in character. And Albert Finney too, because that brief blurry shot of him in the trailer really wasn't much. :-/
    Was as surprised as anybody how much stuff was included in this one. I was like "OMG" :D

I have no special wish, what I wanna se next. For me, it starts now, that I might stop watching them. IF I can...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited June 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Germanlady wrote:
    Was as surprised as anybody how much stuff was included in this one. I was like "OMG" :D

I have no special wish, what I wanna se next. For me, it starts now, that I might stop watching them. IF I can...

The cool thing about the videoblogs is that they are showing you stuff that isn't spoiling the plot or anything, and just giving a tease. Rest easy @Germanlady, because EON wouldn't put into the video blogs anything that would ruin the film, ie. spoilers, plot twists.
    Germanlady wrote:

The cool thing about the videoblogs is that they are showing you stuff that isn't spoiling the plot or anything, and just giving a tease. Rest easy @Germanlady, because EON wouldn't put into the video blogs anything that would ruin the film, ie. spoilers, plot twists.

Thanks. Thing is, even though I was here all way through, I know pretty little about the plot - avoiding the clapperboard logistics etc. But with footage like this, its starting to give you an inside into scenes and how they look etc. Not sure, I can look away, but will try to from now on. The chances are rather low though :(
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    hisqos wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:
    Great post, hisqos.

Thanks GermanLady, my grammar is a bit off. I don't post much, more of a lurker, but some things just need to be said from a female perspective.

First you make such a great post, and then you call it female perspective? I beg to differ!
    Not that it's going to happen anytime soon, but when I get kids I claim the right to help raise them! In work I just want the people that do the job best, I couldn't care less about their gender, preferences and whatnot.

There is one funny line in QoS that subscibes this as well. Bond says to Camille something in the line of ' my sources tell me you slept with Greene to get to Medrano'. She then asks if it offends him, and he says ' not in the slightest'.

Since I broke up with my GF a couple of months ago I have been behaving a bit like a playboy, sleeping around. But it doesn't mean I disrespect or use women. If you're honest to eachother, there seldom is a problem.

Men and women have the equal rights and responsibilities, even to have fun! ;)

hisqos wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:
    Great post, hisqos.

First you make such a great post, and then you call it female perspective? I beg to differ!
    Not that it's going to happen anytime soon, but when I get kids I claim the right to help raise them! In work I just want the people that do the job best, I couldn't care less about their gender, preferences and whatnot.

There is one funny line in QoS that subscibes this as well. Bond says to Camille something in the line of ' my sources tell me you slept with Greene to get to Medrano'. She then asks if it offends him, and he says ' not in the slightest'.

Since I broke up with my GF a couple of months ago I have been behaving a bit like a playboy, sleeping around. But it doesn't mean I disrespect or use women. If you're honest to eachother, there seldom is a problem.

I get what you are saying. And it is nice to hear that you are for equal rights, working both ways for women and men. But I think hisqos was just stating what was natural, it*s her thinking and she is female; it is a female perspective. And even today a female perspective is not always the same or close to a male perspective. And hisqos was right about the past: It is not so far in the past really that nearly everything was written, including history books and laws, from a strongly male perspective. History shows we (many civilizations) have had a strongly male dominated culture for centuries (with women not having many rights). Of course I am glad things are finally balancing out more. But it is important we continue to discuss many things from all perspectives, I feel.

I get what you are saying. And it is nice to hear that you are for equal rights, working both ways for women and men. But I think hisqos was just stating what was natural, it*s her thinking and she is female; it is a female perspective. And even today a female perspective is not always the same or close to a male perspective. And hisqos was right about the past: It is not so far in the past really that nearly everything was written, including history books and laws, from a strongly male perspective. History shows we (many civilizations) have had a strongly male dominated culture for centuries (with women not having many rights). Of course I am glad things are finally balancing out more. But it is important we continue to discuss many things from all perspectives, I feel.

Yes, well put. We haven't left behind that past yet.
    And I seem to have put my remarks in the quote section bu mistake. I am still learning to navigate the forum.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I understand your concern and yes, there's still a world to win, but you have to be carefull not to make the same mistake, 'claiming' opinions/statements etc. on the basis of gender. If you do so you give those who oppose you the posibility of opposing, if you know what i mean. Calling it a 'female' perspective will give those masogenysts the opportunity of discarding your opinion becouse it's a 'female' perspective.

It isn't, it's @hisqos, and one that is shared by you and me.
    hisqos wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:
    Great post, hisqos.

Until she is labelled a whore and a slut, when you are likely to get a pat on the back for being a player.

I am female and it is my POV. If because I've identified myself as such, shouldn't the question be why does this then count against my gender and thus make my/our comments less worthy.
    @Commander Ross: I, too, disagree. Of course, gender has an impact on how you perceive things. And, its great, you don't care about gender, where it comes to work and other rights, but many still do and that makes it a female affair, which again makes it interesting to read, how a woman experiences and views it. It doesn't make it LESS valid, but more valid, because equality is something, woman have to fight for still, so its of more interest to us then to men.
    I didn't say it made it less valid, I'm just saying that you shouldn't base any arguments on gender.
    Let's put it this way. If I say Americans are stupid becouse they talk about soccer instead of football, you're most likely to conclude I'm not an American. But why? And if I were an American, would that make my opnion less worthy?

All you're doing by saying it's a 'female perspective' is telling me that there's something wrong with me as a male to have the same perspective. If you want to break the 'us-them' line of thought, you shouldn't use words that define that line of thought. If you say ' female perspective' you're instantly implying there's also a ' male perspective' and it ought to be different.
    Same goes for ' white men's perspective' which implies ther must be a ' black men's perspective' or ' yellow men's perspective'.

Actually, @Germanlady, you now tellme that me making the same point as @hisqos is far less interesting then her doing so becouse she's female and I'm not!

Where's the equality in that? You're discriminating me on the basis of gender, not knowing about my background, my experiences and whatnot. Just becouse I'm male my opnion is worth less here.

The longer you keep on claiming discussions like this, the longer you keep on making differences in gender yourself, the longer it will take to finally be seen as equal. If you actually think there's a female perspective, you'll also actually accept there's a glass ceiling.
    hisqos wrote:
    Until she is labelled a whore and a slut, when you are likely to get a pat on the back for being a player.
    So fight that! If a girl is called a slut by bystanders, why not turn around and say 'no, I'm a player'? Why actually accept what people call you?

By the way, nobody ever padded my back for beeing a player, and I'd never accept anyone doing so. In the same way I never ever called one of my best friends a slut, allthough she's been with far more men then I have been with women. It's nobody's business what you do in your private life and if you like to go out and have fun while you're single, by anything that's worth anything to you, do so! As Bond said, (does it offend you?) ' not in the slightest!' Why would it?

The basics here are that you want public opinion to change, but still accept that same public opinion as a rule. In that way it'll never change. Start by not accepting that public opinion! And I'm not saying you should definately sleep around, that's up to you, but you should counter any such comment made to anyone as soon as you overhear it.

Well, that's for me lecturing today, I'm sorry. I can get carried away sometimes when I care about things.

With the risk of getting a triple post and thus a reprimande from the staff here, I didn't mean to offend nor derail this lovely thread, I just wanted to give some food for thought. Sorry ladies, I'll keep my trap shut!
    No, it's okay, CommanderRoss - it's just that, for me, I did not feel like getting into a heavy discussion about female/male perspectives. I think some valid points have been made all around. However, I'd like to be able to move on a bit. I think it is perfectly okay to say I am speaking from a female perspective, because obviously I am. :) I do not want to have to defend my saying that I speak from that perspective.

I cannot speak for the other ladies on here, but I do speak up for myself when I should and I do not accept women (or any person) being treated unfairly or denigrated. I appreciate your ideas and comments. Don't feel the need to shut up, please. But I'd like to move on a bit. If the other ladies want to continue dicsussing male/female perspective, the politics and social ramifications, etc., that is certainly fine with me. We are all individuals of course. It is nice to hear your thoughts; I simply did not have more that I wanted to add to this.